Ayan's Portfolio

Hello ValuePickrs,

I am new to this forum and new to stock investing. I would like to share my portfolio and plans in this thread. Inputs welcome.

I have got an initial capital of 50k INR in my AngelOne account, and have invested about 34k INR over the last 2 weeks. I am looking to do a custom SIP, with a monthly budget of around 15k-20 INR. The plan is to buy on days the market is down.

As of today, my portfolio consists of 5 stocks and I’m looking to cap the count around 10. The following is a snapshot of my portfolio:

Portfolio Theme

• A move towards premiumization of the Indian economy - PARKHOTELS, PRICOLLTD
  • The Indian population is going to age in the future, for a multi decade play - NH
  • Riding the digital revolution - TIPSINDLTD
  • A defence tech stock for a safe play - BEL

These stocks have been selected after going through their latest con-calls and investor presentations. Some other stocks on my radar include Kamat Hotels (hospitality) and Kovai Medical Center (healthcare). The healthcare related positions might undergo some reconsideration this week, given the Supreme Court’s notice to implement standardization of charges.

Top up Strategy

I have been logging my XIRR daily and looking to meet 30% over the long run. Daily XIRR logs also help me detecting days/weeks where the market might have over corrected. The rationale here is that I have picked stocks that are going to give me at least 30% returns in the next 12 months, and days where I’m behind the run rate are days where my stocks are undervalued. Of course, I would double check the systematicity of the drawdown on a given day, but the base case is that I would back myself of having chosen quality stocks and dips are opportunities to buy rather than risks of catching knives.

Fellow ValuePickrs, do let me know what you think about the portfolio and strategy. I will update my portfolio as and when I alter positions and share a monthly performance report.

Why the emphasis on daily XIRR calculation, when you have selected companies which have a long future? I am not sure even swing traders check daily XIRR.

And while 30% in a year is not too big of an ask, but one cannot be sure, more so when the journey has just started. In bad times, 10% feels good.

Investing in itself is a long journey, and when such long thematic stories are selected it becomes even longer, so I don’t see the need of checking returns and drawdowns daily. And as each stock is independent, if it falls, the fall can be looked at independently and can be bought if intended.

1 Like

@ChaitanyaC The daily XIRR is from an SIP perspective. I would like to top up on days when the XIRR is below my annual target indicating that there’s a higher probability of an extra gain to be made by topping up on that day versus topping up on another day.

I don’t think, investors t have XIRR like return expectation in mind, at least the one in this forum, they participate in the journey of the company even for more than 10 years, one reason being the possibility of a multibagger.

Returns, targets in general are for traders who have positions which are of short duration, and they are nimble to act in accordance with the market movements, as they have both a target and a stop loss in mind. For investing, market always gives opportunities on some days, indices fall by a good % for various reasons, and these days are opportunities to add more. I buy at 100, price falls the next week by 10%, I think everything is fine with the company, so I add some.

Essentially daily XIRR observance might be the same as looking at the % fall in a stock, but I have never comes across this in the context of investing.

1 Like

hey Ayan,

I believe that you are simply over complicating things for yourself
keep it simple buddy

i personally keep things simple by logging just PnL (both realised and unrealised at every weekend) to track performance

this is how i track one of my portfolios

K represents A/c value over time and K% is the return of the corresponding week

i would recommend you to focus on stock selection both as investor and trader

and to focus on the process

also have notes of your journey every week, (i would also recommend you to check for situational awareness by Pradeep Bonde)

1 Like

Weekly notes is nice, I’ll add this and update. Cheers.

ya, it helped me a lot to develop situational awareness

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 8.35.15 PM

Here’s my updated holding as of today, trimmed a bit of NH due to the regulatory clouds. KAMATHOTEL looks promising as per this con-call highlights here. ZENTEC is a 3 year long bet given their management’s guidance of 50% CAGR between FY26-FY28.

1 Like

After a brutal week in the broader markets, my portfolio has taken a substantial hit. I’m down about 13% (annualizaed at about 80%).

During this correction, I’ve replanned my portfolio allocation theme. Instead of focussing on the number of stocks, I have identified a sectoral mix for my portfolio. Here is how the desired mix would look like:

• Defence: 25%
  • Hospitals: 25%
  • Auto Ancillaries/EV Proxies: 15%
  • Hotels: 8%-10%
  • Media: 10%-12%
  • Metals/Infra Proxy: 15%

FinTech is another sector that I would look to invest in, and would like it to occupy 10%-15% of my portfolio, contributed by 1%-2% of dilution from all the other sectors. However, I am yet to research on valuable growth stocks in this space. The idea is to have about 60% of my portfolio in non-cyclical sectors (Defence, Healthcare, FinTech, Music) from which I can expect a fairly stable growth, while cyclical sectors like Hotels, Auto Ancillary and Metals can give me some higher beta over the next couple of years.

So, coming back to my portfolio, I decided to take a tracking position in JTL Industries. While it’s facing some FUD regarding one of its shareholder’s shares being frozen by ED, I’m quite optimistic on its guidance for the next 2-3 financial years. This, along with probably Hariom Pipes, will be accumulated over the next 3 months. Also, I took a bit of a position in Minda Corp. The fact that the Indian government is looking to attract investments from EV manufacturers comes to me as a tailwind for auto-ancillary companies looking to cater to the EV OEMs. I already hold a substancial position in Pricol, and I will add more positions in Minda as it has looked strong in the recent past.

The following is a snapshot of my portfolio, both stock and sector wise.

2 Likes