Atul Auto Limited

Updates:

• Revenue from operations for AAL for Q4FY17 have declined to Rs. 1041 Mn Vs Rs. 1348 Mn in Q3FY17, marking a decline of 22.8% QoQ. The company was able to sell 8,385 vehicles in Q4FY17 compared to 10,521 vehicles in Q4FY16.

• Despite the 3W industry experiencing a de-growth of 32.8% YoY in FY17 in the export market, Atul Auto has reported robust growth of 49.4% YoY in its export volumes for FY17. As of now, exports account for 5-10% of the total volume for Atul Auto. The company targets this ratio to reach 30-40% in the next 3-5 years.

• After a weak Q4FY17 performance, the company embarked FY18E on a positive note. Atul Auto recorded sales of 2,502 vehicles in April, 2017 marking a growth of 101.4% YoY.

• After the Supreme Court’s judgement to not allow sale of any new BS III vehicle post March 31, 2017, the company was left with an un-sold inventory of 2,500-3,000 BS III grade 3Ws. These 3Ws will be upgraded to match the BS IV norms, post which they can be sold in the market. Cost of upgrading these BS III vehicles will be recovered from the dealers. Hence, there won’t be any impact on the profitability of the company as a result of switching to BS IV.

• AAL is increasing its penetration by expanding its dealership network. It aims to add 30 to 40 new dealers in FY18E (currently ~200 primary dealers and 120 secondary). AAL is currently selling its gasoline 3Ws in only four states (Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana, and Punjab), and is awaiting STA approvals from others. Management is confident of tapping all the states in FY18E.

Source:
http://karvyonline.com/viewdocument.aspx?DocumentID=15799
http://hdfcsec.com/Share-Market-Research/Research-Details/StockReports/3022645

1 Like

Any updates on the story? July sales were up ~6%, but any signs of growth reverting to earlier times of 20%+? Also, has management provided any updates on dealer network? I feel like dealer network growth might power the next phase of growth for this co. It’s market cap is still way smaller than the total opportunity size, so I still feel bullish with such high return ratios…

Views invited.

Saw Atul Auto Electric vehicle in our Society. Guy told me that he is from Amazon and company has purchased few vehicles for delivery.

It runs 80 KM in one charge and takes 5-6 hrs for full charging.

10 Likes

when is Q4 results? couldn’t find this info anywhere…

Atul Auto has been coming out with some steady numbers since FY18. Last year, it got back close to it’s peak historic sales of 43,893 made in FY16 (they sold 42,744 rickshaws in FY18).

This year too, they have been growing consistently and have come out with a great set of Q3FY19 numbers. Even the 9-month results seem to be quite decent. Volumes have remained good too and they’ve already sold 41,331 3Ws in 10 months of FY19.

Remain hopeful :crossed_fingers: that they continue with the momentum they’ve picked up since the last financial year for some more years to come.

Disc: Invested

61e8f549-036b-4506-b69b-11bb738a3497.pdf (1.9 MB)

9dbff8d2-3c3a-4e14-94cf-262e63840599.pdf (302.6 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

Stumbled upon this forgotten company while looking up Greaves Cotton.
Exports seem to be riding the next wave of growth at a rate of 60-80%.
https://www.zeebiz.com/india/news-hot-stock-this-rickshaw-maker-is-next-money-making-share-87071

If you assume exports grew at 60% this year and we hit 50k total sales this year, we get realized domestic growth of ~13%. I guess this growth is due to the acceptance of Petrol autos by the company in FY16. We couldn’t really see this in FY17 due to the impact of DeMo and in FY18 as it was recovering to FY16 numbers.

Now allow me to extrapolate this growth to FY19, FY20, FY21.
As exports become larger component of the sales, the growth rate of the total sales would rise faster.

Projections
2021E 2020E 2019E 2018 2017 2016
Domestic 3W Sales 56876.19056 50332.912 44542.4 39333 36507 42361
Export 3W Sales 13098.24 8186.4 5457.6 3411 2288 1532
Total Sales 69974.43056 58519.312 50000 42744 38795 43893
Realized CAGR 0.1957493718 0.17038624 0.1697548194

Why would exports continue to grow at such fast rates for two more years, until FY21?
Management expects exports to be 30% of total sales in the long run. Out of Bajaj’s 3W 635,000 sales in FY18, 40% are from exports. So, it is a huge market which is untapped for the size of Atul. Even TVS exported 80000 units among their 99000 3W sales. The article I put above suggests that poor countries in Africa are accepting the product with a hug. It is common in Africa to use Bike taxis for transport as the population can’t really afford to buy cars. For such countries, autos are extremely value-additive upgrade at low additional cost. See the concept of bike taxis in Africa in this video at 8:28. You will find many sources online about these bike taxis.

You can also find countries like Ethiopia using Atul Auto as Fire Rescue / Ambulance probably because they find 4W too expensive to handle.
35%20PM
Source: Vayo Group | Automobiles and Generators Manufacturing | Atul Auto, Greaves, Horizon Tyres
This has also caught BBC’s attention in Africa. See below video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxXft0MCeJE
Personally, I believe this wave of growth will last for around four to five years at-least.

Few more good things to the industry:
States are removing permit licenses for autos which are typically very expensive due to corruption. These corruptions should actually cost only 18k INR but bribery can take it to a few lakhs. Removal of these permits can push domestic growth. Maharashtra has removed it. Hopefully, more states will follow.
https://www.financialexpress.com/economy/maharashtra-permit-raj-for-autos-taxis-set-to-end-good-news-for-bajaj-auto/727035/
EPCA recommended to Supreme Court to consider removing the current cap on registration of 3W autorickshaws to cut air pollution in Delhi. Read below article.

This should however be looked at with negatives as well.

1. What is the moat of the company? Is the brand recall strong enough to keep attracting customers, if there is any unforeseen event?
  2. Why are trade receivables increasing faster than sales? If you look at the balance sheet as of FY12, FY13; you’ll find that trade receivables are extremely low, whereas it is increasing now. Is this due to exports? Are trade receivables higher as the working capital cycle can be longer in exports?
  3. How long will the company depend on Greaves Cotton for engines? Can’t we backward integrate and increase our margins? Is the management not competent enough to up-skill their employees on technical know-how related to engines?
  4. The management forecasted that they would achieve 1000 crores revenue by FY16 long back when Ayush had the Q&A session with the management. This suggests management can get over-optimistic during good times?

Disclosures:
No holdings in Atul and Greaves Cotton. Still researching.
Not a SEBI registered analyst.
Not a buy / sell recommendation.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Nice post! Yes, after a testing period of couple of years…the company seems to be getting back on the growth path.

Based on my observation in Lucknow etc, I’m seeing lots of small battery operated rickshaws on road these days. These are cheaper and have almost nil running cost as these are battery operated. These are not big like the autos manufactured by Atul but still these seem to be the new trend. I’ll be concerned if this can cannibalize their existing market?

1 Like

The company already manufactures electric rickshaws.
I hope they should be able to get into electric vehicles too when the market disrupts.
Greaves Cotton suggests they already have an electric powertrain ready.

Also curious, how long can the e-rickshaws go? And how fast? And how many km with each 100% charge? How much time for each 100% charge?

Quoting from below article:

http://www.businessworld.in/article/One-Engine-A-Minute-400-000-Engines-Roughly-We-Touch-About-10-Million-Passengers-And-5-Lakh-Tonnes-Of-Cargo-On-Any-Given-Day/30-11-2018-164773/

The three-wheeler concept vehicle at the Auto Expo 2018 which GCL has created along with MG Auto, what is the update on that?

We were testing the market, we were trying to see because our foray into that was a concept vehicle first of all. And we said anytime you do an electric vehicle you have to think it from the ground up if you use an existing platform with heavy weight and bring in an electric powertrain you will have challenges so this was a total rethinking of the design rethinking of the light-weighting of the material using composites and bringing in the powertrain we had developed and having them. So I think that it proved its point and I think we will continue to evaluate electric powertrain options that we can provide to all our OEM’s customers. As and when the market is ready, either the OEM or the aftermarket through the retrofit kits. We will be ready to give all the powertrain solutions.

Do Rickshaws still have market to grow in India ? I havent travelled in auto from past 4 years. In hyderabad cabs are lot cheaper than auto and comfortable.

In my home town also if call for one auto there are atleast 4 autos ready for you. Hardly there ever been a case that you wont find an auto.
In hyderabad the people who were driving autos bought cars , government is also giving concessions for backward classes to buy cars. if You get second hand auto around 1lkh , you can buy second hand car with extra 50-70k.

Just presenting my views on overall auto.We dont have here Atul auto presence in hyderabad.

Not invested.

One more interesting observation is the rise in their RnD expenses.

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
R&D expenses (lakhs) 322.21 20.21 50.16 11.46 9.15 8.01

We have a crest in R&D in FY16 and the company came up with E-Rickshaws in FY17.
Now we have a bigger crest in FY18 and hopefully we’ll come up with interesting stuff in the next few years.
Lets monitor R&D expenses in FY19 Annual Report as well.

@S.A.B
Good observations. Let’s also note that Uber and Ola is applicable only for urban areas, but not rural areas. The urban auto-walas always have the choice of signing up with these taxi apps in case their regular business is in difficulties. Also, the current wave of growth is driven by highly under-penetrated export markets.

Disclosures:
No holdings in Atul. Still researching.
Not a SEBI registered analyst.
Not a buy / sell recommendation.

2 Likes

@lingalarahul7 - yes, as of now the e-rickshaws may have limited distance range but i think the problem would be getting solved by battery swapping or something else…as i’m seeing more and more of these. However, i agree that the market would be there for heavy loads and longer distances and faster coverage. The current rickshaws are pretty slow. But then the technology is adapting rapidly.

Yes, the R&D expenses have been ramped up. I think somewhere I saw that they have spend 5 Cr or so on this (not confirmed). So If we look at the history of the company, they have evolved over the years and kept innovating or played catch up. Also, once there is a technology, its easier for a company will already existing distribution network to adopt it and introduce a good product quickly.
And yes, they have already been working on e-rickshaw for sometime. So thats a fair point.

3 Likes

6 Months before in Uttaranchal, I did ask to Autowala, he told that Atul Auto product (Company product) was Rs 20-30000 costlier than chinese assembled one with no brand. Market is dominated by chinese assembled ones. I hope , very soon people will realize the importance of quality of company product. Everyone was purchasing assembled one.
In UP villages, I saw people laughing and saying," Tuk Tuk aa rahe hain, bahut Jaldee yah sab three wheeler waale bhindi bachenge. Kaun ek ghanta intezaar karegaa 10 sawaaree puree hone tak. Tuk Tuk men to chaar sawaar we hui aur chal mere bhai…" Means, "Tuk Tuk will replace three wheelers as four passengers are enough to move, no need to wait for 10 passengers.
I was surprised to listen “Tuk Tuk” word for Electric Auto. I listened this word in Bangkok only. I believe once quality concept penetrates among auto drivers, “assembled to company product” demand shift will emerge very fast. Or it might be possible that it is already there. Atul is at ripe time here to grab the opportunity. Sure, Diesel/Petrol operated three wheelers demand will go down very fast as second hand market is already killed, no buyer presentaly. Only hope is goods carriers. For charging, there are chargers which can charge any Auto in one hour, even in 20 minutes. Auto driver told me. But company chargers take many hours, they don’t recommend fast charging.
Disclosure - Invested, no trade in last ten days.

Haven’t tracked this company for some time, but as an ex-shareholder my impression is that auto rickshaws are a commodity business and will always remain so. A rickshaw buyer will always buy the cheapest product in the market, not only because of the affordability factor but because there is no incentive to buy a premium product. Passengers don’t pay more for a better rickshaw. The migration to e-rickshaws is further accelerating commoditization, as can be seen by the preponderance of unorganized sector in the business. Meanwhile for regular (ICE) autos, manufacturing costs will rise as emission and safety norms tighten. Anything that Atul Auto does, Bajaj and Piaggio can also do. So how does Atul Auto position itself? I think the key to success in this business is distribution – a deep and effective distribution network. Not sure how strong Atul Auto is on this compared to competition.

5 Likes

These are the dealer details I could get in the ARs.

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
Primary Dealers 200 200 200 200 150
Secondary Dealers 130 120 120 120 100
Total Dealers 330 320 320 320 0 250

They have been almost constant since 2015. Why aren’t they increasing?

2 Likes

Atul Auto is showing good traction in terms of uptick in sales:

MoM 15% growth and YoY ~17% growth. Clocked ~4,600 sales last month.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves in EV space and whether it is able to gain the market share. The supply chain will potentially be disrupted with advent of EV and biggies might loose some of the competitive advantage. Will be good opportunity for Atul Auto to scale up.

2 Likes

My note on the company, feel free to add or provide counter views if I have missed anything.

Summary: Focused, Niche, Adaptive, Debt Free, Owner Operated, Ethical, Clean Financials, 25%+ ROE and ROCE, Excellent Capital Allocation, Reasonable Valuation, Upcoming Capex

Business Model:

>> Atul Auto is a 3W manufacturer of auto rickshaws, pick-up vans and chassis of passenger vehicles based in Gujarat. It offers range of diesel, gasoline, CNG, LPG and electrical vehicles in passenger and cargo segments. The company was started in 1986

>> Product Portfolio consists of wide range of models; they procure engines from Greaves Cotton, majorly batteries from Exide and tyres from MRF as well as CEAT. It has demonstrated building of customized model to suit local requirement which is difficult to do for bigger players

Competitive advantages:

Excellent Dealer Network in focused markets

Company has been able to establish 300+ dealers across India and has overseas presence as well; currently it has 15+ regional offices and 2 training centers; its dealership, sales, service, and spare parts network comprises over 600 touch points across the globe

Relatively low cost player and hence able to gain market share from big players:

>> Market share: Cargo - 17%; Passenger - 4%; Overall - 6% (Competitors: Bajaj - ~58%; M&M - ~9%; Piaggio - ~24%); Atul Auto has been able to eat into market share in niche markets due to strong focus, customer service, knowledge of markets and distribution relationships

>> Despite Atul is competing with giant players, it has been able to maintain its operating cost thanks to cheap local labour and lesser transportation costs to local markets; It enjoys ~10-12% operating margins and ~7-10% Net profit margin

Focus in 3W and deep understanding of markets:

>> It is much focused player on 3W and has been able to increase its turnover. It is currently No. 1 player in Gujarat with ~35-40% sales contribution

Owner operated company:

>> Jayanti Bhai Chandra and his son Niraj Chandra are at the forefront of the managing the company; Mr. Jayanti Bhai is gem of person - humble, frugal, conservative and does lot of charity in local community; He has been awarded as "Gujarat Ratna" twice in recent years by CM of Gujarat; Niraj on the other end is technocrat and has deep understanding of the industry

Interesting points about the company:

>> Capacity Utilization: It has current capacity of producing 60,000 vehicles/year and operating at ~70% capacity utilization levels

>> Exports: It supplies vehicles to 12+ export markets; Primary focus in African and Latin American markets. They have been receiving repeat orders from most of these markets

>> Steady Compounder: Company has been able to compound at 42% profit CAGR in last 10 years with 25%+ ROE and 30%+ ROCE. Growth had been challenge in last few years though

>> Capital Allocation: Has been debt free since last 5+ years and has been able to do incremental capex from internal accruals

>> Clean financial statements: It has clean balance sheet with zero debt; Generates healthy cash flows; Pays 30%+ in tax; Profits are getting converted broadly to operating cash flows; Pays dividends

>> Small but Agile: Company has historically demonstrated good adoption to new technology and has comfortably transitioned to BIS regulations, gasoline, LPG, CNG and now with electrical vehicles despite being very small company

>> Credible Shareholding: 52.7% with promoters; Aditya Birla, HDFC, Ashmore, Sundaram MFs with ~17%; Vijay Kedia with ~1% (Director in company); Retail ~15-20%

Key triggers:

>> New Capex in Ahmedabad: Atul Auto is in process to set-up new plant in Ahmedabad which will produce 60,000 units/annum at a cost of ~150 crores (mainly funded by internal accruals). This will double their capacity (current capacity of 60,000 units/annum). This is expected to commence in FY20 and utilization levels will take 1-2 years

>> As scale will increase, the operating leverage will kick-in and their bargaining power with suppliers and distributors will rise further

>> Electrical Vehicles: It announced the incorporation of its wholly-owned subsidiary, Atul Green Auto Pvt Ltd., with an objective of exploring opportunities in providing e-mobility and generating clean sources of energy, requiring minor additional capex

>> With emergence of Electrical Vehicles, it will give level playing field to Atul Auto to some extent and that can enable them to gain more market share in the space

Risks:

>> Geographical concentration of customers

>> Cyclicity of CV vehicles segment

>> Exposure to raw material price volatility

>> High competitive intensity; Dumping from China

>> Any damage to plants or delay in plant capacity utilization can adversely impact the company

>> Overall market-wide de-rating of mid and small caps can affect returns in short term

Disclosure: Have small tracking position

16 Likes

Nice analysis. Have you checked managerial remuneration, related parties transactions, contingent liability and thier revenue recognition policy?

Yes, they have financing group entity where they have provided guarantee which implies this is contingent liability. Management remuneration is in-line with statutory guidelines.

Dear Vivek,

Thanks for sharing an insightful analysis. To add to the risks I would like to highlight the following:

1. As per the data from screener the cumulative CFO from 2007-13 = 106 cr while cumulative pat for the same period = 60 cr

2. But from the year 2014 until 2018 cCFO = 160 while cPAT = 201 cr which is a deficit of 41 cr

3. The decline is cCFO from 2014 may be attributed to increase in receivables which were 7 cr in 2013 jumped to 13 cr in 2014 and in 2018 the number is at 78 cr.

4. Receivables as a % of sales jumped from 3% in 2014 to 14% in 2018. So what has happened from 2014 onwards that is triggering this change in receivables

Though I am not an expert at analysing financial statements so please correct me if I am wrong.

Disclaimer: Not invested
Atul_Auto.xlsx (11.1 KB)

1 Like