Price Tracker for Various Chemicals, Commodities and Metals

Honestly, I don’t see how/why crude should affect caustic soda (sodium hydroxide or NaOH) prices. Caustic Soda should be made by electrolysis of Sodium Chloride solution (NaCl) which is nothing but salt solution (common salt). This process should produce caustic soda and chlorine. I presume this is the primary way of producing caustic soda used by chlor-alkali businesses like DCM Shriram and Guj Alkali etc. So I don’t see any linkage to crude price in this process. The historic prices as well bear no linkage. See this.

22%20PM

My chemistry knowledge is from high school, so please take it with a pinch of salt (see what I did there?). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @phreakv6

Another website I use to track commodity prices is

However for last couple of days its not working. Data till last month is attached. However this is International price data so prices may differ from India slightly.

Sunsir-Nov-2018.xlsx (37.9 KB)

You are right caustic soda is made from salt. But what response i got from chemical market that not only caustic but major chemicals are down due to crude and dollor rate down.
I didn’t tried to corelate relation. But may be some collateral damage of other chemical going down.
That’s why I posted we must find some source for price update.

I check that website too some times but it’s price are of their country and it’s not my cup of tea to calculate landing price here.so i just check it for reference that it goes up or down

It looks like ADD was removed on Caustic soda recently

http://www.dgtr.gov.in/sites/default/files/Final_Finding_NCV.pdf

“After examining the submissions made and issues raised, and considering the facts available on record, the Authority concludes that though the product under consideration 44 has been exported to India from the subject countries below the normal value, it can be seen that the overall health of the domestic industry has improved. The domestic industry has withstood the increased imports from other countries, which were previously subjected to anti-dumping duties and has performed positively despite the same. The information on record does not show any likelihood of recurrence of injury to the domestic industry in the event of revocation of duty from the subject countries.”

“Therefore, the Authority does not recommend continuation of the anti-dumping duty on the imports of subject goods from the subject countries and hereby recommends discontinuance of the ADD levied on the PUC vide Customs Notification No. 55/2017 – Customs (ADD) dated 24 November, 2017.”

And consequently we are seeing imports of Caustic Soda at prices of Rs.32! See the spike in imports in September post the removal on anti-dumping duty.

https://phreakonomics.in/export-import/micro-individual?type=imports&hscode_commodity=1300&startDate=2000-04-01&endDate=2018-12-01&currency=inr&consolidation=month

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response . Is this 32 is landed cost ? With duty or without ?

This is a crucial info and didn’t appear in any of the related company threads. That could be the reason for slump in related company prices inspite of decent quaterly numbers.

That’s why I got price range of 38 -40 from market. But is this 32 is with duty or without duty ?

But now we will have to keep close watch the price as how much import takes place

Hi @phreakv6

Is it possible to do this page by realisation, I think currently its on total value

https://phreakonomics.in/export-import/current-individual

@zoro99

Dear Sir,

Requesting you to please share the latest updated chemical price tracker.

Thanks

Attached herewith for you mate prices.xlsx (159.4 KB)

If they are from adinath petro then they maybe misleading. Your excel sheet shows caustic price as 52 but present price is 38-40. So please double check else it will show wrong picture of company.

They are from adinathpetro
where did you get 38-40 - I am not disputing your figure but if I know where to pick it from, going forward I can do from there instead of adinath petro

I talked to friend in chemical market . I get price from him as I only track caustic. But price is correct.
Many times I search google news for caustic.
https://www.businesstoday.in/pti-feed/chemical-prices-end-flat-in-thin-trade/story/295302.html

Their price are of wholesale market and so I give some discount to get fair price.

when october data for caustic import comes ? eagarly waiting to know how much imported in oct. sept increase was just one time event ? as from oct govt has made BSI certificate compulsory . and it takes min 6 months to get certificate so they have dumped more in sept ?.due to certificat , import from japan has stopped presently and international price is down.
so waiting for ADD effect also in oct data…

One hardly invests for 6 months
If it takes 6 months to get a certificate eventually they will get it but good to know
It’s these intricacies which make it important to know your industry really well before investing

Yes, this is definitely coming soon. Tailwinds are easier to identify when realisations spike which shows supply shortage or demand increase. I intend to provide a toggle between Volume, Value and Realisation trends

in sept caustic import was of 100 cr approx and export in the same month was 60 cr approx. oct month import has come down so i am confused about effect of ADD on caustic soda price…

Today I had attended AGM of tgv sraac. Company told price of caustic had gone down to 35000 and today again has jumped back to 40 k .
They said their is some quality issue in import and so many shipments are stuck at port.

1 Like