Mutual Fund Portfolio Review- Suggestions

Dear ValuePickr members.

I have been recently introduced to this community, I used to think that Reddit was a blackhole of investment wisdom and was very happy with reading threads on investments/equities. This community has blown away my mind and the pride that I hold concerning the knowledge I hold on investment instruments.

My Investment Journey (so far):

I started investing during the COVID lockdown and started learning about the Indian equity market. I initially invested in these mutual funds without a clear goal and bought units randomly:

1. UTI Nifty 50 Index Fund (inspired by John Bogle’s passive investing philosophy)
  2. UTI Nifty Next 50 Index Fund (inspired by John Bogle’s passive investing philosophy)
  3. Zerodha Nifty LargeMidcap 250 Index Fund (Saw this NFO from Zerodha and applied it as I was, I already interested in index funds and also like what Nithin/Nikhil from Zerodha are doing)
  4. Quant Active Fund (impressed by their VLRT approach)
  5. Ethical Fund (initially interested in ethical investing, but no longer contributing)

Rethinking My Portfolio:

After some reflection and further research, I realized my portfolio lacked direction. However, with a recent increase in income and savings, I’m ready to make some changes!

New SIP Plan (Equity Only):

Monthly SIP of ₹1,00,000 allocated as follows:

I removed the Zerodha Midcap and Largecap fund as it heavily overlaps with UTI Nifty twin index funds.

• UTI Nifty 50 Index Fund (20%)
  • UTI Nifty Next 50 Index Fund (20%)
  • Quant Small Cap Fund (20%) (added for exposure to small caps)
  • Quant Active Fund (20%)
  • Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund (20%) (added for long-term growth/value)

Additional Notes:

• I already have PPF, Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, SGB, physical gold, and a savings fund for my debt allocation.

Looking for Your Expertise:

I’d greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions on my revised portfolio. Does it make sense for my long-term investment goals? Should I consider adding or removing any funds?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks
Sanjay khan.

What are these? This is the first step, which can be used as a base, on which a MF PF can be built. One can invest without any too, but if they are defined, then it will help.

Even without anyone’s help, your overall investments look robust, covering debt, equity and gold.

1 Like

@ChaitanyaC Thanks for taking a look at my post. The overall investment goal of Equity MF is to build wealth to take care of long-term goals like (Children’s graduation , children’s marriage, and Post-retirement activities )
for short-term goals like( schooling, travel etc I am maintaining debt funds and emergency fund)

1 Like

Right. Then you can think of a corpus number, have a return expectation, choose funds based on the return expectation and the time you have for the goals, and invest accordingly, also keeping in mind that linear returns are not guaranteed.

Not to mention that, as your knowledge and experience grows with time, you may want to change how you invest, where you invest. So today’s investments are not permanent.

2 Likes

Can you explain your logic to add both these funds. These funds have same fund manager and most of their portfolio stocks are same. Isn’t it better to go for another flexicap fund instead?

Hi, @PeruRaj Thanks for taking a look at my post.

I wanted to have exposure to Multicap fund - hence Quant active fund( Nifty500 Multicap 50:25:25 - TRI)
Small-cap fund is to have specific exposure to small-cap funds.- Hence Quant small cap fund (TRINifty Smallcap 250 - TRI)

the logic is Active fund also invest in Small cap companies but there is a limitation (25-50% only) where as Small-cap fund can invest in small-cap companies (65-100%).

• can you please elaborate on this statement, as per my understanding there can be an overlap of a few companies but it can’t be like 100% of stocks are the same.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong, I am open to learning and correcting.

1 Like

I have been investing in MF for past 8 years now. The understanding about the MF investing has evolved during this time.

From regular MFs to Direct MFs.
From multiple # of MFs to a very few MFs.
From large cap MFs to index funds.
From funds with overlapping stocks to less overlapping.
From funds under one AMC to different AMCs.

Here is my current MF investment philosophy, it might/might not change again

• Value fund : I decided to go with Parag Parikh Flexi cap
  • Growth fund : Small + Mid cap : SBI small cap and Axis mid cap
  • Momentum fund : Quant Momentum fund
  • Index fund : I decided to go with UTI nifty next 50 instead of going with Nifty index fund because the % of overlap between PPFAS and Nifty 50 was higher compared to nifty next50.

Few basic principles that I follow

1. I avoid theme or sector based MFs.
  2. I also avoid investing from third party brokerage sites like Coin, Groww.
  3. On days and months like June 4 , 2024 or March 2020, I invest the through lumpsum before 2 PM.

I am still learning. I hardly sell (I lack the skill of selling)

5 Likes

Any specific reason for this? I find it convinient to invest on Coin since I have DMAT account with Zerodha. I can track all my Investments in single window instead of visiting different websites of Fundhouses.

1 Like

On days like June 4, the third party apps fail to allocate the same day NAV,

I have tried this twice this year.

Invested basic amount through Groww(just to test) and invested lumpsum through Parag parikh official website.

I placed both the orders before 2pm

Got allocated same day NAV through website while got next day NAV through Groww.

This has happened twice with me this year

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. faced the same issue with COIN on June 4 and got the allotment of June 5 NAV. :frowning:

raised this to ZERODHA put it on the Payment aggregator, and raised it to SEBI through the scores platform lets see.

but I will still continue with COIN as it eases the process.

1 Like

Hi @Rahul_Singh_Dhek Thanks for the inputs.

I have a question.

I have UTI nifty 50 index and nifty next 50 index fund in my portfolio. I have also bought Zerodha Large Midacap 250 fund at NFO. As far as I know, there is a huge overlap between Nifty twin index funds and Zerodha Large cap mid cap 250 funds.

I have UTI next 50 – current XIRR is 37.22 %
UTI 50 - - current XIRR is 24.15%

Zerodha LM 250 - new folio is currently at 14.69% absolute returns.

Per my research and understanding, I am stopping SIP in Nifty 50 and Nifty next 50 and continuing SIP in the Zerodha LM 250 index fund.

what do you think about this? any comments /suggestions.

Sorry to say this Sanjay, but I might not have much to say on this.

I too had SIP in nifty index fund but I stopped that SIP and currently continue to SIP in nifty next 50 index fund

Yes, your understanding is correct. These funds have around 40% overlap only and individual stock weightage differs as well.
What I meant is, when the fund manager is same, their thought process of investing will be same across the funds they manage (regardless of the Benchmark Index of the fund). Even with the restriction on Multicap fund to invest only 25-50% in small cap, they can still choose their best investment from their small cap fund and use that for the Multicap fund.
Hence isn’t it better to go for different fund managed by different manager? The reason I am asking is that I have Quant active fund and planning on adding one more fund from either small cap (Quant Small Cap) or Flexi cap category (Helios Flexi Cap).

You’re right. While that’s true about NAV allotment, does it really matter for long-term investments (more than 5 years)?

In my opinion, for such long time horizons, the NAV allotment on specific days (T+1, T+2) becomes less significant.

If your goal is to capitalize on lower prices, then ETFs are a great option, especially for broad market indexes like Nifty 50 or Next 50. They allow you to benefit from market downturns, but you do need to stay somewhat attuned to market movements.

For Groww site, I observed, if I place the order before 11 or 12 pm, I will get same day NAV allotted.