Shreyas Shipping & Logistics Ltd. – A coastal shipping story!

Results for the quarter - with profits at Rs.45 cr (compared to 60 cr earlier) given the very low container rates - are very good and much better than I expected. If this level of earnings sustains for the next 3-4 years (bottom of the cycle) , the company deserves to trade at a higher multiple. Even a multiple of 5 on low earnings of Rs.180 cr per year means the stock should be valued at least 1.5 to 2 times the current valuation. The peak cycle earnings are of course much higher.

Disc : Invested and Added after results

3 Likes

What’s changed for this company, sudden jump in profitability over the last year or so compared to historical trends…

Business model has been changed due to agreement with DP world

profitability is good but its not reflecting in share price, valuation looks cheap

I notice three things:
Margins have expanded considerably
Working capital has reduced considerably
Stock price has reacted negatively to this
There’s something that I’m missing?

1 Like

Working model has changed, but there is something missing which is why there is no run in stock. Maybe need some patience for it to run up.
Need expert views on this stock.

They have gone from an end to end shipping company to more of a leasing company. By doing that they have saved all their fuel cost so thats why higher margins.

But with this model they need a lot of capital and networking for future growth. Currently they rely on their parent company to provide most of lease contracts (as high as 75%). This + the fact that most of their fleet is old and would need an upgrade in the next few years is what’s holding the company down. It requires close to 300cr for one ship to be upgraded. They recently upgraded one.

I studied the company but failed to understand how they will earn going forward. So not invested.

9 Likes

The company is currently trading at a P/E of 2.06 and an EV/ EBITDA of 2.36. I was interested in the company for some time but had very few data points to understand the business. The shipping industry is a cyclical industry and had a very bad cycle till the covid crisis bought in an unexpected boom to the industry.
Conventionally, in cyclical investing shares are bought when the P/E is very high as earnings get terribly affected during downcycles.

As per AR’22, the company has 11 container carriers and 2 dry bulk carrier vessels.

The company’s OPM jumped significantly after its deal with Unifeeder.

Source: Screener.
As per the earnings release on 14 February 23, all its vessels are on charter. As all its container vessels are on charter, only vessel operating expenses are incurred by the company, and voyage expenses are incurred by the chartered company.

There is very little info or disclosure from the company since 2020 after the arrangement with Unifeeder.
The company has small feeder container ships which can be used in coastal shipping. The one thing to note is that the average age of ships as per AR’22 is 22.46. The government of India recently proposed a plan to ban all 25-year-old oil tankers, bulk carriers, and other ships.
Source: Government set to ban 25-year-old oil tankers, bulk carriers and other ships calling Indian ports, ET Infra
If this is implemented, the company will have to replace most of its ships immediately. Shreyas has already pointed to the need for the replacement of ships. As per care ratings, SSLL has a capex of 300 crores planned for the next 3 years for dry docking and replacement of vessels. Most of the cash flow over the next few years will be tied up in capex and debt will also increase. SSLL has recently purchased 3 ships.

1. Kaveri - 2007 – 2553 TEU
  2. Godavari – 2010 – 2872 TEU
  3. Thamirabharani – 2005- 962 TEU
    The company doesn’t disclose the cost of these acquisitions which makes it difficult to understand the capex required.
    However, as per a news report from Hellenic Shipping news

Feedermax Sky Pride (962 TEU, Jul 2005, Dae Sun) sold to undisclosed buyers for USD 8.50 mil, VV Value USD 6.45 mil – DD Due. (69 crores)
Source: https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/weekly-vessel-valuations-report-february-21-2023/
This can give us an idea of the capex required for modernizing the fleet.
At this point, I am totally discounting any CG issues in the deal with Unifeeder and considering this as a cyclical play. As a cyclical player, I must be considering time charter rates, the order book for small feeder ships, the age profile of existing ships, the cost of second-hand ships, and scrapping activity. Well, all the data SSLL could give was about the Baltic dry index and Robinson howe index in its earning releases. So had to find out a peer and I think Euroseas fits the description. Interestingly, Euroseas investor presentation provides a lot of insights.

It is good to see that SSLL managed to generate an EPS of 20.50 per share even after time charter rates falling so much. But it should be noted that it is considerably above 10-year average. We may never see the highs of time charter rates or container indexes during covid in our lifetime. So trailing PE analysis is almost meaningless. One may also notice that the order book made a sharp jump in 2022 and a good number of ships are up for delivery in 2023 which may put more downside pressure on Time charter rates. Euroseas alone has 9 feeders up for delivery in 2023 and 2024.

To conclude things, I believe the turnaround in time charter rates is still a few years away with the new orders getting delivered. SSLL will need all its cash flow along with debt to modernize its fleet in the next few years. The company should do well in the next upcycle. But I believe that the downcycle is still not over. On the plus side, 10-year second-hand price of feeder ships has come down sharply to 20 mn USD which will benefit Shreyas while looking for replacements. SSLL is looking for older ships so their price will be lower. As steel prices look good and with TC coming down there will be incentives to scrapping of ships which may balance supply to a certain level.
Euroseas is currently trading at a PE ratio of 1.27 and a dividend yield of 10.93 % on a trailing basis.

Discl: No investments. I am not a SEBI registered advisor. I could be wrong about the cycle. I have used the Euroseas earnings presentation for drawing most of the conclusions. Euroseas quick stats snipped from potley portal. Notes may not be in any proper order.
earnings release q323.pdf (317.2 KB)
Euroseas-Q4-2022.pdf (1.8 MB)

10 Likes

Thanks a ton @Jose for your insightful post.

If the Govt. goes ahead & scraps all vessels older that 25 years, then Shreyas will end up using all its earnings in the foreseeable future & more in replacing its fleet. Quite the opposite of free cash flows! The business seems to be a guzzler of capital & the valuations are perhaps a reflection of that. This also perhaps explains why the business was sold to DP World for a song!!

4 Likes

Good up move in Shreyas Shipping. 12%+.

There is a 3 year period where the older ships can be operated in India and some will be redeployed/sold elsewhere. Given the cash flows around 400 to 500 cr which will accrue by then, we should get a company in much better shape for the next upcycle. The biggest change has been the higher capacity utilization and that part of the thesis is in tact.

1 Like

An interesting article about a price boom in oil tankers internationally.Have been reading about Shreyas selling a lot of their old ships.This may be the reason…

1 Like

Shreyas doesn’t own any oil tankers. They were selling old container ships in the past 1 year. I think it has to do with the stable steel prices and falling TCE which makes scrapping attractive.

1 Like

Bad result,share near LC

2 Likes

Just updating my observations after Q424 in continuation to my earlier post

1. Revenue fell from 115 to 81 crores on a QoQ basis. I was expecting lower revenues in the current quarter following the reduction in international time charter rates. Another thing to consider is the fact that OPM margins went down 53 % to 32 % on a QoQ basis. This could be due to effect of the fixed nature of vessel operation and employee expenses. So the margins may further deteriorate if sales get reduced.
  2. The company has other income of 10 crores resulting from the sale of a few ships in the last quarter. The results may have been worse without other income.
  3. Debt has increased from 235 to 498 crores on a YoY basis. As indicated in the last post, the company will require cash flow from operations along with debt to modernize the fleet. The company has a cash equivalent of 27 crores as of March23.

It seems like the company may have to raise further debt if they need to buy any more ships.

Source: Earnings release

On a positive note, the company may not have to incur any dry-docking expenses soon.

At last, even though the debt has increased significantly. Interest expenses have not increased much. So we may see the effect of higher interest as well from next quarter.

4 Likes

sale of 2 vessels in jan and feb can also be a reason for lesser revenue and 3 new vessels added from current quater

Shreyas Shipping & Logistics Ltd’s promoter Transworld Holdings Ltd made a public announcement regarding delisting of Co from exchanges

Co to acquire all share held by public shareholders

price will be determined through reverse book building process

70.44% equity shares held by promoters

3 Likes

Very interesting development. There are no institutional investors or individual investors holding more than 1 % who could influence the delisting process. Book value per share is Rs. 373 as per screener.

Discl: Not invested

1 Like