Thyrocare : Debt free Asset Light Healthcare Play

Hello,

For experienced trackers of this sector and scrip. I attended a twitter space today where Dr Velumani offered his views on the sector and future going forward. At a high level, his expectations from the sector are 25+% CAGR for next 20 years.

Then I came to screener. The stats are as follows as of day.

On the P&L, I see this

Basically, firm is trading below its industry PE, PEG is at approx 1, The firm has never made lesser than 40% OPM except in 2021, ROCE has grown from lows of 26% in 2016 to 42% in 2022. As of now its currently trading near its historic lows - at its 2016 IPO levels. which is also close to 52 week low.

As a relative newbie investing with a relatively long window - this looks like a screaming buy at this moment. What am I missing here? Would appreciate views.

Edit : Am now trying to go through the whole thread.

1 Like

Difference is Promoter.

Earlier when Velumani was in driving seat, the focus was to drive down input cost, and pass on to customer with a decent margin. With a new promoter whose focus is overall Pharmacy space, with Lab test as a add on, Market is concerned if Thyrocare will be the small piece in a big machine, with only focus to complement the main holding company, not Thyrocare.

Update - Velumani, when he sold out did say, he has grown this company like a child into a teenager, and now time has come for the teenager to move on, to the bigger world. Maybe the next leg of growth can come from the PharmEasy takevover.

It all depends on how Pharmeasy wants to leverage the foundation of Thyrocare, and how it will share the outcomes with Thyrocare shareholders. It is this future clarity that might be affecting the share price, although the prospects might still be good for a 20%+ revenue growth.

2 Likes

I was invested in Thyrocare during Velumani’s time. However when Pharmeasy promoters took over, one of their early action was to pledge large chunk of their Thyrocare shares. Confused with this, I sold off immediately. I wasn’t sure of the new promoter’s ideology and thinking.

With multiple subsidiaries under same promoters, all others being loss making and private while Thyrocare being the only one with positive cashflows and listed, I was scared. It looks like a good decision in hindsight but basically, when not comfortable with promoter’s ideology, selling helps me get good sleep.

4 Likes

The main reason for underperformance is the fact that the entire diagnostic sector valuation was very high with PEs north of 50…now the valuation has come down significantly. Thyrocare current PE is 18…EPS was 33 something

I am super bullish on diagnostic sector and thyrocare is the most profitable company of all the listed players. Professional management (pharmeasy) is what thyrocare needs going forward. They will be able to bring additional business via the pharmeasy channel…

Hopefully, they will look at divesting (or at least not investing anymore money) PET CT business - this is dragging the performance of thyrocare. Thyrocare missed the opportunity to sell PET CT business to Dr Velumani when he offered to buy it for 193 odd crores - the board concluded it will lead to conflict of interest! The decision was not favourable for minority shareholders. Now Dr V has sold his entire business!! Those independent directors should be sacked…

The pros are - long runway for growth, professional promoters running the show now, no debt, not capital intensive, excellent free cash flow which will translate into dividends

The cons - valuation was pricey - now not the case. The cons are none in my biased view :laughing: :laughing:

Discl - adding since IPO and very biased

6 Likes

Thanks, Some thoughts on the Pros, would be good to know your details as well -

1. long run way for growth - Agree, although with huge competition cropping up like 1MG, Lupin diagnostics etc. the growth pie will be shared and become more realistic

2. Professional Promoters - Not sure what you mean by professional here. Dr Velumani was as professional as a young man who founded a start up IMO…Can you elaborate why you consider new promoters more professiona? If it is because of PE presence, then PE will be present anywhere where they are given a chance to come and buy…

3. No Debt - Agree

4. Not Capital intensive - Partially Agree. Capital intensity may not be in terms of setting up brick and motor store but eventual competition would result in capital intensive nature because of things like advertising, discounting, promotions etc. etc. (Assuming the cashflows of Thyrocare will not be used for expanding other digital businesses of the parent)

5. excellent free cash flow which will translate into dividends - Not sure because of above point 4.

Disc: Ever since listing of Thyrocare & Dr lal, wanted exposure in Diagnostics for long term but sharp run up gave no chance. Later, even after run up - I chose Thyrocare to begin allocation because of various factors like Valuations, company size, opportunities, dividend yield, Dr Velumani building something single handedly etc. Had reached 2% allocation and was all set to expand but at same time the promoter change happened. I sold entire holdings as was not sure of how listed Thyrocare would be treated over long term. With time - I am not sure now about who the “Clear Leader/Leaders” would be in the now Very disruptive diagnostic space

2 Likes

Competition - it was always there - local diagnostic shops still have 50% market share (guestimate)…
Also, it wont be easy to grow for new players such as Lupin. Starting from scratch is always very challenging. The 5-6 listed players have been around for a while. Established diagnostic companies have a huge advantage…

Promoters - what I mean professional is in a business sense with business background. Dr V was a scientist who started and grew the business. PET CT business was a disaster - but he continued investing (193 crores in total)…These guys have paid Rs 1300 per share. They would surely want thyrocare to succeed - look from an owners angle…

Capital light - I don’t want to elaborate further - I stand by my opinion. Their balance sheet speaks for itself. Don’t assume things that will happen in the future…

4 Likes

Thyrocare in its latest ppt says that 90% samples reach within 18 hours. But isn’t 18 hours itself a long enough time limit for samples to be processed. Can someone knowledgeable about this respond? Thanks.

1 Like

Very. Dr Lal has a TAT of 10 hours max

2 Likes

Non covid revenues increased both QoQ and YoY for both Lalpath and Thyrocare

2 Likes

Read an article PharmEasy might need to sell Thyrocare - The Morning Context

PharmEasy might need to sell Thyrocare The diagnostics firm is unable to support PharmEasy’s core online pharmacy business.

Any views?

1 Like

We are in June now, again similar things are heard. PharmEasy might be looking to exit Thyrocare. The stock saw 6+% run today. Views invited.
ps. Invested

Founders whose skills were yet to be proven across cycles, drinking the “growth at any price” kool aid because of easy availability of capital and getting into ill advised financial structuring (pledging shares, borrowing money for expansion not yet supported by good unit economics)…

Now getting their own equity diluted away to next to nothing after the tech funding tap dried up for just a year

Hope a business like Thyrocare (that always had a future) doesn’t pay the price for the low quality risk management thinking of the new owners

11 Likes

Diagnostic sector to grow in double-digits over the medium term

The Indian domestic medical diagnostic industry is set to grow at 12-14% in the medium term, driven by expansion and consumer focus on preventive healthcare, per CareEdge. The market was worth $14.57 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach $43.57 billion by FY32, as reported by Polaris Market Research. Pathology testing services make up 60% of the sector, while imaging diagnostic services account for the rest, with both expanding due to demand.

FY24Q2 results: https://nsearchives.nseindia.com/corporate/Outcomeofbm31102023upload_31102023163257.pdf

Highlights:
EPS grows 41% YoY from 2.70 to 3.83
Operating cash flow for same 6 months period grew from 53.74 to 68.77.

Thyrocare – A business analysis, 26th Dec 2023

Background

Thyrocare is largely in the business of blood tests. It is heavily tilted towards testing for disorders (blood constituents, hormones, electrolytes) rather than disease. Its business model is more B2B focused than B2C. Here B2B refers to hospitals, clinics, local collection centers that send their business to Thyrocare (often via franchisees). Typically, these other businesses collect the blood samples and Thyrocare processes it. See Figure 1 for revenue mix.

Figure 1: Most of Thyrocare’s revenue is from B2B, only 6% from B2C. Quarterly report, Oct 2023.

With PharmEasy acquiring a 70% stake in Thyrocare in 2021, the opportunity for exploiting synergies and getting more B2C business via PharmEasy portals does arise and this can be without much spending on customer acquisition and advertisement.

The business model is of the hub and spoke kind as shown in Figure 2. Samples are collected in 570 of the 779 districts in India. Samples requiring more complex tests are sent to the central and zonal labs, the others to proximal regional labs. This way equipment costs are centralized and utilization rates are high.

Figure 2: The hub and spoke model of Thyrocare.

If opportunities for growth are available, it can be done in a capital-light manner. All equipment is leased from the vendors and the lease costs go into opex. All reagents are purchased from the vendors but that does not require capex. Lab space can also be leased. So effectively this is a capital light business.

A good overview of the sector is given by HDFC securities in 2021 and Care Ratings in 2023. As shown in Figure 2, the market share of the organized diagnostics labs is only 17% of which the large pan-Indian entities only have a 6% market share. Like the other large organized players, Thyrocare has NABL certified labs (only 2% of the nation’s labs have this certification). Do note that there might be other certifications that still lend credibility and perhaps some of the other labs have such alternative ones. Long story short, amongst the organized players, accreditation is not a competitive advantage.

Figure 3: Market share of diagnostics providers

Thyrocare is also involved in providing PET-CT imaging labs but that’s only a small part of the business (7% revenue, 2023).

Business drivers

The most obvious business driver is that the entire sector will grow as GDP/capita increases. Add to it the fact that India will be the global epicenter of lifestyle diseases owing to poor diets and lack of exercise, sector growth is inevitable.

This entire business might go the way of retail, with margins and ROCE contracting due to competitive intensity owing to lack of entry barriers. This is excellent for the populace as costs go down, but identifying winners in the sector becomes very difficult. After all they are all using the same machines, doing the same tests and by and large offering similar services. Certainly, there are niches, such as Thyrocare being more into testing for disorders while Dr Lal’s Pathlabs offering more complex tests including disease testing.

Winners will be decided by good managerial practices. That’s what separates the Walmarts and Costcos from the rest. While the business is a value-add to society, nothing prevents commoditization of the diagnostics market. The unorganized sector will likely shrink, but amongst the big organized players, whether there will be a few dominant ones 10 years from now is hard to estimate.

To me Figure 4 tells Thyrocare’s recent story. While revenue per share has shown decent growth (ignore the Covid pop), earnings have not grown proportionally. In fact, in the last 18 months, they are going down quite dramatically. This is a clear picture of a company without pricing power and without being able to leverage economies of scale.

Figure 4: Revenue and earnings per share over the past 5 years.

Analysis of Financial Statements

Two things stand out from Table 1 – all growth rates are anemic and practically all the FCF is being returned to shareholders as dividend. The average capex over the last 5 years is INR 400 million, of which 70% is maintenance (depreciation and amortization) while only 30% is being put into growth despite capital metrics being decent (Figure 5). And that’s the crux of the problem, they are unable to grow without destroying margins. For a cash rich company like Thyrocare, I find it surprising that they lease machines (don’t know the exact percentage) – unless you are growing rapidly, buying would be cheaper in the long run.

The recent increase in share count (approx. 6%) is something to keep an eye on. I don’t particularly care why they are doing it but shareholders should know that their stake is reduced by 6%.

Table 1: Key metrics from financial statements in millions INR over the past five years.

Figure 5: ROCE and ROE trend.

For valuation, I just use Thyrocare as a FCF engine. INR 700 million seems like a reasonable FCF number. 10 years out, the PE should contract. Given these assumptions the most likely case is that Thyrocare is priced at 6.5% return. Only with the most optimistic assumptions is it firmly valued for a 10% return.

Table 2: A DCF valuation for normal, best case and worst-case scenarios using FCF as input.

Investment thesis

This is a decent company in a growing market. Competitive forces will likely make ROCE and margins go down, but nothing stops Thyrocare from being a reliable FCF engine. To me this would be more of a dividend buy with a modest 10% FCF growth. That being said, its priced to be a high growth company while the data does not support it. Astute management practices might prove me wrong and the business might meaningfully improve, the data over the last years only shows deteriorating business metrics. Not surprisingly, while the business makes 2.5 higher revenue today (in 2023), than in 2015-16, the stock price has not budged! A 50% decrease from here wont surprise me too much. Wake me up if the price goes down by half and the dividend approaches 5%.

Company news

A few minor developments on business expansion:

Thyrocare has also entered into government partnerships for the like of TB and infections, but this would only be a percentage or two of revenue (Concall Transcript, Oct 2023).

Also, Thyrocare has entered a JV in Tanzania and expressed interest to expand into East Africa and the Middle East.

Catalyst

The PharmEasy acquisition could have been a catalyst but that does not seem to have emerged. On the contrary, PharmEasy is so heavily in debt, they may just think of Thyrocare as a cash cow to service their debt. And if they struggle to service their debt, who knows what happens to the stock price if they unload their shares or sell it someone else. Either way, unless the business gets materially better, I don’t see a sustainable catalyst. Price action is of course unpredictable.

Disclosure: I had bought it relatively cheap as a hedge against further covid outbreaks (Thyrocare goes up, rest of the portfolio goes down). I sold out at a reasonable profit. Probably I had paid too much to buy it in the first place (even as a hedge) but Mr. Market was kind and absolved me of my sins.

6 Likes

Just for your awareness

Lupin Diagnostics have opened across Bangalore, Mumbai

One needs to concise about the pricing and market share here…

1 Like

Velumani was interviewed toady on CNBC. As always brutally honest. Explained that the valuation that he exited on was fortunate and way above anything that will be seen by Thyro or any Diagnostic till 2028 … till then we have to wait i guess.

but i think thyro will do better and reach old valuation if API can sell their stakes and the approach current MD has to expand to new geography in Africa with reputed technology will be the way ahead.
Velu also said that the organized diagnostic now was much better certified and quality is better.

i wish he once again buy it back …very frugal and made sure all the money spent was to achieve lowest cost

2 Likes