VST Industries: Puff full of power?

depends on the kind of case against them. Generally, tax authorities issue frivolous SCNs which are settled at the Tribunal level or SC/HC. Size of the Company does not matter. have seen demands of ridiculous amounts against even smaller companies or even partnership firms. also,

1. Entry tax - major litigation faced by many companies. pending before SC. industry wide issue.
  2. Excise and Service tax case decided in favour of the company at tribunal level. department has appealed to supreme court. no major worries in terms of taxation it seems.

P.S. - invested recently. planning to add more.

1 Like

Hi,

I had written to the investor relations email of VST asking the following questions:

1. The Stock exchange Filing did not mention any reason for the Resignation of the MD . Can you provide more details.

2. What is the Plan of the Board of Directors in identifying a successor to Mr. Lahiri

3. In the interim period what are the arrangements to run the company smoothly and who is in charge ?

4. By what time does the BOD expect to finalise a successor.

Their answer was as below:

The details for tendering resignation of Mr. Devraj Lahiri to pursue opportunities outside the Company have been mentioned in the filing to the Stock Exchanges.

It was also informed that he will be relieved from the services of the Company as per the provisions of the Articles.

The Board of Directors in their wisdom are working to find his successor and will keep the shareholders informed promptly of such developments.

Regards

Phani Mangipudi

Disc: invested recently after pandemic. Not added after md resignation

4 Likes

The latest AR shows the following shareholding among directors and KMPs,

This has been the case for sometime now, but should this be taken as a negative?

No. There’s no reason to treat this negative

95 percent market is of ITC

nobody takes Charms etc today

I believe that is not true. ITC is constantly lossing volume market share in Cigarette for last 5 years if my understanding is correct. Please check recent Godfrey Phillip presentation which suggest that they have gained market share while VST industries has also gained market share in my understanding. I would request if you can put source for 95% market share for ITC, it would assist to work further.

8 Likes

Not a smoker so I don’t know if the company can make up for this in Q2… I mean will there be pent up demand ?

Not really. If a person did not smoke for three months (assuming that is true in the first place), that person will not consume 3 months worth in next month or two. However, the recovery, whenever that happens, will be rapid and the growth will achieve the same pre-covid trajectory (i.e. pent up demand)… in my opinion this is a case of what they call “L-shaped” recovery…a permanent loss in GDP…unless of course the prices are raised significantly

3 Likes

Hi, do you have any insights on the reasoning behind why the MD resigned? It is very difficult to find any management interviews on VST. They seem like good capital allocators but I can not find any sources except for annual reports.

1 Like

My apology but I too have no clue about resignation of MD. However, since the company is broadly managed by BAT management support, I personally do not see MD resignation as major threat. This is my view and it may be wrong.

Discl: My view may be biased due to my investment. Among Top 10 holding for me. Not a SEBI registered Analyst, Not recommending investment.

5 Likes

Did anyone attend the AGM ?? Please share the details about what was discussed …

Excellent Results.
Revenues down only 4%, Seems too good to be true considering the strict lockdown.
PBT for Q121 at 102cr vs 117cr in Q120.

e4ad535f-2e74-43c3-b9c6-d58f4a9d8150.pdf (105.7 KB)

3 Likes

is there any way we can get the volume figures… the P&L suggests below from the look of it …

1. Q4 FY 20 VS Q1 FY21 -----Combination of 38.32 % decrease in cost of material consumed and 19.12% Excise duty indicates that the volume sold has been hit by good % margin

Please let me know if my thought is wrong

Disc :: i have not investment in VST

ITC (cr) Q1FY21 QoQ Q4FY20 YoY Q1FY20
Sales 4330 5750 6141
- Excise 704 778 378
Net Sale 3626 Down 26.4% 4927 Down 37% 5763
PBT 2535 Down 30.5% 3650 Down 38.8% 4145
VST (cr) Q1FY21 QoQ Q4FY20 YoY Q1FY20
Sales 315 349.7 329
- Excise 69 58.16 24.56
Net Sale 246 Down 15.6% 291.5 Down 19.3% 305
PBT 102.2 Up 8.5% 94.13 Down 13% 117.5

Note: The above data set compares only the tobacco related businesses of both companies.

2 Likes

Interesting, any idea why the PBT is significantly better in case of ITC both QoQ and YoY although revenues are lower significantly? Thanks

I could attend part of the AGM, it was mentioned by one of the investors that cigarettes during lockdown time were “black marketed” and shopkeepers are selling at premium upto Rs 5 which is now at 1. So even in weak economic condition price is not a constraint for sin products. So taxes and prices will have negligible impact on demand. This is what was observed when wine shops reopened after a long period of time. I would say market size is limited but demand is constant for VST. Also company confirmed now stock levels are adequate at all levels so there is no supply disruption going forward

I was comparing this co’s recent results with ITC. There’s a good difference in Gross Margins for both the companies. Has anyone else researched abt this and can explain, if possible?

Charms and Charminar have gone missing from North India, but have been replaced by Total. Another fact is that rs. to rs. VST brands are a bit cheaper than ITC.

1 Like