My value portfolio for next decade

Could you share your reasoning on investing in these stocks?

For ex: Balmer Lawrie Investments doesn’t have operations of its own, rather just holds Balmer Lawrie Company shares and hence depend on Balmer Lawrie for any growth. That company is far too diversified for growth in 1 of their segments to make a significant impact on the growth of the stock price. Could you share your opinion on the growth driver in Balmer Lawrie Investments?

1 Like

@alokinvestor Just sharing my views on the names you mentioned. Since you are new here, I would recommend you to read the individual threads for these companies you shared to get more information/views.

PFC is definitely a good one if you don’t have any expectation on market price movement and happy with the dividends (I think would increase slowly). It may be valued better at some point of time. I found many people value this stock by comparing with FD returns:)

I don’t track GSPL, Bengal Assam Company Ltd

Balmer Lawrie Investment Ltd - Holding company of Balmer Lawrie & Company Ltd. I tried to value this multiple times since its interesting by looking at the assets and price discount to that:)
But I am not sure how efficiently these assets are managed for their diversified businesses. It was very difficult for me to predict the growth &future.

Cupid - It was in watchlist for sometime. Good one with growth factors. If it gets FDA for female condoms, it will become a next level trigger which may take long time to know that. You may need to keep on monitoring their order book because their major revenues comes from big government contracts and it has to sustain.

You didn’t mention what is your goal/expectation with this portfolio. In general portfolio with more dividend yielding stocks with lesser growth factors may looks safe but it won’t help to create wealth in long term .

1 Like

I am a 50+ government employee and value investing only for wealth creation. Thanks for the reply.

BLIL is available on much discount to BL which owns a lot of land, it may create value on divestment by GOI.

Added HDFC AMC today. I will increase it if it falls further

Scrip name Allocation
Sreeleathers 11.11
Assoc.Alcohols 9.96
ITC 26.83
PTL Enterprises 6.19
Polycab India 6.13
Manappuram Fin. 9.07
PSP Projects 7.93
Caplin Point Lab 10.87
KMC Speciality 3.40
Maithan Alloys 5.42
HDFCAMC 3.09
1 Like

I exited KMC specialty hospital on last month and added more HDFC AMC. Still KMC is in my watch list.

Currently around 42% invested in equity and remaining in debt funds. I don’t see anything attractive though market fell around 10% from peak.

Few top names from my watch list,
Navneet Edu
HDFC Bank
ICICI Lambord
Britannia
Nippon/Aditya AMC

Also planning to create a PSU basket with 3/4 stocks (watching PFC, IRFC, Rail vikas, Petronet LNG)

Current Portfolio:

Any specific reason for not adding more of Polycab …

I feel current valuation of Polycab is higher than my buying zone.

@remi can u share ur investment thesis for Manappuram Finance

@sumitjain0014 Manapuram Finance:
My investment in manapuram was medium to long term by considering if the growth aspects and results is intact
I picked Manapuram over Muthoot based on valuation though Muthoot looks like bit better in quality and only in gold business

Positives,

• The most familiar and reputed gold lending company in India
  • Great long track record of management in this business
  • Attractive valuation for the current growth
  • Diversified into non gold business - Its subsidiary Asirward micro finance is slowly growing and Manapuram also into Home finance and insurance

Concerns:

• Management capability on adapting and driving the business with new age competitors and other banks. Also succession planning is not at satisfactory level
  • Gold is a cyclical commodity
  • Management is relatively new in non gold business
  • Gold lending is centuries old traditional business however its future over long term is still questionable.
1 Like