City Union Bank (CUB) ~ Conservative Lending Franchise

Results Update

CUB has reported 18.5 per cent drop in profit to Rs 157.7 crore during the quarter ended September 30, 2020, from Rs193.5 crore a year ago. PAT for the quarter was impacted on account of additional provision made to the tune of Rs 115cr towards Covid-19 to meet any future contingency. NII stood at Rs 475.2 crore as compared to Rs 411.5 crore, up 15.4per cent.

Net NPA dropped to 1.81 per cent during the second quarter from 2.11 per cent in the first quarter and 1.90 per centduring the second quarter of last year. Gross NPA was at 3.44 per cent during the second quarter as compared to 3.90 per cent in the first quarter and 3.41 per cent last year in the second quarter.

The bank’s CAR stood at 17.36 per cent ascompared to 16.77 per cent in the first quarter and 15.49 per cent during the second quarter ended September 2019

CUB has all the right ingredients, which include conservative management, unparalleled lending franchise, stable margins, superior return ratios across cycles and a well capitalized balance sheet to deliver steady performance over the years.With ~70% of the branches in rural and semi urban regions, the bank’s asset quality will have a relatively lower impact of the pandemic.

6 Likes

Any updates on why CUB is falling right now ?
The result were good in the last quarter also.

Hi Amit,

Potentially because of some large funds exiting - example: Marcellus ? They replaced CUB with Chola this month

Secondly, guidance is very clear that it will take 6 quarters plus to get to 1.5% ROA. Why should this business trade at 2x book at sub 15% ROE’s ?

Hi Saran,

I would love to hear from you or if you can guide me what’s the best way to evaluate a banking stock or financial stock on the fundamental parameter.

Criteria I’m using now is a mix of PE with PB and yes the major focus on the governance part as well.

1 Like
3 Likes

Unfortunately for all the advantages of CUB, it has barely moved the needle as far as stock price is considered. I have had it for more than 5 years now but it is almost at the point where I bought it all those 5 years back :slight_smile: I might just sell it off and buy another stock. Just my two cents

3 Likes

Then you must have seen it doubled also at its peak on 17th Jan, 2020. The subsequent crash and inability for the price to move is because of derating associated with the struggles it faced owing to the distress undergone by its client base. With the things normalizing now we may see it regaining its previous high soon.

Disc. Holding patiently since early 2019. Added heavily in the recent correction. Value investing is not easy. :confused:

4 Likes

City Union Bank is the first bank in India to enable UPI based cash withdrawal.

Private sector lender City Union Bank has already gone live with UPI-led cash withdrawals and has partnered with ATM maker NCR India. For such transactions, a customer needs to scan the QR code displayed on the ATM screen using any of the UPI apps and authorize the transaction using the UPI pin. The current plan is to limit such withdrawals to ₹5,000 per transaction with a limit of two transactions per day per account, industry executives said.

6 Likes

Review by @suru27

6 Likes

City Union Bank has launched an unique service.

https://www.cityunionbank.com/upi-123pay

Using this service you can transfer money via UPI, check balance and do mobile recharge from any phone including Feature Phones through IVR. You can register any bank account in it. I have just sent money by registering my Canara Bank account and sent money to my wife’s account… It was easy!!

Only issue is that they allow to send money to a phone number. It’s via IVR, so it’s obvious. I found that after I entered my wife’s number money was sent to her @ybl UPI account and associated bank account (she has multiple bank accounts but only Axis was registered with that UPI ID), which was created because she used PhonePe once. Not sure if money can be sent to someone who doesn’t have an @ybl UPI id.

More on this:

https://www.npci.org.in/what-we-do/upi-123pay/product-overview

So, apart from CUB, two other providers are offering this service.

They are also offering Keychain and Smartwatch debit cards.
https://www.cityunionbank.com/pay-on-the-go

How does this feature will bring in revenue to the bank​:thinking::thinking:

Not much more, this feature enabling UPI for basic phone customer but in current scenario basic phone users are very few compare to smartphone users.

Maybe not!

According to August 2021 data from Counterpoint Research, India had a considerable installed base of 320 million feature phone users. In comparison, a February report by Deloitte said the country had around 750 million smartphone users, out of a total of 1.2 billion mobile phone subscribers in 2021.

Regardless, I am unsure as to how CUB will monetise this.

Unlike businesses that have outgrown the conventional accounting, which has led to large missing chunks of value from their Balance Sheets (land recorded at historical cost, absence of internally generated brand, expensing of moat inducing Ad Spends), banking institutions probably have the most real time Balance sheets. Since a large component of the Asset side as well the liability side is money in one form or another, an intrinsic value of a bank can be calculated with some amount of conviction.

However, these institutions have a tendency to blow up in the face of investors with small prior warning, the 2 major reasons being –

Leverage
Asset Liability Mismatch

With these parameters, best banking companies do not tend to be aggressive leveraged lenders, they tend to be the lowest cost operators who lend prudently. Cost Advantage stems from multiple parameters –

1. Access to low cost deposits – CASA (Current Account / Savings Accounts)
  2. Low cost to income ratio.
  3. Creating streams of value added services at lower incremental costs. (increasing revenue per employee and per square footage) treasury operations, distribution commission, locker charges, processing fees.

I have analysed City Union Bank (CUB). An institution that has been in existence for around 115 years, never once making a loss, paying dividend in al years. Headquartered in Tamil Nadu, where it also conducts significant parts of its operations. CUB is an old school banker, a conservative lender predominantly lending to MSMEs (36% of its loan book) for their working capital. Nearly 99% of its loans are secured by a collateral.

MSME Loans tend to have high yields on loans given out, and thus CUB has one of the highest yields on advances in the Indian banking system –

Particulars 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021
CUB 13% 13% 13% 13% 12% 12% 11% 11% 10% 10%
KVB 12% 12% 12% 12% 12% 11% 10% 10% 10% 9%
Federal bank 12% 11% 11% 12% 10% 10% 9% 9% 9% 8%
ICICI 9% 10% 10% 10% 9% 9% 8% 9% 9% 8%
HDFC 12% 12% 12% 11% 11% 10% 10% 10% 10% 9%
Axis 10% 10% 10% 10% 10% 9% 8% 9% 9% 8%

Most of the loans it gives out are for WC purposes, and the business is driven by long term relationship between the branch manager and the borrower. Below is the RoA waterfall for the company –

Particulars 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
Interest earned on Assets 9.5% 10.2% 9.7% 9.0% 9.2% 8.8% 8.7% 9.0% 8.4% 6.8%
Other Income as a % of Assets 1.2% 1.1% 1.4% 1.1% 1.2% 1.1% 0.8% 0.8% 0.7% 1.2%
Interest Paid as a % of Assets 6.8% 7.1% 6.8% 6.2% 5.6% 4.9% 4.8% 5.0% 4.3% 3.6%
Operating Exp as a % of Assets 1.6% 1.8% 1.8% 1.8% 2.0% 1.9% 2.0% 2.0% 2.0% 1.8%
Provisions as a % of Assets 0.5% 0.7% 0.7% 0.7% 0.9% 1.0% 0.7% 1.5% 1.5% 1.0%
Pretax RoAs 1.8% 1.7% 1.9% 1.4% 2.0% 2.0% 2.0% 1.2% 1.3% 1.6%
Post tax RoAs 1.4% 1.4% 1.4% 0.9% 1.4% 1.5% 1.5% 1.0% 1.1% 1.2%
Financial Leverage 14.0 12.3 10.3 10.4 9.9 9.6 9.4 9.4 9.1 9.3
RoE 20% 17% 15% 10% 14% 14% 14% 9% 10% 12%

As can be observed from above, the current RoEs are subdued on account of low leverage (post fund raise in 2015) and higher COVID provisioning in last 2 years. Further, CUB, like overall banking sector, has seen a lower credit growth in the last 3-4 years, as demand continues to be arrested –

Particulars 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 Avg
CUB 31% 26% 6% 12% 17% 13% 17% 17% 4% 7% 15%
KVB 34% 23% 15% 6% 8% 5% 10% 8% -5% 9% 11%
Federal bank 18% 17% -1% 18% 13% 26% 25% 20% 11% 8% 16%
ICICI 17% 14% 17% 14% 12% 7% 10% 14% 10% 14% 13%
HDFC 22% 23% 26% 21% 27% 19% 19% 24% 21% 14% 22%
Axis 19% 16% 17% 22% 21% 10% 18% 13% 15% 9% 16%

As observed, while average credit growth has been high for all the private players (on account of them taking away market share from PSBs), CUBs credit growth has been lagging the industry bigwigs. The same is on account of growth of housing loan and industrial credit segments, in which CUB is not present to a large extent. Further, in 2019, CUB reduced its credit growth voluntarily on account of impending slowdown in the MSME sector and the economy in general. Further, the mgmt. has been prescient in calling out lower growth for the banking sector going forward –
“From the year 2004 to 2014, the credit growth was almost three times as the GDP growth and you also had higher inflation and the sector growth rate for what do you call 17%-18% and all were quite normal for a few years in that period. Also at that point of time there were discussions that the banking sector growth rates together itself will get into single digit for multiple reasons. One, lower inflation is settling in, number two the corporates will be driven to bond market because of the compliance of many conditions on the bank borrowing. . And the third factor was that the capital availability for public sector banks were getting lower and that’s why their contribution will start lowering which will be an opportunity for the private sector banks. Over all we may not be seeing once again that 20% growth / 18% of growth and all are going to be very tough. So the growth will come to the single digits and probably we should be stabilizing somewhere between 10% to 15% and also like say getting our ROE above 15% , so that the returned earning itself will take care of the capital requirement. I am not talking about today or tomorrow or day after tomorrow but, I’m talking for a period of let’s say 10 years.”
Our thesis here rests on 4 parameters –

1. Banks act as great inflation hedges since any increase in interest rates is a direct pass through to the borrowers, while deposit rates take some time to change. This leads to higher spreads and margins as credit growth far outpaces growth in expenses.
  2. Against its historical leverage of 14x, its currently operating at 9x, which gives it a significant ability to sweat its equity, along with an ability to grow its spread as the drag of excess deposits reduces.
  3. Conservative management with a long underwriting track record, especially when the new age BNPL fintechs are on their way to spectacularly blowing up (hopefully not assigning my PAN to a random person).
  4. Valuation comfort at 1.6x book, 27% lower than 2.1x times it has traded on its historical average.

Risks

1. One cant have a great price without great uncertainty. SMEs, which form bulk of CUBs borrowers were impacted to an extent on account of Covid lockdowns, and its BS risk is the highest in the last 10 years –
Particulars 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
GNPA 173 293 336 512 682 857 977 1,413 1,893 1,933
% of loans 1% 2% 2% 2% 3% 3% 3% 4% 5% 5%
NNPA 96 197 233 323 408 475 591 778 1,075 742
% of loans 1% 1% 1% 2% 2% 2% 2% 2% 3% 2%
Restructured 235 352 260 289 251 153 131 276 1266 1522
% of loans 2% 2% 1% 1% 1% 1% 0% 1% 4% 4%
Total Risk (NNPA + Restr) 2% 3% 3% 3% 3% 2% 2% 3% 6% 6%

As can be observed, restructured assets have increased significantly. Restructured assets are loans that have got an extended repayment period, reduced interest rate, converting a part of the loan into equity, providing additional financing, or some combination of these measures. While bulk of the restructured are ones, where there has no default, this number has almost doubled the risky loans.

As per the mgmt., an option of restructuring is extended by CUB liberally to make sure that the customers tide through the crisis, and the mgmt. is confident that slippages from restructuring to NPA will be minimal. Quoting its management – “If this general situation continues, the slippages, in fact, I had even discussed in 2008, just around the Lehman crisis, when the restructuring facility was given, we had the highest restructured portfolio in the industry of which restructured portfolio, only 10 percentage slipped in the next 3 or 4 years and all.”

Even if one were to assume that 50% of the restructured accounts turn to NPA, the solvency will not get affected, while the financials will take a hit for a year.

Refer the blog link below for a chart on long term valuations -

Hoping the read was a rewarding one.

18 Likes

Has anyone read the rbi inspection report where is talking about divergence of NPA

Hi Fellow Investors,

I wanted to share some of the behavioral aspects per my observation. These are particularly pronounced when the Corporates move from one stage to the next in their evolution of small to mid to large to mega cap.

CUB has been a small bank aspiring to be a big over the last decade. It takes a lot of pride on its heritage and origins and rightly so. However, there are few accidents that keep happening with the bank.

Cyber crime heist: where the hackers where possibly in Turkey/Bangladesh and HK. The amount of crime was not relevant but that it happened with CUB was. They managed to recover some and the rest was written off. It exposed CUB and its IT prepardness. CUB defended it by saying that it was the first of the private banks on automation and TCS was handling etc but that stuck to them. Subsequently, they had a keep defending the onslaught of Fintech on to their domain etc. So much so now it creates a seperate section on Investor Presentation to show the IT advancement and how it keeps pace with its peers.

Lesson: They did not communicate to the markets the action in good time and subsequently they have to keep doing catch up.

NPA divergence: This happened in 2019 and again in 2022. The defence has been feeble. The communication has been sub par on conference calls. What are they doing to prevent reoccurance - absent. Very soon they will keep defending this in each of the concalls.

Interest subvention refund from GoI: RBI as a regulator is perhapes for the first time asking detailed questions about the subsidy given by the GoI. It is asking for paper work. The conference call comments about the same have again been below par. Why did the lapse happen - no answer; what are you doing to prevent something like this to happen again? no answer? Does it happen in other cases? So here is a case the banks give subvention to the farmer and they have to claim it back from GoI. Why with all the IT infra would you not be able to log the cases correctly in the system? Clearly, it is not an IT enabled bank is the view many investors would take. CUB will keep defending it on concalls going forward.

What I am mentioning about CUB is perhaps what ails a lot of the private sector banks and PSU banks. It is likely that CUB was naive in bringing it out in the open. It is very likely that RBI as a regulator has started asking difficult questions to banks. It that is the case then a lot of carcusses would be found in Q4. GoI given its approach to stem the leakage in the subsidy system would have asked regulators to pull up their socks?

As corporates grow their approach to advising markets need to change to definitive and proactive. Trying to address questions like CUB did in 2010 in 2023 is not going to help the PE.

Disclosure: Holding since 2010 and continue to hold and now adding

4 Likes

Hello, the FY23 results are upon us. It is perhaps the only Bank in the Pvt and Public sector banking universe which showed little or no earnings growth.

But my guess, this is one bank management which speaks straight and clean. It said the following and I infer the below

1. Likely our IT systems do not catch all the details on each client account. Therefore, we are digitizing the process getting in Boston Consulting Group. Will take 2 qtrs to come back up - we know when the consultants come in they do not go easily (similar to carpenters in our house). So FY24 is the year of re-wiring or repiping
  2. Given the conservative bank CUB is, it is likely they have created excess provisions all around
  3. The digital strategy would start delivering results - similar to L&T Finance change that one sees
  4. CUB would start nipping at cross selling in other products to existing clients. Big market but i hope they start taking it seriously. They finally are starting to see some increase in Insurance fee etc

My read is market will recognise the stock much latter in the day.

Disc: Invested

2 Likes

I was invested in CUB two years ago and switched to large banks that were available at a much lower valuations

But looking at it now, it looks like CUB is very oversold, most of the small banks that were sub 1x PB have railed the valuations are not similar to CUB

Given that the loan book is 99% secured and 20%+ of the book is gold loans there is a very low chance of losing book value

I have always believed that CUB is horrible at tech so their explaniation of the RBI divergence and the audit of the agri loan interest sub vention is plausible

But to be i dont see how buying a bank that has good credit quality and is at 1.25 PB can lose money even if they grown much slower than the industry

From what i can tell the main reason for the de-rating is

1. Lower growth projected
  2. Higher provisions as the management wants to increase PCR to 50%+ soon
  3. Potential hit of 200 cr incase the “expected credit loss” of the RBI is implemented
  4. The 200cr divergance

I feel at this price all this is adequately factored in.

I dont think this is a bank to hold for decades, there are excellent rural msme bankers in tamil nadu but that concentration has risks, that along with their lack of of a good deposit franchise, digital banking and consumering banking

But on a shorter term this is definitely way too cheaply priced given that they are achiving 1.5% ROA and 12% ROE even in a bad year
Compared to the best possible bank HDFC that is ~18% RoE at ~3 PB this is a good deal

And at ~7500 cr book value 1000cr profit next year they’ll compound book at 14%

Would love to get counter views to this

Disc: Will start small accumulation soon

6 Likes