Yogesh's blue chip 10 Portfolio

That’s a million dollar question, isn’t it? I don’t have an answer to that just more questions that can help you answer it yourself.

What I have presented in this thread is a stock selection strategy and what you are asking is asset allocation strategy.

Theoretically, you can value each stock using standard valuation models, derive expected return, risk and correlations and use mean variance optimization to decide asset allocation between stocks and other risky and risk free assets. Institutions do that and it is the most widely used and best method of asset allocation. But it does require accurate inputs and getting those right isn’t always easy. Individuals decide their asset allocation based on changes in sentiments and headlines and that is the worst way to decide your allocation.

If you are young and plan on investing for a long time, just ignore market and focus on gaining an edge and keep investing as in the long term markets almost always go up. Also, if your current income is large enough to meet your current expenses, it shouldn’t matter to you if market drop 50%. I had been following this strategy earlier and in hindsight I wish had followed it rigorously.

Even if you are retired and sell part of your portfolio for your daily expenses, you can create a bear market reserve consisting of liquid funds which you can liquidate during bear markets instead of selling undervalued stocks. Invest rest of the portfolio in equities. Most bear market bottoms where stocks are undervalued do not last longer than 12-18 months so you can decide how big a reserve you should create. I am slowing moving towards this strategy. When should you start liquidating your reserves and when should you start rebuilding it again is a judgement call but it is lot easier than timing market tops and bottoms.

I have met a few people who invest because they want to call their own shots and enjoy being proven right. Their objective is to satisfy their inner desire to make their own decisions and be proven right and not necessarily build long term wealth. Some of them try and time the market regularly so they are right few times or buy a large number of stocks so they are right about something all the time so they always have something to brag about. They don’t talk about their long term performance but only about their process. If you fall under this category, you don’t have to worry about allocation and selection.

Another rather simplistic yet effective strategy I have used in the past is to look at trend vs actual value of market index to decide allocation. Chart presented here compares where market is current trading and what the trend value (a simple ordinary least squares regression line) is along with allocation zones. I did use and continue to refer to this chart to decide my allocation.

Finally, Calculating intrinsic value is logically the correct way to decide allocation. Valuation is a combination of art and science and too much of either is not going to work. I have presented the valuation model that I use and combine it with insights gained from reading annual reports, this forum, meetings etc to decide intrinsic value. Based on this model, if I find something that is undervalued I buy it irrespective of how expensive the market is. Similarly, if a stock in portfolio becomes expensive I sell it again irrespective of how expensive or cheap overall market it. A strong sense of intrinsic value is needed if you want to follow this strategy. You have to hold on to your notion of value during market extremes and you have to be right about your calculations.

As you can see, over the over the years I have changed my allocation strategy and it is still evolving and likely to change in future as well. Your choice can depend on what you are comfortable with as I think sticking to a strategy is more important than having the most accurate strategy.

30 Likes

Very useful answer for many of us who are new. Thank you @Yogesh_s

We should meet, Amit. I have held HDFC T200 for more than 20 years. It started out as ITC Threadneedle 200, then Zurich 200 and thereafter HDFC 200. Returns have been very good, better than index. It was a lumpsum investment and I dont recall SIP being available until much later.

For someone who can dedicate an hour a week, “Investing in Index scrips” will give far better results than “Index Investing”. For a little effort, if one claim self-dependency, as opposed to having to track a fund or its manager, then it is certainly worth it.

In the last VP meet in Mumbai, I presented this approach (Investing in Index Scrips, and not Index Investing). It was about aiming for the low hanging fruits (18% returns, 3 times FD-rates), where the primary focus was safety of capital. I should’ve titled it “Smart-Investment for Dummies”

I had lined up a few simple optimizations, each of which can increase the returns on investment while taking on small measures of additional risks. Sans ARs, ratios and the works.

In the next presentation, I promise to be more organized and coherent. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yogesh bhai, any reasons Bajaj Auto is not considered for your 2018 portfolio? I know it is a under performer compared to the Index for the last 5 years. Want to hear your views. Thank you.

Off Topic, but important:

FRDI… A law which could endanger all monies in electronic form. In layman terms government could allow the Banks to use your deposits (cash, gold and stock) to adjust against the losses they make due to NPA.

That makes me think, it is probably a good idea to get our investments in Materialized form? For a long term investor there arent very many transactions anyway. It would be a sure way to protect ones ownership of stocks.

DRAFT FRDI BILL for forum discussion.

1. Now the bill is with JPC and will be tabled in next parliamentary session.
  2. I think the purpose of the bill is to bring in concept of BAIL IN instead of present system of BAIL OUT, wherein government was compensating the PSU Banks for NPA defaults.
  3. Further It is a step towards Deposit Insurance being made compulsory if you want to save your deposits from BAIL IN process. (May be opportunity for insurance companies)
  4. Further it may be a step towards privatisation of PSU banks as govt no longer can often bail out the banks from the public money with RBI, which indirectly causes loss to public exchequer.

FRDI Bill-27092016.pdf (1.0 MB)

1 Like

People are happy to invest in a 10 times leveraged institution without any worries, but appear to be worried about a clause which could be used in rarest of the rare case. :rofl: The most recent example seems to have happened in Cyprus.

And no one is worried out co-operative banks which are mostly failures. No one is worried out gold buying schemes. These are forgotten and forgiven as quickly as possible.

Probably Govt should use the idea from US of protecting the liabilities of the bank while the entire risk is borne out by the Equity & Bond holders in case of failures. And should add a clause to punish the rating agencies to ensure they do their jobs fairly by not giving highest ratings until the last day and after failure down grade to junk status without any responsibility.:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

5 Likes

The thought that the bank would have authority to adjust my FD against its losses, is nightmarish. It also extends to Demat accounts. Any wealth in electronic form can used for the “greater good”

Sheer nightmare.

Once passed, its usage won’t be as rare as it seems.

What did you mean by it also extends to demat accounts? Equity holders loose out almost everything on liquidation anyways right? What worse could happen?

Hi Yogesh,

Wanted to Get your View on ITC.

I was going through their Annual Report and it states that last year their Non-Cigratte revenue was 58% of the total.
But Profit Breakup was not given.
If you have could you please share the Profit Breakup.
Also this is already a 315000CR Mcap so how much do you see it growing.

Regards,
Kapil

1 Like

Firstly, demat accounts are with NSDL and CDSL. Even if banks fail, demat accounts cannot be touched.
Secondly, if a bank collapses, your money is gone (apart from 1 lakh which is insured), with or without FRDI bill.

The chances of a scheduled commercial bank collapsing is extremely low; it has never happened in the last 2-3 decades. If a bank is not doing well, RBI gets it merged with another bank.

1 Like

While industry sales are rising for last few years

Source: Company Annual Report 2016-17

Bajaj auto is lagging in domestic market. In last couple of years it has done better than industry in motorcycle sales but that has come at the cost of exports.

Source: Company Annual Report 2016-17

Things aren’t looking good this year either. Company is blaming it on external factors.

Source: Company Half Yearly Communication 2017-18

At the industry level, motorcycle sales are not growing at least in the last couple years. Bajaj is also not present in the fast growing scooter segment where Activa is the leader. Women and uncles prefer scooter over motorcycles. I still wonder why it let go its scooter business. Chetak was my first vehicle. Avenger is unable to make any inroads into Royal Enfield’s turf and Honda is going after Bajaj after splitting from Hero. Overall, I think Bajaj has lost its mojo and it will be a while before it will get it back.

8 Likes

ITC is still primarily a tobacco business. It’s a cash cow that is being used to fund the FMCG business. FMCG business is not doing well. Patanjali came late and did better than ITC. everyone’s hoping that the FMCG business will take off at some point but that has been illusive for years.
Tobacco business is flourishing though. Patanjali will never get into that business. Cigarette prices in India are still quiet low even after relentless tax hikes. In other countries prices are much higher and per capital consumption is still higher than India. I think consumption is a function of income.

You can get the details from segment data

Sales (Rs Cr)

Source: Capitaline

PBIT (Rs Cr)

Source: Capitaline

7 Likes

The law permits the bank to use all that is yours. This is scary, and I wonder what comes under the umbrella. I expect them to spare nothing. If they can usurp your FDs then how far behind is LIC, Stocks and everything electronic. Demon is a prime example of their brazenness.

If that were the case, then there would be no need for FRDI. FRDI is before the collapse, to avoid the collapse. So, I imagine, every time the NPA rises above normal, the RBI may instruct the bank to give its depositor the haricut. Anyway, you look at it, it is just wrong.

1 Like

Yogesh,
Bosh is not part of 2018 portfolio. any reason why was it not considered? - its price is kind of stagnant for last 4 years.
eps has increased from 326 in mar 2015 to 537 in mar 2017 as per screener.

EPS has dropped to 430 in Sept 2017 as some of the automotive business is discontinued. company also bought back shares at high valuation. Company has average ROE of 16% so whatever moat company has is not reflected in profits. Overall Bosch is trading at 47 times earning so most of future growth is priced in. I don’t have visibility beyond what is priced on so not including Bosch.
Price has gone nowhere in 4 years because 4 year ago P/E ratio was 80. That’s the peril of paying a high price. In spite of growth in earnings, stock went nowhere as it was overvalued. During the Modi rally in 2013-14, stock went from 9000 to 28000 based purely on hope and expectations without much realizations.

9 Likes

Hi Yogesh, Happy New Year. Wanted your thoughts on ICE maker, i read your write up, since then mk cap has moved 100%, how you see it valued now? Thank You.

Hi Yogesh. What are your thoughts on ITC. What changed so much that price fell 30%. I think they have a bigger Moat than other FMCG stocks due to cigarettes as there is no Patanjali disruption. Do you see ITC heading back to 350 levels any time soon?

1 Like

@aceinvestor_75
Happy new year to you and all VP members.
Ice Make has rallied almost 100% from IPO price. Investors have priced in higher profits that will come from growth in next 2 years. Company is building even higher capacities so it will be able to grow even further beyond what is visible. Growth opportunities are there and company has demonstrated ability to capture those opportunities.
However, for manufacturing companies, growth is limited by capacity which cannot be added overnight. Markets always discounts certainty into the price. Only uncertain part of the future is not priced in. I will put intrinsic value of Ice Make at 90. That does not mean price will drop to 90. It only means I will be confidant that buying at 90 will reduce my chances of permanent loss of capital. At CMP, there is no room for error. company can still grow faster than expected and stock price can still go up without any any major pullback but buying at this price is risky but not speculative.

@SlownSteady
When GST rates were finalized, effective taxes on ITC worked out to be lower than what ITC was paying which meant either ITC will pass on those taxes to consumers boosting volumes or retain those boosting margins. Either way it was beneficial to company and investors drove up the price higher. Govt quickly recognized this and plugged the loophole with additional cess on tobacco and the price fell. Overall, price hasn’t changed much in 2017. ITC has under performed Nifty 50 in 2017. It continues to be a cashflow story and FMCG play as a potential benefit that has been illusive for years. 350 is unlikely in 2018. This is a steady 15-18% story.

8 Likes