Portfolio for next 10-15 years - Starting now (Jan-Feb 2021)

Some of your picks are great man…keep the conviction and go about it. Increase your allocation slowly in IEX. I’m not great advisor but below is my thoughts

You have exposure to lot of mid and small caps…you can consider adding few large caps only at dips. I mean companies like hul, eicher, division etc…if you can make ur entry price correct I’m sure you can generate 18 % cagr.

Also what’s your investments I’m wondering say of it’s less than 30 lakhs …what % 1.59 allocation hold ??
Try to review again and trim the number of stocks. In my view you’re holding more number of stocks.

L.labs, cdsl, iex are extremely good, however
I’m really scared to your entey price in stocks like kilpest…avoid it will create turbulance any time

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I went through your portfolio as well. I think you and me are in very similar situations. I am a bit older (early 40s), but pretty much same everywhere else. Two kids, engineer, software architect, venturing out into direct investments for the first time after decades of just reading about stocks and stocks markets.

I understand your thinking about large caps but am planning a post (most probably today itself) which should address that question and a bit more around my portfolio structure and goals.

I think you will be able to relate.

About the exact amounts invested, I am not comfortable disclosing it on public forum, Hope you will understand.

3 Likes

Sure brother definitely I can understand. I wish u will have successful journey in stocks

Documenting my hits, misses and thinking on each of the stock in my holdings as well as watchlist - mostly for my own future self, but if it helps anyone, very good.

A short note on portfolio structure and goals first. It is ambitious. Goal is to double holdings every 3 years, excluding capital infusions. Is that crazy? - I have no idea, but the thing is If you are trying to go high, might as well aim for the moon. That way, even if you do 50% you are halfway there. If all you are doing is climbing a tree, a 50% will hardly be a 100m high, even for a tall tree.

Also, this is not all of my funds. This is just the bit I am trying to get ambitious about and am willing to take a few falls in the process. A good bit is parked in mutual funds and SIPs, which also are undergoing a bit of restructuring. For one, I am moving to direct funds. Also changing the funds in question. I find I prefer multi cap funds. If I am trusting the fund manager, might as well trust them completely. Why handicap them with small cap/mid cap/large cap constraints. Let them pick and choose and manage risks. Hence no cap specific funds. Looking to have all of my MF/SIP portfolio into the following set:

• Quant active - Different approach to stock picking.
  • Ppfas - Very respected, skin in the game. FANG exposure. I thought about US equity and decided that the only international equity I was interested in was the FANG set. So MOSL nasdaq/Edelweiss China FOFs got eliminated. Plus I honestly don’t like the governance model of China as a whole (national policy, international policy, relation with India, the party structure), so no China, thank you very much.
  • IPru tech - I have low exposure to IT in the portfolio. The few picks are very recent. This is quite intentional. I intend to let the IT sector be handled by a fund manager. In stocks like nazara, info-edge - I really don’t understand how the cash burn method leads to good businesses; in Affle, Indiamart, Happiest Minds, I don’t understand the current valuations, nor entry points. Thus my approach here is to let the fund manager do all of that, while gauging various risks and returns, entry points, exists etc much better than I can, while returning significant returns. Going by history, IPru tech is doing just fine on the returns front. Of course I am willing to add to any IT stocks if I see this worthwhile for a long term/infinite holding period and that is why thyrocare is on my watchlist. Expect to add Thyrocare and Pharmeasy when it lists, and wait for the merger (which imho, will be inevitable - no point in having two listed related businesses for a single entity).
  • Canara robeco equity hybrid - This is where I intend to park the funds which will be used for annual regular expenses. Insurance premiums etc. I am ok with a little risk, plus currently the India growth story is good, and the debt component provides some security. We’ll see how this plan goes.
  • Goldbees - self-explanatory I would think.

Additional note about large caps/blue chips/respected midcaps - Given current valuations, all large caps and blue chips, even some mid-caps are very highly valued. My watchlist here is - LTI, Berger, Bajaj Finserv, Kotak, Honeywell, Divis, Deepak Nitrite, Alkyl amine, PIInd, Page, PolyCab, GMM Pfaudler. So the consistent compounder theory is at risk on several counts.
Potential growth rate - What rate will it grow?
Pricing - What price to buy? When is that price going to happen?

I have had thoughts about starting a second separate portfolio which addresses large caps and some of the better mid-caps, but that’s maybe for later. For now just concentrating on my current portfolio and the MF restructure at the moment. Both are still very much works-in-progress and looks like they will keep me occupied till end of FY22 at least.

With that said, on to my direct holdings -

• RPPL-SM - Rajshree Polypack
    All info in the main thread provided generously by @Tar and @Sahil_vi.
    Holding term - Indefinite, May increase based on results and after migration to main board, but for now, no further adds.
    Mistake - Took too long to jump in. Could have gotten in lower.

• LAURUSLABS
    Again, not much to day here. Will look to accumulate on every dip. Impeccable on all respects, performance, management, growth runway, execution.
    Holding term - Indefinite.

• CDSL-BE
    Got lucky here. Did not make the mistake of waiting too long. Did average up though, which is why current profit margin is relatively low. Hit 300% returns at one point. As of now, though I am wondering about whether to continue to hold or trim my position. While growth will be there, I am wondering about the quantum of growth given the crazy run-up.
    Also a platform business.
    Holding Term - Medium. Trimming looks likely. If prices get to the right point, will probably withdraw initial capital. Rest will be free and probably stay indefinitely.

• ITC
    Best resource for understanding the rationale behind ITC is to go through @malkd’s portfolio thread. This is my bet for wealth creation, if not for me, then my kids for sure. It will probably be a drag on the overall portfolio but I am ok with that. Will be accumulating till I retire/as long as it is cheap. Except for hotels, am hoping that they don’t demerge out any other firms in the short term though like ITC infotech, ITC agritech etc. That would be a bummer.
    Holding Term - Indefinite.

• RACLGEAR
    Very good firm. Solidly placed. Main thread and @Sahil_vi’s post on the subject are the best resource. The key thing I liked about the firm is it spent a good number of years building a solid base without much noise. Agreed wholly with the approach and the philosophy there. Hoping to reap the fruits.
    Mistakes - Got in at a good price, stock didn’t move much for a couple of months while others did. Gave up and moved out. Stock went on to cross 2x purchase price while I stood on the side-lines and kicked myself for being impatient. Thanks to the recent midcap meltdown, gave me another entry point. Jumped in and kept adding every time it dipped over a few days.
    Learnings - Patience is a very important thing. Acting on own conviction vs borrowed. Understanding the company very well (basically it means make sure you understand what you are reading, instead of just skimming through). The initial investment was made in my early days, and while I had read through the thread and looked at the numbers, I hadn’t absorbed them really, absorbed enough to have own conviction. Without real conviction, you just cannot hold on to a stock when it doesn’t move, or goes down or you have a couple of quarters of bad numbers. If you are a long term investor, you won’t make it without the above ingredients.
    Holding period - Indefinite, or at least, very long. Also will be adding on dips next couple years. Firm is just getting started.

• JUBLINGREA
    Good firm. Well placed, Main issue is the Environmental aspect.
    Mistake - Did not buy in early enough, Could have got in at 241 after the primary undervaluation post in VP. Bought in early 300s and averaged up.
    Holding period - Long. Would have accumulated more, but am waiting to see how the environmental aspect turns out. Depending on valuations at that point, will make a decision.

• IDFC
    IDFCFIRSTB
    My primary financial bet. Planning to add to dips for next 2/3 years at least. Bank will need at least that much time to clean out its historical bad eggs and everyone (including me) is expecting the jockey (a very respected name) to actually follow through. Also the merger arbitrage exists which is why investment is split. Building a large cap country wide bank takes time. Current valuations don’t have much downside. Overall, for a patient investor, risk/reward ratio is very good.
    Holding period: Indefinite. Am expecting this to end up another wealth creator and am willing to cut the stock a bit of slack.
    Learnings : Patience really, about waiting for the right dips and buying in at right prices. IDFC I got a bit wrong and am trying to average down. IDFC First I got in at right price I think.

• HIL
    This is my India infrastructure, consumption bet. Acrysil was the closest thematic competition. HIL wins on account of its more diverse nature of business and its pedigree. In addition, I think the market is still not doing full justice to the parador aspect of its business. Plus one should look at how they are trying to derisk themselves for the core cement oriented business, which has environmental fallouts. Thanks to @Phreakv6 for bringing this firm to my notice.
    Holding period : Indefinite. Will be accumulating on every dip (funds permitting).
    Learnings: I was staying away from scrips where the CMP is high. It was a fallacy. This helped clear it up.

• IEX
    Monopolistic bet on Gas, energy and power. Also my choice on a platform business (See @sahil_vi’s post on platform businesses for better understanding). No matter where your power is coming from, this is where it will end up, given the way power sector is reforming. You have captive solar generation coming up in leaps and bound, you see PPAs getting phased out and slowly becoming a thing of the past, and in terms of percentage of total power generated vs percent through an exchange, the prospects are immense. There are crucial government actions which are getting formulated around this though - Market Coupling and MBED (market based economic despatch). Read this for better understanding Will market coupling destroy the IEX monopoly? – Candor Investing . Market Coupling only is bad for IEX. But MBED however, would be a game changer for IEX. In any case, I think both will come about, so an existing platform with 90pc+ market share has all the benefits of network effects, and creating competing power exchanges are not a trivial endeavor, and MBED, if it happens will really change the fortunes of IEX, even discounting for market coupling and competition. For now waiting to see how market coupling and MBED works out.
    Holding Period : Indefinite. but am pretty sure will be accumulating at some point. Very very long runway here.

• PIXTRANS
    Not much to say, Good business, got in at a decent price. Main VP thread is best resource. Will hold unless valuations go up excessively. Not planning to add more as I have other picks in the sector - RACL and Pricol.
    Holding Period: Medium - Indefinite. One of my profit booking candidates in next 3-5 years based on Pricol. If Pricol works out, will shift holding there, else shift Pricol here and hold.

• FAIRCHEMOR
    This is a complicated story. As of now, I think market has it undervalued, mainly because its history. The company has undergone multiple changes of form, structure, holding pattern and what not. So basically it looks like a classic case where the promoters are doing a lot more than focusing on growing the business, yet the business has been growing. It has core technology in its area, has long and extensive relationships with global and local giants, has several competitive advantages and is very well placed. Now if only the promoters would focus primarily on the business, that would make me very happy. Primary thread on Fairchem has all the details.
    Holding Period : Unknown. Will be tracking this keenly, and based on events, will add more or exit. Based on pure business grounds though, this is an add more and hold long term type, but the history makes one uncertain.

• FLUOROCHEM
    Similar to Fairchem, this is another complicated story. Specialty fluorine chemicals play. Multiple possibilities, and highly undervalued, with competitive advantages. Additionally could be a benefactor of any EV theme which comes up as fluorine based molecules are used significantly in battery and battery electrolytes, and this firm already has this as a product line. Again, check primary VP thread for details.
    Holding Period : Unknown. Will be tracking this keenly, and based on events, will add more or exit. Based on pure business grounds though, this is an add more and hold long term type, but is very dependent on management execution and focus.

• INTELLECT
    One of my few direct IT plays. A semi cloud SaaS company, which is not known as such. Well positioned and growing. Execution over the next couple of years is key to monitor.
    Holding Period : Unknown. As of now will accumulate as long as stock stays at current levels.

• PRICOLLTD
    My thesis on this is added to the Pricol thread. Based on quarterly results, and management execution against goals - namely debt reduction and handling of loss making subsidiaries - will accumulate.
    Holding Period : Uncertain. If thesis plays out, will accumulate. Else will exit.

• BAJAJHCARE
    Undervalued pharma company with international presence, good growth potential, with pedigreed management. Goal here is to hold until P/E matches up with peers. Will accumulate on dips till then.
    Holding period: As mentioned, once P/E parity is achieved, will re-evaluate and decide on hold or exit.

• TATAPOWER
    This is one of those firms which when you finally find out about, makes you wonder which rock you have living under for all this time. Its also remarkable that VP does NOT have a thread for this firm. I have been looking for a green energy, power, EV, solar play for quite a while. Dabbled for a while in Shakti Pumps, bought and sold Borosil, looked at Aegis for gas transportation, until I found this. You need to look at the numbers and the division lines for this firm. The stock has doubled in the last year. After doubling, its P/E is 28, its PEG is 0.12. It does thermal generation, renewable generation in wind, and solar, EPC, solar pumps, rooftop installations, power T&D, and power trading. Its backed by the Tata group, so corporate governance should never be a question. Jumped in when I found this. Will be adding as much as I can over the short term. This is like holding a basket of stocks for the price of one. Main sticking point is the high debt.
    Holding period: Indefinite. Will definitely add more.

• KILPEST
    This is not about Kilpest really, the agricultural based firm. That part is actually a drag on the business. This is about Black Burn biotech - the subsidiary - which provided 50% of consolidated revenue and 90% of profits. I found this firm independently and was evaluating it when @sahil_vi found out about it too and posted his analysis on the relevant thread. For a full understanding go through that. This firm has come nowhere close to its rightful valuations, the firm still has some management adjustments to make (hive off old agri business, reverse merge subsidiary and also show decent non-covid growth). But this remains one of the best plays on the health sector in India and the world and on molecular diagnostics in specific.
    Holding Period: Indefinite. Will add on every dip, funds permitting.

• TEJASNET-BE
    There are two threads on Tejas networks in VP. Worth going through both. And the recent developments in the firms operating environment, the ownership change, added to its fundamental business, puts the firm in a place where it can really take off. Telecom infrastructure in India and the globe will continue to be a big business and Tejas is very well placed to take advantage of all the tailwinds.
    Holding Period: Indefinite, Will accumulate as much as I can. However, current price has run-up quite a bit recently so I am not really sure whether this is a good entry point or not. In any case, my plan is to average periodically irrespective of direction for now.

• SIS
    This is one of the wait and watch ones. Firm has very good numbers for quite some time, but the future growth of the business is not really clear to me. As of now I am just going by the numbers, which makes valuations very reasonable, and will track over the quarters.
    Holding period: Uncertain. Additions: Uncertain.

• VAIBHAVGBL
    Firm is in an enviable low capex cost business. Has excellent numbers for quite some time. The possibilities in terms of penetrating new geographies are high. For now will accumulate on dips and monitor regularly.
    Holding period: Medium (3 yrs), with periodic re-evaluations.

• DEEPAKFERT-BE
    Firm is in a difficult business (from what I can find out), but management is making all the right moves. Related to Deepak Nitrite which has exemplary management. Recent backward integrations put the firm on a pretty solid footing for the future, and seems currently undervalued with good scope for growth. Also a wait and watch, but I’m bullish.
    Holding period :Medium (3 yrs), with periodic re-evaluations.

• MASTEK
    I actually missed Mastek when it was the right time to buy. Because of my decision to not look at IT firms directly. However, growth wise it is still very well poised, with string cash balance, good recent acquisitions (which has significant positive outcomes, and that’s showing in the numbers), great numbers for last few quarters, and very good outlook. Coupled with that its trading at PE of 27 with PEG of 0.37 when its peers are anywhere from 48 (Persistent) to 134 (Happiest). For an IT firm that makes it cheap. Even if P/E goes to average of its peers as shown on screener, that still make it 2.5x.
    Holding Period: Medium. Looking for P/E expansion. May or may not exit at that point depending on multiple factors.

From watchlist, the main stock for me now is Thyrocare. Planning to buy, and also planning to buy Pharmeasy when it lists/IPOs (if I get lucky), and then wait for the merger which, imho, is bound to happen sooner or later. Others are in tracking mode, no particular decisions yet. At best may start tracking positions in Acrysil, Borosil Renewables, Saregama and then wait and watch. Acrysil I was invested at a good price, but I got impatient and sold out, and now it looks expensive from current numbers. Given their capex plans and future possibilities, It might be worth a plunge. Possibly also Saregama, but that’s also runup quite a bit and it looks like I’m late to the party. For Ugro, I’m not quite sure yet, willing to wait for a while to see how the story unfolds.

Notable Exits:

• TII India - Overvalued, and will take some time before the recent acquisitions they made starts showing results.
  • Apl Apollo/Tricoat - Without the merger would have stayed invested in Tricoat. With the merger, long term growth is at consistent compounder rate at best. Although did get out a little too early.
  • Digispice - This taught me a lot about a good business for the economy and the country vs a good business from shareholders perspective. It’s an excellent initiative, but not so great for shareholders. I’m still watching it though, since the pivot the promoters made from their existing business to this is an incredible one, and it’s not right to dismiss a management with that sort of ability outright. The only other management of this calibre that comes to mind is Garware Technical Fibres. It takes both vision and execution to pull off something like this.
  • Alembic, KSCL, Tata consumer - Recommendation plays. Exited when I found out I didn’t like them all that much.
  • Deepak Nitrite - Got in too late, money invested started looking like opportunity cost. Exited.
  • Kpit Tech - Idiot exit. Didn’t have sufficient faith in my convictions at that point. Kick myself a bit now about it. Too expensive to get back in.
  • Prince, OAL - Cant see significant future growth at the moment. Still like OAL as a company though. If you are ok with slow and consistent growth, pretty much a sure thing. Management history is to under-promise and over-deliver.
  • GMM - Growth is stopped for the moment. Will get going again, once it consolidates its recent takeover of parent. Keeping track.
  • PPL - Still gung ho about the business, but just can’t trust filed numbers because of promoter reputation.

Notable Avoids:

• Neuland Labs - Probably a very good company, Probably very good future, However, the incredible wild swings in price action is beyond my comfort range. Would not be able to sleep well at night. Thus avoided.

That’s it for the portfolio and investment plan. However, my post is not yet complete. Last but not least, it would be incomplete and ungrateful to end without acknowledging the contribution of VP in my journey.

So, many thanks to VP. It’s quite an incredible forum, really.

There’s a saying - don’t give a man a fish, teach him how to fish. VP goes one better, Starts off with giving you a bunch of fish, then a fishing line, and the hook, and the rope, and the bait, and then lets you sit beside some very experienced anglers and let you watch them by the day at their job, while answering idiotic questions you may have on the side. All they expect in return is you show effort and dedication.

I have always had decent hunches about stocks. I remember picking several winners over the years, (BHEL, Pantaloon etc.) but issue is, they were all in paper (not real life) and completely on gut feel. Last year, after the market meltdown, and considering my life stage, I decided it was finally time to actually start moving from paper to real life. The journey covered six months of studying, learning about fundamental vs technical, discovering screener, discovering PMS services like Purnartha and RJCapital, Marsellus, youtube videos - until one fine day one of the threads leading out from a google search landed me on a VP forum page.

A week on the various forum pages and I applied for membership. I devoured hours’ worth of portfolio questions, investment approaches, company analyses, fundamental and technical analysis, portfolio structuring, allocation and position sizing, mindset and what not.

Two weeks down I had my first new portfolio question.

There was a comment by @Tar on that thread - ‘the best day to start was yesterday, the next best was today’. This comment made me finally put my worries about overvalued markets, quash my waiting mode (for markets to catch up to economy or vice versa) and finally put my money where my mouth was.

There is really nothing that teaches you better about you and your investment style and comfort than putting in your money and then watching the reds and the greens. you learn what your profit/loss appetites are, what you can tolerate, what you cannot and what your real time frames are. It’s easy to say 5 years but putting your money in and seeing zero gains over 6 months, or seeing it go 25-40 percent down, or seeing it go up by 7 times and then deciding what to do now is a very different story. You learn about the difference between conviction of your own, and conviction based off a tip (even a deeply researched VP story). The difference between consistent compounder portfolios vs growth oriented ones. You learn about margin of safety in general, and the margin of safety you are comfortable with. You learn about valuations, its subjective nature and your own opinions/reactions to valuations. And in every one of these situations, whenever you have a problem, there is one VP thread or another which has invaluable shared experience or information on the same topic.

So once again VP, thank you very much.

Just listing some of those who have been very influential in my learning, thought process and mindset. Thanks for sharing your experience, your journey, your thought process, your efforts and your results. @Tar, @Malkd, @sahil_vi, @Hitesh2710, @dineshssairam @chins, @harsh.beria93, @phreakv6 (I really wonder why you don’t have a portfolio thread???), @Caution_Investor, @Investor_No_1 and many others whose posts I have read with great interest to great benefit.

That it really. Have tried to cover all bases. It’s been a long post, but it’s also been a few months in the making. If you have followed it till here, thank you. Hope it helps you some way.

Standard caveat: Not an advisor, Pretty new to the business of investing. All opinions about any stock are just that - my personal opinions and views at this point in time. May change my holdings or approaches at any point. Please do your own due diligence before investing.

36 Likes

Small Update: Decided not to invest in thyrocare/pharmeasy. Decided to let the IT fund take care of that. Shifted the planned allocation to Pricol, which has now doubled. Am also rethinking Mastek but no action there as of now. Money can stay in there until I find a suitable alternative.

1 Like

@blue : loved reading eveyrthing you posted

Thanks for detailed summary

All the best…many of the stocks you chose wud give excellent returns in the long run

Thanks man. Hope what you say come true.

Another update. I re-evaluated my portfolio and my allocations. Exited from Deepak Fertiliser, Vaibhav Global, SIS, and Intellect. Trimmed ITC, IDFC and CDSL.

Rationale - What I am trying to do, basically, is get the most bang for my buck, while minimizing my risk. Given that. why should my ‘accumulate’ stocks have such high allocation. My opinion anyway is that there will be opportunities to slowly build up the corpus over a few quarters - thus trims in ITC, and IDFC. I am sure I will see better entry opportunities in IDFC in future. CDSL got trimmed since it has run up significantly already - and I’m not sure about future growth - my existing CDSL is now basically free. Similarly, Vaibhav Global and Intellect - another couple of accumulate stocks are out. Allocations were small anyway, and I can see better risk/reward profile in my other selections.

SIS was hard to let go, as I don’t see it going down much (if at all), but growth imho will be slower than some of my other picks - so buck for buck, it looks likely to yield lesser returns. And allocation was small anyway, and its ok to miss a bus or two. I don’t really need to catch every bus to my destination.

Deepak Fertilizer, I am very positive that it will do better, but, imho, not soon. I will keep a strict watch on this, and enter as soon as I see positive triggers, but for the short term, I see prices more or less hovering around the same range. Hence again on the buck-for-buck theory, this got the axe.

Sitting on the cash - will redeploy into RACL, Laurus, Jubilant, Tejas. TataPower, Pricol and Kilpest whenever opportunities/dips show. More and more its this set that beginning to look like my favored set for the next 2/3 years now.

4 Likes

On a mildly ironic note - Every single stock in my portfolio is in the red today, except

ITC.

I cant decide whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. :slight_smile:

Edit: polycab was also green, missed it in the sea of red.

Since, it probably not worth to post only that, might as well provide an portfolio update. Sorted by allocation.

Instrument percent Net chg.
RPPL-SM 9.36 -1.74
LAURUSLABS 8.64 21.98
RACLGEAR 8.62 -1.39
ITC 6.7 10.86
JUBLINGREA 6.68 71.42
PRICOLLTD 6.41 6.69
TATAPOWER 5.59 4.58
IEX 5.18 100.37
IDFC 4.97 13.84
IDFCFIRSTB 4.24 14.8
TEJASNET 4.04 7.16
CDSL-BE 3.93 45.41
PIXTRANS 3.62 21.3
FAIRCHEMOR 3.41 6.56
KILPEST 3.02 1.05
POLYCAB 2.89 8.08
BAJAJHCARE 2.4 -0.87
ACRYSIL 2.21 0.62
CLEAN 2.17 1.16
BORORENEW 2.11 1.98
DEEPAKNI 2.11 2.91
MASTEK 1.7 12.81

Overall, any portfolio restructurings are mostly complete.

Did one thing which contradicts my theory of buying into low valuations - Bought back into Deepak Nitrite, PolyCab, and Clean. Deepak and Poly seems set for a long period of growth. Polycab especially with the foray into passive networking. Clean - well, lets just say I’m trusting my freshly minted gut feel (considering how long(or short) a time I have been investing) here. However note that its very very overvalued at the moment. Also exchanged HIL for Acrysil.

Sitting on a little cash which will redeploy into my top convictions as per opportunity. But basically right now, the general plan is to sit tight and accumulate more cash. Essentially, I have this little paranoia going on right now regarding the way the market is behaving - especially with money flowing into already highly over valued large caps and midcaps. I would have preferred the undervalued ones catching up but that doesn’t seem to be happening. If I extrapolate these trends, then what seems inevitable is that these overvalued ones will keep going higher and higher until some smart folks with lots of money invested, (like the FIIs and DIIs and other large investors), get jittery feet and start booking profits or converting into cash. And it only needs a few hands to start a stampede - large caps will crash/correct/whatever (I think it will over compensate so more crash than correction), knock-on effects will rollover to midcaps and small caps, and there will be a carnage. Note that this is conspiracy theory only, but logically I do not see any other end to the current trends. In any case, just like the overvaluations seem excessive, if my paranoia infected logic works out, then the excess will be carried over to the other direction, which should give me a good buying opportunity. hence, stocking up on cash. So, there will be no further capital infusions, at most, may rebalance allocations based on short to medium term performance. Don’t want to over-concentrate either (given above theory).

Well that’s it. Since there’s unlikely to be significant changes in the short/medium term, updates will be few and far between. Everyone keep your hopes up, and your monies invested (or not - depending on your point of view), and may the gods of luck and chance look on you with favor. Cheers.

3 Likes

Damn, I have questions !!!

Assume you have a portfolio.
Assume you have a watchlist.
Assume you have a cigar butt list - mostly new tech - thryocare, naukri, addshop, sastasundar, and others, non-tech .
Assume you have a coffee can list - reliance, lti, pfaudler, syngene.
Assume, (well forget the assumption, take it for real), you are a newbie investor. 1 year of studies and timid ventures into investing.
Assume you have pressures - by any standards of wealth creation process - you are late to the party, about 15 years too late. You also have a 15 year window available. So you need to maximize wealth creation, instead of capital protection or risk minimization, cos, obviously, you are late to the party.

Now assume you come into a sum of money approximately 2 times your portfolio value. Note also, that we are not talking multiples of 50 crores here, in which case it doesn’t really matter what you do. The sums we are talking about - what you do here matters for your future.

So, how the hell do you deploy your money?

Add to existing positions?
Split into parts and redeploy equally among all the portfolio sets - core, watchlist, cigarbutt, coffeecan?
Split the added money into chunks and separate investment philosophies - like momentum, core compounder, dividend plays.
Split into debt, crypto, and the rest as per one of the above options.

What are the options?
What are the possibilities?
What are the risks?
What makes sense?
Is there even an answer to these questions?
How basically, should one go about the damn business?

Man, this investing business is hard.

It is actually easy once we settle with a number. So if we are clear of the number, only then we can think of the kind of investing we should do. Index investing could be an option too. 10-12% return on a pretty big investment for 15 years, although non linear, will make one wealthy too.

Once math is done, choosing the optimal path among all the available options will not be hard, as each method will forecast, to a certain degree, the possible outcomes, along with the risks.

Once a path or a few paths are chosen, one can introspect truthfully, so as to check what he already knows about that path, what kind of changes he has to bring in order to achieve the desired outcome, or if it is even possible for him to work in that path etc.

So numbers first, because they are easy and fast to calculate, in personal finance. Next, we can very well execute multitude of different styles, provided our number, our time horizon etc. permit us to do so.

Also, one can keep aside the wealth creation for a moment and ask oneself, has he learnt anything since the beginning, are the mistakes, if any, the same as before, or they are new, has he evolved satisfactorily, is he happy with the progress, where exactly he is in the journey of investment, if he thinks investment as a journey, how long can he continue, is he tired already, does the raging bull invigorates him, would he stop or bring down the pace along with the bull, or the journey in itself is inspiring enough to make him go forward, and make him a better investor and give him the corpus too, or is he better off handling the investment decisions to people who do it professionally, or does he derive joy from doing the hard work, so on and so forth.

2 Likes

This is the problem. He doesn’t really have any of the answers to this set of questions. And every year he uses to get one of these answers, that’s another year off the time-period variable of the compounding equation.

I would say, the answers are right inside the person, if he introspects. One can go slow if he can afford it, or he can chase, provided he knows that he is chasing and not accumulating or acquiring.

Wealth creation is a broad term, one that is not generally associated with a number, but it should be, if the time horizon is specific and relatively short.

So if we can calculate the needed number, we can etch a plan to get to that number, using the umpteen options available, along with the possible negative scenarios, and can even come up with contingency plans, not to be profitable, but to stop capital erosion.

We can keep it simple with indices covering most of the market, if it suits, or we can think of taking a chance with stocks riddled with issues, or become adventurous with smallcaps, or even get concentrated in penny stocks. Options, one too many.

2 Likes

This is not true. If you’re early than you can take higher risk as the capital requirement will occur at a later date give time to mitigate a bear market loss. Growth with minimal risk should be your ideal approach.

Since your period of withdrawal is fixed at 15 years you can make a list of 10 companies that you are certain will remain and grow till 15 years. This will help you remove a lot of low quality companies with high risk associated with return. Then you can deploy money in staggered manner among them.

If you divide your money among coffee can, cigar butt, core, momentum and dividend portfolio then your portfolio will become an index fund and start behaving as an index. Chose the one you’re comfortable with, not the one with the highest return possibility. There is a chance you will abandon your philosophy at the lowest point if you’re not comfortable with it.

6 Likes

As I said, you are not early. you are late. That is one of the key pressure points.

and on a separate note, among the many desires I harbor in my heart these days, the strongest is the desire to travel back in time 10 years and give my younger self a resounding kick in delicate places.

And give him a book on compound interest.

Some updates on portfolio side - trimming has occurred. Also exits from some tickets - bringing up cash to around 15%. Laurus allocation is low at the moment cos I sold off a bit - will be adding again but just this once trying to see if I can get lucky about timing the market and bring my entry points lower. As I have mentioned, a possibility of sudden cash inflow is on the horizon. Added to Deepak Nitrite and Mastek in the recent drop. Looking for opportunities to add to Polycab, IEX, Laurus (as mentioned) Jubi and Tata Power. On watchlist side - watching sequent, rajratan, ibrealty, trident, kilpest and ugrocap. Lots of other thoughts about portfolio size, position sizing, valuations, and allocations but no actions planned. Affle was a mistake - will exit at first opportunity - violates my concept of playing IT through mutual funds.

Current portfolio stands as follows -

Instrument Net chg. Allocation
TATAPOWER 48.33 15
RACLGEAR 5.74 8
JUBLINGREA 34.85 8
PRICOLLTD 12.25 7
ITC 13.84 7
IEX 157.94 7
DEEPAKNTR -1.69 6
MASTEK 0.84 6
LAURUSLABS -9.43 5
IDFC 8.11 5
TEJASNET 11.7 5
GPIL 4.26 4
IDFCFIRSTB 18.11 4
CDSL 44.57 4
POLYCAB -1.77 3
AFFLE 0.07 3
BORORENEW 36.93 3
2 Likes

I think @akash_das has given perfect suggestion for the person to look forward and develop, grow and stick to his strengths irrespective of time of entry…

1 Like

Got lucky for once. Sell all and buy back in Laurus worked out well (so far). Average buying price is now down by about 80Rs.

Also, looks like the sale is over. Added left right and center - IEX, Mastek, Laurus, Jubi, TPower, Deepak Nitrite, Polycab. Also added some Piramal Enterprises, GPIL, and finally bought into UgroCap. Ran out of funds otherwise wanted to add some Boronew as well.

I’ve been watching Ugro for a while, but what finally prompted the buy? This quora answer by someone who works for Ugro - And two proverbs - ‘A man is known by the company he keeps’ and ‘I not only use all the brains I can find, but all the brains I can borrow’.

What I ask myself is - Is this guy, who has has this sort of a friend-circle since childhood, just working in Ugro for the sake of the money? Most probably not. And if its good enough for him to work in, it should be good enough for me to take a chance on, given all the other info that I have. And after a quick follow up check on the Linked in profiles of 'Data Scientist’s at Ugro.

Is this a sensible way of making investment decisions? Probably not, I wouldn’t advise anyone else to do so. Am I okay with it. Yes. Is this a good call? time will tell.

Now back to accumulating cash for the next sale.

5 Likes

@blue During Sep. there was no Tata Power in your portfolio. Now its about 1/6th of your portfolio. Can you please share drivers/triggers such a massive convinction :slight_smile:

I was always looking for a way to play the alternative energy theme - Initially it was Boronew, but valuations at that point were scary. Was also tracking Shakti Pumps and invested in IEX. Late Aug/Early September, I hadn’t found Tata Power yet. When I did, it was at PE of around 20 odd range. Broadly speaking there are six subsectors in the power (with focus on renewable power) space - Generation, Distribution, Components/Manufacturing, Charging, and two others. (sorry, cant recollect the other two off the top of my head). Tata Power is present in 5 of the 6, and in leadership category in Charging, Solar Pumps, EPC. It also has its hands in generation - which includes renewable solar and hydro, and non renewable coal - which they are planning to reduce and finally exit over the next few decades and have ventured into distribution - I think they are the first big name firm to partner with the govt for distribution. Distribution is a space which would not be easy to play unless you are a large, respected group with clout. My engineering degree is in Power. Traditionally distribution is the weakest link in the Indian energy power sector value chain. Privatization or Public Private JVs in the transmission and distribution sector should in the long run lead to much needed improvement to the operating efficiency of this sector. Also power sector reforms are in play, (see effect on IEX), there is significant thrust on renewables (Tata power has a solid portfolio here), it also the largest solar pump provider (beneficiary of KUSUM), Governance should be impeccable, and the Tata group creds should provide some leverage in engagements with the public/sector (read that as engagements with Governments, regulations, politicians etc). Imo, Its a perfectly positioned, leadership category company with impeccable governance, placed where tailwinds should continue to accrue for most of the next decade or so. And it was cheap at that time. There was no thread on tpower when I bought in, but there is one now, and you can look up the complete details in there. Alternative you can read one of their annual reports. Essentially this is like a ‘4/5 for the price of 1’ company and I am optimistic about holding for long term. Just got lucky with my entry price. Debt is a bit high, but I think the group can handle it.

I would recommend going through the latest annual report. Its worth it.

Also, the previous portfolio snapshot is at a time when i had sold off another of my large holdings, laurus labs, so that I could reenter at a better prices - given the price action of the last week. I have done that now, so don’t try to stick too much to the relative allocations in the thread - they are mostly for myself and could change any moment, but yes, tpower is likely to remain one of my larger positions.

4 Likes

Notes to myself

Lately I have been thinking a lot about a coffee can portfolio, and names therein. Also, finally encountered @gurjota 's portfolio thread which addresses a lot of my concerns around having lots of stocks in your portfolio. Cos if I list all the stocks want to own, across all portfolio types, it was hitting the 40-60 mark and that flies against all conventional wisdom of owning 15-20 stocks.

But that is not the point here. The point is, I was trying to list down coffee can stocks, and from various sources, including portfolio threads here at VP, cards and insurance businesses seem to figure quite commonly on coffee can portfolios.

And I had this epiphany.

Insurance and cards businesses will underperform over a longer term window.

Why?

Look, we are expecting that the masses will join into the financial journey. Which is why this will grow? But look at what they will be exposed to?

They will learn about investing and insurance, term plans and other plans, mutual funds and index funds and direct equity, they will be exposed to the payment methods of today. If financial inclusion is inevitable, financial knowledge also will be. Especially in India when financial inclusion, financial maturity, a growing middle class, broadband (thus effectively knowledge) penetration, and UPI and mobile usage is all converging at comparable rates. The new user will encounter all of these at the same time.

Given the above, any sane guy/girl with a bit of brain and analytical skills (that’s basically everyone who is going to buy a home on loan, and deciding which loan provider, which locality, what amount and what duration) will take the path of term plan + mutual fund + direct equity + upi payments. And will tell everyone around whom he can talk to about the same.

So where does that leave traditional insurance and cards? Out in the cold.

So in a long term 10/15/20/ year window - these are businesses that are on exit mode. They just cannot deliver superior returns if these trends continue converging and playing out. Hence - I won’t be investing into any cards or insurance businesses in my coffee can, or any other can. It, logically, just cannot work.

Someone take me up on this call 15 years down the line.

4 Likes

A small addition, term plan is but traditional insurance…the good insurance player have product mix that are relevant and they create ones that will be relevant… if you think term insurance is relevant, why do you not believe in listed insurance players over long term?

1 Like