Bitcoin/Cryptocurrencies – Digital Gold or Tulip Bulb?

(smehta) #188

Telegram ICO Destined to Break Records with $850 Million Raised in Pre-Sale:

https://oracletimes.com/telegram-ico-destined-to-break-records-with-850-million-raised-in-pre-sale/

Disc: haven’t bought / sold any Cypto.

(phreak) #189

@Sowmay - Gold has no intrinsic value but it has acceptance worldwide and it takes tangible effort to mine. So the key difference is “acceptance”. Gold has gone through centuries of human evolution and it is now perhaps in our genetic code to see value in Gold via natural selection.

The amount of deposits of Gold available on the planet weren’t determined by a human-being like is the case for cryptos and that adds more to its perceived value.

Other metals like Silver, Bronze or Platinum are valued based on their availability and acceptance and there are only handful of precious metals and no new precious metals are going to be discovered for we live on a finite planet. Problem with cryptos is anyone can set one up and every single one of them is lacking when it comes to “acceptance”.

Now coming to Diamond, I am sure you know how the diamond cartel works. If not, I suggest you go through this article - Have you ever tried to sell a Diamond

So the skepticism that equity investors Buffet/Bakshi et al. have towards cryptos is not misplaced, it is coming from decades of experience seeings fads and ponzi schemes come and go.

Now coming to the problem of acceptance for cryptos, I think they will find acceptance if they are backed by a major govt. or bank. That’s the unfortunate irony of it but that’s what it will take to get wider acceptance. I am quite hopeful for blockchain technology though.

(donbox5) #190

Article discussed here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16421383

(Dinesh Sairam) #191

Awesome read.

(Alok Bhola) #193

(Alok Bhola) #194

The most recent crypto-crime trend: the ability to surreptitiously install illicit Monero miners on unsuspecting computers around the world. The worst part? Targets often are unaware that they’ve been hacked.

Cryptomining is both profitable and easy (enough) to mount. As a result, it is rapidly replacing ransomware as the crypto-related cybercrime of choice.

A large number of compromised devices working together is known as a botnet. The Monero mining botnet is extremely large, made up mostly of Microsoft Windows servers spread around the globe.

(Alok Bhola) #195

The whole bull run in bitcoins has ended today after google bans crypto ads, when a weekly trendline was broken after a mightly fight of the bulls and the bears happened for the trendline , and untimately the bulls gave up…
Where ever the prices goes from here, the acceleration we saw in the trendline is gone,and now, we will see a downtrendline acting as a resistance…

Also note the peculiar pattern, that the daily trenline broke on the day of the FB ban news and this weekly trendline on the google news…

We are entering a new era, where i like to believe, the bubble is bursting slowly…

This is the most hillarious way to share this with your friends on what is Bitcoin!!! :joy::joy::joy:

(zygo23554) #198

IMO one of the reasons why the crypto idea took off was because of the underlying common knowledge that tech will eat up other businesses surely and steadily. Over the past 6-7 years, people have come around to believe that eventually technology will disrupt most businesses, make most of the existing models obsolete and that existing tech behemoths will soon start calling the shots in what were non tech domains in the classical sense.

We are seeing signs that the tech rally in the US may finally be breaking, as investors start according higher probability to the scenario that tech companies may not wield an inordinate amount of influence after all, this will impact valuations across a host of other segments which may not be directly connected with tech.

Some of them could be e-commerce and crypto. It will be very tough to prove this linkage fundamentally but intuitively this must make sense. Once the common knowledge hypothesis about the omnipotence and omnipresence of tech firms (essentially the FANG and like stories across the world) starts to weaken, one may see a trickle down effect in related areas as well. I don’t think crypto as an idea would have been accepted if it weren’t for the build up provided by the leading tech companies, crypto as an idea would just have not flown prior to say 2010.

Very interested in seeing how this linkage plays out from here. All we need is a sustained fall in the NASDAQ to test this out

Recently, we conducted an experiment to demonstrate how the funds move internally in MoatFund ecosystem on Ethereum Blockchain based smart contract that governs the full ecosystem of fund managing functionalities. Hope you’ll find it informative.

(Alok Bhola) #200

(Alok Bhola) #201

(prabhatc) #202

@prabhatc It was a really bad PR gag. Not a scam.

(Deepak Venkatesh) #204

Hi

Saw a nice short interview on BloombergQuint of Prof Damodaran. I like the point he made. Currency is a) Store of value b) Medium of exchange, something which we learnt perhaps in standard 9 and have failed to think about with respect to cryptos these days. Cryptos have failed both so far.

Most of us are speculators in cryptos. Some of us have been accidentally lucky and hence we call ourselves investors which as Prof Damodaran says is supposed to be ‘Speculative Investor’.

Regards
Deepak

(Dinesh Sairam) #205

This is where the Professors expressed his views on Cryptos first:

(Alok Bhola) #206

This article has already been shared on this thread on 26-Oct-2017.

(Dinesh Sairam) #207

Oh, weird. When I copied the link, it didn’t show that this was already there in the thread. Or maybe I missed it.

Thank you anyway for pointing out.