Simrat Portfolio

Hi everyone,

I have been in markets since almost last 4 years. I am starting this thread to share my ideas that I hold and interact with community over here to learn together.

I have fairly diversified portfolio but top 20 holdings have nearly 90% allocation. I look for companies which either have potential to grow faster than 20-25% or consistent compounder types which will not have much gyrations on quarterly basis and you can just be passive with them. I also want to make sure diversification across sectors because having the right theme can keep the portfolio afloat in right direction and the sectors keep on rotating these days.

Stock Allocation%
HCG 6%
Saregama 6%
Polycab 6%
HCL Tech 5%
ITC 5%
Lemon Tree 5%
LTTS 5%
Radico Khaitan 4%
Arvind Fashions 4%
APL Apollo 4%
Sapphire Foods 4%
Syngene 4%
Gokaldas Exports 4%
RHI Magnesita 3%
Deepak Nitrite 3%
TCNS Clothing 3%
Tata Consumer 3%
Mold Tek Packaging 3%
Axis Bank 3%
SChand 3%
RACL Geartech 2%
Divis Labs 2%
Astec 2%
Narayana Hrudyalya 2%
Navin Fluorine 2%
South Indian Bank 2%
Varun Beverages 1%
Tarsons 1%

With bull run after COVID, the ride was fairly easy in broader markets as everything moved up and there were lot of multi-baggers in 1.5 year period. For me, Saregama, Laurus Labs, Polycab, Deepak Nitrite, Mold Tek Packaging, ITC all have delivered exceptional returns.

Saregama has been there since Oct 2020 and was easy pick given the music streaming trend, licensing led heavy cash business model they have. Going forward, guidance is to grow at 20-22%.

Deepak Nitrite has been 4x at CMP but I have been trimming the position size as immediate risk reward isn’t that favourable and next set of capex still away for ramp up.

Polycab came in the portfolio around 700-800 and its wires and cables theme is fairly steady proxy on building materials front, so I plan to hold it until I find a better opportunity. This could also be a proxy play on the capex story of India, so seems fairly poised to give decent returns still from here on. 15-20% compounder likely from here on.

Mold Tek Packaging was the idea borrowed from Marcellus around 300 levels and it is a proxy on FMCG, Paints sector majorly since they make packaging containers for these products. What attracted me was the consistency and upward trajectory of margins for the company and the key relationships it holds with likes of Asian Paints. At CMP, risk reward seems unfavourable, even though they are doing lot of new capex and adding higher margin products, hence have trimmed the position.

ITC was again a very initial buy as it used to come in all valuation screeners where one puts P/E < Historical P/E :slight_smile: It was dormant all through 2019-2021 in my time but it has been phenomenal in last 1 year. Still worth holding in my view.

Then there is LTTS in the portfolio at 2500 avg., which went up till 6000, but I did not press sell button and it came down back to 3000 :slight_smile: . I have written about it in detail in SOIC blog and I feel it has long runway of growth. So until the time valuations become obscene again or any other structural headwind comes for prolonged period, I would not be willing to sell.

HCG turnaround story where professional management was brought in to reduce debt, focus on return ratios and now the co. is on track to improve margins year on year.

Lemon Tree is < 1 year old holding where thesis is that they would be able to do 350-400 Cr EBITDA this year and stock might be around 120-130 when it will be time to make a sell call.

Radico Khaitan compounder story in alcohol sector which has created several brands up till now. With current headwinds of higher ENA and glass prices, to me it seemed fairly valued from 5 year perspective. I expect close to 20% stock returns from this one given the topline can grow at 15% and there is lot of headroom for margin improvement with premiumization efforts and backward integration after inflation recedes.

APL Apollo is a story of excellent entrepreneur Sanjay Gupta ji who has scaled the steel tubes business magnificently and has now > 50% market share. Going forward they are nearly doubling the capacities and going into higher EBITDA/ton products. I would not be surprised if APL Apollo does 2000 Cr EBITDA in 3-4 years.

Arvind Fashions is newest buy and this is a turnaround story where management wants to consolidate on the brands and grow the EBITDA margins in 12-18 months with 12-15% improvement in topline. With improvement in perception as well given it trades at 12 EV/EBITDA, this seemed to me a good turnaround story which is still under-priced. Though I am conscious of their capital allocation that can go wrong here and competition that apparel category has.

Sapphire Foods QSR bet that is one of the cheapest option and wants to double store count in 3-4 years where PAT growth can be 25-30%. The discount is there due to PE fund holding major position and that is the risk as well to the thesis.

TCNS Clothing is another turnaround play which actually did very well in 2011-2020 period and grew 10x in sales. The business is facing some inflationary headwinds and since the competition has also increased in women ethnic apparel, it remains to be seen if they can emulate similar performance in next 3-5 years. My bet is if they can do 1500 Cr topline with 15% EBITDA margins in next 18-24 months and with some rerating, my job should be done here.

RHI Magnesita refractory consumable co. proxy of steel sector is seeing tailwinds from Indian arm. Buying thesis was reasonable valuations for a MNC co. which can grow at 15-20%+ and with some export tailwinds it can be decent compounder over a period of time.

Tata Consumer, Syngene are the older ones in portfolio which haven’t contributed much to the portfolio in terms of XIRR. Syngene is quite a unique player in India with seemingly strong capabilities in CDMO.

HCL Tech is a recent buy and is already 20% up in this IT bounce back. I bought it with thesis of good dividend yield of 4%+ and the low valuations after recent IT correction with a view to get 15-17% returns atleast including dividends.

Gokaldas Exports bet is on management which is so far defying the slowdown in textiles and apparels. Thesis is if they can become most efficient player out of India to consistently win export orders for apparel to big retail brands of the world and grow at fast pace for 3-5 years. They have guided for 20% growth in FY23 and with kind of optimism and confidence that management shows, FY24 might be another good year as well. Valuations have always been reasonable here since there is disbelief that this sector can do well.

SChand thesis is on launch of NCF. If it doesn’t come through, I might exit immediately as it is already 40-50% up.

RACL I have been studying recently and hence position size is small. Seems well placed with customers selling premium bikes and all.

Divis started buying after its massive fall. It has been darling of the markets all along but due to inflated sales of COVID drug, markets have punished the stock severely now. Management is still upbeat to grow the business and go back to 40% margin levels. Larger theme of China+1 API story is still intact. I plan to watch and nibble along if nothing major is breaking.

Navin Fluorine initially was 4% allocation but trimmed it to 2% due to obscene valuations. The existing capacities are doubling and another 1500-2000 Cr capex is getting planned. EPS growth numbers will be superb but valuations leave little comfort.

Astec again is a tracking position which is overvalued at the moment. What I learnt while buying it around 1700 was that topline can almost double here as well in 3-4 years. But valuations have shot up and I might sell or wait for some corrections to add more.

NH I have been selling since I feel incremental capex of 2000 Cr can again dent the return ratios and market might not like it. Though they are doing greenfield in same city but I find better opportunities for now to invest.

So far the portfolio has done well, but it shall be acknowledged that buoyant Indian markets have a role to play in this. It is incrementally hard to find GARP ideas these days as near term growths are mostly priced in. But every week or so, 2-3 companies come to the radar which have some or other thesis behind them.

Lately, I have been studying Ganesha Ecosphere, Elecon Engineering but still not fully convinced that GE can actually win in longer term since the rPET sector is quite fragmented in nature. Similar concerns on sustainable 3-5 year growth in Elecon have kept me away.

Some errors of omission -

1. Never bothered to understand financials and they have done well now
  2. Did not invest time early to read more about likes of Timken, SKFs and other capital goods plays

Some errors of commission -

1. Wrong extrapolation of Neuland Labs, Sequent numbers and entry point. Though saved by low allocation and did not get impacted much
  2. Incorrect judgement of diagnostics, though again minimal impact.
40 Likes

Thanks for your Portfolio.
Are you doing the deep level analysis of each company ?
When will you take sell call of a company generally?

By deep dive if you mean depth of analysis that I do for each company, then my answer would be that
I am only interested in knowing the moving parts or key variables for a company. I read concalls and ARs to know these and rarely get some insights from network of people on scuttlebutt side.

For example, if I have invested in Saregama, I am tracking if there is any hit to industry structure or not, if they are doing accretive capital allocation. If I am researching about a pharma/chemical name, I am not interested in deep diving to know molecule name and its uses, side effects etc. I am interested to know what kind of competition exists for that molecule and company’s competitive advantage to sell that product. Usually such things come out in numbers over a period of time. If I am buying domestic consumption story, I want to know volume growth and market size. In IT, I take more of a valuation-growth rate call because in my sense lot of work that IT companies do is similar. That is why I bought Mastek in 2020 because a small cap would give better returns in an up-cycle.

Hence, I need to know key variables which will make or break things -

1. Domestic Consumption - Volume Growth and Runway
  2. IT - Valuation vs Growth
  3. Pharma, Chemicals - Capex, future margins and accompanying operating leverage

On selling, I have been a reluctant seller all through out. But I sell when -
1. Anti-thesis starts taking over
I usually try to think of broad range that a business would operate in from good to bad. So my selling reasons are mostly when too bad happens in a company i.e. when anti-thesis plays out. For example, Neuland and Sequent both went completely south due to reasons related to inflation, inability to scale, currency changes etc.
2. Find a better opportunity
When there is better risk reward available in some company vs what I have and my sectoral diversification/preference isn’t getting affected I will switch.

I have not sold on valuations so far -

1. LTTS went to 50-60 PE and did not sell.
  2. Deepak Nitrite was peak margin peak valuation at 2900 should have been sold.
  3. Mold Tek Packaging is 3x for me and now at 40+ PE but I have only trimmed my position.
5 Likes

Thank you for your valuable insights. Really appreciate your detailed answer. These could be helpful in my investment journey.

I am impressed with the quality of your portfolio. Even small caps picked RACL are of high quality.

1 Like

All credit to people like @Worldlywiseinvestors @harsh.beria93 and many others for sharing the thought processes.

7 Likes

I would go with approach of having not more than 15 stocks - Also ensure that you are in right sector or emerging sector - Presently Defence, PSE and PSU banks are in limelight.

Do examine - for making money - it is important that stocks appreciate - Big names are good - but if they are in wrong sector or do not appreciate , our portfolio growth gets affected.

Identify 3-5 emerging sectors and remain invested in top companeis in that sector - possibility of better returns is very high. Monitor once a week and ensure that you have stop loss mechanism in place - DO NOT MARRY A STOCK / Do not expect that your stock will move against market reading - We are small investors and have to respect a statement that
“Bhav Bhagwan Chhe” = Market price is GOD

@itsnitin
I have been indeed longtime investor.
Reliance my avg actual purchase price is @645 before bonus. (holding for more than 20 yrs.) the lowest price I remember buying was @ 300

Mah&Mah I have been holding(2003) avg price of Rs 400 and the lowest price of buying was @80

To my regret I sold 70% Maruti in a downturn & could not buy it back. I had bought it when Suzuki was setting up plant instead of Maruti and analyst had raised Corp governance issue.

Issue like these in Infosys +Nestle has raised the quality of my PF.

In the recent AQR, when banking stocks were down I added Axis + topped up ICICI Bank.

Not all buys are successful, Yes bank, Coal India, Tata motors are where I booked substantial losses.
I monitor execution of both growth projects & analyst views & stock price movements.

It’s worked for me hence sharing.

I am currently acquiring Divis lab

9 Likes

@RajeshNarang If you could share, how many stocks on an average you hold in your portfolio?
And what is your average holding period? And very curious to know what must be your CAGR from 2000? Almost 22 years…You mustbhave beaten all.mutual.funds?

@Mudit.Kushalvardhan
I don’t keep count, it’s been steadily increasing currently about 58+
As I rarely sell ( only for personal requirements + or change in thesis or terminal value)

I have been only adding to my PF about 25-30 lacs (purchase value)over last 20 yrs.Today it is more than 10 times that. My Dividends would range from 1.5 - 4 lakhs over last 5 years.
I have no interest in comparing /competing with MF.
I like binary positions, like indus towers… If Voda gets financer… It can easily go to 350+ or incase of failure it will go to 140-145. My buy price is @ 245 on the high side 190-200 is ideal.

4 Likes

Awesome.
If you have done ten bagger portfolio in 20 years, CAGR returns are 12.20% and dividends are around 1.5% so Total CAGR is 13.7%.

1 Like

Hi Simrat - tata consumer PE is above 90 i think. is it still a good buy at this valuation?

PE of tata consumer is 64 and TTM PE is around 56… Although it may seem on a higher side considering the peers, the growth can be much faster here as the company is not well established and still exploring different avenues for growth through organic and inorganic expansions.
Also, Starbucks JV is included in TCPL and considering it as a QSR, it command a higher PE. Although the co. has not shown volume growth in the past few quarters, I feel the growth will be back on track soon (obv. bcz it is TATA). But as the market is Continuously becoming more and more competitive, it remains to be seen how management will increase its retail network and sales through branding. I think it will take sometime and that’s why stock is consolidating in range as the market is waiting for growth.
If anyone has diff. view, I am open for any constructive criticism.

disc.- Invested 5% of PF. Baised. No reco to buy/sell

1 Like

I have not written on this thread for a while. This time, I am not gonna delve much into the portfolio or its performance as last 3 months have been super great. XIRRs are looking fantastic, multibaggers all are at ATH, no point in thumping chest on them because, while I do feel there is some skill involved in this business but last 3 months prove that luck is major driving factor most of the times. I do not have 8-10 year track record to boast about skill either.

On luck we all are so lucky to be participating in markets at a point when Indian economy is at some kind of inflection point due to various internal and external factors. I look at markets here in UK and people are mostly buying dividend stocks as price appreciation is absent. This validates that being lucky is so important in investing.

So the purpose of this post is to share some learning. I was looking at some of the buy calls since 2022 start, and identified a pattern which is very well known to all but just got amplified for me personally.

Below is some extract of buy transactions since 2022 start. Please note that only some of these names are in the portfolio today as some were either tracking positions or were sold after more understanding of the business env at that time or better opportunity arising elsewhere. So nothing is buy/sell advise here.

Company Name Date Price Valuation Growth Result Business Momentum at that time Valuation Band Outcome
Saregama India 25-Jan-2022 4750 62 PE 20% PAT -20% GOOD BAD BAD
Metropolis Health. 31-Jan-2022 2512.25 55 PE -30% PAT -40% BAD BAD BAD
TCNS Clothing Co. 6-Sep-2022 682 25 EV/EBITDA 0% EBITDA -40% BAD OK BAD
Divi’s Lab 14-Feb-2022 4284.2 45 PE -35% PAT -10% GOOD BAD BAD
Syngene Internation. 27-Jan-2022 557.8 60 PE 18% PAT 50% OK OK GOOD
Narayana Hrudayalay 9-Jun-2022 640.7 38 PE 77% PAT 60% GOOD GOOD GOOD
HealthcareGlobal 14-Feb-2022 238.7 18 EV/EBITDA 27% EBITDA 54% GOOD GOOD GOOD
Polycab India 24-May-2022 2520.8 43 PE 45% PAT 100% GOOD OK GREAT
Varun Beverages 5-Aug-2022 1045.7 51 P/E 42% PAT 75% GREAT OK GREAT
Gokaldas Exports 13-Sep-2022 366.79 12 PE 25% PAT 100% OK GREAT GREAT
RACL Geartech 31-Oct-2022 638.8 23 PE 40% PAT 100% GOOD GOOD GREAT
Carysil 27-Jan-2023 443.65 18 PE -20% PAT 54% OK GREAT GREAT
Pricol 27-Feb-2023 186.9 23 PE 50% PAT* 70% GREAT GOOD GREAT
APL Apollo Tubes 17-Nov-2022 1090.91 48 PE 15% PAT 65% GOOD OK GREAT
Ethos Ltd. 3-Apr-2023 959.76 40 PE 40% PAT 80% GREAT OK GREAT
Newgen Software Tech 8-Mar-2023 474.55 22 PE 10% PAT 80% GOOD GOOD GREAT
Neuland Laboratories 9-Jun-2023 2805 21 PE 50% PAT 30% GREAT GOOD GREAT
RPG Life Sciences 6-Jul-2023 939.969023 24 PE 22% PAT 35% GREAT GOOD GREAT
Deepak Nitrite 14-Feb-2022 2071.9 27 PE -20% PAT 0% OK OK OK
Apcotex Inds 8-May-2023 484.1 25 PE -20% PAT 10% OK OK OK
Devyani International 14-Feb-2022 165.2 80 EV/EBITDA, 18 P/S 38% EBITDA 30% GOOD BAD OK
Mold-tek Packaging 14-Feb-2022 710 31 PE 40% PAT 30% GREAT OK OK
Sapphire Foods India 15-Feb-2022 1428.1 48 EV/EBITDA 40% EBITDA 5% OK OK OK
Sudarshan Chemicals 13-Jun-2022 433.05 1.4 P/S -20% PAT, 5% Sales 20% BAD GREAT OK
Navin Fluorine Intl 11-Jul-2022 3770.85 70 P/E 30% PAT 24% GOOD BAD OK
Eris Lifesciences 11-Nov-2022 706.63 22 PE 0% PAT 15% OK GOOD OK
Arvind Fashions 1-Dec-2022 328 12 EV/EBITDA 22% EBITDA 0% OK GOOD OK

Key Learnings:

1. Bad valuation even with business momentum may not make you money.
  2. Bad business momentum without good enough valuation can also not do much good.
  3. Great outcomes mostly come when either starting valuations have minimal expectations like Gokaldas, Newgen and business tailwinds arrive or business tailwinds start great and continue to be great like Varun Beverages, Ethos. The latter case might be more probable in stories where market shares are monotonically increasing or industry structure is favourable with some competitive advantage.
  4. Good business momentum and good to ok valuations also can produce great outcomes as sometimes market overshoots and becomes exuberant on these names and re-rate them towards absurd valuations. Examples - RACL

Please note that these learnings could be more profound in 1-3 year time period and as time period of evaluating a business increases the role of valuation diminishes. Maybe I could be able to prove this someday since I have been holding LTTS for 3+ years despite good or bad valuation cycles :slight_smile:

Coming to current times, since there is bull market and prices are mostly inflated, so it is time to be cautious of valuations even more. But there are opportunities like some of the ones in below table. Again I do not many most of these names but some subset of the ones on watchlist -

Company Business Momentum Valuation Band
Salzer GOOD GOOD
Mallcom India OK GOOD
HBL Power GREAT OK-BAD
Bector Foods GOOD OK
Usha Martin GOOD OK
Restaurant Brand Asia OK GOOD
RPG Lifesciences GOOD OK
Neuland Labs GOOD GOOD
Dollar BAD OK
Mold Tek Tech GREAT OK
Steelcast OK GOOD
Apcotex BAD OK
Zomato GREAT OK-BAD
Yasho OK OK
Monte Carlo OK GREAT
Kewal Kiran GOOD OK
Amara Raja OK GOOD
Deepak Nitrite OK OK
Wonderla GOOD GOOD
Pricol GREAT OK
Newgen GOOD OK-BAD
Goodluck India GOOD GOOD-GREAT
36 Likes

Thank you @Simrat for sharing. Below are some of my takeaways:

1. Valuation: i.e. the price we pay is one of the key determining factor for good investing outcomes, and it is the only factor we can control.
  2. Allocations: Saregama had of the highest allocation 6% and it performed badly, we have to be very careful in taking higher allocation calls in PF.

Yes valuations matter if your horizon is 1-3 year, as you elongate your time horizons, share price should be more dependent on earnings growth.

Saregama was already 5-6x from 2020 buying price, but I started cutting its weight when I could not align myself on its capital allocation and overall industry dynamics. I have written about it in some posts on its thread.

In general, higher allocation is not a problem, but problem is deciphering how much each stock should be allocated. Generally, one should allocate higher when downside is limited. For example, ITC was high allocation in many portfolios in 2020, 2021 start.

In general my allocation depend on these things -

1. How much I am willing to lose on this stock? So if in a given year I am fine losing 10% of my portfolio at max, so maybe I can afford losing 1% each on 10 positions in a year. So now if I think that downside to some stock is 30%, I will bet 3-4%. P.S: This is an example taken from famous investor - Rajashekhar Iyer
  2. This is also supplemented by my understanding of business, grey areas or blind spots, track record and my perception of management.
6 Likes