Greenpanel Industries Ltd. (Demerged Entity of Greenply)

Q1 FY24 Results:

• Sales & PAT continued to go downwards. MDF sales down by 13% (340.17 Cr - 88% sales)
  • Blended capacity utilization at 74% on a capacity of 6,60,000 cubic meters.
  • Volume degrowth - 6000 cubic meters due to planned maintenance shutdown of MDF plant in April (happened once in 14 years so not a repetitive problem).

Guidance for MDF:

• Management reiterated - Worst is over.
  • 23% to 25% EBITDA margin, Volume growth 12% to 15% expected by year-end (Q2 could be flat/poor but then Q3/Q4 should be bright)

Disc: Invested

1 Like

In the AR 2022-23, the statutory auditor remarked that the quarterly returns filed by the company with banks were not in agreement with the books of accounts.

Discrepancies are huge as shown below:-

Is it something serious?

4 Likes

This item does appear in sometimes but here the amounts are on the higher side. Note 49 on page 243 gives the reasoning but it still does not explain fully the root cause. I think it is better to write to company and ask why the quarterly returns submitted to the bank are not in accordance with Ind AS 115 and what the company plans to do about it. You can also register as a speaker at the AGM and ask the question. Note that this item was there last year also but not there in FY21. So what changed in FY22? It might be due to some process change or software related reason. You can ask what the company plans to do to align the two in future.

3 Likes

This is actually a big anti thesis/risk for this I was under the impression, read recent concall of greenply they have installed a plant for MDF and are also selling 2-5% cheaper. Thought after demerger greenpanel would be exclusively focused in MDF but seems like family is competing with each other in same line of business so margins will not increase.

1 Like

I just listened to the Q3 2024 call. Management is strongly expecting that BIS implementation will deter imports atleast in a short term. But then, Capacity seems to be ever increasing which would result in price pressure. Green ply getting into MDF is not good (although it was not discussed).

My original thesis buying this Share was that housing growth will help. Elevated wood prices will help. And I liked the fact that they are very concentrated in MDF and have a Capacity built in for 2-3 years growth. I still believe in this thesis BUT wondering whether they can ever establish a good enough Brand Equity to sustain price and grow above industry average.

Appreciate any thoughts.

1 Like

I exited this stock after finding that the no competence contract is no longer valid and also that greenply is doing capex and is also selling at 2-3% discount to gain market share, I feel there is no MOAT and I am bullish on the housing and MDF sector but then I think it could be a commodity with no real pricing power.

5 Likes

Just found this, thought of sharing it over here. Need to wait another fortnight for this BIS norm to get enforced. The management was talking big in the last 2 concalls regarding this. Let’s see!!

Ref:https://www.bis.gov.in/upcoming-qcos-notified-and-due-for-implementation/
Disc: Invested

4 Likes

This got implemented correct ?

1 Like

Lot of news saying its been delayed to Feb 2025

2 Likes

BIS delayed by a year.

3 Likes

Well, results are bad and their half hearted guidance of 15% volume growth in FY25 is not very convincing either. IF real estate is doing well, wouldn’t these companies do well? Is it a matter of losing market share because of over capacity or just weak demand? Any thoughts?

1 Like

I agree with that results for FY24 were really poor. All guidances given by the management at the start of FY24 blown away. Feels like the products are commodity kind of, and there is over capacity through imports, as such margins n volumes are very much lower than the estimates given.