Portfolio re-alingment

Below is my detailed stock portfolio which comprises of 55% of total capital, the rest of my capital is in Bank Fixed Deposits (yes I know its too much of FDs given that I am 28 years old!). I am a conservative investor by nature and strongly believe in margin of safety. Investing in the markets for the last 4+ years and none of the years I have lost money (nor have I made great money!). I am a believer in Warren's Buffet investment philosophy, but occasionally turn to the concept of "borrowed conviction" for the simple reason that their analysis/competence super-seeds mine - likes of Sanjay Bakshi, Basant Maheshwari etc. ( Yes, I know borrowed conviction is dangerous!)

Help needed:

1) My returns on the stock portfolio haven't been great inspite of the bull market primarily due to being conservative. I have invested substantial part of my portolio in Piramal Enterprises which I believe is a story to be told for the next 10-15 years! or even more. I am extremely comfortable holding this position

2) I have 20 stocks in my portfolio, and I need to 2 brains to keep a track of this. Want suggestion to trim it down

3) How much % capital should be invested in equities. My liabilities ahead are two marriages in the family :)

Name CMP Buy price % Comments
PEL 848.00 659 ## - Betting on Ajay Piramal and his capital allocation skill
ASHIANA 180.15 99 ## - A standout Real estate company with miles to grow ahead
SUNPHARMA 914.00 328 8% - Pharma bellweather, standard 20-25% CAGR stock
TATAMTRDVR 328.60 143 8% - Betting on JLR story
KRBL 99.15 94 6% - Enormous potential in the organized basmati rice market
TCS 2,584.00 1,110 5% - Tech bellweather, reduces beta on my portfolio; more to protect the downside
Repco Home 537.00 485 5% - Huge opportunity in the Housing Finance market, especially in tier 2/3 cities
OFSS 3,333.60 3985 4% Acquired for dividend stripping scenario, currently not sure what to do with the stock
BRITANNIA 1,530.00 495 3% - Consumer demand play, considering adding more
LICHSGFIN 381.00 250 3% - Housing finance bellweather; betting since the last 3 years
ITC 355.65 331 3% - Consumer bellweather, reduces beta on my portfolio; more to protect the downside
GRUH 238.00 188 2% - Huge opportunity in the Housing Finance market, especially in tier 2/3 cities
DIVISLAB 1,719.00 830 2% - Acquired on borrowed conviction as I do not understand the business. Not sure what to do with this
LT 1,653.50 1,100 2% - infra bellweather, reduces beta on my portfolio; more to protect the downside
AXISBANK 467.85 242 1% - banking bellweather, likely to sell
SRTRANSFIN 1,051.00 1,000 1% - Sole Debunture in the portfolio with <1 year to maturity
POWERGRID 144.35 86 1% - More like a FD in the portfolio
CIPLA 664.00 310 1% - Acquired on borrowed conviction as I do not understand the business. Not sure what to do with this
L&TFH 70.60 56 0% - Acquired in IPO
HDFC 1,095.45 710 0% NA

Views/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Come on guys, buck up!

Comments would be highly appreciated!

PS: My % holding in Piramal Enterprises is 31% and Ashiana Housing is 14% of my portfolio.

Since you have just 1 brain, I would suggest that you get rid of all holdings below 5%, taking care of tax liabilities in order not to incur STCG tax where appropriate. Instead of putting 45% in FDs, you could put that in HDFC Bank/Gruh and Sunpharma for comfort; you already have them in portfolio. If that also doesn’t feel comfortable, put some portion in dividend yielding stocks like Noida Toll Bridge Co., Accelya Kale Solutions or SJVN.

You are holding lot of defensives in your portfolio.

I think hold on to more aggressive stock when your are already holding a Defensive in same sector.

As far as my suggestion will go I will suggest you to get rid of these-

L&T fin, L&T, ITC (Hold to Britannia),DIVISLAB, HDFC, CIPLA.

I have the following comments to make on your portfolio:

a) Get rid of any holding below 5%. It does not make sense to invest time in tracking such holdings. I am not sure how does AxisBank or ITC or LT bring stability to your portfolio with such small allocations. From a mindset perspective these could still be a way for holding cash for short periods while looking to take starting position in new ideas.

b) How much ever we may like Buffet or Piramal but one needs to understand that with such large capital a 15% to 25% for Mr. Piramal is a done deal. Some of the recent deals (Vodafone) proves the same. Further his investments in infrastructure(BOT) should hardly give him more than 20% . If you are satisfied with such returns good but I think with smaller capital and more application you can find better companies, also, it is a much more satisfying exercise.

c) Coming to beta I do not have much respect for beta. I think it is a conjured up thing for risk assessment by economists when they could not find anything objective for risk measurement. An understanding of the company/business probably helps much more. You should take a look at the erstwhile VP portfolio which performed much better even when the entire market was going haywire almost a year ago (L&T, Axis bank and others provided no protection).