Tool to track what well known Investors are accumulating

We launched a web app CloneFolio which aims to help you clone the portfolio of well-known investors. It fetches the data of recent shareholding pattern and presents all in one place.

For example, here’s the link to Rakesh Jhunjhunwala portfolio.

I have been attentively reading threads and know the quality of content exchanged here on ValuePickr. So urge you to provide your opinions on CloneFolio and what information an investor might seek from shareholding reports?

Also, suggest us the name of investor or corporate funds which can be tracked. Currently, we are tracking this list.

21 Likes

Great effort @Sowmay :+1:

Good job Sowmay. If I may, I would suggest that you add columns on the right side with previous quarter/year holdings so that it is easy to compare/see which stock the investor decreased/increased stake in.

2 Likes

Yes, have that layout in mind. Will integrate in future version. Thanks.

Great initiative Sowmay. Agree with @lavpatel about showing last couple of quarters for holding trend.
As to the list, you may consider adding:

• Pabrai Investment Fund(s) — Mohnish Pabrai
  • Radhakishan Damani
  • Ashish Dhawan
  • ajay upadhyay
  • Miten Mehta

Suggest to also check out the StockEdge app that has a feature where one can lookup holdings by name of investor or their firm / fund name. Challenge is however to aggregate different spellings etc. into a more intelligent view. E. g. Rare Enterprises, R Jhunjhunwala, Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, Rakesh & Rekha Jhunjhunwala are all one investor.
Cheers and good luck!

3 Likes

Another resource: http://alphaideas.in/category/coattailing/

That’s a good list of investors. Also checked the StockEdge app, can be a good resource.

Exactly, different spells are creating problems. For example, in Karur Vyas Bank Jhunjhunwala is invested through 2 different names, RAKESH JHUNJHUNWALA (RARE ENTERPRISES) and JHUNJHUNWALA RAKESH RADHESHYAM (check out shareholding pattern).

In Delta Crop, Rekha Jhunjhuwala’s (his wife) name is also there (shareholding pattern) but almost everywhere “Rakesh Jhunjhunwala” is a common keyword.

Currently, we are checking holdings with first name and last name of the investor. Also, if the investor is holding same stock with 2 different names, we are only considering the last entry to store in our database.

Our scripting logics will become mature as we go by.

1 Like

Gr8 job … thanks for sharing . very useful .

Excellent initiative! Prompt and early information will be very useful in making buying or selling decisions. Kindly work towards that. Best wishes.

1 Like

As suggested, added 4 columns to analyse the holdings % of last 4 quarters side by side.

Check out Nemish Shah portfolio of last 4 quarters here.

NA can be any of the following:

• The shareholding pattern is not yet announced.
  • The investor sold the full stake in the company.
  • The investor’s holding is reduced to less than 1%
  • The investor doesn’t hold the stock in that quarter.

We also increased the investor’s list which is as follows:

• ashish kacholia
  • value quest
  • prashant jain
  • vijay kedia
  • nemish shah
  • rakesh jhunjhunwala
  • ashish dhawan
  • mauryan first
  • dolly khanna
  • porinju veliyath
  • radhakishan damani
  • nirmal bang
  • ajay upadhyaya
  • ayush mittal

For future reference, you can check the investor list here.

Currently, only 2 corporate entities (Value Quest & Nirmal Bang) are tracked, would be great if the readers can suggest us some prominent funds also.

1 Like

Excellent initiative, Good list of Investor. Keep improving. best Wishes.

Is there a source for real time changes (day to day changes as well). That would be way more useful. Because this only gives changes from Quarter to quarter.

The shareholding patterns are announced every quarter so currently, no way to track on real time basis.

same for ashish kacholia there are 4-5 names in stockedge app

Well you don’t need to pay to get this info as its anyway not realtime. You can get the data from moneycontrol screener for free as well after every quarter. I follow only few of them hence its easy for me track their holdings.

Stockedge is a good free source to get the information and different names is not an issue as you can go into the specific stock and check who all are the shareholders. It will show you all those who own the stock.

But as of now, Ashish Kacholia is not creating any problem. In almost every name, we can easily find “Ashish” and “Kacholia” as a common word.

Some other problem we are facing is that many investors had invested through some different account like in LAKSHMI MACHINE WORKS (shareholding pattern), Rekha Shah (wife of Nemish Shah) is invested.

We are working on that thing too. All the investments through different accounts should be tracked into a single name. As said earlier, Our scripting logics will become mature as we go by.

[quote=“Georgej, post:15, topic:11467, full:true”]
Well you don’t need to pay to get this info as its anyway not realtime. You can get the data from moneycontrol screener for free as well after every quarter. I follow only few of them hence its easy for me track their holdings.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s not live but there’s no way to get this information with at most authenticity on real time basis. Our database is updated within few seconds of the shareholding pattern is announced and that will be provided through email alerts instantly.

[quote=“Georgej, post:15, topic:11467, full:true”]
Stockedge is a good free source to get the information and different names is not an issue as you can go into the specific stock and check who all are the shareholders. It will show you all those who own the stock.[/quote]

I myself use StockEdge. Great App for investors but they don’t provide alerts if the investor I follow increased, decreased, bought or sold the stake in a company. Nor Moneycontrol any other source provides that.

And that’s what we are charging for. However, the holding information can be accessed for free on our website (including recent quarter, updated live as the pattern is announced)

We are testing the alert feature. Will launch it from the third quarter. Today, we received an alert that Dolly Khanna stakes are increased in Nitin Spinners from 1.35 to 1.45

Shareholding pattern (Jun 17 end)

Shareholding pattern (Mar 17 end)

The Shareholding pattern was announced at 13:50 (10 minutes before writing this post).

Hope get a glimpse of what we are trying to achieve.

I have my doubts to rely on such form. I just verified the shareholding data shown in clonefolio.com and DHFL shareholding pattern uploaded in bse by the management. See the below screenshot and take informed decision which data to rely on.

This screenshot from clonefolio - it shows Jhunjhunwala exited the stock June 17

Now see the screenshot from BSE site - Uploaded by the management.

I have noticed that nowadays there are many who want to milk common people with whatever form they can by taking advantage of this bullmarket craziness.

IMHO, when your hard earned money is involved its good to be with known sources even if its takes a bit of work to find the data.

2 Likes

My humble apologies on this one.

However, I have justification for it.

There’s a typo error in the shareholding pattern uploaded by the management.

They ate the “h” of Jhunjhunwala. Our system checks for the spells “Rakesh” and “Jhunjhunwala” (not jhunjunwala). That’s the disadvantage of keeping machine on work.

For now, will add this manually though. Thanks for pointing out.

3 Likes

@Sowmay : I have a similar tool at www.bajaar.me/investors and had similar problems when I started out. For perspective, on my site rakesh jhunjhunwala currently is an amalgam of 42 individual strings. Life insurance corporation is a group of 170 different strings.

You will find a lot of inconsistencies in dealing with BSE and SEBI data, and sometimes it is just plainly incorrect. I have automated most of it, but errors still crop up every once in a while. A combination of methods such as prefix matches, regular expressions and string similarities have helped - hopefully you can use similar ideas to clean up the data. Manual updating is just impractical.

Wish you all the best!

3 Likes