Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

I attended once. It is a reiteration of the topics discussed in his “Peaceful Investing” book that one can buy from his website. If you have studied his book, there is nothing new in the workshop. He also has a recording of the whole workshop available as on-demand video that one can watch any number of times for a year. Unfortunately, this on-demand video was not available when I signed up for the workshop.

In essence, the workshop is an in person rendition of the contents of his book in a fast pace in one day.

2 Likes

Thank you…
i think i should read his book first and then decide.

Regards

Hello!,

I am looking for sector classification (down to 2-3 levels) of the shares listed on the exchanges. I have tried to come up with some.

If anyone of you has an excel with 2-3 levels of sector classification, kindly share. My objective is to come up with 2-3 stocks in each which I can keep a track of.

Here’s what I could come up with. Many thanks.

• FMCG - Consumer Discretionary
  • FMCG - Consumer Staples
  • FMCG - Sin Stocks
  • Energy - Oil Marketing Companies (OMC)
  • Energy - Power
  • Energy - Solar, wind, etc
  • Financials - Corporate Banks
  • Financials - PSU Banks
  • Financials - Pvt Retail Banks
  • Financials - Housing NBFC
  • Financials - Consumer NBFC (cvs, tv, mobile, etc)
  • Financials - Infra Const NBFC
  • IT - Largecap
  • IT - Midcap
  • IT - Smallcap
  • Pharma - Non India focus
  • Pharma - India focus
  • Pharma - Generic
  • Pharma - Contract Manufac
  • Aviation
  • Telecom - Main
  • Telecom - Infra (tower, equipment, etc)

Best,
Anshul

1 Like

Check here
https://www.moneycontrol.com/stocks/marketinfo/marketcap/bse/index.html

1 Like

Can anyone please tell how to find out the historical Highest , lowest , Median , Average PE ratios of a particular company ? Is there any website which provides this ? Thanks in advance.

Check ratestar.in, they have PE ratio curve also Screener.in

Does quarterly results mandatory?
or is there exception for <100 market cap?
please help

Yes its mandatory for all listed companies…

1 Like

I was going through the book review of ‘It’s Earnings that Count…’ by Hewitt Heiserman, Jr. There is a test to filter out risky companies and one of the parameters mentioned is that the Short Ratio [Number of shares short/Float] <= 15%.

I would be grateful if I could be pointed in the right direction as to where I can find authentic information on this. Yahoo Finance says that their data is based on Morningstar. In my experience, the data of Morningstar does not tally with that on Screener.in and I tend to trust the latter more somehow! In any case, there are few companies whose short ratio is mentioned even on Yahoo Finance.

My second question is what should be the period to be taken for short ratio? should be calculated yearly, so that it corresponds with other data? If so, should I take the average of the monthly shorts (as is given on Yahoo Finance)? But then I would need historical data and I am currently not able to find that!

Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.

Regards

Sandeep

There is no way currently available to calculate the short ratio in a stock in the Indian market. The cash market stocks which do not have a derivative traded in the Indian market have no such data. Also for the stocks in the derivatives list there is the Open Interest available which can give a brief of the way positions have been created for a particular stock but it gives no clear picture of the longs or shorts

1 Like

Hello all.how can i find research reports of microcap companies?for which research firms we cn trust?

Brokers like Edelweiss, Motilal Oswal, HDFC Securities and some others do publish research reports on their websites and they cover individual stocks, sectors and also thematic reports. However, one must not use these reports for the individual recommendations but use them as a tool to understand salient points about the industry or the company. Some of these reports are exhaustive and cover the industries very well and can be used for understanding data points which can help someone in their individual analysis.

1 Like

Thank you .they are estimating 80cr net profit for everest ind for fy 2021 is it correct or just assumption

Hello,

I have a very basic Cash flow question. Please see the above cash flow statement. 2 questions

1. What does a negative “Cash and cash equivalents at the end of period” mean (picture 2 of the above)? If I understand it right, they fell short of cash in the 2 years under consideration above and funded it by using bank overdrafts ? Is that right ?

2. Where do Bank overdrafts appear on the Balance Sheet (BS) ? Under current / short term borrowings ? Also, would it exactly tally with the figure on the BS given the indirect method of cash flow calculation is more a end of the year academic exercise and the company would have borrowed from the bank in a staggered manner, as needed, through the year ?

Any insights to the above would be much appreciated, esp by the start accountants on the forum ! :slight_smile:

Although I am not an expert, but I think the following link may help: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/050415/how-should-i-evaluate-company-negative-cash-flow-investing-activities.asp

Sandeep

1 Like

I sent few question to a conpany’ (a 2000Cr+ MCap company from a reputed business house) Investor Relations id 5 weeks back. After 5-6 days I asked them to atleast acknowledge my mail if reply is getting delayed. They did acknowledge the mail after that reminder, but have not come back to me yet.

10 days back I also mailed same set of questions (with minor modifications) to their CFO, no reply from her also.

They do Quarterly earning call, and business channel interviews. Is 5 weeks too early to expect a reply from them.

1 Like

Can someone explain me the difference between term and non term advances ?

You email the company secretary.

Term Advances–> They are usually term loans with fixed repayment schedule generally given for tenures more than 1 year
Non-Term Advances–> Usually working capital or short term loans

1 Like

How do one read cash flow statement when year to year is uneven to value a stock ? This theme is also observed in high market cap stable stocks too.

1 Like