The Phd. in Value Investing

I have always been fascinated by the idea of a PhD. in Value Investing.
I am starting a thread and outlining a process that I feel is no short of a PhD.
I welcome comments and feedback on same.

Step One
Books to Read.

1. Seeking Wisdom
  2. Skin In The Game
  3. This Will Make You Smarter
  4. The Black Swan
  5. The Little Book That Builds Wealth
  6. Security Analysis
  7. Poor Charlie’s Almanack
  8. The Warren Buffet Way
  9. Little Book Of Valuation
  10. A Masterclass with Super Investors
  11. Essay’s of Warren Buffet: Lessons for Corporate America
  12. One Up on Wall Street
  13. Margin of Safety
  14. Intelligent Investor
  15. The Joy’s of Compounding

Step 2
Opening a Demat Account

Step 3

1. Buy 1 share each of 50 stocks.
  2. These should only be companies you love. No company should be a recommendation of your friend, relative, broker or any analyst or advisor.
  3. Whatever the outcome, they are not to be sold for 5 years. This is how long it takes to get a PhD.
  4. Learn Fundamental Analysis, Ratio Analysis, Financial Shenanigans on the go and analyze every document these companies produce for the exchanges and the public.
  5. Learn from your mistakes over the 5 years and laugh at the errors and carefully note them down. You are still in school
  6. Double-check your winners and see if it was luck, patience or calculative investing.
  7. Noone can win overnight. But over time, towards the completion of your Phd, you will be able to get a grasp of your circle of competence.

Addition Things to Do Over the 5 Years

1. One can invest the corpus in debt and index funds in the ratio of his/her risk profile for the five years while the course is being completed.
  2. One can also learn financial modeling, and if has time, can also give exams for CFA & FRM in alteration.
  3. One can attend Prof. Damodaran’s free courses on Valuation, Corporate Finance, Valuation, and Investment Philosophies if there is further free time.

Your Phd Pedagogy

I don’t want to goto Heaven, all I want is to know where and when I am going to die and if I will be going to Hell

Comments and Feedback Welcome

5 Likes