Yes bank

Hi guys,
I see lot of confusion among investors on yesbank lockin being released. Some people think it might go to 10 which is a joke to me.

Though I can be horribly wrong but I have tried to quantify it on my twitter account.
https://twitter.com/RaoManhar/status/1634508728769855489

Few main points out of It.

1. SBI and LIC will not sell. LIC has maintained its shareholding in Q1,Q2,Q3 so why sell now. SBI has saved yesb and yesb has indirect support from GOI so SBI selling does not make sense. PK has also given hint in concall that SBI wont sell

2. IDFC had an opportunity to sell 10cr shares 35% of it holding why it did not sell till now. I would assume max 30% selling from them on locked in shares. 6cr

3. Same applies with HDFC,BB . They did not sell 25% of unlocked shareholding

4. I fell BB can sell a good chunk let say 50%. 15cr and HDFC,AXIS,KOTAK,ICICI will hold. We have to compare invested amount to the investment portfolio of respective banks. In short they are peanuts for them.

can be wrong here as ICICI,KOTAK,AXIS have all their shares locked and how they would react is something which cannot be predicted but PK was confident and indicating that institutions wont sell

1. Total 134cr locked in. Let us assume 70% of them sell which is very high considering most of them would be at 50% loss. 94cr

2. The entire selling is going to be under 150cr(conservative). In my view max 2rs fall with these volumes

3. Between 30 jan and 23 feb. 19 working days they did 11 investor meet. Mid boggling

This is a very important point to look at. Both institutional buyer came at 14.2 avg price these levels are a no brainer to most of the instructions.

1. They have a book value of 14. This grows at a faster rate than profit because of 9000cr of Deferred Tax asset. For a Private bank with 1% NNPA PB of 1 is criminal

2. One more very important point

FTSE Russell: ACC, Kotak Bank among 10 joining FTSE Russell - The Economic Times

Thankyou

6 Likes

@Aarti maam you actually ended up being right but I am not a 100% wrong I started posting here when the price was 12 to 13 and it went up to 25. Yes but I believed it can go to 35 to 50 which as on date looks tough

I have recently developed the understanding that how important is cost to income and the provisioning for SR was also something new for me. I think next year is also going to be tough form them and they wont be able to generate high incremental revenue.

I would like to exit this stock now. Learnt a lot, Accepted my mistake and very important did not loose money.

I think even in IDFC case most of the people realized C&I is high and excited despite in the beginning expecting multi fold returns.

In SIB case Q3 was a result was a surprise for most of them as SR related provisioning was there.

So if this can happen with experienced investors then I am pretty new and fell for it.

My thesis was they can grow book value at a faster rate than earnings which is actually happening but what I could not see was there has to be some earnings to get that 1.7 or 2PB which as of now I donā€™t see

Atleast for next 3yrs I donā€™t see a turn around and as the get close to turning around they will have to dilute further. But as many say it is going to go bankrupt or is a fraud I donā€™t agree with that the price as per me should be in this range going forward as well

3 Likes

have you found the reason for such high cost to income ratio?

Market is a great place to learnā€¦ you have at least not lost money in the procesā€¦
Yes bank can never make money as their cost of deposits are very highā€¦ and on that a huge employee costā€¦ if you see banks which have given good returns have reduced cost through increasing CASA balances and lowering of deposit costs. and at same time use technology to keep employee costs low. Yes bank is not doing either of theseā€¦ they will not be able to alsoā€¦ Deposit rates have to be higher so that people put money in yes bank. people will not make yes bank their primary account so CASA will never pick up and lasts employee costs are high which every one can seeā€¦ and to top it all provisions for bad loans still high.
trust lost in a bank can never be recoveredā€¦ it has happened many times in the pastā€¦

Disclosure - sold at huge lossesā€¦ have written it off and moved on.

8 Likes

Congrats, all of your stocks were high growing ones. Yes bank eventually turned dud (which you eventually sold in 2014 itself anyway), but the rest were miltibaggers!!
Eventually, we did see yes bank and indusind had similar kind of problems. Run by family, giving aggresive loans (and to promoter friends).
What were your learnings in the banking sector?

Have a few questions for valuepickr community at large?
How do you view the current environment of aggresive unsecured loans to retail? Do we have some case studies of some countries where it succeeded or backfired?
How do you view the effort by yes bank to increase casa? Will it work?
Yes bank has one of the best brand recognition? But does this actually help considering its a bit in negative side.

If I may, hereā€™s an alternative macro perspective with a bit of scuttlebutt:

1. Yes bank has one of the best tech architecture across Indian banking system that I know of. They started to build APIs at least 5 years ago and they were working with multiple small fintechs at that time . Their investor presentation says that they process 40% of all digital payments in India !

2. The brand recall is good and even though the bank has gone through issues, there was never a run on the bank. I, eg , continue to run one of my primary account with them

3. I own one of their cards and have seen that their fraud management practices are better than any I have seen

4. Their CASA has not done well - donā€™t know the underlying reasons but I donā€™t think that over a period this is not a solvable issue . ( most of you may recall, yes bank was the first bank ever to give 7% interest on savings deposits)

5. SBI parentage is actually good because sbi itself has done a bit of transformation (someone one canā€™t say about any other psu bank including bank of Baroda )

6. Their Npa issue is behind them and with retail franchise now 40%+, the NIMs and ROA should improve

7. And I guess they have done well on SME banking as well

I would tend to think that over a 3-5 year period, there could be a significant growth possibility.

Disclosure- invested and biased

2 Likes

At current price of 17 mkt cap is 50,000 cr.

• Ignoring asset quality and reverse calculating- just based on Earnings and multiple at 20x PE (HDFC bank is 20x) the PAT should be 2,500 cr. Is this even possible!!
  • if you go for lower multiple of 15 or 10x then it become even more impossible
  • everybody know asset quality is not great. Yes bank pricing is higher so riskier borrowers or those not getting loan elsewhere will borrow from yes bank
  • just fyi UPI payments and credit cards are loss making

After all of this if by some miracle goes to 24 again you are making 40% return. Analysts have given target of 2,200 to HDFC bank which is 30% from current prices.

Which one will you chose?

3 Likes

Well P/B is 1.3 which was sitting at 2.5 3 years ago when the book had a lot more mess in it. And HDFCā€™s P/B is nearly 4. And if Iā€™m not mistaken , it was HDFC whose CIO had to lose his job due to app issueā€¦. So, I guess thereā€™s some story here.

Again, itā€™s not a recommendation and everyone has their own risk appetite

1 Like

Yes bank has posted decent results:

Summary:
Profit: 10.26% YoY rise amounting to 342.5 crore (314.3 crore in Q1FY23)
GNPA: Significantly dropped from 13.4% a year ago to 2% (Because of bad loan transfer to JC Flower?)
NIM: 2.5% up by 10% YoY
Deposits: 13.5% increase YoY
CASA ratio: Dropped to 29.4 from 30.8 (only negative metric)

2 Likes

So they now have about 1400 CR in PAT on an annualised basis - thatā€™s closer to 2500 Cr than it was last quarter. Point being everyone knows the bank is rising from the ashes. Which is why there is an opportunity for those with patience may end up being rewarded with asymmetrical returns. The market always rewards outlook into the future. And for reasons stated earlier, IT framework, user experience and even the shift into retail lending may all add up to a stronger outlook. The HDFC online user experience is far short of Yes platform. Disclosure - Invested for long.

2 Likes

Yes bank investors are the most optimistic lot in the marketā€¦ hoping for something not achievable.
ICICI direct has given target of 14. After many more who have given targets of 14/13/11/10.

3 Likes

Do not listen to brokerages as they have their own axe to grind. Agreed that Yes Bank has huge equity of 2900 Cr shares. Remember that the bank has very big branch network PAN India ā€¦ If bank manages to perform better, then it can be a good turnaround story. Only time will tell; and patience will be rewarded.

1 Like

ICICI Direct provides most mediocre advice

8a6a9e10-0ff8-4a99-b8a4-54056e80a53f.pdf (bseindia.com)

Q2 FY24 : Result and Presentation

again terrible results !! its not going to improveā€¦ business model failure. once stress in retail portfolio happens - which will happen to many retail lenders- yes bank can go back into lossesā€¦ high risk low return stock.

3 Likes

can anyone explain why Yes Bank is increasing amidst the news of HDFC acquiring stake in it ?
What is the dynamics at play here?

The media folks donā€™t think or analyse before ā€˜creatingā€™ news from regulatory filings.

HDFC Bank now is the promoter of HDFC AMC and HDFC Life.

Whenever an institutional investor such as life insurance companies and mutual funds want to increase holding in a bank, they have to prematurely apply to the RBI for approval.

This is exactly that - when HDFC Life or AMC want to acquire more stake in Yes Bank or IndusInd Bank - essentially as the owner of these institutional investors HDFC Bank (parent) must apply for RBI permission.

Remember when there was hurrah around LIC approval to own upto 10% of HDFC Bank. LIC buying the dip, bla bla bla. LIC doubling stake in HDFC Bankā€¦

Focus on what matters folks - lots of noise around everywhere.

4 Likes

I think this could be another reason for the recent rally

Clarification from Yes bank

ā€œYes Bank LeRemitt in pact to enable smooth cross border transactions for MSMEsā€.

"In this regard, the Bank would like to clarify that the news regarding the Bankā€™s tie-up with
LeRemitt, a fintech start-up is in the normal course of business of the Bank to enable Digital
solutioning for the MSME customers of the Bank. This arrangement is currently at a nascent
stage and has absolutely no material impact on the business volumes or revenues of the Bank. "

Caveat upfront: Have Never been interested and never looked at the bank before.

But is it now worth looking into.

My query pertains to issue of bad loans and the past shady dealings. Is it cleaned up completely Post the JC Flower Bad Loans deal.

Or are there some cockroaches still roaming underneath.

The nudge for looking into this with a fresh eye is the news item today on moneycontrol today.

Race for Yes Bank: Japanā€™s MUFG, SMBC weigh majority stake buyout in lender (msn.com)

This is further to HDFC MF or HDFC Life getting approval though the HDFC Bank to invest upto 9.5% of Yes Bank. Yes Bank shares jump 23% in two days after RBI allows HDFC Bank to pick 9.5% stake - The Economic Times (indiatimes.com)

We should have confirmation if they indeed bought stake in next few months.

While I donā€™t trust the financials, it does look tempting at PB < 2.0.

Questions to be asked here first and foremost are.

1. Are the books clean now
  2. Are growth drivers in place
  3. Management SWOT.

Would love feedback here from others.