Nirlon- Forgotten Story or A sleepy compounder?

I just wanted to start a thread about this company called Nirlon as I got to know that few of my friends work in Nirlon’s IT park and I was very curious about this company. This is my first post and I am still learning about investing and understanding financial statements and business models so forgive me if I sound immature or naive and feel free to correct me.
Nirlon Limited was incorporated in 1958 and was a pioneer in the manufacturing of
synthetic yarns and industrial rubber products in India.
• Since 2006, Nirlon has primarily been in the business of development and
management of commercial/ IT-ITES Real Estate.
• The company currently owns two primary assets: Nirlon Knowledge Park (NKP), which
is an approx. 23 acre Information Technology Park located in Goregaon (East),
Mumbai and also 75% of undivided interest in approx. 0.05 Mn sq. ft(1 acre approx) in Nirlon House
(NH), which is a building in the prime location of Worli, Mumbai.
Nirlon,manages the It park and has excellent clients like Deustche Bank,EY,JPMC etc. It has more than 98% occupancy and is very well run, proven by the fact that it has such an elite MNC clientele for so many years. Foreign Investment Banks always choose great locations, and elite services. To be able to have a clientele like that for so long shows their maintenance and management capacity. Its business model is that of an urban corporate landlord who bills their extremely wealthy tenants year on year with the property value also increasing year on year. This is also a play on Mumbai’s real estate. In the concalls, The management was very transparent, easy going and confident. The dividend yield is very high 6.15%.
I know that this is not going to be a multibagger unless valuations become absurd, but it is going to be a stable growth story slow but sure company which is very easy to understand. Now its Market capitalization is 3800 crores at a PE valuation of 18 that might keep on clogging away giving you very good dividend yields and growing in a systematic way.
Also this is my thinking about this company. The company gives you 4-6% dividend yield normally which Fixed deposit also gives at the same time the stock grows as the real estate price of Mumbai market grows 4-6% on average according to 99 acres it grew 15% last year but that is not going to be the case always. So it is like a FD without your money depreciating and at some time if absurd valuations reach like PE of 36 for this particular company we can sell it
Potential weakness if any

1. Very high change in working culture ( work from home becomes the defacto working style)
  2. A huge fall in Real estate prices in Mumbai- even then it still collects rent.
  3. A fall in valuations- But it will then recover your money in terms of dividend yield which is derived from rental yields

I thank you for reading patiently and please share your thoughts and insights regarding this company and correct me if you think there is any error in the data or thinking process.

2 Likes

How does this compare to REITs. Why not REITs with higher yield?

There are not many listed REITs in India, Embassy Office Parks REIT
is one of the few ones listed and the only one with a dividend yield of 5.73%, even Brookfield India is in losses and has no dividend yield at the same time occupancy rate is lower than Nirlon, also the tenants occupying these REITs are not as premium as of Nirlon is what I have found out

2 Likes

Brookfield is paying 4.75 per Q. So yield is close to 7%

I have one question
When we see company dividend payout ratio from 2022 to 2024 is above 100%, why instead of paying outstanding loan company paying above 100% dividend.

1 Like

Their debt is restructured in such a way with multiple banks, one of the banks was that 75% of the debt will be paid in the 10th year of taking the debt