Avenue Supermart: a compounding machine?

1 Like
3 Likes

There is 1020 Crores of Capital Work in Progress currently.
It’s almost 3x of CWIP in 2020.
Wondering if this is due to Covid causing delayed construction of new stores.?

This article was posted in the thread today but got deleted. I am posting it again for further reference as the article is associated with the future prospects of Dmart. And I am posting my comments in a separate post. So if this post should be deleted too, do not delete my comments post.

3 Likes

From the above Moneycontrol article

Avenue Supermarts Ltd (ASL), which owns and operate DMart, bought a plot spread across 41,760 sq ft in Nizampet, Hyderabad worth Rs 34.3 crore in February 2021

Again from the article

Last year in July, the company acquired a property (where a building was proposed) in Narsingi, Hyderabad spread across 43,915 sq ft for Rs 38.4 crore.

My points

There is one Dmart in Nizampet but it seems it is closed and Google user reviews confirm the same, may be it is a fulfilment centre now and the nearest Dmart is 4 Km away. There is no Dmart in Narisingi and the nearest Dmart is 7 Km away.

So I think these plot purchases are part of the business strategy of Dmart, considering the low rates. 22 stores were added in FY 21 and the company has mentioned that construction activity started in the second half of the year. So they could use these plots for stores or for fulfilment centres. A city as big as Hyderabad will always need more Dmart stores.

Disclosure - Invested and planning to add some.

5 Likes

I will not be able to answer your above question. But, when I have visited DMart few days back, people have come early in the morning and standing in long lines to a distance and waiting for their turn. This is during the time when there is lock down and timings were squeezed. I hope this will give you confidence about DMart.

4 Likes
  1. Standalone Revenue from operations for the quarter ended (QE) June 30, 2021 stood at
    INR 5,031.75 crores.

2. Standalone Revenue from operations for QE June 30, 2021 and the corresponding quarter
    for the past three years is as follows:
    {INR crores)
    Quarter ended Quarter ended Quarter ended Quarter ended

3. The total number of stores as of June 30, 2021 stood at 238.

2 Likes

Commenting on the performance of the company Mr. Neville Noronha, CEO & Managing
Director, Avenue Supermarts Limited, said:
“Q1 FY 2021-22 saw a much stronger second wave of Covid-19 restrictions. We lost significantly
more days or had higher restriction on number of hours of store operations compared to the
same period last year.
DMart (Brick and Mortar) Business Overview
Revenues have grown by 31% over the corresponding quarter of last year. This is because the
lockdown periods were at different times in different regions during the quarter. Some cities
announced early lockdowns and continue to have stringent measures in place even now while
some cities eased the restrictions within 3-4 weeks after their early lockdown. There were also
cities which announced lockdowns much later and are now in the process of relaxing
them. Despite lesser hours of operations this time, we had more customer footfalls than in the
same period last year and this has translated into higher sales. One of the key reasons for this is
that even though restrictions on operations were more severe, personal mobility was relatively
less stringent than last time. Additionally, we also had 22 new stores that were opened post Q1
FY 2020-21.
Lockdown measures are now gradually reducing across multiple cities. Across these multiple
periods of lockdowns we have come to realize that a store needs at least 45 days of unhindered
operational time to get back to pre-Covid sales momentum.
We have not seen any significant impact on our supply chain during the quarter. Our inventory
is also gradually moving towards normal levels. Construction activity has also commenced at all
our sites.
DMart Ready
The DMart Ready business continued its gradual expansion across the MMR region,
Ahmedabad, Pune, Bangalore and Hyderabad. Thus far the results on topline are very
encouraging. The second wave has given further impetus to the business.
Conclusion
We continue to follow all safety protocols across our premises. At least 94% of all our eligible
employees have taken their first dose of vaccination and more than 98% of our eligible
storefront employees in at least 90% stores have taken their first dose of vaccination. Vaccine
availability has significantly improved across the country except for some pockets. We will
continue to monitor this closely and will continue to encourage all eligible employees to get
fully vaccinated.
Making workplaces safe for our employees and shoppers is our number one priority. We are
extremely grateful to our front line teams and their leaders. They demonstrate courage,
humility and a deep sense of service. They define what DMart represents in the regions and
communities where we operate.”

5 Likes

Unaudited standalone financial results for the quarter ended 30th June, 2021

Hi

Yesterday NPCI released its data for June 2021. In my opinion this is somewhat of an indicator when we focus on RuPay Cards used at POS terminals (non ecommerce txns). This is the only data point which gets released with a tracking error of 10 odd days. RBI releases data with a delay of 2 months.

Anyways. I think there has not been much consumer spending outside at stores in June. Though there is a small jump from May because of the 2nd wave then there is almost a 30% gap between June’s value spends vs the peak in March 2021.

Let us see how the pandemic evolves and how people shop.

Data source NPCI

Rgds
Deepak

Disc: Invested. SIPed in last 30 days. Not a SEBI RIA/RA/PM.

2 Likes

Hi

Looks like that is incorrect.

Navil has only sold last in May 2020. He continues to hold 99% of his pre selling portion.
I believe Kajal is his wife. She has sold now early June and continues to hold 80% of her original holding.

Also what I had read or heard is that they had bought a real estate property with this. Someone can verify this.

*holding post sale (incorrect column heading in the pic)

Rgds
Deepak

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Deevee. Cap IQ mentions that there is a large sell-off so I thought would check. Both Trendlyne and BSE does not have any mention of this insider sell.

1 Like

New scrips added to FNO from sep series…
No Dmart yet…any reason why this is not getting added?

2 Likes

2019 AGM. I could think of these words from Noronha’s speech. Prudent, conservative, realistic, transparent, deterministic, efficient, flexible, long-term oriented, structured.

Invested.

2 Likes

Hi All

Now RBI is giving every day wise data which happens to be more frequent. So this gives a good yardstick to measure consumption/buying behavior. Comparing Q1 to Q2 in the below chart. All data from RBI/DBIE.

Hoping to see some good top lines in consumption companies.

Regards
Deepak

Disc: Invested. SIPed in last 30 days. Not a SEBI RIA/RA/PM.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Video on Dmart. Has some interesting data hence sharing.
Disc: Invested.

3 Likes
Quarter ended September 30, 2021 Quarter ended September 30, 2020 Quarter ended September 30, 2019 Quarter ended September 30, 2018
Quarterly Sales 7,649.64 5,218.15 5,949.01 4,872.52
YoY sales growth 47%
Sales growth 2yr cagr 13%
Sales growth 3yr cagr 16%

The total number of stores as of September 30, 2021 stood at 246.

8 Likes

https://www.bseindia.com/corporates/anndet_new.aspx?newsid=66f634aa-8118-44c5-8fbd-e35d7c96da48

Results are out

Total Revenue for the quarter ended September 30, 2021 stood at Rs. 7,789 crore, as compared to Rs. 5,306
crore in the same period last year. Earnings before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) in
Q2FY22 stood at Rs. 669 crore, as compared to Rs. 330 crore in the corresponding quarter of last year. EBITDA
margin stood at 8.6% in Q2FY22 as compared to 6.2% in Q2FY21.
Net Profit stood at Rs. 418 crore for Q2 FY22, as compared to Rs. 199 crore in the corresponding quarter of last
year. PAT margin stood at 5.3% in Q2FY22 as compared to 3.7% in Q2FY21
Basic Earnings per share (EPS) for Q2FY22 stood at Rs. 6.45, as compared with Rs. 3.07 for Q2FY21.
Total Revenue for H1FY22 stood at Rs. 12,972 crore, as compared to Rs. 9,189 crore in the same period last year.
Earnings before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) in H1FY22 stood at Rs. 893 crore, as
compared to Rs. 441 crore during H1FY21. EBITDA margin stood at 6.9% in H1FY22 as compared to 4.8% in
H1FY21.
Net Profit stood at Rs. 513 crore for H1FY22, as compared to Rs. 239 crore in H1FY21. PAT margin stood at 3.9%
in H1FY22 as compared to 2.6% in H1FY21.
Basic Earnings per share (EPS) for H1FY22 stood at Rs. 7.92, as compared with Rs. 3.68 for H1FY21.

2 Likes

“Covid-19 related lockdown restrictions were eased further during this quarter. Revenue in the DMart stores grew by 46.6% over the corresponding quarter of last year. Two years and older DMart stores grew by 23.7% in the month of September 2021 as compared to September 2020. We have 187 stores that are 2 years or older.
We have done a soft launch of DMart Ready in the cities of Surat and Vadodara

2 Likes