Ola Electric after FAME subsidy reduction

Summary:

• I believe the EV penetration projection of 41-56% by 2028 is on the bullish side. My bet is somewhere around 25-30%.
  • While the regulatory environment will continue to be favorable, I believe the FAME subsidy (of ~Rs. 15-20K) might get further reduced or eliminated. PLI schemes are likely to stay.
  • As a vertically integrated company with in-house development capabilities, there is a premium to this kind of business model compared to incumbent OEMs that rely more on tier 1 suppliers.
  • Quality issues are a concern. While the market hasn’t punished the company on these issues yet, if not turned around, the long term impact will be significant.
  • The battery life is yet to be ascertained as even the oldest vehicle is ~3 years old. Companies that can claim superior battery life will win.
  • They have some moats in GTM. They are able to effectively leverage Ola Cabs’ digital platform and use their execution chops to take the route of company owned distribution models. This shows up in lower CAC.
  • Their cell manufacturing business is yet to start operations and at this point, looks like a black box to me. I don’t foresee any technological or quality benefits here but there could be benefits from the PLI scheme and reduced supply risk.
  • They have been trending positively on financial performance. With decreasing battery prices, their gross margins are set to further improve. However, I think they will need to spend more on R&D and marketing than what they have spent for Q1 ‘24 as % of revenue.

Financial Note:

Different media outlets have quoted the likely valuation to be somewhere between ~$6.5-8B. The last fundraise for Ola Electric was at ~$5B. Ola Electric is seeking ~$700M. It reported a revenue of Rs. 2,630 Cr in FY23 and Rs. 1,243 Cr in the first quarter of FY24. It had a net loss of Rs. 1,472 Cr in FY23 and of Rs. 267 Cr in the first quarter of FY24.

The regulatory question

There is indeed no doubt that the favorable policy and govt incentives played an immense role in accelerating the adoption of EV 2Ws. Till June ‘23, the top selling EV models of Ola, Ather, TVS, etc were able to claim ~Rs. 45-50K per vehicle in subsidies. However, the government doesn’t have infinite money and the subsidies expectedly came down from June ‘23 to ~Rs. 15-20K per vehicle. The slow down on growth since the last 6 months can be attributed to the price increases (of ~Rs. 15-20K) for EVs across the board. While OEMs are getting better with their margins and can survive the post subsidy world, the impact of removing subsidies is not negligible. My view is that FAME subsidy on 2Ws can further reduce or end within the next 12-18 months.

The second significant regulatory incentive is the PLI scheme that offers ~Rs. 15-20K per vehicle to the OEMs. Unlike FAME, I believe PLI will stay longer.

Overall, I believe the government policies will remain favorable to the EV industry though the FAME subsidy may be reduced or eliminated in the near future.

The technology leverage

Ola is perhaps the only vertically integrated companies with in-house R&D teams that have built their own battery pack and BMS, powertrain and software stack. Effectively, these companies are tech-led rather than distribution-led. I strongly believe that these capabilities developed in-house give a significant edge to these companies than the OEMs relying on tier-1 suppliers.

Fig Source. Ola Electric DHRP

For example, a superior battery pack, BMS and powertrain can contribute to better battery efficiency and higher battery life (up to 20% more). The differences in battery quality will start showing in the next few years as more vehicles cross the 5Y/ 60-70K kms mark. Companies that can promise higher battery life will win.

Overall, I believe the business model of being vertically integrated and having strong in-house R&D capabilities gives a significant premium to these companies and here I would agree with the prospectus that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to directly compare with the existing OEMs that are dominated by ICE sales and a very different business model.

The quality concerns

One major factor that I would consider for Ola is the quality concerns. Ola has had more publicly reported cases of battery issues than any other OEM. As per their prospectus, they had identified a batch of ~1441 vehicles with potentially faulty batteries and asked the customers to visit the service centers to get their battery health checked. While they claim that none were replaced, I am honestly surprised that the market hasn’t punished these quality issues more.

There is also the question of battery life. Given that most of their vehicles are 1-2 years old and even the oldest vehicles are ~3 years old, it is difficult to ascertain at this point how good their battery packs are. A superior BMS can contribute to increased battery life and we don’t have much information yet on how Ola’s vehicles fare in terms of the battery life.

A few media outlets had also covered the after-sales woes of Ola scooters with long service periods. Around a year ago, there were also reports of issues with their front suspension which were redesigned for future batches.

My guess is that the market is yet to get to a point to start discerning quality in EVs and it will take a cycle of 7-9 years (lifetime post purchase) before the consumers start learning nuances and impact of quality on the life of the vehicles. This will eventually impact future sales. In the long term, quality will have a significant impact on the brand value.

The D2C model

Ola probably stands out as the only major EV company with company owned distribution. They also have a unique advantage of being able to leverage the Ola Cabs app and platform to drive traffic to Ola Electric website. Overall, with an effective use of affiliate platforms, company owned distribution and digital marketing, they have been able to get to a lower CAC.

However, it will be interesting to see if they will continue to operate in this model or take the dealership route in future.

The financial performance

On the whole, their financial performance appears to be trending in the right direction along all the key metrics for Q1 ‘24 when compared to FY23:

• Gross margins improved to 13% from 5% in FY23
  • R&D expenses came down to 7% from 18%
  • Other expenses came down to 21% from 29%
  • EBITDA improved to -14% from -43%

Contrary to the popular sentiment against Ola being loss-making, I would fret less over the fact that they are loss making and look deeper into their future plans and cash outlays to see if the valuation is justified. I believe that as long as gross margins are healthy and we can see that they are likely to improve with time, the more interesting part is the next level of detail.

First is on their R&D spend. While their R&D came down from 18% to 7%, I believe they will need more R&D investments than what they have projected to invest from the IPO proceeds over the next few years to be able to get the growth they expect. This is on account of launching in the motorbike segment (which should be a completely new platform from the S1 series) and the R&D required for the cell production.

They have also brought down advertising and marketing spend from 11% in FY22 to 2% in FY23 to 1% in Q1 FY24. I believe they will have to invest more in marketing for the same reasons they have to invest more in R&D as I mentioned above. Having said that, it is still impressive for the low CAC that they have been able to achieve, yet maintain market share leadership in the EV 2W segment.

2 Likes

There is another concern - the competitive concern. You already see TVS (52%) and Bajaj (22%) recording good retail growth compared to Ola (9.3%). Hero VIDA not that impressive in terms of numbers yet. Ola has sustained itself with huge discounts and pricing and qualifying for PLI schemes will also help them.

But the biggest upheaval in the market will come when Activa Electric is introduced. After Activa Electric has been in the market for a while only we will know which way things are going. HMSI has a strangle hold on the Scooter market (42% Activa, 6% Dio) and if Activa Electric is priced competitively they will be able to get a good conversion of customers from ICE to Electric.

Also, EV will only hit 25-30% of the market if Honda releases Activa Electric by then. Without that release, EV will not be 30% of the overall 2W market unless there is some kind of government intervention.

FAME subsidy is already gone. The new subsidy is called EMPS and is based on battery capacity. That also ends on June 30th, we have to wait for new budget.

Another factor to consider is that Bhavish Aggarwal might be spreading himself thin, you have Ola Mobility, Ola Electric, and now their new AI venture is there. Ola Electric is also looking at car space which is a different beast all together.

4 Likes

I have concerns on few points here w.r.to. IPO and Gains.
These concerns may or may not have any impact on Share Price or Listing Gains.

1. I believe the promoters are getting distracted by focusing on AI/ New Startups rather then innovation around Better Battery Life / Charging Infra etc.
  2. I am a user of the bike and I can say with experience the build quality is not great. Being in Metro like Mumbai, I am worried, 1 pothole or speed breaker is going to damage the front fork/suspension.
  3. Competition - Active because of the trust in brand and loyal following will be a real competitive threat.
1 Like

There was a article recently in Themorningcontext on this IPO. To summarise, the assignment highlighted five things- 1. Lack of further models or prototypes, their car team has been dissolved and no further models have been developed. Quality control issues have been common.
2. High attrition (50%) leads to drag in operations.
3. Promoter has been spending more time on Krutrim. This can be seen playing similar to how he left Ola cabs when it was in prime and not has been relegated to second place in India.
4. The company still sells its scooters for loss. The haven’t been able to raise much funding and this going through the IPO route.
5. Competition from established auto companies.

I don’t believe there is any particular upside in the company, unless they do some solid research, have a good team and bring an excellent product to market. Companies like Bajaj, TVS and Honda will eat their market share with their brand value, network and customer service.

Please read forum guidelines properly before initiating a thread.
https://forum.valuepickr.com/faq

To nurture a vibrant community ValuePickr does not restrict anyone from starting a thread on a stock of his/her choice. Only Caveat is if you are going to introduce a discussion on a stock, we expect you to do your homework and start the thread with some basic info-set, and 1st level analysis such as growth drivers, a few positives & negatives, immediate triggers if any, and enumerate some RISKS. Nothing very heavy is required, but enough to set the tone for 2nd level of discussions.

Thread initiators are usually alerted to edit their post, and make necessary changes before thread is opened up again. So you/colleague and look to edit the post in order to meet prescribed guidelines. We have the responsibility - especially the thread initiator (assumption is he/she is a savvy investor) - to cater to bringing everyone on same page - quickly - if you know what we mean.

Detailed risk analysis & disclosure of your holding is missing. Please add it.