My portfolio for the long term

Hi,
I’ve been a Valuepickr reader for quite a few years and have benefitted immensely from the rich knowledge that this forum provides. So a huge thank you to the creators of this forum and all the senior contributors.
I wanted to share my portfolio here and get your opinion on the same. My idea is to keep this updated every qtr, with any changes made.
My investing journey started well over 10 yrs back, Started as novice and made lot of mistakes along the way… But its only in the last 4 years that I have been making a concrete effort to build a long term portfolio.
My portfolio breakdown at the moment

1. Indian Equities- 50%
    2.Mutual Funds- 5% ( ELSS and PPFAS)
    3.US Equities - 15%
    4.Debt instruments - 25%
    5.Gold, Cash in hand, Some crypto - 5%

Indian Equities: Its mostly large caps and midcaps. The main idea was to not have more than 20 names at any moment. Started out 2021 with more than 50 names… Have finally narrowed it down to just 20 after a very painful rebalancing. I keep churning some names every qtr(after qtly results), but mostly 70-80% of the folio is unchanged over the last 2 yrs.

1. ICICI Bank
  2. TCS
  3. Tata Consumer
  4. Titan
  5. Reliance
  6. Laurus Labs
  7. ITC
  8. United Spirits
  9. Syngene
  10. Praj
  11. Deepak Fertiliser
  12. Balkrishna Industries
  13. Globus Spirits
  14. Deepak Nitrite
  15. Vinati organics
  16. Mastek
  17. Apl Apollo
  18. IEX
  19. Polycab
  20. Saregama

US Equities: Been building this over the last few months… Haven’t researched deeply into US markets, Have bought into companies that I think have a deep moat.

1. Alphabet
  2. Microsoft
  3. Apple
  4. Amazon
  5. Facebook

Debt : Its mostly FD’s and NCD’s

I keep adding to these counters on a monthly basis ( kind of like an SIP)…
People talk about buying higher qty when the markets are down and slowing down when the markets are overvalued. But after 10 years of trying to outsmart the market, I’ve sadly come to a conclusion that timing the markets isn’t my cup of tea. So will continue the SIP way till I find a better way.
Looking forward to some valuable feedback from this community.

2 Likes

Hi Shetty and thanks for sharing your portfolio. It would be good if you share your allocation to each of the companies and a brief rationale behind each investment.

On your debt portfolio, is that kind of an emergency fund or part of your asset allocation. In a rising rate environment, most long term debt instruments like NCDs are likely to see drop in value, unless held till maturity.

1 Like

You have said that you are not doing in-depth research in US markets and still 15 % portfolio in % major US tech companies…What must be the rationale? Also what are your views about Passive Indexing? Do you have any allocation planned for it?

also…I would request you to change the Name of the thread…Instead of “My portfolio” It should say Your Name…It helps in identifying the thread easily