My Investment Journey & Philosophy

Hi All,

I started my investment journey in January 2021 with the idea of actively buying stocks with a set amount each month. During the initial phase, everything was going well as it was a good bull run. Every pick I made seemed to be performing well until a point where the stocks became stagnant. This realization prompted me to put more effort into finding good companies that will perform well going forward.

I’ve provided my reasons for holding certain stocks in my portfolio, but I’m interested in hearing your perspective.

BERGEPAINT
This company has excellent management and is a strong player in the paint industry. However, the entire paint sector is currently slow, and the entry of new competitors are two factors contributing to the stock’s underperformance. As a result, I am experiencing a 12.16% loss in this stock.

BORORENEW
Bororenew is engaged in the manufacturing of low iron textured solar glass for use in photovoltaic panels and is the only solar glass manufacturer in India. As the world moves towards clean energy and solar power, this company is poised to play a significant role. The only issue with this company is the imposition of antidumping duties. I am holding this stock from lower levels.

BSE
The only listed exchange, BSE, has been the standout performer in my portfolio.

CDSL
The only listed depository, CDSL, is a key holding in my portfolio. I am holding it because it operates in a duopoly market.

EXIDEIND
Exide Industries holds a significant market share in the battery segment and has the first-mover advantage in Li-ion batteries as EVs and related technologies are becoming the future. The stock has recently started aligning with the company’s performance and growth story.

GPIL
This company has been excellent for me in terms of both financial performance and management execution. They are doing well with their business.

GUJGASLTD
Considering Gujarat Gas’s simple business model and limited growth prospects, I am planning to sell the share.

IEX
Holding this company since it was the monopolistic, and before the government interference, I feel this will jump back once the dust settles.

INFY
I would say Infosys for me was an accidental buy. I didn’t want to jump into large-cap, and that too in the IT sector. Once I clear up my losses, I am planning to sell this.

PRAJIND
Good Company run by excellent management.

PRICOL
This company is an interesting pick as it works as a proxy for the automotive sector.

PRINCEPIPE
Considering the growth story of India, we cannot write off the pipe sector, as it plays a significant role. Princepipe has a good story, and recently they included bath wares in their portfolio, which looks interesting.

RELIANCE
Reliance being the story of India.

TATAMOTORS
I bought this share because the Tata brand is synonymous with trust, and Tata Motors has been an excellent story of comeback and perseverance.

TATAPOWER
Being a major player in the power sector and the entire EV space, TATAPOWER holds a strategic position in two crucial industries shaping the future.

TATASTEEL
Tata Steel holds the position of being the biggest player in the steel industry space has significant influence and market presence.

TATATECH
I got this share as part of the IPO, always looking intresting Would like to buy it back when it’s in good levels again.

Philosophy
  1. I prefer companies that are not excessively large in size.
  2. I look for management teams that are actively interested in driving growth.
  3. I seek investments in dynamic sectors with growth opportunities.
  4. I prioritize companies with a positive profit and loss statement.
  5. I prefer companies that are either debt-free or have negligible debt, depending on the sector.

So my question boil down to following.

1. Is it okay to ignore valuations when you have a growth story in place?
  2. Is the strategy discussed so far reasonable enough to get me an average return of 19% YoY?
  3. Should I consider doing small profit bookings in between, or keep it all for the next decade?
  4. If you have a different viewpoint on the above-mentioned companies for the long run, please share?
4 Likes

Hii ,
One main thing which matters is how long you want to hold the businesses you are investing in. You need to be very clear whether you are investing in Business or in Stock Price. Are you more inclined towards momentum investing or more towards value Investing. You said you started investing in 2021 with a simple approach to accumulate stocks and now judging performance in just 3 Years.
If your Horizon is long , short term fluctuations hardly matter.
Also you can diversify into some Pvt Banks , Lenders as for India to Grow , these companies need to grow. Some stocks from Chemicals , Pharma Space can also be added. Also does not understood your rational to sell Infosys. It gives an exposure to IT Sector which very well balances the overall portfolio and is available at decent valuations. No recommendations.

1 Like

PSU Banks will grow more going forward, no long term call can be taken in a cyclical sector. Chemical has its own problems, Pharma has delivered muted returns over last 10-12 years.

1 Like

Hi @bharat19 Thanks for your comment.

I forgot to mention two things in this regard.
My holding time horizon is at least 12+ years.
Secondly, when I started investing, I had no framework in place. All I used to do was buy good companies, regardless of their size, even if they were mentioned in the news. I used to do just a very basic analysis of the stock, nothing more.
Over time, I felt that to get a good amount of gain, I needed to keep a framework in place that had high growth potential (growth in the company and then stock price over time) and I am not judging the stock performance on a 3-year horizon. Now I feel I have a few stocks that I would like to clear out from my portfolio because they don’t align with my framework .
I realized I need to have a story of the business, then the stock price will align with the growth of the company.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, How do you see the steel sector?