Portfolio for next 10-15 years - Starting now (Jan-Feb 2021)

Index funds are recommended for one who are not good in direct stock investing. so can not compare the returns with direct stock investing.

Yes Valuation matters, but some strong companies defy this for say 10/20/30 years. Take example of Pidilite which mostly trading >40 P/E, >8 P/B from last 15 years with >25% return. Identifying such companies is one part and patiently holding with ups/downs is another skill.

Another case : Rakesh jhunjhunwala and several other ACE investors bought Titan those days. But how many able to hold that today with patience and conviction.?

All these examples are small companies 15 years back. so they created wealth.

Some one with ability to enter & exit at right time based on valuation is an art and many can not do that. my perspective ,you can paly with Large well known stocks with this strategy as they typically will not grow too much and there are periods of opportunity, low risk , drawdowns are low.
where as small/micro & to some extent midcaps - you need to hold for long to create wealth.

1 Like

Hi @Brajesh_Nandan_Jha

All new joinees (Intern as well as Engineers) in Qualcomm India were given Laptop Bag (Small), Water Bottle and small speaker which were manufactured by Swiss Military 6-7 months ago.
The product quality was sub par and no one I know of is using these product currently including me.

2 Likes

Sir, I am pleased to read you. I also ordered some of its product like military speaker, portable rechargeable vaccum cleaner. It solved my purpose with style. Watching swiss millitary reports very closely. Working on very thin margin to exist in market. Disclosure-Having tracking position.

While I have been active in the markets and lurking here, havenā€™t had anything significant to say. And portfolio has seen significant churning, so updates were difficult.

Portfolio allocation - It looks like the variation I am comfortable is - start with a zoo, lose the losers and add the winners, and the top ones stay as long as the charts stay good.

Have picked up a little technicals, basically to figure out when to sell. But it has come handy in putting a techno-funda approach to choosing the starting zoo.

Based on multiple rounds of this, current portfolio is as follows -

Instrument Allocation
IDFC 25
HBLPOWER 20
ITC 14
JWL 9
COALINDIA 9
BFUTILITIE 7
GENUSPOWER 6
ITDCEM 5
BHEL 3
BIRLACABLE 2

Quite possible may get trimmed further. At which point, I need to start looking for my next zoo.

Pulz Electronics, very recently added, doesnā€™t show up here yet. About 4% allocation.

Note - Almost 15% cash.

Note 2 - Net portfolio is at about 2x of capital invested over last 2.5 yrs. Would have been much better if I had sold better.

3 Likes

Portfolio got trimmed further. SMEs are also in. Allocation is also very skewed. But the high allocations look to have significant steam left. Thinking about it.

Instrument Allocation
IDFC 24
HBLPOWER 20
ITC 14
JWL 11
COALINDIA 9
ITDCEM 6
PHANTOMFX-SM 6
PULZ-SM 7
SGBMARCH30 3

Zoo is created. I manage my zoo through smallcase, so some bse stocks I want are out. again, thinking about it. Zoo changes at the blink of an eye. but for what its worth, here is the current zoo worth about 4% or portfolio.

GET&D, HCLTECH, BOMDYEING, TEJASNET, ADANIPORTS, SYNGENE, GRAVITA, RKFORGE, LAURUSLABS, IBULHSGFIN, SONACOMS, PRICOLLTD, TI, CONTROLPR, UGROCAP, PRAJIND, PCBL, GATI, SJVN, NAM-INDIA, GRANULES, MAZDOCK, SDBL, DEEPAKNI, FOODSIN, REDTAPE, PDSL, UJJIVANSFB, COCHINSHIP, PARAGMILK, SHBCLQ, SWSOLAR, BEL, INTELLECT, JYOTHYLAB, KAYNES, TATAPOWER, SCHNEIDER, USHAMART, DATAPATTNS, BAJAJHCARE, KALYANKJIL, SAREGAMA, AARTIIND, CCL, XPROINDIA, MAPMYINDIA, AAVAS, HDFCBANK, APLAPOLLO.

Cash at 10%.

hi blueā€¦

very aggressive portfolioā€¦

but donā€™t you think that high valuations of hbl, phantom and pulz is a concernā€¦

HBL - yes, but I am in good profit so I can hold.
Phantom - industry growing at 40-50%. lets see what happens.
Pulz - Own conviction buy after 2.5 years of observation. Quite illiquid. However, Iā€™ve mentioned the reasons behind the buy on the company thread. Plus it is consumer discretionary sector. very niche - Audio equipment and installation. If they make a mark, it can go places. Plan is to see till it lists on main board while tracking results. Again, lets see what happens.

Note, I may sell anytime without reporting back here. fyi.

Note 2 : May turn ITDC into a basket of 2/3 real estate/infra/epc firms. Still thinking.

1 Like