Amrutanjan Healthcare - Finally Waking Up After 100 years?

I agree. The results are disappointing compared to march 2019 and from Dec 20 as well

Also disappointed that they are losing money in beverages. That’s 3.5 crore drag.

I think they are doing some expectation management with the street.This year is already very good for them. Whether the PAT is 61 or 71 cr it is significantly higher than last year. It’s higher than Street expectation already.

However 61crore this year gives them room to show some growth next year. It’s quite easy to book some advance expenses in this quarter and have that generate revenue next quarter. I will not be surprised if some of this is going on.

Some of the company’s business is seasonal so it’s easy to do. Expect q1 to be softer always.

Company does not do any conference calls so it’s hard to judge what’s going on.

Happy to hear other views

Disc. : Invested

Any idea why cash reserve as on 31st March 2021 is at Rs.191 crs? Where and by when will this cash be deployed?

Past track record is that they do FDs with excess cash.

This time in investor presentation they have said that they will invest in electral brand. This had an advertising spend of 3.1 crores in full year and the loss on this is also 3.5 crores. So operationally this is doing ok.

The thing though is that we know sanitary pads are a underpenetrated market with huge recurring use. Electral market size is unknown. Repeat purchase depends on whether you are unwell or not. So this is going to be a smaller brand.

Cash is only 10 percent of market cap as of now so not too much.

Company needs to grow in north and west and grow comfy. Investments will be needed there.

They don’t break out their pain relief and sanitary pad advertising expenses but they might be doing more ads there.

2 Likes

These are the top 500 shareholders of Amrutanjan
TopShareHolder_210521 (1).xlsx (28.1 KB)
Surprised not to see Marcellus in that list
Ambit Capital is holding 11242 shares worth approx 79 lakhs

2 Likes

As I understand, Marcellus buy shares on investors account directly. On behalf on them they manage accounts in buy/sell.

3 Likes

Amrutanjan has been enjoying benefits of lower raw material prices especially menthol oil that is used in balms. The margins in future run a huge risk if this commodity price increases.

1 Like

Yes Mentha prices have been low in the last year. They were very high a few years ago around 2016-2017. That was one of the reasons why amrutanjan margins were low then.

The raw material trend for last few years shown in their annual report. Just like any commodity it will be cyclical and there will be enough opportunity over quarters to manage it.

One can track Mentha prices on mcx. They are around 950 levels.

The previous peak was 1650.

As of now my expectation is that it may take a couple of years to trend back to those levels.

Hopefully by then comfy will become a much larger percentage of sales from the current 17percent.

Did anyone has Annual report of Amrutanjan for the fiscal 2011-12 & 2012-13. If so, kindly share. I am unable to find above annual reports anywhere.

Investor presentation for q1 fy22

https://www.bseindia.com/corporates/anndet_new.aspx?newsid=857038b4-bced-4d48-bade-cb25e57d74fa

1 Like

Looks like very strong performance in all three segments - OTC Balms, ORS and Sanitary Napkins ( when viewed YoY )

However, there is a qoq dip in Sanitary Pad sales from 14.7 to 11.1 cr.

I personally don’t think that there should be any seasonality involved as far as the sales of Sanitary Napkins are concerned.

Anyone with any views / comments here ???

Disc : holding, tracking position

@Malhar_Manek - may I check how you retrieved the list of top 500 shareholders? I am interested to do this for some of the other companies as well.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I maybe completely wrong here but I see them struggling either on profitability or completely in this segment with time. Chances are first case as they are a very old experienced company…or maybe they reduce growth targets to control costs etc. But under very rare circumstances I see their sanitary pads segment flourishing significantly, unless they do something breakthrough in product innovation or something drastic disrupts the very enviornment in which this segment operates thereby presenting opportunity to other incumbents…
It is not easy to compete with the might of P&G and the way they get inroads into the very life of its consumers right early on in life and the way they market using socially innovative and relevant methods…it would take a mariwala sort of brain power, vision and capabilities to take on the might of global leaders already having leadership positions…not to undermine amrutanjan management/promoters as I do not have much idea about them but so far have not seen them doing something out of box like this …maybe this segment will be their first successful attempt and surprise me positively!!
Thanks

2 Likes

@ranvir April to June was sever covid for approx 60 days of the quarter.

Most companies conference call I have heard said so. Apr1 -apr 15 was ok and then jun15- jun30 was better.

In between everything was slow and covid affected. This is mostly because practically every company’ s employees or their family was affected.

Amrutanjan does not do conference call and their presentations are very cryptic. So it might just help to give them benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally they signed shraddha kapoor as brand ambassador so they obviously want to scale it.

What stood out for me was commodity price inflation (cost if goods- non Mentha). If that goes out of hand topline will grow but not the margin.

I think if they hit last full years profit number this year that would be a decent achievement

3 Likes

may be the expense is to onboard Sharda Kapoor with n Crs of endorsement expense?

1 Like

Hi,

In 2020 they had impaired 14 cr of receivables, about 35 % of total receivable. Revenue from operation was 261 cr ( 5% of revenue).

In 2021 they impaired 7.98 cr of receivables,
about 31% of receivables.

Can anyone throw some light on this?

4 Likes

Company aggressively advertising with prominent IPL team .

One with Sharddha Kapoor

Yesterday they roped in Olypmic stars Mirabai Chanu and Barang Punia for Pain relief category.

7 Likes

How to get such list? I wanted to check for other companies too

1 Like

H1FY22 Investor presentation. instg read.
Advertisement spend increased over 125%.

1 Like

From notes

The reduction in PBT from Rs. 31.39 crores (Q2 FY21) to Rs. 26.36 crores (Q2 FY22) was predominantly due to the additional
investment made in growing brand “Comfy” (advertising spend) during this quarter when compared to the corresponding quarter of
the previous year (Q2 FY22 Rs.10.16 crores as against Q2 FY21 Rs.1.54 crores)

3 Likes

In FY21, Amrutanjan’s revenues grew 27% to Rs.333 crore, but between FY13 and FY20, revenues grew in single digits from Rs.138 crore to Rs.261 crore. Whether the recent performance is a flash in the pan triggered by Covid related demand or something has fundamentally changed in the company is the moot question I am trying to understand. Strong growth has continued in H1 FY22, but that is also a Covid-impacted period and inferences can be misleading.

The business shows a clear seasonal pattern, with sales lowest during the first quarter of the financial year, and rising linearly in Q2-Q3-Q4. Ignoring the aberrations caused by Covid, past trends indicate around 15% of the annual sales happen in Q1, rising to 25% in Q2 and 60% in the second half of the year.

Most of the revenues continue to come from the flagship Amrutanjan Balm and its many variants and extensions around head, body, congestion etc. But this is a mature segment, not sure how fast it can grow sans support from events like Covid. If the recent jump in revenues is due to Covid, sales will retrace when Covid subsides and growth rate will revert to the earlier (low) mean.

The Beverages foray, after 10 years of nurturing has gone nowhere, clocking sales of just around Rs.17-18 crores per year last two years. It had registered revenues of Rs.20 crore in FY13. Fruitnik juice has been unable to dent established brands like Tropicana and Frooti. ORS Electro+ was introduced in FY17. It grew strongly in H1 FY22 and offers some hope for future, but it is too early and too small to celebrate.

The Services segment (Pain Management Center) is another drag on management time and energy, clocking just Rs.1-2 crore revenues per year. I am not sure if there are some intangible benefits coming out of this venture, otherwise I would like to see the company exit this totally, just as they exited chemicals business in the past.

Comfy – launched in 2011-12 - has done relatively well, growing from Rs.1 crore in FY14 to Rs.54 crore in FY21. Comfy now contributes 17% to the company sales. This is a high growth segment. Improving socio-economic conditions of women in India provides a natural tailwind to this business and is driving growth. Comfy can be scaled up significantly but will require good marketing acumen. Going forward, as Comfy grows faster and its proportion to Amrutanjan’s revenue increases, it will provide an automatic push to the company’s overall growth rate.

FMCG business is largely a marketing and distribution game. Amrutanjan’s distributor network has grown from around 1600 in FY13 to 2500+ currently. The management has spoken about taking it to 5000 but how much time that it will take is anybody’s guess. E-Commerce sales have begun but are currently small. Ad spends have increased in recent years, from single digits 7-8 years ago to around 15% of revenues presently. Olympic medallists Bajrang Punia and Mirabai Chanu have been signed up as Brand Ambassadors for pain products, and Shraddha Kapoor for Comfy. New products have been launched like Dental Pain Relief Gel. Prices of menthol crystal – the main raw material – have been benign in recent years, allowing company to invest in ASP without impacting profitability.

Based on the seasonal trends mentioned above and assuming Q2FY22 was a ‘normal’ quarter, Amrutanjan will clock sales of around Rs.125 crore in Q3 FY22 and Rs.130 crore in Q4 FY22. For the full year, the stock can report revenues of Rs.445 crore and at 17% PAT margin, is trading at a forward P/E of 35X. Views and counterviews are invited.

(Disc: Not invested)

16 Likes