Smallcap momentum portfolio

My strategy is not very different from yours… I rebalance it every 15 days… The only difference I have is I have worked on exits a lot… Almost spent 6 months and have tested 20 kinds of exits… Thats my strength and why I don’t fear corrections and don’t think of valuations… Please note that traditional exits don’t work here… Ema, Donchain channels… Etc etc will only exit you at the worst time… Think a little out of the box…

4 Likes

I gave hint where you want to work… The stock which has run you have to book profits… That will only generate great alpha… Otherwise exits On a 20% Gain wont make any difference in the portfolio… Go back to the past winners… Multiple x… And then study when the momentum fails… Also there is a exit of 12 M trailing return… Eg you check 1 year return on index… And when it goes negative… Exit…

1 Like

Sorry, not sure if my previous response to @LarryWink was not clear.

Exits for me are based on ranking only. I do not use any technical signal.

As @LarryWink was trying to marry fundamental and momentum and looking for exit strategies, I have suggested to him. As he uses a lot of discretion or fundamental investing, some of these exit strategies may work for him.

1 Like

I was studying the sheet of smallcap 250…and i paste the formula to find the price of script on given dates… as u done on ur sheet but…
It’s showing some error on late 2 date as shown in screenshot.
Last 2 date are- 11/4/24…12/4/24…

Can u help me with that

@kuldeep_agarwal I don’t know if you use the same formula as I have done, but please consider the following.

1. This is the formula I use. =index(GOOGLEFINANCE(“NSE:”&$B$4,“price”,$A400-1),2,2). You will notice that if you need the price for 11/04/2024, you should write, (11/04/2024-1). This is the way google Finance picks the correct date.
  2. If you have got the above correct, please check after 9am. I have seen that google finance seems to be picking up the updated information after 9 only.
2 Likes

thank you… i have used the same formula… now its showing the price of scipts. i think there is some timming issue.

Update for entry on 15th April 2024

There was some discussion about market sentiment and good time to shift to cash or anything else. I indicated that I will update 50DMA and 200DMA to confirm that the sentiment is still fine.

Currently, 50DMA > 200DMA and hence we are good to continue.

Based on ranking:

1. JAIBALAJI
  2. ANANDRATHI
  3. SIGNATURE
  4. INOXWIND
  5. SCHNEIDER
  6. MEDANTA
  7. HINDCOPPER
  8. COCHINSHIP
  9. EIHOTEL
  10. HUDCO
  11. MOTILALOFS
  12. MRPL
  13. SOBHA
  14. ACE
  15. TATAINVEST
  16. NUVAMA
  17. NBCC
  18. MCX
  19. HBLPOWER
  20. SWANENERGY

Based on A → Z for easy tracking:

• ACE
  • ANANDRATHI
  • COCHINSHIP
  • EIHOTEL
  • HBLPOWER
  • HINDCOPPER
  • HUDCO
  • INOXWIND
  • JAIBALAJI
  • MCX*
  • MEDANTA
  • MOTILALOFS
  • MRPL
  • NBCC
  • NUVAMA*
  • SCHNEIDER
  • SIGNATURE
  • SOBHA
  • SWANENERGY
  • TATAINVEST

Exits:
BSOFT exits.
POWERINDIA stays within the top 25 and hence remains.

Entry:
NUVAMA enters.
MCX cannot enter as there is no vacancy.

2 Likes

In the other momentum thread that I created, there was a discussion on doing a live webinar to show how the worksheet is updated.

@R_Sawkar was kind enough to create a link for the event. It is at 9.45am on Sunday, 21st April.

Link is given below.

https://us05web.zoom.us/j/4988818971?pwd=bIylCFYwZ9tqcUPA7QYBbQYQDVWO5L.1

If anyone is interested, they can join.

5 Likes

https://us05web.zoom.us/j/4988818971?pwd=bIylCFYwZ9tqcUPA7QYBbQYQDVWO5L.1

1 Like

Thanks to @R_Sawkar again. If someone can tell me how to add the video here, will be helpful as it looks like mp4 extension is not allowed.

1 Like

Update for entry on 22nd April 2024

Currently 50DMA (14803) > 200DMA (13094) and hence we can continue to remain invested.

Based on ranking:

1. JAIBALAJI
  2. ANANDRATHI
  3. INOXWIND
  4. SIGNATURE
  5. SCHNEIDER
  6. MOTILALOFS
  7. MEDANTA
  8. HUDCO
  9. HINDCOPPER
  10. COCHINSHIP
  11. MRPL
  12. EIHOTEL
  13. SOBHA
  14. POWERINDIA
  15. EXIDEIND
  16. CHALET
  17. TATAINVEST
  18. KPIL
  19. ACE
  20. BRIGADE

Based on A → Z for easy tracking

• ACE
  • ANANDRATHI
  • BRIGADE*
  • CHALET*
  • COCHINSHIP
  • EIHOTEL
  • EXIDEIND*
  • HINDCOPPER
  • HUDCO
  • INOXWIND
  • JAIBALAJI
  • KPIL*
  • MEDANTA
  • MOTILALOFS
  • MRPL
  • POWERINDIA
  • SCHNEIDER
  • SIGNATURE
  • SOBHA
  • TATAINVEST

Exits:
HBLPOWER, NBCC and SWANENERGY exit.
NUVAMA stays within the top 25 and hence remains.

Entry:
CHALET, EXIDEIND and KPIL enter.
BRIGADE cannot enter as there is no vacancy.

2 Likes

This is the link of the spreadsheet we used during our discussions today.

6 Likes

Link to the first video.

8 Likes

Video of the second session.

5 Likes

this sheet not able to download, can you please give download access

Please see if you can save it in your drive. If not possible, request access and I think I will be able to provide access to download.

1 Like

Try to open in laptop or desktop.
No issues easy download.

2 Likes

Thanks alot Sir for sharing such a valuable research data and your process !!

1 Like

@visuarchie

Appreciate your sharing. I am sure it can act a base to build something else, along with the fact that it can be used as it is. And I am guessing it might find its way into social networking sites.

And I am sure someone can even try to monetize it - hide everything and share just the stocks that are needed to buy, collect some fees, publicize the profits, perhaps add some color in discussing a few stocks, share a chart or two in the meantime, to entertain the subscribers, and make them believe that a lot of work is going on behind the curtains, and mint money from them, mint big. Not that there are no losses, there are no draw downs, but the lure of profits like these entice people very much, they will flock. And in bad times, say that losses are part of a strategy like this, we are losing small compared to the gains, post the PF size, share a few inspirational images and quotes, assure that the super profits will start to come once the indices start moving, and see members taking console, staying put. Repeat. In other words, this looks like a lucrative thing to make money (not for you, obviously).

And as for me, I believe there will be something that will help my learning, something that I can take and integrate into my process.

I don’t know on what ideas or grounds VP was started, perhaps pure value investing, as the name implies, but over the course of years, there are many different things that are shared, strategies that are polar opposite to others, schools of thought that are different and distant from value, elaborate psychological threads, trading related topics, pure TA, TA with FA, quantitative investing, and this thread too is turning out to be one among them. Hope you update the thread, with your new learning and modifications.

Thank you for recording and sharing the session, this helps more than who had attended.

@R_Sawkar

Thanks to you too for arranging the webinar.

5 Likes

Good point that you make here on investment style. I asked one of the founders (I think) if I could start a thread on momentum investing. I started the thread after that.

4 Likes