Bharti Airtel - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

Able to do it on my ICICI direct few min back .

Hi,

I was able to do in ICICI Direct.

Thanks,
Deb

Those who are not able to do it via bank can do so via below rta link:

https://rights.kfintech.com/airtel/Default.aspx

Is there any government regulations important to consider and know in the area of Satellite communication/Internet?

I think currently licence/spectrum selling/auction kind of thing does not happen for Satellite BUT is that or similar kind of thing a possibility in due course of time which can put some financial pressure on the telecoms in terms of upfront costs for licence/spectrum/orbits etc. and recurring costs in terms of revenue sharing with government?

Also, what is the precedent globally in terms of Satellite communication/Internet?
If it is a lucrative business, how and why did OneWeb filed for bankruptcy?

Views of industry experts/others following telecom/satellite closely most welcome!

I think that report is incorrect. Airtel has not invested in OneWeb, Sunil Bharti Mittal has invested in his personal capacity. So there would be no direct financial impact on Airtel. However, it does raise questions of conflict of interest as SBM would have two competing companies in the same industry.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks,
Deb

Bharti Airtel prepays 15,519 cr to clear all deferred liabilities for spectrum bought in 2014.

2 Likes

Link for same.

4 Likes

Google invests $700 Million in Bharti Airtel at Rs. 734 per share.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-28/google-invests-700-million-in-bharti-airtel-to-boost-india-push?srnd=premium-asia

6 Likes

Airtel acquires ~25% strategic stake in SD-WAN startup Lavelle Networks
It Boosts Airtel Business Network-as-a-Service (NaaS) portfolio as enterprises look to deploy
Software-Defined networks to support their digital transformation journeys.

→ SD-WAN Explained

A Software-defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) is a virtual WAN architecture that allows enterprises to leverage any combination of transport services—including MPLS, LTE and broadband internet services—to securely connect users to applications.

→ In Software-defined Wide Area Network solutions and
it serves a range of industry segments. Its platform has connected several thousands of Indian
enterprises from the nation’s largest financial institutions to e-commerce networks.

->SD-WAN is exponentially growing at a CAGR of
55% in 2022-2026.

→ 62% of enterprises plan to deploy SD-WAN
across their organization in the next 1-2 years

2 Likes

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 5.44.24 PM

2 Likes

Well, this sounds like a lifeline for Airtel & specially for Voda :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Disc : invested in Airtel.

1 Like

@Investor_No_1 Not sure if I ever responded. You are right in your analysis about Tata communications = Airtel enterprise business.

But I see two advantages Airtel has:

1. Airtel enterprise business is larger than that of Tata communication and it also happens to be more profitable and growing faster.
    Check bharti airtel: Airtel’s enterprise revenue, valuation likely to grow: Analysts, Telecom News, ET Telecom
  2. Lot of new IoT devices in the field may not have wired connectivity. Here Airtel presence in wireless helps as they they can provide end-2-end solution.
  3. If 5G spectrum is given to only wireless operators, Airtel will have huge advantage as it will be able to provide wireless solutions to enterprises from its share of spectrum. If 5G spectrum is also given to enterprises then it is level playing field. For this reason wireless operators like Airtel and Jio and other industry/service providers like L&T, Tata communications have taken opposite views. Telcos oppose reserving 5G spectrum for captive use; L&T, Tata Communications for it - The Economic Times
    Let us see how this finally settles.
4 Likes

This seems to be an interesting move by Airtel.

Disc : Invested.

6 Likes

EXCHANGE FILINGS ON 01/04/2022.

Dear Sir/ Ma’am,
Reference is made to an Equity Rights Issue of approximately 392 million partly-paid up Shares at an issue price of INR 535/- (the “Equity Rights Issue”) conducted by Bharti Airtel Limited, which opened on October 5, 2021 and closed on October 21, 2021. Such Equity Rights Issue constitutes a grant, issue and offer to the shareholders of Bharti Airtel Limited entitling them to subscribe for or purchase Shares, and as the consideration receivable by the Issuer was at a price per Share less than 95 per cent. of the relevant Current Market Price, an adjustment to the Conversion Price is required pursuant to the Terms & Condition 6.3.5 of the Foreign Currency Convertible Bonds (Bonds) .
Accordingly, the Conversion Price has been adjusted to INR 525/- per share in accordance with the said Terms and Conditions of the Bonds

My question: what is the meaning of the sentence which I highlighted with bold word? Who will benefit from this?

1 Like

Results out, dividend of INR 3 per share and 0.75 per share for PP

Highlights from press release:-

 Bharti Airtel posts quarterly revenues of Rs 31,500 crore – up 22.3% YoY, backed by strong and consistent performance delivery across the portfolio
o Mobile services India revenues up 25.1% YoY, led by increase in ARPU largely on account of flow through of tariff increase done in previous quarter
o Airtel Business revenues up by 12.9% YoY backed by robust demand for data portfolio and emerging businesses

Consolidated EBITDA at Rs 15,998 crore; EBITDA margin at 50.8% - improvement of 192 bps YoY

Consolidated EBIT at Rs 7,315 crore; EBIT margin at 23.2% - improvement of 362 bps YoY o India EBIT at Rs 4,219 crore; EBIT margin at 18.8% - expansion of 368 bps YoY

4G customers up by 21.5 Mn YoY & 5.2 Mn QoQ, crossed +200 Mn milestone, 62% of overall customer base

Mobile ARPU increased to Rs 178 in Q4’22 vs Rs 145 in Q4’21

Paid Rs 8,815 crore towards part prepayment of deferred liabilities pertaining to 2015 spectrum

Discl : Invested, biased

1 Like

Bharti Airtel outperformed its peers, even though its Data Plans are more expensive than that of Jio. Their revenue growth has been amazing and their target of reaching the 200ARPU mark is very achievable this fiscal year. Another round of price hikes might be seen soon, since their ARPU this quarter is only 178. The important number to watch out is the number of active subscribers. Revenue growth, profit growth and highest ARPU in the industry will mean nothing if they start loosing subscribers because of their slightly expensive data plans.
We can also expect the Annual Profit to grow next Fiscal. This quarter their NP came at 2008cr. Being conservative, even if we expect the NP each quarter to come at 1500cr next year, the Annual NP comes at 6000cr which is approx 30% higher than this Fiscal. This will help in bringing the valuations at reasonable levels, which were at a crazy high of 145 some time ago. I know PE is not a trustworthy valuation metric, but so many Investors follow this metric, that one cannot completely ignore it. If majority of people believe in something wrong, it becomes right.
Another positive is the their OCF are very strong, which will take care of the existing debt and the next round of Auctions. They still have a huge debt, but any fall in this metric will be very positive for the company and its future profitability.
Conclusions: Airtel announced amazing results, but this might be just a start of a multi quarter Earnings growth. Number of subscribers and Debt should be closely watched in next earnings.

4 Likes

Airtel’s latest concall is a good listen, with even some of the questions being more ‘long term’ and focusing on exciting future areas for the business.

Just quoting some interesting excerpts here from Mr. Vittal’s comments:-

On Airtel B2B

Let me turn to Airtel Business. This is a jewel in our portfolio and has been consistently delivering growth. We had another quarter of double digit growth. Net of voice which is declining this business is growing all other segments either in high teens of even faster. Our portfolio comprises of connectivity, CPaas, IoT, Cyber Security, Cloud and Data Centres. We continue to outperform our peers in each of the segments and expand market share.

On ARPUs

Now a few comments on the Mobile segment. During the quarter, we witnessed a healthy flow through of prepaid tariff hikes implemented at the end of November 2021. Despite a quarter with 2 fewer days, the revenue grew sequentially by 9.5%.
Our ARPU as a consequence is now Rupees 178. This is a strong move towards our first goal post of 200 and our eventual target of 300 ARPU.

**On the year gone by and the strength of the business model (picking up selective areas from the entire commentary here which stood out to me)

The first reason for my confidence is our Execution. Despite tremendous competitive intensity and turbulence caused by repeat waves of Covid, our execution has been strong. During the year, we added 13,440 Crores to the top line and 8,146 Crores of EBITDA to our India business. Beyond these numbers, what was even more satisfying was that we grew competitively. Every part of our business – Mobile, Broadband, DTH and Airtel Business grew market share to reach life time highs. We led the tariff rises where we sensed the time was right…

On the MOAT that is building with the strong digital infrastructure and customer base

Our digital infrastructure layer is where we have invested over 46 Billion Dollars to drive much of India’s economic and digital activity. I want to call out two major developments here. We are fully ready for 5G. Our core network, our radio network and even our transport network is fully future proofed. In our transport network, the power of our home broadband business is now enabling us to connect more and more towers directly on Fiber which will make our network ready to deal with massive increases in capacity. Our Sub-Ghz foot print across the country now gives us deep indoor coverage. Our expansion of our mobile coverage foot print now allows us to provide broadband connectivity across 795,000 villages and towns of India. Even more quietly we have spent the last 5 years bringing our data together into one massive platform that stores over 100 Peta Bytes of data – this is equal to storing every single movie made in the world on HD. This platform allows us to process 2 trillion events daily which is equivalent to all the searches done globally on the largest search platform of the world…

On their fiscal prudence

Our fiscal prudence has made us opt for a moratorium on government payments. Yet we prepaid high cost spectrum debt of over Rs. 24,000 crores. We have raised almost 18 Billion Dollars of funding to strengthen our balance sheet over the last few years. As a result, our leverage has improved substantially from 2.95 to 2.51 this year. Our operating free cash flow is more than adequate to cover all our capex needs and with improved tariffs the operating leverage of our business model will release even more cash.

On the exciting future of Airtel Digital

A second milestone is the launch of Airtel Digital. We have several growth businesses that operate in large categories here. Airtel Ads is our Ad Tech platform that rides on our digital assets. Airtel IQ is our SaaS platform that rides on our underlying digital infrastructure. The Airtel Market place that comprises of content, loans, insurance and credit cards again rides on our Digital assets and our payments capabilities. Then there is our Data Centre business. Across these businesses of Data Centers, Airtel Digital and Payments bank we are well over 3000 crores of annualized revenue and growing.

On his reappointment and some crystal ball gazing for the next 5 years

So if you look at the next five years while we do not like to sort of give any forecasts and targets, I would simply say that the contribution of the non-mobility side to the overall portfolio has to get larger and larger. I think our B2B business must become a force to reckon with. Our broadband business is to become very large, and then of course, using tools like convergence, we should get very very low churn at that top end of the 50 million pool that there is in the industry.

Disclosure : Invested, biased. I am not a SEBI registered advisor, please do your own research before investing.

7 Likes