Selecting a broker

A family member wants to open a trading account. Discount broking is preferred.
Any suggestions for one with lifetime free demat as well?

The ones advertising open free demat - do they still have AMC charges every year or it is lifetime free?

1 Like

With HDFC Securities, I see they have prepaid plans

For Rs. 1,00,000 - the effective equity delivery brokerage within the period is 0.07% with 360 days validity. Post-validity brokerage is stated as 0.15%.

So post-validity (1 year) are we locked in 0.15%?
I suspect they will not give that discounted ā€œpost-validityā€ rate after 360 days and/or the post-validity discounted brokerage is only applicable within the year (after the free volume is done).

Anyone knows?

Why to pay more to hdfc or any broker. Many other online brokers are charging flat 10 rs or 20 rs. better to trade with them like 5 paisa or zerodha

I prefer positional trades and long term holdings under bank brokers. Short term(1week to 1 month) swing trades - Zerodha maybe. Just how my mind works, I might come out of this narrow thinking soon :slight_smile:

My question stands. If any HDFC securities clients know the answer, kindly chime in.

Just for info, bank broker or online safety is same. Especially after recent otp based delivery and pledge system their is no risk . Only thing is usually avoide large credit with any broker if one is worried.

1 Like

Angel Broking is good.
Accounting opening is free. 1st year AMC is free. 2nd year onwards AMC is 500rs/year.
Or 2500 rs for lifetime AMC charges.

Disc: Iā€™m a subbroker with Angel.

So basically for 360 days, you will get 0.07% brokerage. Letā€™s say in 360 days your brokerage is Rs 10k (at 0.07% brokerage), then from the 361st day you will get a 0.15% brokerage rate for the remaining (Rs 1L - 10k = 90k) Rs 90,000. Once you use up the remaining amount, youā€™ll have to top up again.

Be careful about the auto-renewal policy of such advance brokerage plans. Sometimes they top-up without intimation. And sometimes they might even leave your account in debit! I have seen this happen lol

1 Like

The wording on the details page makes it sound as if the post-validity brokerage is for life?
https://www.hdfcsec.com/consentproducttracking/index/66126

1. Free Equity Delivery based volume of Rs. 12 crores, with a validity of 360 calendar days

2. Discounted Delivery brokerage rate of 0.15% post utilization of free volume or completion of validity period of 360 days.

Does Angel Broking offer Easiest facility of CDSL? What are the brokerage charges for delivery based transactions? Cost of market/off market Demat Debits for securities. I left a message at Angel website for call back. Sales person who called back was not aware of these things.

Angel Broking does offer CDSL Easiest.
Brokerage charges can be free to 0.03% and above for equity delivery.
Off market debit charges are Rs 25 or 0.045% (whichever is higher) if Iā€™m not wrong. Customer care guys should be able to help you with it.

Yeah the wording does sound off.
Thereā€™s no such thing as free delivery brokerage in a full service broker XD

12cr volume at ~0.08% should exhaust your Rs 1L advance brokerage.
So the offer is: "Weā€™ll give you 0.08% delivery brokerage for 360 days. Post which weā€™ll double your brokerage to 0.15%. You can take however long you want to use up the brokerage remaining in your ā€œbrokerage walletā€.

5 paisa charges flat 10 or 20 rs for any value of trade and cdsl charges are 12 rs.

Just spoke to Angel employee. Your off market brokerage is the same as your on market brokerage. Same goes with your demat debit charges.

Thanks. Is eDIS also implemented. Is Power of Attorney is necessary?

No POA is not necessary.
Yes eDis is available on almost all brokers, including Angel

where did you settle? Did your study cover aspects e.g. pricing / services / margin against pledge / easy to use app / safety of funds. If you have any data specific to discount brokers, kindly share.

Never believe HDFC Sec plans. After the limit is crossed they put you on 0.5% brokerage and story repeats. When I opened my account I have taken such a plan and max they reduced to 0.4%

1 Like

best broker i found are online broker like zerodha, 5 paisa , india info etc. they are very competative . poa is not compulsory in many online broker .
every broker has some positive or negative so my experiance is always keep two brokers .

How do you rate them on Margin against pledge?

Heard that zerodha doesnā€™t provide for delivery / NRML. Any idea about others?

Reliance Sec provides margin for delivery / NRML / MIS, so effectively you donā€™t keep any cash with them & do your tradeā€¦ for delivery / NRML converted to delivery, you pay cash on t+2

5paisa gives margin for delivery and trade , i keep even liquidbess as margin .margin pledge system is very easy and online