Review request for my portfolio

No wrong in holding financials that too the ones you are holding. Issue is the skewed allocation which might hurt when there is any sector specific events. With Bajaj Finance, it is 10 stocks out of 16 stocks and possibly ~65% PF weightage to financials. Please post your stock wise allocation of your PF for better understanding.

I feel you need not even sell any of your finance stocks now if you are in stock accumulation/PF building stage. You may just add to other stocks in different sectors.

1. Food based FMCG companies: Britannia, Nestle
  2. Non food based FMCG cos: HUL, Procter and Gamble
  3. Food and non food based FMCG cos: Dabur, ITC
  4. QSR: Jubilant Foodworks, Tata Global Beverages
  5. Consumption: Titan, Page, Relaxo Footwear
  6. Chemicals and allied cos: Pidilite, Asian Paints, PI Industries
  7. Automotive allied cos: MRF, Exide, Wabco, Minda
  8. Healthcare related: Thyrocare, Dr Lal Pathlabs, Poly Medicure
  9. Manpower based: Quess, Teamlease
  10. Travel and leisure: Thomas Cook, Wonderla

I feel it is a bet on India and the wonderful story that might play out over next couple of decades. Of course the above list is an indication only that we can build a robust PF across sectors which might do well across all cycles. You have to do due diligence before acting.

6 Likes

Thanks.
Allocation.
Allocation to HDFC now is very low

Non-Finance:: 41%

3M (5%), Avenue SuperMart (8%), Symphony (5%), Motherson Sumi (9%), Eicher Motors (12%) Dilip Buildcon (2%) .

Banks :: 37%

Kotak ( 10%) , HDFC Bank ( 10%), RBL(6%), Yes (6%), Bharat Finance(5%) –

NBFC : 22%

NBFC :: Motilal (7%), Edelweiss (7%), Piramal (5%), Bajaj (2%), HDFC (1%)

May look at Britannia, Page, Pidilite. Quess.
Problem with many others is that the matrix that I use is not encouraging for many ( last 3 year profit growth / 3 year price appreciation )

3 Likes

Off all the above and others, I find only 4 promising and consistent:
Minda/Quess/KEI, if business environment improves, Avanti.
March 2017 was a bad quarter so sudden jump this quarter needs to be calculated on 2 or 3 years basis.
Most above are at a very high PE and low growth rate except Page.
But I know very little and do not understand most of the things - ratios, outlook, balance sheet, cash flow … so

In general Portfolio stocks look good. Few comments:
Dmart for the medium term may be under pressure with promoter diluting stake to reach 75%
Yes bank is good but very volatile and to some extent controversial-could look at Indusind.
If your aim is to attain 25% approx without too much analysis and deep digging- Bajaj Finance, Consumer names like Maruti/Titan should be on the radar. Of Course entry price matters. Please do not get in/out as it will destroy returns unless there is a serious headwind for the industry or company.

Queries:

1. Selling a good company (dmart ) very difficult to buy back at right time. Sold page, could not buy.
  2. Yes Bank - Agree. but it is comparatively cheap and has always come back from lows.
  3. Maruti / Titan - Excellent prospects, PE is pushing me back.
  4. But what to sell?

Titan : 3 years CAGR
Profit growth : 12%
Sales Growth : 9%
Price Appreciation : 36%

1. Had gotten out of Symphony, Will look at it once revenue growth is back in a consistent manner. Right now, imho, very expensive. Good stock but I simply do not have patience for falling revenue & profit growth.

2. Had bought KEI Industries & Minda Industries.

3. Need to see how Dilip Buildcon, 3M India, Motherson, Piramal results come out.

4. Sticking to my thesis of increasing profit and revenue with reasonable RoE. One quarter fall is ok but annual slowdown, without any specific temporary reason, is a bit difficult for me to digest.

5. Will move to balancing core portfolio ( > 5% allocation ) on an annual basis unless there is a major event.

6. Keep on experimenting with small allocations ( < 5%) as per quarterly results / major events.

7. While weighted average EPS growth of past as well as current portfolio has been/is > 30%, looking for 12-15% returns on an annual basis to keep my emotions in check.

2 Likes

Its been a long time since you have updated your portfolio thread @Yatharth . Do let us know how it has been in last 1year as the journey has been mostly roller coaster type in general.

Playing more towards stability : Continued with :
3M India
Avenue Supermarts
HDFC Bank
Kotak Mahindra
Piramal Enterprises
RBL Bank
Yes Bank

Added
Nestle
Honeywell
Pidilite
Asian Paints
Bajaj Finance

4 Likes

Flipped , Failed, Flopped, somehow survived.
Reviewing last 3 Diwalis. When you have good allocation in Motherson, Sun Pharma, Eicher , Page, RBL, Yes Bank, Motilal, Edelweiss, Piramal, Dilip Buildcon, Amara, Symphony, Cera, Repco, Granules… You do not need additional bad luck. Can only say, I do not know when to sell, or rather, forgot basics which made me financially independent some 5-6 years back.
Somehow, still , able to keep the portfolio value almost(?) intact in the last 2 years, however destruction in individual stocks has been huge. Gone back to so called quality. Let us see if that works or another round disruption will hit the markets.
I agree that it is not a very inspiring post but in last 2 years, Auto, Small Cap, non-index financial, Pharma have been hit so bad that it may take a few years to come back and even that I cannot be sure.
Learning - It is important to understand market cycles and skills to move from one sector to other. Just picking good stocks is not enough.

2 Likes