Vivek Gautam Portfolio

I stand corrected and indeed it is ~3X returns however with Rs 627 worth dividends since 2014. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Agree its very decent gains for someone who already must have done 10x till 2014 if holding from earlier 10 years…The good part in such companies is that to preserve your already 10x, you need not look for other opportunities. So a 10x in 10 years is preserved by another 3x in next 7 years (not even counting the dividends). I was just intrigued when someone mentioned 15x since 2014 and that sounded too much…
Disc: Missed TCS bus in 2005-2010 and then again in 2014-15 and then again in 2020 :slight_smile: Compensated it by investing in high quality midcap IT in 2020. Not a buy/sell recommendation.

2 Likes

Bought some Jubilant Ingrevia & Globus spirit both cheap valn wise n capex on.good promoters n tailwinds in sector WITH 2-3 YEAR POV.

Globus spirit EPS expected to be 80-100 range in fy 22/23 so valn cheap.capex on in Bengal & jharkhand. leader in IMIL segment in Rajasthan. doing well in Hya WB also.Ajay Swarup a St Stephaian n key man here responsible for growth over last 2 decades. His son Shekhar also seems a competent person.

PE seems cheap vs Radico WHICH IS AT 40 though brands of GSL in iMFL not that known & big.
MIT a FII fund managed by Kenneth Andrade has bought more stake in Globus today.His other fund Old bridge had bought the stake from templeton.

10 Likes

Cartrade any one applied and tracking ? Listing on 20 Aug.

good report by icici direct publicly available.

The company is led by Vinay Vinod Sanghi (MD & CEO, 30 years of
automotive experience) and has marquee institutional shareholders such as
Highdell Investment (affiliate of Warburg Pincus), MacRitchie Investments
(affiliate of Temasek), JP Morgan and March Capital invested from pre ipo n long time.

Good anchor list comprising of quality long term investors like Capital Inc.Malabar,SOCGEN,FIDELITY,GS,MIRAE ,NOMURA, N MANY MORE.

Vies invited & any scuttlebutt ? Key concern is high valuations .

4 Likes

Hi Vivek

I’ve applied and got the allotment. Looking at the PE and financials, it definitely is over-valued at Issue Price.

What do you think about it from a long-term POV?

The most positive part of this issue is that it does have a PE, means it is profitable, unlike Zomato. I also got allotment, and will add more on the listing day. I am optimistic about the future of this sector, which is larger than the new vehicle market & its the only way to play this sub-sector. Also it is praiseworthy that Cartrade Tech is the only one among its peers which is profitable.

7 Likes

yes, it is profitable compared to peers. But the concern is
a) Less market share compared to peers
b) Growth of market share in peer companies such as cars24 is much higher compared to CarTradeTech.

1 Like

Vivekji, hope you are doing good…happened to see this post from March 2014!
I am sure you must have added many Xs now :slight_smile: Would be great to know how your portfolio has fared since 2014 in terms of CAGR returns…

Also, do you keep adding new capital or now rotate existing capital as you had mentioned back in 2014 that portfolio size even then was on higher side…

Many thanks, always pleasure to learn from your immense experience :pray:

God has been kind & so has been the Indian stock mkt.

If one remains an optimist remains fully invested through volatility, in quality cos with some moat , ethical promoter who execute well & the sector which has good tailwinds leading to good CAGR & ROCE returns gets made automatically.

Working on one temperament helps. Patience is the single most important quality as is giving time to ones investment. .

The X of 2012 is now 37 X but base was very low in 2012 tks to the stupid mistakes I did as mentioned in mine investment journey PPT given in this thread…

Allocation too plays a key role as does betting on quality small mid caps already mentioned in detail in the thread earlier.

Not much fresh money added but timely switching from an under performing sector to a performing sector when tailwinds recede helps a lot in improving performance.

22 Likes

Good points.

Today the news has come of fresh investment in Cars24 at 2 Billion dollar valuation which makes the valuation of Cartrade cheaper at 1 Billion approximately.

2 Likes

wow that’s 37x in 9 years, almost 50% CAGR…amazing!!
In a decade you have transformed to one of the most matured and successful investor I have come across :pray:

Cannot agree more!

I think this is a key to grow existing capital without much fresh money. Something I need to learn and practice but feel I am not good at rotating and taking action on sector tailwinds…but have seen in this forum that all seniors and successful investors have followed this approach rather than simply remaining invested and holding their original (even though top quality) picks!

Thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

Script listed at a discount.

Disc. Bought more at 1500/-

5 Likes
1 Like

HLE Glascoat crosses 4000 .

Patince pays specially for stocks where promoter quality is stelllar & tailwinds remains strong for the sector.

Malabar buying was a good signal one of the smartest stock picker.

Together with promoter,Malabar, Ashish kacholia,VS Iyer, Rikheen Dalal and 2 unknown entities holding big chunk from Swiss glass days overseas pearl & Shashikant Purshottam das patel ex plethico owner holds big chunk leaving less then 10% float.

TKS a lot @ankitgupta as well.

Disclosure- Invested since last few years

7 Likes

Hi Vivek, have you started buying financials again? If yes, are you buying Bandhan Bank as well?

1 Like

Quality finance stocks will always be strong.

plz go thru this video

9 Likes

Hi Vivek, Saurabh M’s investing logic is to buy “quality” companies at “any” price. He doesn’t distinguish between banks and non banks.

Since the banking sector was facing huge headwinds in March 20, you had sold a lot of the so called “quality” financials as well and you moved those funds to chemicals, etc. Did you buy back those financial stocks you had sold? If yes, when?

1 Like

HLE Glascoat touches a high of 7390 from first buy of 189 in March 19. Huge wealth creation tks to this wonderful forum and Ankit Gupta superb notes of AGM in particular.

Buy quality cos with good MOS & then do nothing adage at times create huge wealth

27 Likes

Another interesting IPO Nykaa opening tomorrow.

Nykaa - SE Intimation Letter - Anchor Allocation vFF.pdf (523.0 KB)
Nykaa-IPO-Note-Motilal-Oswal APPLY.pdf (1.3 MB)

I am liking the IPO due to Good management & business quality with great CAGR of 80-90% in last 5 years, improving margins & ROCE in Fy21,good scuttlebutt from a large no of satisfied users specially ladies,good international brands exclusively available only on Nykaa, Competitive prices vs competition, guarntee & trust on quality purity & genuine products,Big presence in Tier 3-4 cities,huge opp size, superb response from high quality anchors.

Concerns remains on valuations though.

Views invited specially scuttlebutt from users of Nykaa from VPers & their relatives.

3 Likes