HDFC Life Insurance Company

Short term effect of covid 19 on life insurance business

• lock-down will have significant impact on 4Q and FY21on both sales and earnings of life insurers.
  • 40-60% of business in March is generated in the last 10-12 days
  • 33% of business of whole year is done in last qtr
  • ULIP based product low share (25%) , but yes in immediate future people will see short term return and start surrendering (as per interview by management)
  • There could be some negative impact on persistency in FY21
  • changes to our mortality assumptions(by actuaries) hence any changes to EV due to the same need to be seen.
    All above on formidable base of high growth last 2 years

Disclosure: sol out last week as valuations are high and near term headwinds
Source: Management interview of HDFC and rivals, research report and credit ratings.

2 Likes

Biggest effect of virus is not mentioned. As per management, people will realise the need for protection. So, gone will be the days of Ulip, march sales dependency, 80c etc. Insurance will be sold for protection,.what it truly stands for.
Disc. Added in past few weeks

3 Likes

https://www.bseindia.com/corporates/anndet_new.aspx?newsid=8e3e8d33-277e-46ff-a022-74d53665cc86

why they should raise funds? can anyone pls explian as what is the need for fund raising

Insurance company has to maintain healthy solvency margin
In case of HDFC life it’s 195% at the time of last 9 months results

At that time company made a point that Internal accruals have supported new business growth so no capital infusion require in last 8 years except issuance of ESops

Now my presumption first positive and than negative

Positive: after covid 19 breakout they must be anticipating more pure protection business and in that as we all know there are more upfront cost involved but they are more profitable
If they raised money now they can write more protection business

Negative : 1 may be some mark to market losses in book ,
2…If one study there sensitive analysis book is prone to sudden stock market fluctuations
10% decrease in market have -1.3% effects

3…Other possibilities is mortality morbidity assumption…but I think average age of there clients is probably 37.5 years (young) (more immune people)

As I am a shareholder I feel positive possibility more likely case as they want to grab market share in future

Some side note
Just before few days seen interview of LIC CEO
stating lost around 60% business in March and most of there premium are paid by physical cash in last few days of March …
As I recollect HDFC life says it’s March business is around 30 to 35%

Thanks
Ashit

7 Likes

As expected March figures of all life insurance players have been badly hit.

4 Likes

HDFC Life valuation is significantly higher (PE-73) even though growth is not as good as ICICI Pru Life (PE-45).
One interesting fact - under HDFC Life - ‘Group yearly renewal premium’ growth is significantly lower than ICICI Pru Life. I think Group yearly renewal premium is the most steady and reliable income flow for insurance companies. Why HDFC Life is not doing good in this still have significantly higher valuation ? Any idea?

1 Like

@hnk_so
PE may not be the right metric for evaluating insurance companies,though even if one looks at the price to EV it comes to about 4 for HDFC life and ICICI prudential is at 2 times.

Along with this there is Product mix,VNB,Cost to premium,Solvency,RoEV,Persistency,Channel mix,Longevity,Reputation etc that have to be taken into account.

Group business is largely commoditized and tends to be low margin and chunky in nature.

ICICI prudential has a ULIP heavy share in overall business,though they have been trying to reduce it,as of the last quarter this was about two thirds of their business,this will get hit with the market fall.

Before comparing the growth,please keep in mind that ICICI has a lower base and hence is able to grow faster percentage wise,also cannot evaluate this business quarter wise,better to take a longer time frame of 3-5 years and then compare the numbers.

The insurance business is gradually moving from pure saving to protection.

And of course there is also the HDFC premium added to the valuation.

8 Likes

In addition of HDFC brand, I think there is one more reason for HDFC Life premium valuation. And that’s its superb business performance on all important matrices, be it EVOP (Embedded Value Operating profit/ EV growth), VNB growth, or New Business Margin.
Below is a snapshot of the approx. average of these numbers over last few quarters, comparing these variables across HDFC Life, ICICI Pru and SBI Life.

8 Likes

HDFC Life results…
Strong performance

https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/ca5730b1-257e-4fcb-8ebe-513085718e76.pdf

2 Likes

Are we paying exorbitant premium to buy HDFC Life !! Euphoria will sustain??

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing my blog post. Have posted the same on Life Insurance VP thread yesterday. I thought I had linked that post to this thread. Must have made a mistake. Linking now.

3 Likes

Unit Linked Insurance Plans - Expected to be Hit the Most Post the Market Crash due to Covid-19

SBI Life & ICICI Life has significant exposure to ULIPs. Almost 80% of their retail new business premium on the basis of annual premium equivalent (APE) came from ULIPs. HDFC Life has a more balanced product mix with ULIPs accounting for just 28% of retail APE.

ULIPs are generally a hit product when capital markets are in a bull run. With the Covid-19 uncertainty looming over capital markets & the sharp correction Indian bourses has been through, it is highly likely that people will discontinue their policies. This creates uncertainty amidst SBI Life & ICICI Life as their retail product mix is skewed towards ULIPs.
image image image

Further, looking at the composition of debt/equity mix in the assets under management (AUM) of these players, ICICI seems to be the highest exposed as it has significant proportion (i.e 52% as of FY19) of its AUM in equity. While, that ratio stands at just 23% and 38% from SBI Life and HDFC Life.

An exposed retail product mix skewed towards ULIPs can also dent persistency ratio at ICICI Life. As people discontinue their policies, persistency ratio can take a hit. It is observed that in bear markets, the persistency levels see a decline. ICICI enjoys the highest persistency ratio as at FY2019. And this can come under pressure in the coming quarters which could impact the Embedded Value.

Considering all this, HDFC Life seems to be better placed than the other players given a very well diversified product mix.

Pure Protection Products to Benefit of Covid-19

Pure term products will gain popularity post Covid-19 as people adopt to such products which protects their families incase of their untimely deaths. Reportedly, the VNB Margin on such term products lies between a very healthy 70-100%. Hence, it’s a good value proposition for a life insurer to grow this product vertical. HDFC Life has 27% of its overall new business premium (individual + group) coming from this vertical in FY19. For SBI and ICICI, this ratio stands at 11% and 15% respectively.

image image image

The persistency level of pure protection products is generally higher when compared to investment cum protection products. Hence, sustainable business can be derived from such products.

Further, IRDAI has made it more lucrative for distributors to sell these products as commission rates are higher when compared to pure risk products as seen in this table:

The Emerging Channels in Distribution- Online Channel

Digitization as a channel to sell products to millennial generation is the need of the hour for all life insurance players. And HDFC Life is capturing this trend pretty well. As of FY2019, HDFC Life secures 22% of the retail new business premium on the basis of APE through digital channels. Further, as reported in its latest investor presentation 85% of renewable payments are made digitally. This ratio stands at less than 3% for SBI Life and 13% for ICICI Life. There are huge commission costs life insurers pays to intermediaries such as banks, individual agents or brokers to generate sales. These costs will get eliminated if client is acquired through digital modes.

Further, HDFC Life has diversified well from over-reliance on the bancassurance channel. The contribution from bancassurance channel has reduced from 73% now to 55%. HDFC Bank solely contributes 80-82% of new business generated from the bancassurance channel. Hence, if there are any regulations in future suggesting banks to reduce exposure to one life insurer to the extent of not more than 50%, then the bank is better placed.

At the same time bancassurance offers an immense opportunity. HDFC Bank is well on its way to double its branches in the coming years. And hence, this offers a significant opportunity for HDFC Life as well.

Single Premium as a Percentage to Overall Premiums

Single-premium life (SPL) is a type of insurance in which a lump sum of money is paid into the policy in return for a death benefit that is guaranteed until you die. There is no renewable premium to be paid thereafter. It’s a single bullet payment. Hence, the hassle of following up to pay the renewable premiums and maintenance expenses to be incurred for following up on the renewable premiums are reduced.

HDFC Life has the highest proportion of single premiums when compared to overall premiums in the industry at 66% in FY2019. Whereas, this ratio stood at 33% and 34% respectively for ICICI Life and SBI Life Insurance.

Value of New Business Margins of Insurance Players
The Value of New Business Margins (VNB) are the highest for HDFC Life. This is on account of a product mix which is skewed towards high margin products. Reportedly, the new business margins on selling the following insurance products are as follows:

Particulars ULIPS PAR Non-Par Protection Group Savings
New Businesss Margin on APE Basis 2-10% 12-20% 20-30% 50-100% 0.5-2%
Source: HDFC Securities

ULIPs have the lowest margins. Whereas, the margins on Protection and Non-Par are higher. As HDFC Life is scaling its protection and non-par business vertical as seen in Chart 1, the margins are on an increasing trend.

Operating Expense Ratio

The operating expense ratio is the highest for HDFC Life which is a negative. Whereas, SBI Life enjoys the lowest operating expense ratio amidst the private players. One of the reasons for costs being higher at HDFC Life is the technological investments done to grow the online channel. Also, the digital marketing campaigns run to lure the prospective customers to purchase online involve cost.

SBI is the most efficient players when it comes to cost as it relies highly on bancassurance distribution model to sell its products. Selling products through bancassurance channel is relatively cheaper when compared to other distribution method. There is certainly a high operating leverage in selling products through bancassurance channel and one of the main reasons for cost being lower at SBI Life.

Geographical Diversification of Life Insurance Players

Acts of gods can lead to a spurt in mortality/morbidity rates. Gujarat earthquake 2001, Kerela floods 2018, Tsunami in 2004 can create a huge spike in claims in certain geographical areas. This can dent profitability of insurance companies. Hence, prefer insurance companies who are geographically well diversified. However, SBI is the only life insurer as on FY2016 which appears to be well diversified with 60% of its new business premium coming from 10 states and none of these states account for more than 10% of new business premium.

Whereas, in case of HDFC Life and ICICI Life 80% of new business premium comes from 10 states. And both insurers have exposure to Maharashtra exceeding 25% of the new business premium. Hence, there is a geographic concentration when it comes to HDFC Life and ICICI Life.

Sensitivity to Variables which Could Impact Embedded Value

This table indicates that Embedded Value of HDFC Life is most immune to the changes in interest rates. Further, an increase in tax rates can lead to a considerable dent in EV value of life insurance companies.

Sr No Sensitivity of Industry to Following Parameters Scenario % Change in EV for HDFC Life % Change in EV for SBI Life % Change in EV for ICICI Life
a Reference Rates Increase by 1% -1.2% -5.0% -2.5%
Decrease by 1% 0.6% 5.0% 2.6%
b Equity Market Movement Decrease by 10% -1.1% -1.0% -1.8%
c Discontinuance Rates Increase by 10% -0.7% -1.0% -1.1%
Decrease by 10% 0.8% 1.0% 1.1%
f Mortality/Morbidity Increase by 10% -1.8% -2.0% -1.6%
Decrease by 10% 1.8% 2.0% 1.7%
e Tax Rates Increased to 25% -7.7% -8.0% -5.8%

Conclusion:

Not considering valuations, all these indicators as stated above leads to some conclusion that HDFC Life is the best placed player in the life insurance space.

However, what are the valuations to be given to these companies?

Here is the one of the report of Edelweiss which values life insurance companies as follows:

image Source: Edelweiss

Keeping some extra margin of safety especially post Covid-19, for every 400 bps extra spread over CoE, we accord a 1x premium to that multiple. Here is the levels at which stocks can be bought.

Particulars HDFC Life Insurance ICICI Life Insurance SBI Life Insurance
Return on Embedded Value 18.1% 17.7% 16.5%
Cost of Equity 11.0% 11.0% 11.0%
Spreads 7.1% 6.7% 5.5%
Additional Multiple to be Givn on Spreads of 400 bps 1.8 1.7 1.4
Overall Multiple to be Give to the Business ( Price/Embedded Value) 2.8 2.7 2.4
Embedded Value 20650 23030 26290
Instrinsic Value of Business 57304 61605 62439
Premium Valuation Given the Fundamentals Of HDFC Life 20% 0.0% 0.00%
Instrinsic Value of Business 68765 61605 62439
Current Market Capitalization 97376 55948 71487
No of Shareholders 202 144 100
Instrinsic Value of Business 341 429 624
Correction Required -29% 10% -13%

This is my assessment. I am pretty naive to this industry and I have not invested in any of the life insurance companies. My opinions expressed here are quite biased towards HDFC Life as I am willing to invest around 5% of my portfolio in this stock.

Please Help Me Find Answers to this Question:

a. Will the high ULIP exposure of SBI Life & ICICI Life threaten their premiums coming from new business premium given the uncertainty around capital markets?

ULIPs are a complete pass through products like mutual funds and hence the impact on the balance sheet of SBI Life & ICICI Life will be negligible. But, strain will be seen in the P&L as people stop renewing and these companies will be unable to recover their acquisition costs

b. It seems like buying term products (i.e pure protection) is gaining popularity. Post Covid-19, can this trend intensify?

c. How has LIC been the numero uno player in group and retail insurance? It commands a market share of 42% in retail new business premium and 78% in group new business premium. With the bancassurance channel and the onslaught of digitization, is there scope of shift in market share from LIC to private players?

d. Globally, life insurer players are trading at a very reasonable price/book value of (1-3 times). Here HDFC Life is trading at 13x, ICICI Life at 7.5x and SBI life is at 8x. Is the technique of valuing it at price/embedded value appropriate?

e. Annuity business is a huge opportunity for life insurance. HDFC Life is making huge strides in this space. Does other life insurers like SBI Life and ICICI Life have the balance sheet strength to underwrite such products at scale?

f. Any thoughts on the valuation table which I have mentioned above.

17 Likes

HDFC Life FY20 Update

The disclosure standards of HDFC Life and all listed players continue to be very good.

The most interesting part of the results was the Milliman’s report on ALM strategy for non-par businesses.

HDFC Life has always talked about risk management at portfolio level and following para breaks it down in simple terms.

It also provides the strategies used by company to manage interest rate risk for future premiums. It talks about partly-paid bonds and FRAs, that company has mentioned in the past. Strips is the new thing that I have come to know.

Finally, the conclusion of the above exercise is given below -

I need more time to think through the above conclusions. On a cursory look, I do not understand the point of third scenario. Low interest rates is a pretty decent probability event but do not understand why persistency is assumed to be 100%.

The second most exciting part of the presentation was growth projection/ambition of growing retiral corpus by 3x in next 5 years. The current size of retiral corpus (NPS, Annuity, Group Funds, Sanchay) is ~360bn.

Another big area of concern/tracking for life insurance companies continues to be changes in tax regime. The company has provided customer behavior data where it shows that Tax savings now ranks as 9th reason to buy insurance vs. 4th in 2013. My view remains that - we need to observe this trend and also follow successive budgets to asses the impact/change in customer behavior.

The disappointing part was the 106cr provision for Yes Bank AT1 bonds. Why & when were these bought and why were they not sold ?

Further, sharp reduction of 1% in reference interest rates is another standout point.

Finally, unlike ICICI Life, the company said that entire re-insurance hike will not be passed on to consumer. Instead company will use product mix as a lever o increase margins.

Disc - I sold off HDFC Life post budget speech. No holdings in any life insurance companies since then. This is not buy/sell recommendation. I am not SEBI registered analyst.

6 Likes

I agree there is a huge risk in annuity with respect to fixed interest rates. Historically and in mature democracy’s history interest rates only move in one direction oer long term and its downwards towards 0. So with this experience of history on once’s side and as you mentioned several insurers faced insolvency - Why do new insurers have this business of annuity in first place? Do they not see this risk in long term? Is it very profitable which makes them take that risk or they have some other measures to mitigate that risk? And lastly in US and other close to 0% interest rates economy, is Annuity still in business?

Pls note I am thinking loud and asking these questions to myself as well. Would be great if someone with good understanding of life insurance business over long cycles of interest rates can throw some light. Thanks

P.N. - Please Note LIC would have significant huge Annuity/Pension exposure. Many public sector retirees have significant annuity exposure via LIC. Also, they have great push on Annuity. Private insurers focus more on protection. LIC agents focus more on market linked policies and Annuities. Looks like they get more commission on these than in pure protection. Now, why would they get more commission in selling annuity if it is more risky for LIC? Also, fall in interest rate would hurt LIC the most among all insurers.

Lastly, HDFC Pension is a fully owned subsidiary of HDFC Life however, SBI Pension is not a part pf the listed SBI Life entity. Any clues from this structure on long term risk comparison for both listed entities?

Excellent points! Above risk make the Quality of Management team all the more important for insurers. The reinvestment risk is huge and I think we need to watch out this aspect of insurers more than anything else to know the quality of management. Debt market is sometimes a joke to me with all the defaults that keep happening. Sometimes I feel equity is more certain and fixed returns investment than debt in India.

Interesting point on variable interest rates annuity in US. That would make annuity just like a fixed deposit. I used to think that for a buyer, the biggest benefit of annuity is a fixed interest rate for life. If it is not fixed, then why would anyone buy annuity in first place is what not clear to me.

Thanks!

1 Like

As far as I know sir, LIC Of India has much exposure in conventional business and their market linked policies doesn’t contribute much in overall portfolio.LIC 's jeevan Shsnti, Nidhi are non ULIP pension plans. Endowment plus plan was only ULIP plan available till January 20. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks, so max exposure is to pension plans which are fixed interest rates for life and is an annuity with maximum risk in long term.

1 Like
1 Like

HDFC Life - Morgan Stanley Investor Summit June 2020.pdf (1.3 MB)

Default to Digital nice presentation
How company respond to covid challenges

2 Likes