My portfolio - inviting comments and suggestions

Hi everyone,

I’m a 27 y.o. guy working in the corporate sector.

I began investing in 2017 when I started my first job. I started off with SIPs in a handful of mutual funds picked by an advisor. This PF has returned a decent CAGR of ~13.5% so far.

Last year, I got rid of the advisor and began managing my own investments. I have a background in finance and this is as much a hobby for me as it is a way to achieve financial freedom. I’m a relative newbie and started investing in the middle of a raging bull market so I’m looking for feedback from more experienced investors who’ve seen their share of ups and downs. My current investment plan is as follows:

1.) Equity: My equity portfolio is as follows (started building these positions in late November of 2020)

Below are my brief investment thesis for my picks:

1.) CAMS: Cash-churning machine with fantastic fundamentals, 70% market share in mutual fund RTA business with strong moats, best way to play the financialization theme (through increasing MF penetration)

2.) Laurus Labs: Aggressive promoters with track record of strong execution, strong revenue growth underpinned by leadership in anti-viral APIs and rapidly growing formulations business, expanding into new areas of biologics and custom synthesis. Upcoming new product launches in the US and EU

3.) Bharti Airtel: Reasonable valuations, part of a duopoly with strong moats (high capex requirements), steadily improving customer base evidenced by market leading m-o-m customer additions, bottom-line turn around expected in the medium term on the back of improving ARPUs, increasing focus on the enterprise cloud/data center market

4.) Sequent Scientific: Strong tailwinds in the animal pharma sector, steady improvement in margins to continue for the next couple of years, credible PE ownership, well diversified geographically and planning to enter big markets such as US/China

5.) Muthoot Finance: India’s safest lending business, good brand trust (important for gold lending), good parentage (leading to lower costs of acquiring money to lend), operationally brilliant, steadily growing book size, reasonable valuations

6.) NATCO Pharma: R&D led niche pharma business, strong drug pipeline for FY22,23, planning to enter agrochemicals market

7.) Granules: Nothing ground breaking here but a consistent performer at reasonable valuations with strong revenue growth, good promoters, operational expertise and a bunch of planned margin improvements and new product launches lined up

8.) ITC: Another cash-flow machine thanks to its leadership in the cigarette business, potential to become the leading FMCG brand in the country in the years to come, provides some stability to PF

9.) Asian Tiles (Asian Granito): Tiny tracking position. The company’s share price halved in the last couple of months due to the promoters pledging shares to convert their warrants into shares at a massive discount to the then market price. Trades at a significant discount to peers (Somany, Cera Kajaria). Financials look healthy. Will wait and watch this one.

Mutual funds (equally weighted weekly SIPs in the following funds)
1.) MO Nasdaq 100 FoF
2.) Edelweiss US Technology Equity FoF
3.) ICICI Prudential Technology Fund
4.) Motial Oswal Nifty 500 Fund
5.) DSP Nifty Next 50 Fund
6.) Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Equity Fund

Thanks.

1 Like

your stock selection is good. It would be better to keep minimum 20 stocks to avoid concentration risk. Also, you can add one small cap fund.