Gurjot Portfolio

This is indeed something to be pleased about, considering that many would have at least taken tracking position and fallen trap to averaging down, including myself.

What I did to little bit safeguard my interests is forcefully chose and stick to only one narrative (although I liked at least couple) and average down only one, if needed. This way, I would not chose a basket and not end up locking significant capital.

Also, I would chose the highest conviction pick (a highly concentrated portfolio - which otherwise I never do).

I cannot call that it will be a hit or miss…as u cannot get a hit in a 50Kcr & above mcap companies…but I look for compounders and a 50-1lk mcap company can be a decent compounder if a hit…

Disc: Invested only 2% of portfolio in new age company and constantly evaluating. No buy/sell recommendation

1 Like

Why think too much about 2% of PF and spend some much energies thinking :thinking: about new age companies and discuss. Any how in a week or so, on an average there is more than 10% drawdown in all PF’s. The 2% will be even less, if we compare with our actual Networth.

Wondering and Just trying to understand investor psychology, why we spend lot of time and energy on small positions of our PF’s.

1 Like

I understand your views…and also that even compared to drawdown, the 2% is not significant. (Today)

To answer you, my top holding would be around 14%…and it started as maybe 2% and remained that range for few years…it became 14% today by both its own growth and me adding it upwards constantly…

So discussing a 2% holding is not because I see it as what part of my portfolio it forms and financially matters, but rather what part it may become if i understand it and it performs better (I would know that only if I put some time and also discuss).

So it is that part of my portfolio which I am building (or rather intend to build) more actively today and not the tried, tested, well understood part already built…

The 2% insignificant holding is just a risk based allocation and may not justify how much attention the business should get as per what I think about the potential of the business…

Hope I am clear with my thought process…

5 Likes

Just adding on top of my portfolio update, I want to highlight how market volatility has kept on increasing over the past 5-6 months compared to the easy bull market before. I hope this picture helps illustrate the same.

This increased market volatility has largely been led by FII outflow in Feb’22 which was the 2nd highest ever in the history of Indian markets after Mar’20 covid crash! Amazingly, FII net sell figure has only been increasing in the past few months, Feb’22 only beat Jan’22 which only beat Nov’21 outflows. Interestingly, Feb was 2nd highest ever DII purchase.

There are a few key events in March (potential Fed rate hike, election results, outcome of Russia-Ukraine war, etc.) which markets will be keenly observing. Nifty P/E, dividend yield, P/B are all at reasonable forward multiples with expected earnings growth of 12%+ for next couple of years. Hence, I believe this month should be the climax of this heightened volatility with sunnier days ahead of us.

5 Likes

Thanks @gurjota for sharing your journey, I have learned a lot from this thread. One naive question - How do you calculate your portfolio returns on monthly basis along with new purchases being made, do you use any tool ?

2 Likes

I use Google sheets and unfortunately this needs to be done manually. It’s not too difficult to be honest - you just need to enter the cash flow amounts and dates and the XIRR formula will automatically generate your XIRR.
So you don’t really need to track individual stocks, you only need to track the cash flow going in and out of the portfolio.

Sharing a few sample entries from my personal portfolio tracker

I actually don’t track my monthly returns, I track YTD returns for the current calendar year and for that you just need to know your portfolio value on 31 Dec of previous year. Rest of the process remains same - just convert the XIRR into an absolute % using this formula (YTD Performance in the formula refers to the YTD XIRR)

Hope this helps. I wish there was a tool or automated way of doing this, at least I’m not aware of any.

9 Likes

Marketsmojo has a portfolio feature which tells the IRR over different periods.

1 Like

Will this automatically pull the portfolio amount and cash flow details from my Zerodha account?

If not, then this will also be a manual process where you’ll need to input the date / cash flow regularly.

I am also using this as a way to calculate and it’s quite good in my opinion

Do you also add dividend in this as these are also returns in my opinion and I just personally write the ammount just after I get the dividend payment in my account.

I am pretty new to this and is doing for around 10 months.

1 Like

It’s manual as far as I know.

I don’t add dividends because of two reasons -

• I have a large portfolio of 40+ companies with majority paying a dividend and many with quarterly payout. It becomes a rigorous time consuming exercise
• I compare my PF returns with the market indices such as Nifty, Mid cap, Small cap which also don’t include the dividend yield of the index. If you add dividends, then you must compare your PF with the Total Return Index (TRI) version of the benchmark.

But yes you can add dividends as well, can definitely boost the CAGR by 0.5 - 2%.

4 Likes

Hi Gurjot, now with dividends being taxed at the assesses’ tax slab rate.
Do you consider that as a disadvantage for high dividend yield stocks.
Against one time 10%-15% tax on longterm/shortterm holding in case of capital appreciation, in dividend yielding stocks every year you payup 30% as tax on dividend income.
Plus generally high dividend yield implies less visibility of growth, hence capital appreciation may not be much again just a general observation.
Maybe ITC and Hero prove me wrong from there…:slight_smile:

Waiting on the portfolio update for March.
Hooked on this thread please keep posting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Monthly Portfolio Note - March and April 2022

I have been keeping really busy on the work front which prevented me sharing the portfolio update for the month of March. In hindsight, there’s not been much to update as markets have also not done much since then or YTD along with my portfolio.

I must admit I have re-shuffled a lot of positions (constantly adding, trimming, averaging, etc. in and out of similar set of stocks) but the end result is this is a really tough market to generate good returns. I like to stick with secular growth stories, B2C consumption, brands but believe the last 6 months have mainly belonged to a lot of cyclicals and commodities. I’m not sure how long this phase of the market will last, however I’m definitely not one to get into cyclicals and commodities except if I’m following a momentum style of investing which I’m actually testing the waters with currently (more on that in a bit).

So overall, my portfolio has held up pretty well in these 4 months after 2021’s 50%+ returns - I’m quite happy if not ecstatic with the YTD performance because I’ve ~30% of my portfolio in Financial Services (Insurance, Banks, NBFCs) which has been a relative disaster in the bull run of past 2 years. Despite these headwinds, the YTD portfolio performance has remained extremely resilient beating key benchmarks mainly thanks to Beta Drugs, Mirza and some recovery in Neuland, Vaibhav Global and few others. Also my portfolio doesn’t include dividends and some of the companies have announced excellent dividends yielding more than 3-4% just on dividends (HCL Tech, Glenmark Life, etc.)

Portfolio Updates

Entry - HDFC (better to be termed as re-entry after selling at 2600 and re-entering sub 2300), the merger announcement is a win-win situation and the current valuations are extremely comfortable in the context of 16-18%+ merged entity growth compounding machine. Below is a great read on the expected impact and performance of merged entity
https://marcellus.in/newsletter/kings-of-capital/our-view-on-the-hdfc-mega-merger/#

Swaraj Engines - The current year makes me appreciate dividend aristocrats such as Swaraj Engines. I picked this up at a mouth watering 6%+ div yield at Rs1320 with profit compounding of 8-10% over the past decade and company has been consistently doing capex every few years to maintain a steady growth rate. I do not see any major threat of EVs in the tractor space for the next decade. Open to changing stance if the situation changes.

ETFs - 1. Mirae FANG+ ETF - For the first time, I’ve started investing passively in a couple of ETFs. Mirae FANG+ ETF is a fantastic way to play the best of the best quality rapidly growing 18-20%+ US technology businesses without having to invest much effort in comparing or picking the right company (Tesla vs Apple vs Microsoft vs Amazon vs Google, etc.) You automatically get 10% of each without any transaction/commission charges and the index as a whole is already 30% down from the peak. If any of these businesses were to go belly up as well, remember this is a index and they’ll automatically replace poor performers with different (most likely better) businesses. Twitter was also a part of this index some time back till Microsoft replaced it and in the future there is no guarantee that any of the FANG stocks will remain in the index. However, being an index ETF you will get to participate hassle-free in 10 of the best US tech businesses

1. Motilal Oswal Nifty200 Momentum30 ETF - I’ve been reading about momentum style of investing and also back tested it with BSE500 companies for the past 5 years. Honestly, it’s grown a lot on me and it’s probably the most peaceful stress free way of investing if ever there was one.

The Nifty200 Momentum30 index has delivered superlative performance over the past 17 years (shared below) and this is a great way to participate in fast growing large cap segment of our market. Motilal ETF helps play this index.

Watchlist - ICICI Securities, UTI AMC and few others. Most of the watchlist companies I’d classify as dividend aristocrats where even a 8-10% profit compounding should result in 14-15% kind of stable returns.

Exits - Mainly due to high valuation or relatively more attractive opportunities mentioned above
TITAN (2.6x), FINEORG (75%), ALKEM (24%), BHARATRAS (51%), DELTACORP (41%), (Sub-5% returns LALPATHLAB , SYNGENE, BRITANNIA, OPTIEMUS)

Portfolio Insights - Holdings, Sector, Allocation and Market-Cap

Top 20

Name Current %
RPPL 6.69%
BETA 5.73%
MACPOWER 4.80%
HCLTECH 4.62%
ICICIPRULI 3.99%
HDFCLIFE 3.84%
KOTAKBANK 3.78%
HDFCBANK 3.72%
TIPSINDLTD 3.69%
ICICIGI 3.63%
GOLDIAM 3.44%
MASFIN 3.42%
ICICIBANK 3.04%
VAIBHAVGBL 2.99%
HDFC 2.88%
VALIANTORG 2.60%
MIRZAINT 2.53%
NEULANDLAB 2.47%
DIVISLAB 2.37%
IEX 2.34%

PS: Do not consider any of the above as financial advice or recommendations. Not all trades are mentioned above (like increasing allocation to HCL Tech, Glenmark Life, etc.) and it is not possible to disclose all the trades made in the past 1 or 2 months or even in the future. The top holdings are just a true reflection of the current portfolio as of date which can be very different tomorrow.

13 Likes

Hello Gurjot,
Just wanted to know your thoughts on etf vs fof for mirae faang+ in context of following article (mainly the price NAV difference due to lack of liquiity)

Also, what price do fof unit holders get of the etf. Is it the EOD price. Would be grateful if you could point to some document that explains the relation between etf and fof in terms of the price that fof unit holders get the etf units at.

Thanks

1 Like

I invest in the ETF because of the ease of buy/sell during market hours and there are arbitrage opportunities if the ETF price starts quoting at a discount to the underlying FANG+ TRI value because of low liquidity. I don’t fully understand the link you’ve shared.

You can refer to the Scheme Information Document.

2 Likes

As an example, the FANG+ index closed at -6.43% yesterday but the ETF is only trading at ~ -2% range. How do you view this. In my opinion shouldnt the etf track the index.

1 Like

It is called tracking error and an index fund or an ETF tracking their respective indices don’t track 100%, for many reasons, so there is always a tracking error.

As far the difference between the index falling 6% which does not reflect in the price of the ETF is concerned, it means that sellers are not willing to sell for low price, despite the fall in the index. The ETF is in demand. Liquidity could be another reason, less number of units available to purchase.

ETFs trade at a premium or discount, depending on their demand. The NAV does not reflect the real time price. So this ETF is trading at a premium to its NAV.

The other side is also true. Some ETFs trade at a discount, they trade at a discount to their NAV, meaning there are more sellers than buyers, less demand.

2 Likes

First of all, ETFs actually defeat the purpose of Index Investing. Investing into index is predominantly for the reason of complete disregard for market levels and market timings as well as individual stock selections. Why we need ETFs in Index, when our purpose is, to invest in Index for long time? Why we need to invest in real time? why cant we take the End of the day NAV and be satisfied with it?
If we cant even wait for the day to end , to get the NAV, and want real time NAV in ETF, then are we really Index Investors?
The sole purpose of Index is to reduce the churn and trading, and ETFs have turned Index investing into high frequency trading activity. The soul of John Bogle must be crying , by looking at ETFs and how the very purpose of indexing is distorted…Your views please

4 Likes

Index investing is about the idea that it is hard to beat the market over the long-term, because of the disappearance of information asymmetry, along with efficient market hypothesis etc. It is slowly getting evident in India too, for various reasons.

So even in index investing, if ETFs deliver a bit more return than index funds, and if one is knowledgeable about the benefits, disadvantages and pitfalls, and can allot time in the market hours etc, why shouldn’t he do that? If I have a chance of maximizing my return, in any legal way I can, I would do that. Some keep it simple, some dabble, some try to make a thing work, and some innovate. To each his own, as this is personal finance. We can tweak a product, tinker with it, as long as we know what we are doing and if it suits our purpose, to begin with.

And as far as the satisfaction of EOD NAV is concerned, it is subjective. I may be happy with a Maruti, others may want no less than a Mercedes. We are in VP, we have members who introduce a company, one which is unheard of until then, and sometimes such small companies turn out to be big names after years. The fire burns until it exhausts.

And why would Bogle cry, this is not like the abuse of AK-47? I guess inventors feel proud if people have found distinct and multiple uses for their inventions, the uses the inventors themselves did not think of.

Please don’t think of this as gyaan, these are just my thoughts, my 2 cents. I am an investor in both stocks and indices.

Hope Gurjot does not mind.

4 Likes