Varun 2020 portfolio - 2 strategies

Hi everyone

I am planning to buy in few days one or two below listed stocks for long term.

MNC Pharma

1). Sanofi India

2). Merck

3). Novartis India

Out of above I am more bullish on Sanofi india and Merck.

Also

4). Himatsingka seide

5). South Indian Bank

6). Advanta India

I would like to invite all of your to share views on above stocks and give some insight.

Hi Varun

Great that you are thinking long term.

Many times, we like the company but cant make ourselves invest more than a lac or two in it.

While that is understandable and a few cos. can have 1-5% of allocations but the effort to be to consciously get near to our best 10 or stretch it to 15 maybe. whether we get there or not is a different matter, but a conscious effort should be to get there. It is much easier to track.

My PF size is nearly the same as yours btw.

cheers

holdsnear to20 to9% sometimesallocating didn’thave nowI

Concentrated portfolio works only when we have good information and great confidence about the select stocks. However, if information is less or conviction is low or borrowed, it is better to have a diversified portfolio. Idea is to maximize or optimize profits by preserving capital as much as possible.

Anyway, if we have incremental money and existing portfolio doesn’t offer value anymore after asharp run-up, one will need to diversify into some different stock(s).

Good points.

Its probably more about the time that one can devote. If one can devote time in tracking the market and his/her stocks, 10 stocks will yield max. Pick your best 10 (max. 15) stocks based on sector tailwinds, growth, Undervaluation and technicals. One can switch to other stocks where one sees strong upside. But making big bets always helps maximize gains.

This is from the learning from VP and more from my personal experience atleast. I am only 6-7 months into the market. I am up 70% and if I had followed my current strategy,i guessi would be 100% up by now.

Now I somehow prefer to hold cash rather than invest in large no. of companies.

This said, its totally upto the individual. and specially if one does not have enough time to give on a daily basis, one could diversify surely.

asharp

Hi everyone

Happy holi to everyone

over past few weeks did few minor changes to my portfolio so thought of updating it

Completely sold off lovable lingerie and Jyothy labs with handsome profits. Have been over a year now in both these stocks and opportunity somewhere else was better. However Wld like to enter both especially Lovable if I have money and price is right. Also pared 1/3rd qty of Tata Elxsi at 1359 bought at 600 a month back. Rest I will hold for long term.

Bought following stocks in equal qty for long term and wld like to increase stakes if they go down

1). Bajaj Auto - I see this large cap one of the least preferred, sitting on great brands, legacy stock of sorts, impeccable management with history of coming out of crisis, sitting on cash reserves of 8800 crores, export story yet to be unfold, RE 60 can be a potential game changer, Slowly this company is transforming itself into a great Indian MNC - yes near term may look bad but that is why available at <18 PE, downside in this market is limited

2). ITC - Lets not harp on issues and problems - we all know it, lets look at positives, value unlocking will happen for sure- demerger - when it will happen no one knows, mkt cap will split and will be much lesser, potential to grow is humungous, has history of creating brands - the brands, Tourism push, go to a grocery store u see lots and lots of ITC products - yes it does earn lots by Cigarettes - will hold till demerger takes place, will part away with then with cigarettes business and whatever profits I will earn - 25% will go to a cause - that I have decided - downside in this market is limited

3). Sanofi India - needs no introduction, great products, no equity dilution, still relatively cheap, grappling with issues of lately which is holding the stock, downside limited, good product lineup for future, aggressive expansion on cards especially in rural india, downside limited in this market

Invite readers views on the same

Have a look at HDFC BANK , kajaria and cera as well …

Hi Varun,

What is your morale behind buying tv18 broadcast? Is it the management change? I do not hold it currently but i am digging it. Only thing keeping me away is high PE.

Hello everyone,

Am new to the forum. Planning to rejig / add to my portfolio. Have shortlisted the following for holding for next 4-5 years (till 2020). Though most of these seem to be expensive on TTM performance, I believe, have good potential for long terms. Request views from experienced members.

1 MCX 8%
2 SKS Microfinance 8%
3 Gateway Distriparks 10%
4 Natco Pharma 12%
5 Greenply Industries 12%
6 Lovable Lingerie 8%
7 MRF 5%
8 Kajaria Ceramics 7%
9 Polymedicure 8%
10 Suven Lifesciences 10%
11 Kitex Garments 7%
12 Wimplast 7%

Hi Everyone

Rejinoldo - HDFC bank, Cera and Kajaria are excellent business but too expensive for me to buy - I already hold Yes and HSIL - if nay other would dwell into SIB if there is surplus money

…pd… - Not many options to play media broadcast industry - I have been invested in TV18 for now 3 yrs and without any returns - may be 20% or so so far in 3 yrs - Reliance management came into picture later. The bouquet of channels this company has only tells you in hind side that sooner or later this company will do well which they have already started posting decent profits in last few quarters. The problem is equity size and may be now the management. But its an interesting space to be in and some money invested here may be worth couple of yrs down the line. In the current mid cap carnage of sorts I have picked up TV today as well at avg price of 210. Would increase allocation in both on further dips. PE does not matter in case of TV18 as it is coming out of trouble times.

Gaurav - I wld request you to do a sector analysis first - No banking, No FMCG, No auto ancillaries, No Media, No IT, No agrochemicals seems to be too much to me - these are bell weather sectors and must have in a good portfolio of 12-15 stocks. Your stock pick names seems to be inspired what is current hot in the market - don’t get me wrong but on one look it seem to be - except for Lovable

Hi

Portfolio Update

Increased my allocation to ITC, Bajaj Auto, Rallis India, Glaxo consumer

Switch over to L&T fin from M&M fin

Added TV Today, Lumax Autoand delta corp as new picks

Would upload exact texture of portfolio by april end

Agree that, Bajaj Auto and ITC are good stocks for any long term portfolio.
At current valuations, when Bajaj Auto was < 2000 and ITC was at 315, it makes them attractive for a diversified portfolio. FMCG business of ITC would grow going forward in next 4-5 years.
Bajaj Auto being a debt free company and would be launching new models of Pulsar and Discover, should help to recover their sales.

Recently, BATA has also corrected by 20-25% and could be another good candidate, for a long term portfolio, if one can accommodate it.

Hi Varun,

Any particular reason for adding L&T Fin. Is it a play on the possibility of L&T Fin getting a Banking license.

Thanks,

Hi

After a long hiatus I am posting once again my portfolio for
everyone’s review and comments. Have been in good spaces to get almost
150% unrealized gains on overall portfolio worth exceeding 40 lacs over
last 3.5 yrs.

From the last time I posted my portfolio there are few minor changes

a. Applied in Syngene IPO as I had Biocon - sold out at 350 completely as needed to raise cash to invest in better stories
b. Entered ITC and Bajaj Auto some time back as kind of nibbling in and then decided to get out. Reasons are I couldn’t see myself invested in a company making cigarettes and causing cancer. Whats the point of earning money like this - My mother died of cancer. I switched over to Atul Auto from bajaj after a steep correction
c. Entered Supreme Industries, Care ratings and Axis bank as part of my core Portfolio which now constitutes 14 stocks - No stock exit from core portfolio
d. Yes I have 27 stocks overall in my 3 categories of portfolio but I guess its ok - as core portfolio provides stability and long term compounding and other two portfolios are more of multibagger types

My current Portfolios are as follows

Core Portfolio - forms 65-70% of overall holdings

1). Yes bank
2). Persistent systems
3). Alembic Pharma
4). DHFL
5). United spirits
6). Bayer crop Science
7). Lupin
8). Biocon
9). Marico
10). Rallis India
11). Glaxo Consumer
12). Axis Bank - New Addition
13). Supreme Industries - New Addition
14). Care Ratings - New Addition

Sub Core Portfolio

1). Agrotech
2). Vguard
3). HSIL
4).Tata Elxsi
5). Kaveri seeds
6). NRB Bearings
7). Atul Auto - New Addition
8). Aarti Drugs - New Addition
9). L&T Finance

Emerging Business Portflio as Wildcards - Less than 10% of my portfolio

1. Delta Corp
  2. Lumax Auto
  3. Gati
  4. KPIT
1 Like

HI @varvp14
Your stock selection is very good can you tell how do you decide the price levels. I am novice and your comments might help me a lot. Thanks in advance

@ Sunny - I do intrinsic value / DCF calculation with the data of at least last 7-10 yrs finding from annual reports and if I find stock price at a discount of 30-50% below intrinsic value I buy it. It is little time consuming but then I follow it for most of my stocks. Yes before doing it I do a basic fundamental analysis and only after passing out the checklist of fundamentals I go ahead.

Deleted - as per mod request

Facing corrections -
I am now in the markets for last 3.5 yrs and faced severe corrections at least twice / thrice. It has made me a much better investor as every time when the downturn is over I come out stronger from it when the markets turns. I take this as an opportunity to churn the portfolio a little by adding up high conviction stocks where you were always waiting as market was rising and rising and at the same time getting out of certain stocks if the story is not as compelling as the new additions. Mostly I feel I end up adding the stocks rather than selling.

In the first market correction I ended up buying Vguard, NRB Bearings, Bayer crop Science and Marico while getting out of Tata Global beverages and ICICI bank which have worked out very well and till now I hold all these stocks.
In the second market correction I bought Tata Elxsi, Agro tech foods, United Spirits.
In the ongoing correction I am adding Supreme Industries, Axis bank, Care Ratings and Aarti Drugs. Got out of Syngene.

Mentally if one adjusts to see correction as an opportunity to make one’s portfolio top notch then it really works wonder. It also teaches us to have some cash reserves always ready no matter what.

Persistent Systems - An innovation led Company is 25 yrs old run and managed by Anand Deshpande - a smart and a visionary leader. Its engaged in SMAC and enterprise digital transformation basically riding on value migration in IT industry. IT industry and especially the niche area it expertise in is a big scale opportunity. If you go through company 25 yr history you will find that many terms in IT industry like outsourced product development, cloud, analytics , social and mobility are coined by persistent systems much before Gartner did it and now enterprise digital transformation is the term they have come up with. Its ROE, ROCE, Profit margins, Debt free status are all decent over 10 yr period. Regular dividend paying company. Go through CLSA report or company’s website to understand more about it. I bought it at 404 cum bonus means 202 after bonus almost 2.5 yrs back.

Rallis India - Food security is a big theme - Value migration towards hybrid seed business, tata group company and RJ confidence, consistent ROE above 20% even in bad quarters and years, recently launched new varieties of hybrid corn and paddy, acquisition of Metahlix and turning it around, Market leader in many products in pesticides, herbicides etc after Bayer and Syngenta.

1 Like

@varvp14 arun Jain

Your portfolio is insightful and learning experience for people like me. I have calculated intrinsic value for Aarti drugs. as per my calculation, the margin of safety is 10 %. working sheet attached for your and fellow valuepickr’s Intrinsic value calculation Aarti drugs 16 09 2015.xlsx (17.4 KB) comments

Plz share aarti drugs last 10 yrs eps and book value if you have for me to
chk

With Thanks & Best Regards

Varun Jain
Associate Architect
ARCOP
Mob - 09910507431
Off - 01126242050,
Alt email-ID -
Work - vjain@arcop.co.in