Which ace investors portfolio moved the most in 2015?

I am posting approximate numbers based on my estimation, will update it once i get more accurate data:
Rakesh Jhunjhunwala = -15%
Radhakrishnan Damani = 15%
Ramesh Damani = ?
Daljeet Kholi = ?
Ashish Kacholia = +70%
Dolly Khanna = +85%
Besant Maheshwari = ?
Prof. Sanjay Bakshi = +3%(from Vijayk)
Porinju Veliyath = +51%(from altaf)
Vijay Kedia = ?
Nirmal Bang = ?

Disclosure: This exercise if for learning whom to follow under what market conditions, I have no personal or professional relationship with any of them, I request to keep Ayush, Donald or Hitesh out of this list to remain within community guidelines.

1 Like

What is the purpose of this exercise ? Instead try to post the investing style of these gurus

1 Like

equity intelligence PMS (porinju) @ 51.1%

i always used to wonder on 2 points

1. should we not look at acutal realised gains rather than paper value of pf because the very next day the pf can fall big time if it holds a reddys or an amtech ?
  2. what is ideal time frame to compare - i prefer april 1st to 31st march to synchronize with tax period

To Learn whom to follow on what kind of market.
Aggressive investors who keep 20-30 cash in hand generally perform well in bear market.
Some investors make their portfolio more concentrated when the bear market arrives.
So it essentially tells what investing style suits what market conditions.

Yes me too, if you have Jan to Dec for now even that would suffice. getting exact data is not easy as they mostly don’t disclose their full portfolio, estimates are made based on companies where they have 1% plus holdings.

I read community guidelines, Flagger of this post can you point out what exactly does this question violate ?

PMS got 71.69% in last fiscal, by march I guess this fiscal year’s number too will be closer to that.

When you talk of PMS result, do you adjust for STCG that will have to be paid by end-user? Also, do these returns include all expenses like brokerage fees, management fees, carry etc? I think from an investor point of view, one should look at final returns in the hands of the investor in these schemes. If you just want to follow their picks, that’s another matter though.

Exactly, here the exercise is we want to follow their picks, and understand under what market conditions whose style of picks works best.
Having said that in such case only their picks in 2015 would add value to our analysis than their entire portfolio’s returns; because it’s a known fact that fund managers managing billions or a billionaire investor may not have the flexibility to move in and out of a position at will like a small investor.For example Rakesh jhunjhunwala has his big part of asset locked in companies like Titan, Crisil, Lupin which he cannot quickly liquidate at will and invest them into microcaps, for his portfolio to give good returns those large cap companies’ stocks should perform well, same holds for fund managers managing billions.

1 Like

Prof Sanjay Bakshi got near 10%returns I think… From where did you get figure of 105%. His fund value and returns you can check online.

correction Valuequest’s Moat Fund was 108% for financial year 2015. If he holds the same portfolio it come to around 38% for calendar year 2015

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/VQINMTA:MP

Th above link shows less than 4% returns as on 30 Nov 2015

I guess you should do some due diligence before posting such figures on a public forum.

Thanks

Thanks for link.
I said if he hold the same stocks it will be like 38%, feel free to correct me if you have more authentic data, the numbers I gave was based on a portfolio of professor that I track.
I just dived deep into the portfolio of ValueQuest I am tracking which may not be up to date, here is last 6 months:
Thomas Cook = -12%
Relaxo = -3%
Kitex = -32%
Ashiana = -31%
Eicher motor = -15%
Vaibhab global = -3%
poddar developer = - 15%
symphony = +15%
ambika cotton = -10%
Nesco = +18%
Except Nesco and symphony all other stocks corrected in last 6 months
but its not because professor did not have a diversified portfolio but because most of his stocks performed very well previous year so they had to correct at some time.

What is the point in knowing what return Rakesh Jhunjhunwala generated? Also, their is no credible data source. No one knows the percentage allocations of each stock in a person’s portfolio.

If one needs to track ace investors portfolios, please track their picks and understand their rationale for picking those.

5 Likes