Yes bank

Had speculated in this post back in Apr when price was around 240 levels and FPI holdings were 40% that if they were to reduce it by 8%, retail holdings will go up to 18-20% in June from 11% levels back then (March) and price could follow DHFL trajectory. Looks like SHP is out for June and Retail is at 18% and price is 1/3rd of where it was then. We must simply follow history and precedent and sometimes following incentives of fellow institutional shareholders can give us adequate clues about whatā€™s going to happen.

FPI holdings are still at 34%. If these guys canā€™t be convinced/reassured by the management, there could be more pain here. I hope retail doesnā€™t continue paying the price.

11 Likes
3 Likes

Maangement is having expertise in playing with words

Last quarter watchlist was 10000 cr.

Out of the above watchlist current slippage is around Rs 2500 Cr.

Remaining slippage is other than from watchlist.

Current watchlist is still 10000 Cr. (After already classifying 2500 Cr as NPA)

6000 Cr exposure to two large names were not there in previous watchlist.(why it was not there???).

NPA are outside watchlist also. ( why these were not in watchlist).

Raising capital for growth at these valuationsā€¦I think the Bank should focus on consolidation rather than growthā€¦Aiming growth of 20% when the GDP is growing at 6% is very riskyā€¦

Management clarification raises more questions rather than resolving doubtsā€¦

Tracking just for knowledgeā€¦

4 Likes
  1. 6000 Cr exposures are NCDs and not loans. These are rated based on the rating of the credit rating agencies and are not based on the subjective assessment of the bank. These were investement grade last quarter and hence were not a part of the watchlist as the watchlist is drawn from the below investment grade book. However, the credit cost for these NCDs were still captured as MTM provisioning for them flew through the P&L

2. Regarding the new watchlist, the bank has not discussed on this at all and is referring to the last watchlist in all the interviews it has given.

7 Likes

The management should have put these NCD under watchlist in the last quarter. Why did the management waited till its rating down grade. Is RATING the sole criterion for assessment of its loan/NCD.
Rana Kapoor has destroyed the Bank by making lending on the basis of personal relationship.

1 Like

So, there are few companies which management thought they can default so they put that in to watchlist and released a consolidated number. This are just the amount number loaned directly to those companies. But the actual exposure could be way bigger than that watchlist. I feel this makes the watchlist useless until they also release the total exposure to same companies which is not included in the watchlist (like investments).

What exactly do you mean?

Kapoor said his daughtersā€™ firm had unsecured borrowings and he offered his own shares as security. ā€œI have pledged own shares in the holding company for my daughtersā€™ entrepreneurial efforts,ā€ Kapoor said.

1 Like

One small question.

Generally when a bank invokes pleged shares as in below, does it mean the account has become NPA as at some place I have seen total loan given is around Rs 1300 odd crores odd and based on current share value amount obtained is just Rs 50 odd crores.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/lens-on-mack-star-dealings-evergreening-allegation-against-hdil-and-yes-bank/articleshow/70490836.cms

ā€œForeign investor ā€˜Ocean Deity Investment Holdingsā€™ in the Indian property market has alleged in a complaint to Reserve Bank of India that Yes Bank and realty group HDIL have moved funds to evergreen loans.ā€

Hereā€™s my take on what has gone wrong (again) with Yes Bank since the new CEO took over

1. Change in accounting policy for corporate banking fees. Corporate banking fees were the bread and butter of Yes Bankā€™s profits. New CEO has changed the accounting policy of recognizing fee income from upfront recognition to recognition over term of the loan. As per the bank, new fee income will be about 50% of the past fee income. In FY 19, corporate banking fees were close to 2000 Cr. This will drop to 1000 Cr going by the bankā€™s guidance. This loss of 1000 Cr will flow straight to operating profit of the bank and will result in a drop of 25-30% in operating profit. In Q1 FY 20, corporate banking fees were only 62Cr compared to 682 Cr in Q1 FY 18 so in reality corporate banking fees are down 90%. Some of it will recover but it may take time given that bank is reducing focus on corporate banking and increasing focus on retail banking.

2. Worsening credit quality - Bankā€™s provisions have gone up substantially as NPAā€™s have gone up and provision coverage ratio continues to be low. Some of this trouble is external to the bank (e.g. crisis with Dewan and credit crunch in the NBFCs etc) but it is hitting the bank anyway. One silver lining is that there is no widespread weakness in bankā€™s asset book and the weakness comes from few concentrated exposures so any resolution in one or more of these accounts will have a material impact on asset quality. Investorā€™s are not taking any chances though, they are pricing the worst having lost faith in the bank.
Some of these asset quality issues come from aggressive growth that bank pursued in last 5-6 years which in turn was to boost the corporate banking fee income. So with the change in accounting norms, bank will be less aggressive in growing the corporate book and consequently will avoid further damage to loan book. However, any benefit will be seen only after few years, not immediately. While other banks have seen NPAs rise and then top out, Yes Bankā€™s NPAs have only recently started to rise but this is not due to cycle in the economy. Yes should see a quicker resolution than other banks.

3. Focus on building liabilities franchisee - Yes Bank has always been an asset franchisee while most other banks (even the worst PSU banks) are a liabilities franchisee. Yes is now falling in line with what other banks have been able to do (i.e. build a liabilities franchisee) but it is not something it can do overnight. At best it will take 2-3 years before we see the effect of that (in terms of lower cost of funds) in the income statement. In the interim, operating costs will go up to fund this initiative. Reality is itā€™s CASA ratio dropped in Q1 so itsā€™s liability franchisee is actually weakening but I expect this to be temporary.

4. Short term outlook has become cloudy - With all this, near term (next 4 to 6 quarters) outlook is cloudy and thatā€™s exactly what makes markets nervous. No wonder institutional ownership has gone down from 65% to 50%. When large institutions unload shares to retail investors who in turn are struggling to raise liquidity, we can see the impact on price.

5. Long term investors are taking a wait and watch approach - When a company goes though such a fundamental change in its strategy, long term investors take a wait and watch approach to see how this strategy is playing out and some clarity on earnings power emerges. some investors have decided to get out and watch from the sidelines which has pushed the price lower.

6. Lower growth outlook - Yes was one of the fastest growth medium size bank in the country. With focus shifting from corporate to retail and increased reliance on internal sources of funds to grow, growth will be hard to come by in the next few quarters and recovery will only be gradual.

To be fair, bankā€™s book value is still intact at 114 rs and itā€™s capital adequacy ratio is still adequate. Bank is looking to raise capital to fund growth but market is thinking that it is raising capital so that it can take another big write down. We wonā€™t know that for sure but when sentiments turn bad, every decision is interpreted in a way that justify the current price. Media is always trying to justify current stock price with instant analysis but the real issue could be different (in both directions) so itā€™s better to ignore all the chatter in the market and focus on the long term.

Most of these issue are priced in the stock already so this post is more like trying to rationalize the market reaction. Market could very well be overreacting on the downside but we will know that in about couple of years. I have not sold a single share of Yes Bank and donā€™t intend to sell as I do believe bank will recover from this mess sooner or later. I donā€™t intend to buy anymore though until I see some of these issues bottom out and bankā€™s earning power become visible while there are so many other bargains available in the market.

In a growing economy like India, a bank will always be valuable. Yes Bank is no so badly run that it will collapse due to internal weakness or that itā€™s fundaments will always be poor. Its retail banking franchisee is intact and in fact bank is planning to grow it further, corporate banking is strong and actually quiet profitable and the bank is large enough to attract professional talent to grow the bank profitably over the coming years. Canā€™t say the same thing about some of the smaller private and PSU banks that are selling at similar valuation.

What are some of the triggers that can cause the market to rerate this stock?

1. A capital raise at decent valuations from ordinary investors and not vulture investors. This will give needed confidence to the market that banks problems are close to bottom. At 0.8 times book value, a capital raise will be hugely dilutive.
  2. Corporate banking fees come back to new normal which should be around 300 Cr per quarter.
  3. Final resolution on some of the large NPAs.
  4. A rating upgrade

I have no idea if or when any of these events will happen but I will be looking out for them. Anyone with willingness to hold the stock for 3 to 5 years and ability to ignore noise will see decent returns.

57 Likes

The number of likes to your post itself shows how many retailers are trapped in this (including yours truly). I was trying to again do a comparative exercise yesterday comparing YB with IDFCB. Assuming in worst case YB book value falls to 60Rs. They will still have 1000+ branches and 30% CASA. This is a number where IDFCB wants to reach in next 5 years. IDFCB is trading at 1 times book. So should YB not trade at about 2 times its worst case ABV of 60? I may be completely wrong in this line of thinking. Comments welcome.

3 Likes

Even look at RBL, for roughly same market cap you are getting much larger bank(3x branches thank RBL) and a very good team. RBL didnā€™t do any reckless lending like yes but going ahead if Ravneet walks the talk returns are here to be made.

But first things first, capital Infusion - so that market fears of bigger hole are discarded. Yes bank can decide quantum(3kcr or 6kcr) but some dilution is definitely coming to calm rating agencies and the market.

I think book value wonā€™t go downā€¦ but PPOPs would be used towards provisioning. So next 4-6qtrs, no addition to the book value, other than thru capital infusion.
In addition, YB would remain sensitive to below listed accounts(has 4k cr+ exposure to each one, 12kcr to ADAG):
Essel
DHFL
ADAG
LODHA
INDIA BULLS

Yes has no exposure to Ibulls anymore, itā€™s paid in full last quarter.

3 Likes

QIP confirmed, official announcement is out.

https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/d3f88695-ca8e-43ca-bbf5-d804a1c145a8.pdf

According to the Q1 FY 2019-2020 investor presentation put out by the management of Yes Bank, corporate advances and investments that are rated BB or below is approximately Rs. 29,000 crores.

As per certain news articles, the BB and below book includes the following exposures.

ADAG (Rs. 13,000 crores)
Essel Group (Rs. 3,300 crores)
DHFL (Rs. 3,700 crores)
IL&FS (Rs. 2,600)

Sources:

The CEO, Mr. Ravneet Gill, has stated that he expects full recoveries from ADAG,
Essel, and DHFL. Furthermore, Mr. Gill has stated that the recoveries are imminent.

Sources:

Q1 FY 2019-2020 Conference Call Transcript

Assuming full recoveries happen in ADAG, Essel, and DHFL, totalling Rs. 20,000 crores, the BB and below book reduces to Rs. 9,000. It seems to me that this would be a significant positive for the stock.

It appears that the bank has successfully done a QIP for USD 275 million.
Respectable entities such as HDFC Mutual Fund, Aditya Birla Mutual Fund, and
UKā€™s Ashmore Investment Management have participated in the QIP. This I think is
a significant positive. My hope is that within the next two quarters, the recoveries mentioned above do indeed happen, and then the bank can do a bigger capital raise at much higher valuation.

Source:

@yogesh_s

Yogesh bhai, may I ask that you share your thoughts on the remarks made above? Thank you.

Disclosure: Invested.

3 Likes