Vamsis Portfolio

Having followed Valuepickr silently since 2011 built a small portfolio following Stock Stories, Management Q&A and Threads

My Portfolio (in current value):

PI Industries 34%

Mayur Uniquoters 26%

Astral Poly 20%

Poly Medicure 15%

Dhanuka Agritech 5%

Since I am starting to build my knowledge and looking to increase amounts of allocation along, I strongly feel I do miss some large cap stocks, which would bring some stability (especially when faced with market reversal). Aiming to follow more “Core - Satellite” approach.

I would be comfortable with a 25% growth on year on year basis.

Request views and suggestions from Seniors!

Good portfolio, nice stock selection, provided the %age of stocks as a percent of your net worth is not very high like 10%+ (some folks will say less than 5-7% range).

vamshi

good stock selection.

Regarding large caps providing stability to the portfolio, I wouldnt bank on the typical large caps like reliance l&t etc…

Maybe you can consider steady compounders like hdfc bank, itc, page inds, etc.

hitesh.

The portfolio allocations look aggressive. Better to reduce allocations not by selling these, but by adding some solid large caps.

Better to include the steady compounders like HDFC, HDFC Bank, ITC, PAGE, GRUH, VST, GSK, BOSCH etc are good SIP candidates.

Interesting input thanks Subash! But as I have less than 5% of Net Worth in Equities currently (looking to bring significant portion in the next year or so), would be good to make a note for the future.

@Hitesh and Rudra: Thanks first of all for your quick responses! I have been following Page and VST closely from past few days. Page seems to be overvalued and VST has run-up quite a bit. ITC at 23,5 timesthe FY15 estimated earnings looks like attractive.

If possible, kindly throw some further light on valuations on others

Thanks, Vamsi

A very interesting discussion once again on Valuepickr - ClickHow to fare through in all types of markets? You need saftey nets :slight_smile:

Saftey nets being predominantly Large and Mid Caps in a bear market. As some one who has admired the Valuepickr portfolio and enjoyed rich returns as well as learning’s, has been always wondering - Why are significant ‘Large Caps’ not part of this portfolio and why are they not discussed expect few like PAGE, Gruh and VST?

Great value ValuePickr has offered for part-time investors like me has been the collective knowledge that has been generated to locate undervalued businesses and project appropriate valuations. Why is the not focus on Blue Chips, when they are available at attractive valuations?

Would be great to see some fresh initiations in this space.

Dear Fellow Value pickers,

I have worked on my portfolio for the last 3 months following many discussions here and constitutes the following:

PI Industries 15%

Mayur Uniquoters 14%

Shilpa Medicare 14%

Alembic Pharma 12%

Astral Poly Techink 7%

Repco Home Finance 7%

Poly Medicure 7%

JB Chemicals 6%

Can Fin Homes 5%

ITC LTD 5%

Hawkins 3%

Dhanuka 2%

Kaveri 2%

Symphony 1%

Looking forward to add more of Symphony and Repco on declines. Ajantha as a new addition on declines too. Max of 15 Stocks is the limit I set for portfolio.

Most of the stocks are widely discussed here, hence not coming up with individual reasons. But would be very much open on ur thoughts regarding portfolio allocation.

Dear Fellow Value pickers,

I have worked on my portfolio for the last 3 months following many discussions here and constitutes the following:

PI Industries 15%

Mayur Uniquoters 14%

Shilpa Medicare 14%

Alembic Pharma 12%

Astral Poly Techink 7%

Repco Home Finance 7%

Poly Medicure 7%

JB Chemicals 6%

Can Fin Homes 5%

ITC LTD 5%

Hawkins 3%

Dhanuka 2%

Kaveri 2%

Symphony 1%

Looking forward to add more of Symphony and Repco on declines. Ajantha as a new addition on declines too. Max of 15 Stocks is the limit I set for portfolio.

Most of the stocks are widely discussed here, hence not coming up with individual reasons. But would be very much open on ur thoughts regarding portfolio allocation.

Portfolio seems okay now and more well balanced.

Thanks Hitesh! My learning expedited by following your thread and others. Much more than that my temperament is more matured when i re-read classics like:

“One of the models of spotting winners is to spot stocks at or near to all time highs which on valuations also appear attractive.:))”

“You may be late in joining the party but the party may just have begun and you may not have missed much of the fun”

from you!! The learning journey just began :wink:

1 Like

The only concern right now is almost 50% allocation to Pharma! Would seasoned investors consider this as high risk?

You have just 32% in pharma (Shilpa/Alembic/JB Chem) !!!. 50% kahan see aa gaya :slight_smile:

Actually its 50% of the total portfolio cost in Pharma including (Poly Medicure), which turns out to be 38% of actual portfolio :wink: Ajantha being on my radar to add next!!

Polymedicure is not a pharma company. It is a medical equipment manufacturing company. Shouldnt be clubbed with Pharma.

Don’t thing in terms of sector. Think in terms of correlation between business characteristics + macro for diversification.

To give an example. Let’s consider USFDA issue as macro theme. Now Ajanta will have no issue with USFDA as they dont supply much to US, being a predominant emerging market player.

Alembic on the other hand can get affected by USFDA issue, but the catch here is management pro-activeness wrt to quality. They have quite high quality-to-rnd guy ratio. So, I feel in the long run, hyper-active USFDA might help them (think it as other people will catch USFDA fever, but alembic being immune because of quality focus, so better business for them).

Shilpa is getting positively affected by USFDA, as they are now lone supplier for numbers of oncology apis to many larger players (as others having issues with USFDA).

Aurobindo pharma can get adversely affected by USFDA. (It has got adversely affected in the past).

So, you see, this 4 have different

Regards,

-Subash

;))

@Subhash What do you mean by “They have quite high quality-to-rnd guy ratio.”

@Subash: Yes, Poly is only seen to be in the larger sense.Very interesting thought process though!

@Neerav: I presume he meant “High Quality-to- Right guy Ratio”, by which he means pro-activeness of the management in ensuring high quality standards their products and hence not vulnerable to USFDA raids or standards.

@Neerav, It means, they have more number of quality control employee as a share of total employee, as compared to

their peers.

After being in a dormant state for over a year due to personal and professional reasons, finally woke up. A bit late. Alas its never too late!

Would appreciate your help in restructuring/getting in shape my portfolio! Looking to hear conclusive facts on the stocks in the portfolio

@hitesh2710 @ayushmit @basumallick @ankitgupta If you can have a look and put some light on the churning that is needed. I am already sure what to do with Mayur, Poly Medicure, JB, Torrent and Kitex.

I am on it and working, any pointers would help in getting to speed. :slight_smile:

1 Like