Shivam27's Portfolio and Investment Journal

Hello everyone,

I am excited to share my portfolio on ValuePickr today. This forum and its wonderful members have significantly contributed to my growth as an investor, offering invaluable insights and learning opportunities. The journey has been incredibly transformative, with a steep learning curve. Here it goes:

Overarching Philosophy: Growth with a bit (preferably a lot) of Margin of Safety

Strategies

• Quality + Growth
  • Mean Reversion - > Quality business trading at dirt cheap valuations due to the act of god / cyclicality of the industries
  • Margin of Safety / Deep Value - > Valuations so cheap, that minute improvements = share price movements
  • Special Situations - > Demergers / Mergers where value unlocking potential is there.

The Framework

• The company should belong to the sunrise industry OR aligning with Macro trends.
  • Competitive Advantage - Quantitatively (constant/rising margins, balance sheet ratios, FCF generating) + Qualitatively. (pricing power, IP based, first mover advantage, Porterā€™s 5 forces)
  • Market Cap >1000. Probability of finding mirrors increases (than just ā€˜hopefulsā€™).
  • Look for:
    • Margin of Safety by playing on:
      • Pessimism
      • Distressed valuations
      • Sector out of favor
      • Turnaround etc.
    • NPM Expansion
      • Product mix change , geographic expansion
      • Operating leverage kicking in
      • Debt repayment
      • Industry outlook turning positive
    • Special Situations:
      • Demerger/Merger
      • Rights Issue
  • Management quality should be impeccable. They should know what theyā€™re doing ā†’ Capital Allocation.
  • Return on Capital (ROIC, ROCE,ROE) should be on a rising trajectory.

Fact: Companies making <10% ROE in 2003 compounded at 80-90% CAGR in subsequent 5 years. This was supported by earnings growth (low ROE ā†’ high ROE + EPS growth)

Having all these characteristics means that the stock wouldnā€™t be necessarily undiscovered. But stick to valuations and do not overpay. There will always be some exceptions in the portfolio. Being rigid in anything hasnā€™t done anyone any good. :slight_smile:

Positioning Sizing is strictly based on my understanding of the business and the conviction I have.

Current Portfolio:

Instrument Allocation (%) Net chg. (%) Holding Period
AZAD 5.96 -1.81 < 1 month
CONFIPET 8.76 19.24 4 Years (Averaged Up)
ETHOSLTD 11.78 55.96 1.5 years (Averaged Up)
HDFCBANK 6.07 55.14 4 Years (Averaged Up)
HINDOILEXP 9.74 12.06 5 Months
MAHABANK 3.12 148.03 1.5 Years (Averaged Up)
NSLNISP 7.51 24.15 1.5 Years (Demerged, Avg Down)
PERSISTENT 3.72 1118.5 4 Years
POWERGRID 9.80 79 2.5 Years (Averaged Up)
SBFC 7.28 3.7 2 Months
SEAMECLTD 9.29 5.22 2 Months
TEGA 10.83 26.21 9 Months
TRACXN 6.13 -17.32 6 Months
Stock Investment Rationale
AZAD An exception to the framework given its lofty valuation. But Iā€™m betting on their brave approach towards manufacturing and playing a huge role in the critical technology in the defense sector in the times to come under the atma-nirbhar Bharat theme. Security soverignity will be a key theme in Modi 3.0. Azad recently received an order from GTRE/DRDO for engines. First time they have received such critical order where they will not only manufacture sub-components but also assemble an entire engine.
CONFIPET Have been averaging up (since Rs. 20/share) on this counter due to the promoterā€™s pedigree and execution. CNG and recent partnershp with worlds largest VLGC Fleet BW LPG will lead to strong growth. Riding the rising trend of ROEs in the yers to come. A long term bet.
ETHOSLTD Premiumisation play - Megatrend. Store additions, increase in SSSG and ROCE are key triggers. Their acquisition of Favre Leuba will also provide a huge optionality moving forward as their in-house brand. India-Swiss FTA will also lead to margin expansion.
HDFCBANK Have reduced my holding by more than half in the last 2 years. Sold recently too. But will hold on to the remaining quantities of share. It has underperformed and will mean revert eventually.
HINDOILEXP Pure mean reversion play with multiple near term triggers (Check Historical PE). 1. Dirock getting connected to the national grid. 2. B80 - D1 Well being fully operational - TBC in Q4 concall and 3. Global geopolitics will keep oil and gas prices elevated in times to come.
MAHABANK Low investment at right time when PSU Banks had just started doing well. Improving all the important metrics YoY, QoQ. Building into a strong franchise and regret not being aggressive in adding this stock.
NSLNISP Recently only sold my entire position in NMDC after a good run. Holding on to NMDC Steel due to 1. Business turning profitable shortly as soon as op. leverage kicks in 2. Raw material at cheap rates from NMDC 3. Disinvestment and acquisition by a Private player.
PERSISTENT Riding my winner. Company has proved to be agile and muscled its way into the big boy club. Will hold on to it for the long term.
POWERGRID Everyone talks about Power, Energy and Renewables but all of this is nothing without transmission. A near monopoly which is only going to play an even more of an important role as India increases is power generating capacity. Its telecom segment is growing fast and not many are talking about it. See this as a consistent compounder which also pays out hefty dividends. Have been buying regularly on falls but allocation stands complete at this point.
SBFC Aseem Dhru. Thatā€™s the thesis. SBFC is a secured lender in the micro-finance space growing cautiously in a severely underpenetrated fast growing 5 lakh to 30 lakh ticket size segment. A way an NBFC should. A long term bet.
SEAMECLTD SEAMEC has the biggest fleet of high margin DSVs in the region and has recently entered into long term contracts at higher prices. Also, participating in a rising ROE/ROCE journey. Promoters have good capital allocation skills as they didnā€™t invest heavily like other players during the boom. There is a huge demand supply mismatch now which will remain as we enter into a 'super cycle as per many ship brokers. This is also an ancillary theme to Oil and Gas/Energy as a lot of subsea activity is anticipated in the times to come. ONGC has $11bn for offshore activities.
TEGA Critical Minerals like Lithium are going to be play a central role in the times to come. Tega helps us play this theme as its operations in Chile, which has one of the largest lithium reserves, are likely to commence in the next FY. Also, the fact that its DynaPrime can disrupt the mill liner segment globally opening up a huge market share for them. High switching costs and recurring revenue along with the recent acquistion of McNally Sayaji make Tega a very attractive play for the next 3 -5 years.
TRACXN Another exception - optically atleast, based on the high valuations. But Iā€™m looking at this as a free cashflow generating business with a strong operating leverage given its business model. Weā€™re currently in a down cycle but with interest rates more or less peaked in the US and in India, we can see a pick up in their business in the next 2-3 quarters. Promoters seem sound and with their background (ex-Copal, IIT), we can expect them to deliver. It will test patience, but looking at this for the long term.

I will only sell if I think that my thesis is broken or if I find a better story elsewhere or if I think that it is better to have some cash to make the most of any potential market fall (when things are really overvalued or thereā€™s a major uncertainty around to knock off the markets like central elections)

Iā€™m currently sitting on 10% cash. I would love to know your feedback and thoughts on my portfolio and strategy.

I will be using this as my digital diary to chronicle my journey in my personal investment journey.

12 Likes

How do you tackle the problem of businesses with high valns and almost non existent cash flows ? Azad for eg. has generated cumulatively 9 cr of cash flow vs 280 cr of cumulative ebitda. This is not just related to Azad, I am struggling at the same issue. There are high chances of dilution and leveragingā€¦ I am invested in zaggle which has the same issue but I am comfortable cause the scalability may not be a challenge as itā€™s a saas type biz . But when it comes to capital intensive cos with cash flow issues where orders can get delayed, capacities can take time to ramp up, how do you deal with that? Is excess debt on bs/dilution an exit trigger in these cases ? Thanks for sharing your pf and thesis behind your stocks.

1 Like

Hi Shubham.

Just to give a further color on my thesis, Azad Engineering currently operates four advanced manufacturing facilities in Hyderabad, Telangana, India, boasting the capability to produce high precision forged and machined components across approximately 20,000 square meters of total manufacturing space. Additionally, the company has two upcoming manufacturing facilities planned in Telangana, which will be 10x their capacity in the time to come.

The important thing to note here is that these new facilities are intended to be financed through internal accruals. In light of the negative operating cash flow generation, it will surely be a key monitorable as and when capital is to be employed for these expansions.

For the first phase of expansion starting FY25, Azad has already set aside Rs. 120 Crore from the IPO proceeds. The proposed manufacturing facility is expected to feature a dedicated manufacturing / production line catering exclusively to specific customers. This is huge in terms of running efficient operations, while also compressing your working capital cycle.

The important thing to note here is that it is because of the stringent qualification process (might take 3-4 years to get qualified) for each of their highly critical products that their cash flow from operations are negative at this stage. Quality tests and spares leads to high build up of inventory.

Azad also intends to augment their facilities by undertaking inorganic acquisitions to enhance their manufacturing facilities and provide value-added services adjacent to their business.

Azad has already set-up a subsidiary of a recent acquisition which will help in reducing its dependency on 3rd parties as it will cater to captive requirements while also serving other OEMs. This will again help in reducing the inventory built up.

The capacity is optimally being utilized at about 80-85% capacity, Azad has over delivered on its topline growth in FY24. Utilizing the same operating capacity and further optimizing on its efficiency, and with ~Rs. 3200 Crore order book (Rs. 1700 from A&D and Rs. 1500 from Energy/Oil & Gas) sealed, the management is confident of delivering a 25-30% of topline growth and ~30-35% EBITDA growth with ~35% OPM in FY25.

It is evident from the management commentary that the IPO proceeds have helped tremendously in strengthening their balance sheet and its utilization in further capex will result in FY26 to be an inflection point for Azad where they can even outpace their current run-rate of ~30-35% topline growth. Moreover, they plan to further deleverage their balance sheet in FY25.

With product mix shifting towards high value added adjacencies and interest cost coming down, we might see an increase in the EPS of the company from FY26 onwards.

Add into it the matter of working capital normalizing, Azadā€™s return on capital will gradually increase sequentially in the time to come. However, a company which is bleeding cash flow at operating level and trading at such high valuations can be optically repulsive to investors and understandably so.

But a business which is commanding gross margins of 82-87% and has an unconventional knack of only targeting complex and critical products is surely to be looked at with an interest. More so, when the Total Addressable Market is $28bn and growing. Though Azad currently might have only 1% of the wallet share of this market, any incremental increase of 100-200 bps in market share will be a huge topline turner.

The company in its latest GTRE/DRDO order win said ā€œBy entering the production of complete gas turbines, AZAD is set to play a more integral role in Indiaā€™s defense sector manufacturing capabilities, enhancing self-reliance Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Jiā€™s vision of ā€œAtma Nirbhar Bharatā€. Well ,such companies are refreshing, especially as the company and its promoters are young and hungry for nation-building. So there is a bit of sentimentality also attached here, I wonā€™t lie.

The world order is changing and global supply chains are in a flux. Bharat needs to seize the moment. Itā€™s now or never, and companies like Azad are showing courage and confidence. Itā€™s about time we started ā€˜building and manufacturingā€™ things and not rely on imports. There are second order effects of this which will help us in the long run but none will be as consequential than what Krishna espouses in Gita.

PS. @protosphinx is a huge proponent of manufacturing in India.

Source: X/ @protosphinx

P.S Iā€™m coming up with a blog on this shortly too!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the detailed answerā€¦ the dedicated capacities in case of Azad remind me of innovator pharma CDMOs where customer pays upfront in some cases, partially funding for their dedicated facilitiesā€¦ looking ahead to having such discussions thanks