APL Apollo Tubes

Conference call updates:

1. Growth in volumes due to recovery in economy. Growth is uniform across geographies. East doing better out of the lot.

2. Branding - Focus on branding is now paying off. We want to own this category. We will go for massive branding campaign this year.

3. Hollow sections and GP market share crossed 26%.

4. Expect ebitda/ton to go to 3600-3700rs/ton. Increase to be driven by ramping up of DFT, increasing contribution of GP pipes and setting up of cold rolling mill.

5. Expect minimum 20% volume growth(being conservative).

6. Steel prices - Due to govt. imposition of MIP dont expect steel prices to fall from here. Due to slowdown in auto and expected increase in capacity in HR coils, dont expect prices to go up also.

7. Shankara- acquisition to be done by June. Volumes will reflect from Q2. Expect 60% utilization in first year(100000 tons).

8. Tricoat - Promoter will acquire 51% stake currently. Expect 100000 tons of volume here.

9. Was focused more on volume last year, will focus more on cash flows, Roce this year.

10. Working capital improved by 10 days. Targeting to improve further from 28 to 24 days.
    Disclosure - Invested

6 Likes

I had also listened to the concall of APL Apollo. Some of the key points of the call:

• Interest cost higher this quarter and year. As % of sales interest cost remained stable.
• Net debt is 810 crore as on March 31, 2019.
• Marked growth across sector, across products. Significant improvement in environment. Significant growth in DFT. Lot of efforts made by the company. 38% growth we were able to achieve. Accelerate the journey. Spend lot of money in branding. We want to own the category.
• Continue 20% growth in volume. Focus on debtors, inventory – all this things are looked into. Branding tie up – looking for tie up with celebrity. 2 leading products – Hollow products and GP – market share crossed 26% in domestic markets. For years to come don’t expect competitors to do much.
• Volume front – 20% volume growth? Close to it and reaching our guidance. Hope to exceed in years to come.
• Election results impact on us? On 23rd we will get the results. If current government comes to power again, we will do well.
• Capacity – quite a bit of capacity addition, capex plan for this year? Trying to consolidate now. Acquiring new unit of Shankara, 3 million tonnes we have Apollo Tricoat – total capacity is 2.4 million tonnes. In FY19 – 200 crore all the capex were done including maintenance capex. 50 crore infused by promoters. Don’t think we have further requirement for capex. After 2 – 3 quarters, we will take a call on capex in FY21 or FY22. Want to improve RoE, RoCE, free cash flow and cash flow from operations now.
• Steel prices going ahead? How much EBITDA/tonne we are planning? Last year we have done operational EBITDA of 450 crore. 3350 was EBITDA/tonne. With lot of value addition, we plant to achieve EBITDA/Tonne of 3600 – 3700 this year. All these steps will helps us growing it. RM cost per tonne was 47,000 per tonne. Going ahead what do you think will be RM cost for FY20? Current inventory at price of 40,000 per tonne. If price goes down by 500 USD per tonne. Iron ore prices are increased, coke prices are high, don’t think prices will go down. Also, prices will also not increase as lot of capacities are coming up for HR coil. In addition, auto demand is slowing down. Not sure of any sharp move in the prices of steel. Very careful about steel prices as we were badly hit in Q3FY19.
• Capacity which is coming from DFT? Currently, 8 lines of DFT. These give us capacity of 6 lakh tonnes. Last year we did 4.46 lakh tonne. Capacity utilisation to increased to 80 – 85% going forward.
• 450 crore adjusted EBITDA is after adding 50 crore inventory loss.
• Two shifts taking place for improvement in EBITDA: 1. GP pipes – volumes going up day by day. 2. Most of the increase in volume will come from DFT now. Also, setting of HR coil mill will help in reducing costs. Overall, the prices should also improve due to branding exercise. 25 – 30 crore spending on branding next year. Cash flows should also improve going ahead. We will require 1.5 lakh tonne of inventory.
• Shankara nos to be reflected in our company? From Q2FY19, it should start reflecting. 60% utilisation to be target utilisation for it.
• Shankara will contribute 90,000 – 1,00,000 tonnes in first year. For tricoat we are expecting 1,00,000 to 1,20,000 tonnes volume this year. 20% volume a conservative number. We don’t want to compromise on margins. Doing 1.5 million tonnes this year organically and 0.1 million tonne from Shankara. We will increase our market share from 18%.
• GI we are struggling with volumes, reasons for the same? We are in four type business – black tube, galvanized segment, hollow tube, GI and GP pipes. With branding activity, we should be able to do well in GI pipes. Other player like Surya, Tata have better recall. We don’t want to compromise on margins this year. Focus on RoCE, cash flows. This year we are not worrying about volumes. Focus on improving margins this year.
• Working capital improvement – sustainable or not? Should improve working capital this year.
• Current maturity of long term debt is 125 crore.
• Jump in other expenses? Freight component increased this quarter.
• Demand shifting from steel pipes on PVC? PVC is more for plumbing purpose. Hollow section, black pipes and GI pipes, PVC cannot replace them. Shifting from wood and cement to steel which is also helping it. Demand for hollow section is higher than steel pipes. Even furniture is shifting towards hollow section. Wood and cement to pipe shift is significant for us.
• APL’s current stake in Tricoat. Increase in stake? Right now we have 50.62% stake. This month shares will be transferred to Shree Lakshmi Steel Udyog.
• Sharp jump in employee expenses. Reasons for it? Always employee benefit cost increase is 10 – 12%, volume increase also happening and since we are gearing organisation for handling 2.4 million tonnes, we are hiring new people, doing backward integration also we are adding new employees and building brand as well. This is our asset and it will continue to remain our asset.
• Other building material companies struggling in the quarter. What has led to higher growth for us? Focus on consumer segment, all geographies doing well, almost uniform growth across south, north, west and even east. GP and sections doing well. Due to DFT, we are able to give them supply as per their requirements. Just recently we got an order from L&T for a specific size for airport or steel plant. Earlier these size of section used to be imported and took 3 – 4 months. Now we are giving it within 3 days. Lot of new requirements coming in. DFT is reaping benefit now. Getting benefits now. Pending order of 15 days for DFT lines for special sizes. Can help in market share and volume growth as well.
• Growth in volume will be over 20% and targeting operational EBITDA of 450 crore in FY19 will atleast be 25% more.
• Time lag for passing price increase to customers? Steel plants announce on 1st for monthly prices and then in next 8 – 10 days we revise our pricing as well.
• Tricoat – balance stake under minority post acquisition of 51% share in the company. 49% stake will be shown as minority stake.
• Capex for FY20 – 200 crore including Shankara facility and excluding Tricoat.
• Net debt – 810 crore as on March 31, 2019.
• Difference between DFT and other hollow section realisation? DFT couple of things – high size sections, all sections which cannot be made through conventional route, lower timelines. Normally realisation is higher by 1000 per tonne. EBITDA per tonne for larger size are much higher but for smaller sizes is around 1000 per tonne. Realisation difference is 1000 per tonne.
• Barrier to entry in this business? Wouldn’t steel mills themselves do it? Tata Steel was the first manufacturer of steel pipes. Currently, their capacity is 1/3rd our sales. Globally, it has been observed that steel plants are not good in steel pipe making. It has a lot to do with marketing, distribution, brands etc. Steel plants do business in 1000 of tonnes while steel pipes are sold in meters of 10/15 tonnes. Creating distribution network which is so deep that it is difficult to break. We have 600 distributors and dealers across all the cities, villages, districts etc. Also, having plant location across the geography helps. We have plant across 6 different locations. Working with 1100 SKUs. Steel plant will find it difficult to do that.
• Inventory holding? We work around 30 – 40 days of inventory. Plant to reduce below 30 days of inventory.
• Inventory loss part of business? Steel prices going up by 1 – 2% on monthly basis, inventory risk is not much. With branding, pricing power improved. We will be able to withhold prices with changes in raw material prices.
• Good days will come again. Much brighter days are ahead of us. Big movement against usage of wood. Our volume growth, EBITDA growth will continue with new product introduction.
(Disclosure: Invested)

8 Likes

Hi,
I have one question is this Jal Shakti mission of Modi Govt 2.0 going to benefit APL ? If yes then how much ?

1 Like

Finolex industries is good for Jal Shakti mission

1 Like

APL Apollo Tubes’s sales volumes grew 29% YoY to 389 kt in Q1FY20. The growth was led by strong demand in the Hollow Sections segment (+31% YoY to 219 kt) and Pre-Galvanized Tubes (+33% YoY to 89 kt). Also, its high margin Pre-Gal tubes grew strongly in June quarter- so margins should be decent in this quarter (EBITDA/t of over Rs3300/-). It is interesting to note that while most companies are struggling, APL expects its sales volumes to grow at a CAGR of 20% over FY20-21.

Disc: Invested

2 Likes

Steady Q1 2020 results (link). Sales/profit grew by 23% and 11% respectively

Disc: Invested

1 Like

Here’s how I am thinking about this business after Q1 results -

For Q1 HRC prices fell by almost 10% in June, so the PAT growth needs to be seen in the context of the inventory losses that have been taken due to fall in prices
From July end onward parts of Kerala and Karnataka have seen heavy flooding, Kerala is a key market for the company hence Q2 results will see an impact again this year. Current market reaction maybe driven more by this than by Q1 results, mkts are as always forward looking
Volume growth for FY20 and FY21 may well be 25%+ since the Shankara Pipes unit not only adds capacity but also gives 200K MT+ annual committed volumes
EBITDA per tonne of 3,300 range is pretty much baseline for me, anything beyond I will be pleasantly surprised
No other large player has yet shown the willingness to expand big and challenge the APL Apollo juggernaut. Even if someone does do a large 30% capacity expansion, they will still only add 200K capacity, they have to run at a breakneck pace to catch up

The ERW pipes market size is approx 40,000 Cr and growing at 7-8%, unorganized players after the liquidity squeeze are finding it difficult to operate plants, forget adding capacity. Hence the entire capacity addition to capture this 7-8% annual growth must come from large players - most of whom are not even serious about the ERW pipes business

I only see APL Apollo’s market position getting stronger and not weaker. Industry will continue to have challenges but anything that hurts APL will only hurt the competition much more. APL appears to have a free run to get to 30% of the industry capacity soon, at some point of time the larger base will mean the incremental growth will slow down but that day is not yet close

Disclosure: Invested for self and customers

13 Likes

Interesting interview
When promoter discuss advantages of Apollo Tricoat technology
Next question asked
If it is such a good proposition why not merger whole company ?
(I think promoter don’t have clear answer)

Thanks
Ashit

2 Likes

How does one verify that there are no issues with the sales numbers. Sometimes growth is too good to believe and it has happened in the past.

Please check promotors history they expanded their wealth by demerging business even the business has synergy. Promotors are good at marketing not only for products of their companies but also their stocks for rerating!!!

Frankly speaking I am exploring this company yet not invested , my personal philosophy is to buy and hold for long periods and for that promoter quality is my first absolute filter

In above interview he is taking about Apollo Tricoat having some exclusive technology only two companies having it in the World

On exploring it’s details EBITDA margin of 12% and Net margin of 7% tells me it’s not something special he is talking about

Even exploring there product usage don’t get any special feeling

This are my personal thoughts and may be wrong
I don’t invest unless I am comfortable with promoter words and actions

Thanks
Ashit

4 Likes

The promotors are clever to project that they are doing something rocket science but being an engineer I know it is simple technology without moat. Anyone can duplicate it and the end products can be made by anyone

3 Likes

Agree.

How do you see the MD Ashok Gupta dual hatting in both APL and Shalimar Paints where he is clearly in an operational role despite his saying otherwise.

In the latest call there were pointed questions on this again and his response was that he is on board of Shalimar but not does not hold any executive capacity. Also no plans of moving out of APL Apollo role anytime soon (within the next 2 years or so)

The only way we can get more clarity is to figure out how much time he is actually spending time with Shalimar Paints, if he is getting involved in ops it will clearly mean there is no smoke without fire

2 Likes

Check out the Shalimar Paint con calls on Research Bytes. He clearly says that he works 2 days a week for Shalimar and is in charge of strategy and making sure they operate at international benchmarks. He took almost all the questions in the call while the CEO was mostly silent. He has also given media interviews on Shalimar.

I think he is more of an adviser at APL, Sanjay Gupta calls the shots. His departure if at all it happens may just cause a short term blip.

What I didn’t like was his blatant lie that he is in a non executive role at Shalimar.

4 Likes

tricoat is a patented technology of atkore international- a U.S. based company.so not anyone can do it. secondly, if APL installs one line of tricoat , atkore can not supply tech to any other indian company for 5 years. so for next 10 years atleast, no one else in india is going to produce it.
also Rs. 6000/tonne EBITDA (Q1) is far more than any other steel pipe company.No one is even remotely close.

1 Like

Can you please quote the source of this information. Thanks in advance

Interesting piece FROM CO. PRESENTATION -
Usage in electrical conduit: TriCoat tubes are being used for electrical conduiting
purpose in developed countries. In certain countries like USA , Canada and Australia it is
mandatory to use steel tubes for a exposed conduiting in all high rise buildings. So Apollo
TriCoat believes there is a huge market and scope for developing this segment in India as well.

2 Likes

Is is not Apollo Tricoat separately listed ?
What would be the impact on APL Apollo and if we like to bet on tricoat, is it not better to invest in that company? The thread for that company is below.

Would appreciate views ? I think Apollo Tricoat trades at steep valuation at this moment as per screener.

Video showing the vision and hunger of the management to stay on the top and be a dominant player in the segment. Although I would advise to take the content of this video with pinch of a salt since I learned this gentleman have also done pvt corporate seminars for Apollo Tubes. So possibly some connect to either the company or promoter.

2 Likes