ValuePickr - Chintan Baithak 2019

This was my second year at VP Chintan Baithak. @phreakv6 and I came by car which gave us 10 hours extra time to discuss before we reach Goa.

Day 1 started with investment journey of new members to the meet. I was amazed by the excellent work done by Rahul, Narendra, Amit and Bharani (Phreak). Each one of them had unique background and still they picked up investing in their own style. The perspectives were quite varied and insightful. As usual sessions ended late night and then many of us were into pool-side discussion mode (see pics from @basumallick in first post to get a glimpse :slight_smile:

2nd day started with early morning swimming followed by marathon session from Hiren Ved. This went on till evening. Triggered so many thoughts for further reflection.

Key learning takeaways from Hiren Ved for me:

• Keep evolving in your investing journey, keep learning

• Evaluate your ideas frequently and reflect on buy or sell decisions at later stage to understand what went wrong, what went right, what was thought process earlier vs. outcome

• Always keep asking WHY? (this was simple but made profound impact)

• On Indian market: pure Graham style value investing will not work as much as Growth based investing (growth with quality at reasonable valuation could be best approach)

• Again it was very interesting to see how he evolved across the styles and still evolving

• Many other insights on importance to access management through their actions, RoC, dilution, capital allocation, body language, tone of speaking etc.

• Think ahead: look for scalable opportunity, competitive edge, opportunity size in the businesses

• Look for risk : reward (ideally minimum 1:3) and think in terms of probability; Average UP if the thesis is working in your favour

The list can go on…since it was more than 5+ hours of discussion.

This was then followed by Chemical 2.0 sector presentation which our team prepared (Ankit, Bharani, @desaidhwanil, Narendra, @spatel and myself). This was again marathon session with lot of companies in the sector covered with differential insights by each member.

Next day was very hectic with line-up of individual presentations and also few sector presentations. Amazed by how members like Dhwanil, Ankit, Hitesh Bhai, Manish bhai, Pratyush, Rupesh, Kedar, Ayush bhai, Abhishek dada, @spatel, @dd1474 etc. keep raising bar with more and more insights.

Presentation on insights from Charlie Munger by Sandeep Kapadia was thought provoking and extremely insightful.

During the hangout session Dada and Hitesh bhai presented new areas of Technical Analysis for investors. This was very much appreciated by everyone and made them aware of additional way of looking at markets along with fundamentals.

Sector presentation on Capital Goods was very thorough and amazing how data crunching was done by the team. One of the best I have ever seen on the sector.

On the way back got opportunity to interact at length with @ayushmit, Jiten Parmar, Harshit, Pratyush, Amit, Sandeep Kapadia and Harshit. Can’t get better than this :slight_smile:

Overall, truly inspiring and great learning experience. Lot to absorb, reflect and think over next few days. Lastly, would like to thank entire core team for excellent arrangement and opportunity to be part of this learning bonanza. Thanks.

Here is my company presentation on Mold-Tek Packaging.

Mold-Tek Packaging_Vivek Mashrani_VP Goa Meet.pdf (1.8 MB)

32 Likes