CDSL - Stock for our children

Not referring to CDSL specifically, but switching DP accounts and moving shares is quite easy. The moment they start charging and selling shares from dormant accounts, people will move to other accounts or close it. Again, sticking only to point of switching, not on CDSL or NSDL recco,

2 Likes

You are quite right…But I meant brokers for switching from CDSL to something else. The years it will take for something to come up the price will run to that many crores for initial switch. Provided everyone will give the same service at almost the same price why should someone again invest a huge sum just to change depository. All of these are speculations and I may be horribly wrong. But discount brokers have price advantage. They are with CDSL. Investing again for just switching without getting that much advantage, what can be the point.

3 Likes

Results Q1FY22

6 Likes

These are standalone numbers. Consolidated numbers are good but not as great as standalone…See below from results press release

3 Likes

Next phase of growth can come from CDSL IFSC Limited.

NSE and BSE will allow retail investors to buy International stocks in Gift City by way of depository receipts. Tax exemptions will reduce the costs. Receipts will be held in demat account with depository in IFSC Gift City.

The International Diversification theme is already popular among new investors. Some managers are also promoting it.

CDSL has already got the infrastructure ready with its subsidiary CDSL IFSC Limited and has got recognition also.

There is a risk of trading volumes not picking up in early years. But mere opening of demat accounts will immensely benefit CDSL.
Disclosure: Invested

15 Likes

After the above foreign depository news, now CDSL also gets Bullion depository.

MUMBAI, August 18, 2021: Central Depository Services (India) Limited (“CDSL”), Asia’s
first and only listed depository, is pleased to announce that it’s wholly owned subsidiary CDSL
IFSC Limited (CDSL IFSC) has been recognized as the Bullion Depository in IFSC by the
International Financial Services Centres Authority (“IFSCA”).
The Bullion Depository will now facilitate holding and transfer of Bullion viz. Gold initially
which will be extended to Silver and any other commodities that is eligible to be held / traded
by IFSCA at IFSC, GIFT City.
The Depository will further embark towards achieving the objective of making IFSC the ‘go-
to’ location for all eligible investors and be the preferred choice amongst the financial and
bullion markets

https:/
CDSL_18082021160553_DisclosureforIFSC.pdf (331.8 KB)

9 Likes

CDSL ANNUAL REPORT

Optionality

7 Likes

Source: Money control

Source: June 2021 results

How to get each segment wise revenue for each quarter as like show in first figure.? In Quarterly statement, not able to identify “Annual issuer charges, Transaction charges,IPO & Corporate action charges,Online data charges, etc”.

6 Likes

Revenue breakup is given during concall. Check the transcript.

1 Like

Per the latest disclosure on CDSL’s website home page the number of active investor accounts as at 30th September 2021 is 4.64 Crore. Note that only on 8th of July 2021 is when they reported 4 Crore active user milestone(see the press release on the same here). The growth is exceeding 20 lakh user per month on an average and in 3 months the total active user base increased by a cool 15% - many of our unicorn startups would love to grow at this sort of pace. Note that during FY 21 CDSL added about 1.2 Crore new accounts and in the first 6 months of FY 22 they have already exceeded that number with 1.3 Crore new accounts. Unprecedented and lets see where and when the numbers would start plateauing out!

Interesting to note that the active accounts added by NSDL is only about 12 lakh during the same period and the total number of active accounts stand at 2.37 Crore for NSDL(see the link to NSDL statistics).

AJ
Disclosure: Remain invested.

16 Likes

Frankly, this should be music to the stakeholders of the company. Management calibre, depth, quality and determination to take the business for the next leap are tested under such condition.

When a company faces such situation, and gives us an opportunity for us to study the managements and will we be able to mark them against a yardstick.

One another scenario I would love to see is a bear market for couple of years. When general public sees losses in their portfolio, both SIP through MF and individual security portfolio would turn inactive - unused suddenly. This would start reflecting poorly on top line and bottom line. Then the real meat in the game test for the management would be exposed.

Don’t get me wrong - I am not making any comment against existing management. However, I am trying to call out a general thumb rule on when management would be tested. I think one of that scenario has started playing out (too much growth in too little time) for this company.

For now, let’s wait - watch and benchmark.

Disc: Invested at much lower level, Not an advise for buy/sell.

8 Likes

I thought CAMS only charges for keeping MF records…CDSL keeping MF along with equity means it is direct competition to CAMS (though at smaller scale) ?

1 Like
2 Likes

Good results from CDSL.
YoY Quarterly Sales Growth 63%
YoY Quarterly Profit Growth 76%

5 Likes

CDSL added record 31 Lakhs new accounts in October 2021.
(Source: CDSL Website)

Beats its own record addition of 24 lakhs in a month.
Total Active accounts increased to 4.96 crores as of Oct 31st 2021.
It was 4.64 crores in 30 September 2021. Live Companies also increased by 147.

More IPOs (Paytm, Star Health, etc) is good news for CDSL .
Mega IPO’s (LIC, NSE) also expected soon.

6 Likes

Data breach at CDSL’s KYC arm exposed 4.39 crore investors’ data twice within 10 days: CyberX9

3 Likes
1 Like

CDSL added 30.3 Lakhs new accounts in November 2021.
(Source: CDSL Website)

Total Active accounts increased to 5.26 crores as on 30th Nov 2021.
It was 4.96 crores in October 2021.
Live Companies also increased by 135.

4 Likes

This would turn out to be bonanza for CDSL and NSDL. Possible that total demat accounts in India can easily double in next 4 months mainly due to LIC IPO.

14 Likes