Sansera Engineering

@abhishek_sinha quite a detailed note; wrt MMRFIC <> Sansera, one item i am not able to get a handle on is what does Sansera bring to the table for MMRFIC;

Sansera’s competency is forging, machining of parts, while MMRFIC products are more fabrication led which has no overlap with Sansera’s core expertise;

so Sansera’s value add is not clear; it can connect MMRFIC with customers but thats the max it can do; it can’t add anything to the R&D, nor support in manufacturing (atleast till now), may be play some part in integrating the components for the A&D clients that MMRFIC brings/wins, is it that much only?

Any idea?

1 Like

The Radar systems can be used in the automotive segment. TI sells these to all the top automotive players in the world. Being an insider (I work at TI) I know how much sought after such tech is.

3 Likes

Thats exactly the question, Sansera doesnt have any expertise in manufacturing of radar, and may be lack of knowledge, I am assuming that the base materials would be more semiconductors than pure Steel or Al metals (where Sansera has forging and machining skills); so what is the value add that Sansera brings to the acquisition apart from existing relations is not clear.

As MMRFIC starts manufacturing these products, would Sansera get into manufacturing of these products (if yes then a big +ve), or would the company end up O/S it to some one else (then the benefits of manufacturing and value addition would not accure to Sansera)

@Ashutosh_Sancheti can you provide inputs on what goes into manufacturing of these Radars, are these metal based or more semi-conductor based, and do you see Sansera having existing capabilities to manufacture these products

2 Likes

Hey. I second your thoughts, and this remains an evolving piece. Considering the sum they paid, the acquisition appears to be a masterful move. However, what SEL does with this entity will be a key monitorable.

Based on some reading, I have found certain possibilities, albeit with a limited understanding of sensors and mechanical integration.

1. Mechanical Integration and Customization:
    SEL can manufacture sturdy housings/enclosures to protect radar sensors from tough conditions. They could also help with thermal dissipation and create custom mounts, brackets, and frames. I am uncertain about the extent to which this will require precise engineering.

2. Durability/Robustness and Cost-Effectiveness:
    Using their expertise in forged and machined parts, SEL can make components that handle vibrations, shocks, and temperature changes, ensuring the radar systems are reliable for the long term. They could also help in reducing costs through efficient manufacturing operations.

3. Regulatory/compliance support:
    SEL’s deep understanding of automotive standards could accelerate commercialization/acceptance.

4. Integration with Vehicle Systems:
    SEL can help precisely machine parts that connect MMRFIC’s mmWave radar systems with other vehicle systems, like braking, steering, and infotainment, for smooth integration.

These are Semiconductor products. Sansera doesn’t have any offering in terms of expertise (tbh there would be handful companies who can offer any kind of expertise in our country). As long as management of Sansera understands that they don’t have the knowledge to take technical decisions and leave the running to the professionals, it is best thing.

Setup of manufacturing of semiconductor chips is close to impossible for Sansera. It can setup specialized manufacturing of COTS solutions for RF & mmWave products which would be at a much higher level of expertise compared to what let’s say Dixon is manufacturing. Even if it outsources the manufacturing, the majority of the value add would remain with MMRFIC as the IP carries value here. MMRFIC’s products are of MIL standards and not commodity products.

Semiconductor and PCB based, COTS solutions.

3 Likes