Tata Investment Corporation: Unusual discount to NAV

Hi,

TATA steel went through 1:10 share split recently and IOC gave 1:2 bonus shares. Can you plz update holding details in that file with these modifications?

3 Likes

Thanks for your inputs, just updated the sheet as per your request.

2 Likes

Tata digital has three unicorns now (1mg, curefit and bigbasket) and is going to be huge in coming years. Going over the thread looks like we have not established if or not TIC owns anything in Tata digital (via Tata sons).

1 Like

Got to check the Annual Report for surity but I don’t remember seeing Tata Digital.

Anyone aware of any recent development with Tata Investment? The run up in last few days has been something unusual. Its like a rerating and not usual gap up to fill NAV discount…Is something changing in the way this company operates or its structure or any constituent getting massively rerated?

2 Likes

There was news that Tata AMC is considering a buyout of the 45% stake held by PSU banks in UTI. Tata Invest owns 32% of UTI. It would be interesting to see how Tata AMC (or Tata Invest) funds the buyout if there is indeed one - cash infusion or debt.

Birla AMC has also apparently put their hat in the ring.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning that, Yes i did check that…However, (I may be wrong) this may not be directly resulting in this massive rerating. UTI AMC is approx 10K cr mcap today after absorbing this news and historically Tata Investment trades at 60-80% NAV discount, so a 45% stake in UTI as on today would be 4500 cr and taking 60% discount (a better case), this news should result in around maximum of 1800 cr change in mcap of Tata Investment…

However, the change we see is of approx 6000 cr in its mcap in around a month…

So yes, this news is positive indeed but looks like either this has changed the way market is looking at this holding/investment company or there is more to it…maybe more such deals or new listings possibilities etc. which we do not know yet?

Thanks again for your views…this has indeed been a good opportunity in hindsight…

Disc: Not invested, tracking since many years. Invested in some top holdings of Tata Investment. Not eligible for any recommendations

3 Likes

50% increase in last month makes it 3500-4000 cr increase.

Yes if you consider only last month change…point is it sems something more than a specific deal…

1 Like

Would appreciate it if someone can help with this. I cannot find this anywhere?

Sorry… my bad… I meant to write Tata Invest owns 32% of Tata AMC.

1 Like

Insane run-up! The stock is up 20% today. Is the MF development that significant and it’s not finalized yet, is it?

Other holding companies - BBTC, Maharashtra Scooters, Bajaj Holdings have also run up a lot this month. Is it just a broader market thing?

1 Like

Two observations.

1. Usually holding companies at the fag end of a bull market, near the top. That is what we have seen in the last 3 bull runs in India.

2. Assuming that Tata Invest does successfully buy a stake in UTI, there may need to be some form of corporate action to amalgamate UTI and Tata MF, because as per current rules, no holding company can own more than 10% in an MF.

Personally, I don’t think we are at the end of a bull market rally, but only time will confirm that. What is a possibility is that they are just playing catch up after their constituent stocks have run up in the recent past.

Disclosure: Invested. Can sell at any time :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I think answer lies somewhere here and as I mentioned it’s more than deal but the way this company is being perceived (at the moment)…apart from deal or any potential deal, the nature of this company maybe impacted or at least that is what is being perceived…to be not just as a holding company but some elements of operational company as well…as it is promoter of Tata AMC and not just an investor…

Has been a very interesting learning for me here…not all holding companies are similar…certainly not the one from the house of Tatas!

Disc: Same as above

3 Likes

The Ken wrote a story today on TICL. Would appreciate if someone with the paid subscription could read and summarise this.

3 Likes

Nothing in it. Just some general knowledge. Information already available in public domain and covered in recent news articles around that stock. They have just given it a catchy title.

So there has been a lot of talk recently about how Tata group wishes to bring down the number of listed companies significantly. They are merging all steel related businesses with Tata Steel. Is there anyway this could affect TIC holders?

Disc. not invested

“Affect” negatively? I don’t think so. The stock still trades at 50% discount to NAV. Even if they decide to delist/buyback all shares, they will have to do it at significantly higher price than cmp which is positive for current share holders of TIC.

Retail can’t be moving the volume manifolds, and there are no bulk/block deals other than the one below that caused a massive volume/price spike during mid-September. Even this one doesn’t make sense. In what situations would the same entity buy and sell at the same price range?