Rahul Kumar's Portfolio Review: Stock Market Investment Journey

Rahul Kumar’s Stock Market Investment Journey:

Year 2015: Intraday Trading

• started investment journey in 2015 with intraday trading, trying to capitalize on short-term price movements in the stock market.

Year 2016/17: Option Buying

• I shifted to option buying, possibly attracted by the leverage and potential for substantial gains. However, later realized that option buying had limited prospects.

Year 2017/19: Selling Options with Hedging

• This approach involves collecting premiums by selling options (naked or covered) while managing risks through hedging positions. I learned various hedging strategies.

Year 2018-2023: Focusing on Investing

• I found selling options with hedging strategies to be profitable but time-consuming, especially alongside a full-time job. Thus, I decided to shift 100% of my investments into a more passive investing approach, which I have been doing since 2018.

Portfolio Overview (as of the current date, 2023):
I highly value the insights and opinions of the knowledgeable members of this forum. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare some time to review my portfolio and provide any suggestions or recommendations.

Symbol Allocation
AARTIIND 3%
AAVAS 2.5%
AFFLE 2.5%
APCOTEXIND 1.6%
ASIANPAINT 3%
BALKRISIND 4%
CAMPUS 3.5%
CLEAN 3.5%
DEEPAKNTR 4.2%
DIVISLAB 2%
DMART 8.5%
FINEORG 3.5%
HDFCBANK 8%
HINDUNILVR 5%
HNDFDS 3%
JUBLFOOD 3%
JYOTIRES 3%
LTIM 1.5%
LTTS 3%
LUXIND 1.5%
MAFANG 3%
MON100-E 9%
MTARTECH 2.5%
PARAS 2%
RAJESHEXPO 1.5%
RAJRATAN 1.5%
REFEX 4.2%
SIGACHI 2.5%
SONACOMS 1.5%
SUPRAJIT 2%
TCS 7.5%

I’ve chosen to invest in large-cap stocks due to their lower risk profile as I aim to minimize volatility. At the same time, I’m actively exploring opportunities in the small-cap segment.

I highly value the insights and opinions of the knowledgeable members of this forum. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare some time to review my portfolio and provide any suggestions or recommendations.

3 Likes

I would prefer not to invest in Rajesh Exports.

Reasons not to invest:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2iyEbCZo8
  2. I have seen owner of the company keeps appearing on Bibek Bindra channel and promoting the stock.
  3. Low OPM

Reasons to invest

1. Technical charts point it is near the bottom and could give an uptrend as per the history
  2. Largest refinery of the world in Switzerland
3 Likes

Thank you for your review.

Indeed, in Rajesh Export, the operating profit margin (OPM) stands at a meager ~1%.
Reasons for My Trade (! Investment)

1. I decided to invest in Rajesh Export based on its attractive valuation and the upcoming festive season.
  2. Although there has been a slight increase in public holding recently, the overall public ownership remains relatively low.
    3. I believe that the potential downside may be constrained.
  3. as you already mentioned Largest refinery of the world in Switzerland

Exit Plan: I’m currently awaiting the September quarter results, and my decision to continue or exit will be contingent upon the outcome of these results.

Exited Rajesh Exports just after the result, “Rajesh Exports experienced a departure, resulting in a decrease in both top-line and bottom-line figures”

I was looking for the cash-flow statement I didn’t find it and the result was also bad so sold it immediately, I found it in the news
“The company, which reported a turnover of ₹3.4 lakh crore for FY23, failed to disclose its half-year cash-flow statement and proper audit report alongside the quarterly results for the period ending September 2023 , as required by Sebi regulations.”

1 Like

Great to hear that. What companies in your portfolio do you think can give multibagger returns in the long term?
I believe they’d be? MTARTECH, Paras, SonaComs, FineOrg, Clean Science & Tech, AartiInd

1 Like

JYOTIRES, PARAS, REFEX already.

other than this AFFLE, CLEAN, FINEORG, HNDFDS, SONACOMS, MTARTECH, LTTS, SIGACHI out of these 8 I am expecting 4 may give multi-bagger returns, even if it took 10/15 years for 5x I am ok with that.

Note: following Qtr results closely, if any of my stocks did not perform well or for any other reason I can exit from those, and if possible I’ll update here.

I am following a few more stocks closely, if I get a conviction on those I’ll update here.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation; please conduct your own research before investing.

1 Like

Will you keep doing SIP in these stocks, as you earn more and have more capital?
How will you decide which stocks to put money into. Is it going to be which have dipped in the short term, but showing signs of recovery
Or is it going to be the ones who have already increased?

In case you have to add a new stock to your portfoliio, how will you decide which one to remove

To remove : continuous bad results, and any type of fraud, mostly based on results only for mid-caps, for small caps it required continuous monitoring as so many factors need to be taken care of.

I use this for averaging, as before entering I decide how much of the total portfolio I’ll locate in a particular stock(later based on results i may change) and this strategy helps me to do average with support levels.

MON100-Etf - (9% allocation of PF, 35.5% profit)

Why I invested: The narrative is straightforward: the majority of innovation, both present and future, is expected to be showcased on Nasdaq. In my view, Nasdaq stands out as the premier global index, boasting a remarkable 15-year Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 15%. Personally, I believe that including Nasdaq in my portfolio is essential for hedging against technological disruptions. Furthermore, it serves as a safeguard against rupee depreciation.

2 Likes

True! This is by far the best option i have seen for rupee hedge and our itch for US stock investing :wink: (With no exit load and minimal 0.6% expense ratio) It also avoids me in opening another US demat account.

1 Like

MAFANG ETF and MON100Etf

Why I invested:
Investing in MAFANG and MON100 has provided me with well-diversified global exposure. Both portfolios are currently yielding decent profits, reflecting the success of my investment strategy. Including prominent tech giants from MAFANG and the diverse range of industries represented in MON100 has contributed to the overall positive performance. I am pleased with the results and optimistic about the continued growth of these investments with a CAGR of 15%

Whats your thesis on Refex industries from here?

Core focus of Refex Industries Limited (RIL) on the production and re-filling of Refrigerant gases in India. As a specialized manufacturer, they are in the development of environmentally friendly gases that serve as alternatives to Chloro-fluoro-carbons (CFC’s).

Within the expansive Refex Group, the company diversifies its operations across various sectors. In addition to its primary involvement in the Refrigerant gas domain, Refex Group actively engages in Renewable Energy, Medical Imaging, Pharmaceuticals, Power Trading, Venture Capital, Electric Vehicles, and Airports Retail. The group’s commitment extends to areas such as Refex Refrigerants and Refex Ash & Coal Handling.

I have had this stock for a long time, I am ready to hold it for the long term as the company is trying to expand its business if it succeeds and it reflects in top-line growth sooner or later it will also reflect in profit also.

1 Like

Portfolio Update: Exiting from PARAS Defense, a holding since the IPO, and considering a shift to other defense stocks (like IdeaForge or Data Pattern) due to stagnant top-line growth over several quarters. The decision is motivated by the availability of alternative companies with more attractive valuations in the defense sector.