Hitesh portfolio

@hitusohi1

Indian hotel is the sector leader in a sector in market fancy. It remains strong in the charts, and have demonstrated a thumbs up from markets post results.

I remain bullish on the sector and see a lot of similarities between charts of hotels at current juncture and sugar sector before the rally in sugar sector began.

In sugar sector, sector leader balrampur gave the first indication of sectoral bullishness by breaking out above previous all time highs. A lot of second and third rung sugar stocks had all this while formed bullish patterns like cup and handle, rounding bottom, flag etc.

A lot of fundamental triggers in terms of ethanol story were well known beforehand.

Similar things are present in the hotel sector. Sector leader IH is the clear runaway leader. Most second and third rung hotel stocks have bullish formations. I have shared some charts in relevant threads. Major breakouts are awaited. I feel most of these hotel stocks are simmering and getting ready for moves. Fundamentally, they are biggest beneficiary of the post covid unlock themes.

Disc: IH remains a recommendation in our hitpicks advisory. No position in IH, but have positions in other hotel stocks as a basket, including kamat, lemontree and eih.

16 Likes

Hitesh Bhai (@hitesh2710) - Thanks for all the patience to answer each one of us and generosity in sharing knowledge.

// What’s your approach to have a broad view, gazing opportunities/green pastures across the market?

// 1st attempt to read a chart after reading books from ‘John Murphy’ and ‘Steve Nison’. Is the below sensible enough or way off?

Divis Lab, Weekly (commentary and image below):

• Support at price ~4000.
  • Mid-March 21 till Mid-Oct 21, uptrend as a flag post formation from a price of 3167 till 5434.
  • Mid-Oct 21 till End of Jan-22, flag formation with ~66% correction.
  • End of Jan-22 onwards, consolidating in the form of an ascending triangle.

Expected target prices:
1- 5500 → ascending triangle pattern
2- 6500 → flag post formation pattern

Disc: Hold the stock.

@Storyteller - Although Hitesh bhai responded, his posts in the below thread (incase you are yet to explore) helped me to understand technical analysis in general and GMMA in particular.
/VP Chintan Baithak 2019 - Technicals for Long Term Investors

1 Like

Hitesh Bhai, what is your take on LIC IPO? is it a suitable candidate for Coffee Can portfolio? will it grow with consistent compunder or it will be more like other PSU? and also at IPO valuations, is it worth entering now? Kindly guide

1 Like

@Surender

Having a broader view of markets basically means you keep your eyes and ears open and try to see where the fancy is building up. A regular look at 52 weeks high list (usually easily available even in newspapers or on websites) will provide useful information. If a lot of stocks from a particular sector are making it to that list, then it makes sense to start looking deeper into the sector. Similarly if one looks at decent results reported by a lot of companies in the sector, then that merits a more closer fundamental look. e.g Currently a lot of private banks are reporting decent numbers and are available at reasonable valuations. Similar might hold for NBFCs too .

The flag you posted on Divis is not a typical flag. Its too droopy. Usually a flag should not correct more than 50% of preceding rally (flagpole). Ideal is 38.2% of preceding rally. Droopy flags are not likely to flutter hard.

While reading up on technicals, main idea should be to master one pattern at a time. If you are reading on flag patterns, try to read word by word what the author says and try to see practical examples. Once that pattern is mastered, move to next topic.

And if you are taking up reading/learning technicals, it should be with full vigour and faith and not as a passing fancy. Otherwise its difficult to master and implement. It is a subject as vast and deep as fundamental analysis and hence beginning with half baked conviction is not going to help.

@Mudit.Kushalvardhan I am not a big fan of IPOs… So as of now LIC is an avoid for me.

34 Likes

Hey hitesh ji hope you doing good! I have few ques for you

1. Your views on hero motocorp ( technofunda) as it has been in a downtrend from long time and i see tailwinds coming as ev adoption play, govt support for ev vehicals etc.
    2 . Your views on intellect design
  2. Laslty deepak nitrite
  3. Views on market and which stocks you are seeing good value in this fall?!
    Loved your thread! :heart::zap:
4 Likes

Hitesh sir, I noticed that you had started the thead on Indoco Remedies way back in 2013 and were active on it for a while. In 2019 you posted about how you plan to continue to track the company for a turnaround opportunity when some of the regulatory overhangs from US and UK started easing. Curious if you are still tracking the company and what your thoughts on it are from a risk-reward point of view, today when it in the 335-350 range where it has faced resistance and has taken support as well a few times as well over the past 18 months.

From a fundamental standpoint, the ophthalmics and injectibles continue to be good opportunities and the MR productivity increase should come through as the management have been guiding for. They do however import a lot of their APIs from China as per my understanding which could lead to margin pressure with China locking down large districts recently.

The company trades at close to 2 times sales and 20% operating margins (70% gloss margins!) now and has had improving ROCE from 1% to 16% in the last three years, and this is likely to go up further as operating leverage plays out and growth kicks in. In my biased view, it looks cheap at 22 times trailing earnings. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Disclosure: Have a mid sized position in my portfolio. Evaluating adding more but worried about technical weakness and potential margin pressures.

4 Likes

Dear Hitesh Ji,

With the markets gyrating the way they are a lot of novice investors like me are getting nervous about where things are headed.

In that spirit, I wanted to ask you: What are the top 3 things you learnt later in your investing career that you wish you knew at the start of your career?

Thanks again,

3 Likes

@Bhavya_Vyas

Hero Moto chart is not too conclusive to take a bullish call. It might be in a bottoming out process, but bottom formation is a painful process and often frustrating for an investor.

Intellect design stock price had a parabolic move from 650 to 900 plus from Feb 22 to April 22 and came down hard back to 650 levels within next few weeks. Last leg of the rally has a mountainous feel to the chart and charts with these kind of patterns usually take a long time to make comebacks.

I had posted deepak nitrite chart on the 52 week highs thread citing the mountain kind of chart, where stock prices race up fast within a short time and come down equally fast. In a way deepak nitrite and intellect have similar patterns though with different timeframes.

Personally I feel that this whole chemical story is over for now and it will need some consolidation before they make a comeback and I am not too sure about that too.

Our market has been in a downward spiral in recent weeks and that is all a part of the larger correction that began in Oct 2021. There have been wild swings on both sides during that time and there have been a group of stocks that have emerged winners and many of them have given up a lot of their gains too. Its that kind of brutal market where if you are not in the right sector and stock, its difficult to make money. I would like to see how and when we end this leg of the correction and then take a call on what to do. As of now things seem quite uncertain and investor confidence has been shaken. But on a bigger scale, I think this should be considered a healthy correction as this seems to be throwing froth out of the system, which had accumulated all throughout the rally from lows of 7500 in March 2020 to highs of 18600 in Oct 2021, a matter of around 18 months. Even if markets correct for half of the duration of the rally, we might be having a correction lasting 9 months. I don’t know when and where the correction is going to end, but the intervening rallies also provide decent opportunities to make money if right sector and stocks are selected.

30 Likes

@Apurva_Dubey

Equity markets are hard taskmasters and keep on teaching new lessons to even the most seasoned investors. So the idea is to make money in bull markets and acquire knowledge in bear markets.

At the start of my investing career, after reading only one Lynch book, I felt that I knew all I needed to know. I wish I had read more books at that time and imbibed more knowledge. I would have loved to have my current knowledge of technicals (still learning and trying to improve) at the beginning of my investing career.

The second thing I would have wished for at the beginning of my investing career is patience. As a newbie investor I was very impatient and kept on churning my picks and in the process lost the chances of riding some big multibaggers. As an example, I owned a decent quantity of TTK prestige. I was very very early to catch the trend. I remember having bought around 120 bucks. And suddenly price went up to 180 within a matter of a few weeks and since I had never seen such gains in a short period of time and since we were coming out of the mother of all bear markets, the fear of losing profits reigned supreme and I sold off. The stock price went up to a level of 4200 within next 2-3 years. That provided me some learning on how to ride winners which I used in Ajanta, though only partially.

The third and most important thing is to not feel too disturbed by bear markets or too excited by bull markets … I have kept the sentence " This too shall pass" as a cornerstone to my investment philosophy and even in life. Earlier during bear markets, I used to feel dejected, betrayed and tried to find faults with myself or someone else, but now, its all a part and parcel of the journey and I tend to take things in their stride.

89 Likes

@Vineetjain111

Indoco remedies is a stock I had studied and as you say tracked for long but it was taking too long for management promises to materialise and ultimately I lost interest. Few months back there was a good rally in the stock price backed by a couple of quarters of good numbers and promise of a better future, but then I found the valuations too expensive for even the most bullish projections.

Now I find the stock price has made a rounding top pattern and seems to be breaking down. Good solid support could come in around 250-300, which may not be too far off from current levels, but even if the stock price stops falling, it will probably consolidate and try to make a launchpad for future rallies (if there are any)… I equate these kind of set ups to have an opportunity cost and prefer to park my money elsewhere.

15 Likes

Thank you Hitesh sir for your feedback. This corroborates my understanding as well that the charts are pretty weak. My sense is the next unpmove will come when the narrative starts reflecting in the numbers, which may be a couple of quarters away. Will wait and watch till then. Market throwing up lots of opportunities anyway.

Also curious if you’ve been tracking the Music Streaming space? Tips and Saregama amanagements are talking of sustained 25% growth year on year and the business model intuitively suggests that this is likely to happen with good FCF generation. Tips has corrected from highs of 2600 to 1600 and now trades at under 30 times trailing earnings, with the demerger of the music business around the corner. Fundamentally seems like good secular risk reward. But charts look very weak.

How does one best approach this kind of setup?

4 Likes

@Vineetjain111

I dont track the music streaming space too closely so not much idea about these companies. But wherever chart structure is weak I would avoid buying unless I am absolutely convinced about my investment thesis. I prefer to buy on the way up rather than on the way down.

About managements talking about sustained 25% year on year growth, I would prefer to do my own checks and thinking rather than take the words of management. And we do not know what kind of disruption these spaces can face.

7 Likes

Overall our markets along with the global markets have been in a severe downward spiral. This has been the case since nearly six weeks now from the top of 18114. And in the last couple of days there has been glimpses of capitulation in small and midcap space.

These kind of scenarios are usually fertile grounds for a rally to materiaiise. And if the fall is severe, rallies can also surprise. The only noticeable thing in this ongoing correction since Oct 21 is that rallies usually last 4-6 weeks and falls take 6-9 weeks. One has to position accordingly and start looking out for trouble once we have had a rally lasting 3-4-5 weeks. How long this kind of phase lasts is anybody’s guess. We have had a stellar rally from lows of 7500 nifty in March 2020 to 18600 in October 2021, wherein index more than doubled in value over 18 months. These kind of rallies lead to a lot of froth and speculative momentum, and in an effort to cleanse the system of these excesses, the corrections happen and many a times these corrections do not stop at expected levels. The pendulum tends to swing from one corner to the opposite corner. In the process a lot of portfolios (and egos) are bruised badly.

A lot of novice investors including some newbies who have no knowledge of markets went for online courses and quick learn methods and indulged in the dangerous game of speculation in futures and options based on swing trading and other methods. This usually is a sign of trouble and leads to scathing corrections. We seem to have witnessed on such correction in last few weeks. Even the advertisements of online trading platforms had some arrogant lines as in case of Groww. “ye platform sabhi ka hai boss” or something similar in meaning. Similar was the case in cryptocurrency. And now the chickens have come home to roost.

Any kind of sustained catharsis leads to purge of negativity and often lays the foundation for good outcomes. So seasoned investors should welcome these kind of purges, even though it means temporary pain of seeing portfolio suffering severe cuts.

75 Likes

Hello sir,

Whats your view on powrgrid corp?
IS the zone looks for buying as its trading 52 weeks high in current weak market too

Hello Hitesh Sir

Just wanted to know your thoughts on sector where you see tailwinds. e.g. I think Hotel, Sugar sector will grow as people are frustrated sitting at home and started going out. Similarly govt proposal to have 20% ethanol blending will help sugar companies diversifying and converting sugarcane to sugar or ethanol or mix depending on the demand. Infact some of the companies started calling themselves as energy company(seems extreme). But i think even if we can’t achieve 20% by 2025, atleast we can have 15% ethanol blending from current 10%. Anyone who want to invest can take basket approach? Wanted to hear your thoughts on these two sectors and any other sector having tailwinds like defense.

1 Like

Hi @hitesh2710 Sir, your view on this portfolio of mine which I’m thinking to hold for long term (3-5 years):

TATAELXSI Buying Price - 8,800.00
TATAMOTORS Buying Price - 460.00
TATAPOWER Buying Price - 260.00
TATASTEEL Buying Price - 1350.00
VEDANTA Buying Price - 416.00

I know it is heavily built on Tata’s. But is it worth holding with these buying price? There has been significant correction in the recent market. If they are good, should I be averaging them at this point? Your view on this please.

Thanks once again,
Sumit

2 Likes

@kumars1672

We currently are in a very fragile macro environment with a lot of geopolitical risks ( by itself these may not touch us as we seem to be far away from Ukraine and Russia both, but indirectly it affects global supply chains and events like crude price surge can throw a lot of calculations for a toss.), raw material price supply and price issues, inflation issues etc.

That inflation was going to rise was a given because in response to Covid, most of the govts resorted to mass scale printing of currencies to tide over the expenses in dealing with the crisis. Purchasing power of the underlying currency therefore had to go down.

Regarding tailwinds, you need to notice the quarterly results of companies coming out with results and commentaries coming out of companies. That should give an idea about where there are tailwinds. Hotels have strong sectoral tailwinds, but how long they last needs to be seen. I see good times for these hotels atleast for a couple of quarters. Maybe beyond too, but I would like to take things as they come in these kind of cyclical companies.

About sugar sector, I think it has become a chewing gum which has been chewed completely and everyone and their mother got into it in past few months. I think the easy money in sugar has been made. Some of the stocks in the sector have gone up multiple times post breakouts and one cannot expect these to keep going up.

I recall an interesting anecdote Howard Marks narrated in his talk in Mumbai which I and a few other VP guys were lucky enough to attend. He said that one day his son came to him all worked up and excited and told him to buy a car company whose latest model was selling like hotcakes. So Howard asked him how he knew? His son told him he read in newspapers. So Howard asked the question, “Who doesn’t know about this?” The key message from this anecdote is once the news is out in public domain, (these days it does not even need to make newspapers, Whatsapp and other social media platform are much faster in spreading news/rumours) most of the news is priced in. I think similar is the status of ethanol story. Everyone and their mother knows about ethanol and trying to bet on it at this late stage may not lead you to multibaggers.

@hitusohi1 Powergrid chart looks strong but seems a bit stretched. With the kind of correction we are seeing in the markets, we need to look out for stocks which report good numbers and have good future propsects and still have not made major moves due to market uncertainty. Typically these stocks will go into a consolidation range with very low volumes and not crash too much along with markets, or if they correct on any given day, they will again attain resilience in a few days.

@Sumit_Das You can start a portfolio thread of your own citing your reasons for buying individual stocks. And the reasons have to be more elaborate than them belonging to tata group. Another thing to see is that if you plan to hold something for 3-5 years, the business should not be a cyclical business. I see tata steel, tata motors, vedanta which are clear cut cyclical businesses.

33 Likes

Hello @hitesh2710 Sir !

I am being into MF investments since around 6 years and my MF portfolio has given me around 20% CAGR.

I am into direct stock investments since 3 years.

I am an aggressive investor with high risk appetite and expect my direct stock investment to give more than 30% returns as then only it would be sensible to give so much time in studying about the market and the scrips.

So, @hitesh2710 Sir, my important question is :

To meet my expectations of > 30% CAGR shall I get out of my bluechip stocks based on coffee can investing : Asian Paints, Titan, HUL, ICICI Bank, TCS since expecting this type of returns would be too much from these bluechip stocks…

And Sir what should be the ideal allocation towards large caps, mid caps, small caps & micro caps stocks in order to yield high CAGR > 30%…

Seeking your views / advise on above points Sir.

1 Like

@Shakti_Srivastava

While investing, it may be okay to have aspirational goals for returns. But markets have no obligation to provide those returns to you. Sometimes we have to look at ourselves and our own choices and try to figure out where we have failed. That too is part and parcel of learning.

Investing on your own is a constant learning process. Sometimes it takes many years before we get our aspired returns. But once you know the ropes of investing, there is nothing more satisfying than generating suerior returns. And acquisition of knowledge by reading and observing and seeing the knowledge being converted into more than satisfying returns by practically investing in the markets is a matter of intense satisfaction. There is a certain pride in generating better than average returns over a period of time and making yourself financially independent.

About selecting stocks that generate higher returns, be it small, midcaps or large caps. The core philosophy in investing has to be to spot companies that can show super normal growth and as long as growth lasts, stocks can give big returns. And when you spot these companies early, you have your big multibaggers.

If you look at the past couple of years, even relatively large caps like tata steel (a cyclical) has generated nearly 4-5 times and all we needed to do was to pick it up at right time and ride it. Another example could have been the sugar pack. There is no dearth of winners in markets. The idea always has to be to learn to invest and specialise in all types of investments, be it growth stories, turnarounds, cyclicals etc. And these kind of learnings take time and one has to be patient, keep reading, observing and be aware to how markets operate.

Personally in my experience, the small and midcaps have given me the big winners, but that’s the way I invest and may not apply to everyone. You have to find your niche and try to get good at it.

I would suggest you to keep looking at opportunities that markets throw up every time they go into corrective mode and try to figure out winners of the next bull run. That’s where the big money is made.

49 Likes

Getting 20 % CAGR through Mutual funds is awesome. You are doing fantastic. Aiming for 30 % CAGR through direct stock investing is too much to ask for. Its very difficult to get such a high CAGR, that too consistently. No mutual Fund Manager, no PMS /AIF has given 30 % CAGR over long run. Even Warren Buffet CAGR is around 20 %… I will not advise you anything…Just putting facts for your consideration…

16 Likes