Vivek Gautam Portfolio

DSP Healthcare is doing quite good among the Pharma MFs along with Mirae Pharma MF…I had put lump sum when the pharma index was around 8.8 to 9K levels…So mostly 70% of my pharma investment is taken care of…other 30% I am adding slowly and I will do so in the period of the 3-4 months

3 Likes

Any scuttlebutt by anyone on Beta drugs? Any information much appreciated.
Thanks a whole lot in advance.
Here’s something relevant - https://www.crisil.com/mnt/winshare/Ratings/RatingList/RatingDocs/Beta%20Drugs%20Limited-ad202001310954.pdf
Interview with the company’s director(Rahul Batra):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqC-wof_MNc

@Jaisish_Mohanty How has been your experience with holding substantial % of PF in Pharma n chemical?

Which are the new names added?

Wonderful performance for PF heavy in pharma chemical names for me and you n others investors too.

Timely shift from financials to the pharma sector & continuing with chemical worked wonders.

1 Like

Hi Vivek,

It has been heavily rewarding in the last few weeks…I have put money in some pharma stocks as a momentum investment which is doing good…also chemicals is back big after few weeks of consolidation…i have trimmed financials…banks and nbfc (excluding gold loan companies) is only 7-8% of my PF now…
I have invested in Aarti drugs, alembic pharma, astec life sciences, laurus labs, jb chem and pharma as a part of my pharma momentum…chemicals all major names are onboard…PI has given great returns of late…
My MF PF is now 28% in pharma…and total PF is closing in to 40% in chemicals and pharma…

1 Like

Hi, which MF have you taken for pharma? @Jaisish_Mohanty

No exposure to any MF except Mirae Elss

1 Like

SUPERB CALL.Broken Record here but investing is all about buy cos with ethical promoters who execute well ,have growth mindset plus sectors with tailwinds

Pharma may be having tailwinds for next 2 - 3 years CDMO much longer

1 Like

DSP Healthcare MF i have invested in

Hi Vivek,

How r things going…got excellent returns in aarti drugs, astec and alkyl amines last week…aarti drugs in particular has given me close to 80% returns in last 1 month…waiting for laurus and jb chem for their break out which might happen soon…being overweight on pharma and chemicals working big time now…i think this is the start and best is yet to come…how r things at ur end…

Regards,
Jaisish

1 Like

Same here .PF at ATH as we have may scrips in common.

Whats your view on Jubilant Life N Strides at CMP ? how is the promoter n business quality ? any USP or Moat?

How long will the tailwinds in Pharma last specially in APIs n generic exports?

I had strides in my PF earlier in 2019 but exited when pharma was not going up much…Jubilant dont have much idea…I think companies like Laurus and syngene can outperform…aarti industries also showing lots of traction in price…I think going forward we shud expect 30% cagr on these two themes, though some stocks might outperform…valuation wise both sectors are now at par or slightly overvalued…so earnings have to be real good…companies posting 3-4 times profit growth…but this will become the base for next yrs earnings calculations and same might not work…contract research…CRAMS and CDMOs as u said can benefit a lot as the type of knowledge and technology edge required for it, India is having them…also every one is looking for China plus one manufacturing model and India can fit that bill after the capacity expansion in the speciality chemicals which provide the ingredients for the API manufacturers

2 Likes

What an unprecedented time we had since March 20 we had.

Mine PF which was X in 2012 is now ATH at 13.72 X. This after major writeoffs in stupid mistakes specially in SME segment and converting paper losses into actual losses in March 20 .

Key learnings

1. Stay cool in worst of times. Revisit your check list and dont take any foolish action of selling if the same is intact.

2. Besides promoter quality evaluating sector with tailwinds v imp. So exiting from most of financials & moving to pharma sector and staying put in chemical and agrochem related sector helped.

3. Financials is a risky bet & putting all eggs of your PF in fin sector is not advisable. At times financials behaves like house of cards. At the same time attention shud be paid to a stock making ATH now even in fin sector and slowly add it back. Consolidation to help select stocks in financials

4. Investing all about temperament. Work on it

5. Best returns come in 4th & 5th year of investing. Paisa quality stocks rakhne se hi banta h provided tailwinds are still strong under high quality promoters with growth mindset & execution. Investing is not difficult just give time to your investments.

6. Converting your laggards into the best performing stocks of your PF helps as allocation also improves which again is most important besides stock selection .

7. I mostly average on upside which helps a lot. Suffered badly when I ignored it & averaged on downside few stocks like Bandhan & Shivalik Bimetal

8. Remembering some basic technical rules like selling a stock when it breaks the 200 DMA or falls 30% from top whatever reason. also helps.

57 Likes

@Vivek_6954 thanks for a detailed learnings from 8 yrs of investing experience. Is it possible if you can tell somethig about your portfolio:

1/ How many stocks you typically hold?
2/ What are your top holdings?
3/ How do you go about investing in sectors. Do you look at sector tailwinds or keep invested in some of existing sector leaders for long term?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the detailed learnings, Vivek. Very very useful. Would it be possible for you to share some learnings about this specific capital allocation decision? I have invested in an SME stock as well, as of right now i do not consider it to be a mistake. Would be interested in learning from your experiences for sure.

Woow…thats some returns…is the 13 times from that base of 2012 and no incremental money or some incremental money is added on the way too

hi @Vivek_6954,
I have been tracking your posts closely and congratulate you on your success in identifying winners ( esp IPOs).
Would love to hear your thought process/strategies post listing. ( as the situation is very dynamic post listing ).
The reason I ask is most ‘good’ IPOs go through heavy over-subscriptions and list with a lot of media hype ( Affle, neogen, SBI cards etc). They have gone on to do well but there is always the temptation to book profits quickly. If things go wrong , there is also the risk on getting stuck with a dud ( eg: Silly monk entertainment).
Would also like to hear your thoughts on route mobile ( if you plan to track it).

2 Likes

Not much incremental money went as all my savings are in equity market only.

Allocation too equally important as stock selection .

Converting your laggards into the best performing stocks of your PF helps as allocation also improves

1 Like

Stock selection whether through primary or secondary route checklist shud be same. Sometimes IPOs are atrociously priced to take advantage of euphoria in secondary market .So one needs to be very choosy. IPOs shud be carefully studied if they are coming from an unique sector being listed for first time like Affle Indiamart etc.

3 Likes

Allocation v imp so no of stocks shud be ideally in range of 10-12.

At stage of wealth creation one can reduce no of stocks lesser also but utmost care shud be taken.

Once PF size increases PF preservation also becomes important so one can increase no of stocks as well.

Generally buying more of ones existing stock helps rather then a completely new stock both from allocation and known devil vs unknown devil POV.

Utmost attention needs to be paid to sector as well and staying put till tailwinds are strong ignoring the price volatility helps.

6 Likes