Mutual fund guideness required

Hi All,

I’m new to investing and trading, and I don’t know much about mutual funds. I’m looking to learn how to choose the right mutual fund. Does anyone have a checklist or guidelines to follow? How do you go about picking a mutual fund?

I’m planning for my future children’s education and my retirement. I’m 34 years old and haven’t made any investments yet. I don’t have children yet, but I’m planning to start saving now. I’m beginning to build an emergency fund and want to learn about the best options for term and health insurance.

At the same time, I’m considering investing in mutual funds. Could you please recommend five mutual funds for me to consider?

1 Like

I think it would be better if you consult an advisor who can create a complete financial plan for you, considering you are new to financial markets.

If you want to do it yourself, do not rush, 6 more months or 1 more year will not make any difference, if you can wait and gain some knowledge, and then plan according to your needs and goals.

2 Likes

Two options.

1. Get a good MFD advisor, not just someone who will select, but also guide you on MF investments.
  2. This requires some study - Go through the studt material that MFDs go thorough, from website Mutual Fund Distributors Certification Course Registration, India | NISM.

Disclaimer : I am also a MFD, but only work in a close circle of contacts. Definitely no scheme names from my end.

1 Like

Try quant mutal fund. They give best return in many catagory. 75 to 80% cagr for last one year.

Quant small and mid cap fund have cagr nearly 40%for last 5 years.

Start following https://www.valueresearchonline.com/

To me its the best platform for MF… you may use the fund screener option to select your mutual funds (preferably 4/5 star rated, having some track record, may start with Hybrid/Flexi Cap one)
They have done wonderful work since last two decades…follow them, hopefully you wont be disappointed.

Disc: Not a Financial Advisor

1 Like

Quant to me follows a more of a short term trading style of stock picking preferring momentum and timing over any long term fundamentals.

Their portfolio churn is the highest and they change stocks and their weightage every 2 months as soon as they start flatlining or declining. The average holding period for them is probably 12-14 months.

And they don’t seem to have any clear strategy, swinging with moods and direction of market. A few months ago their senior executive made a statement about not touching banks (specifically large ones) and now they have added HDFC and Kotak to their portfolio. Similarly on the day of exit poll when market was 3-4% up, they issued a very bullish statement about psu stocks (PSU index was some 6% up that day), highlighting high concentration of psu stocks in their portfolio holdings. The very next day when the market crashed and general optimism around psu stocks took a beating many psu stocks from Quant’s portfolio either disappeared or were trimmed.

They have been very bullish on Reliance having added that to their portfolio, giving it the biggest allocation, 6 months ago but let’s see what happens now as stock hasn’t performed in last 3-4 months.

This strategy may work with small AUM, but as AUM increases the transaction as well impact cost will also increase, making it difficult to follow the momentum trading style. We have enough data points in investment to show that timing the market requires more luck than skills. So far jury is still out on whether Quant has been enjoying the rub of the green or they actually have found a secret formula to predict the market movement.

2 Likes

See below their commentary on psu banks in Jan 2024. Worth noting bullish remarks on psu banks “PSU banks can double from here”.

Below article appeared in June this year where they disclosed they exited psu banks. So clearly these are trading calls they are taking as fundamentals of a basket of companies in a sector don’t change that much in 5 months that they go from “can double” to not worthy of being in portfolio.

Not sure whats the big issue if their calls seem more akin to trading calls rather than based on fundamentals. I dont think they have ever said they invest purely based on fundamentals. I do think they have time and again said their key strength and focus lies in identifying sector bullishness.

Now as far as the above articles are concerned, 2 points :-

1. Articles are 6 months apart - good enough time for a view to change.
  2. First article talks about PSUs as a basket. The exits mentioned in the 2nd article are specifically PSU banks. I believe they still have PSUs in their funds.

Having said that, to each his own. Those who think and believe that high turnover ratios are bad should obviously stay away from Quant funds. I personally belong to a club where I think a higher churn is infact needed to generate that alpha otherwise one might as well be in a basket of index funds ( which is what I think most mutual fund investors should in any case move towards ).

Their name itself is Quant, so it is no surprise that they go where they expect make some profit, so they change their views. Keynes said that he changes his views when facts change, so a fund’s management changing its views is not surprising or wrong. Their current views could be wrong do, after a few months, they may say something else. Booking profit at appropriate times, cutting losses quickly, moving from one opportunity to another, even at institutional level is beneficial, more so when investors are expecting miracles.

The other point you have mentioned is a pertinent one. If the AUM grows, would they be able to generate the same kind of returns? Can their strategies handle larger sums, considering the size of the market and investible universe is not that big?

No investment in Quant.

1 Like

Let me address your two points about the articles.

If you read the first article there is specific reference to psu banks and lots of fundamentals put forth by Mr Tandon stating why he thinks they can double. By the way you will never hear Prashant Jain using the word “double”.

In the same period they have added Hdfc and kotak bank to their portfolio. They were negative on hdfc bank early this year though.

So their view on banking sector has only become more constructive. There hasn’t been any adverse development on public sector banks both from macro and micro perspective in the same period. And it’s not that within six months public sector banks have generated any significant returns leading to profit booking at higher levels. So this u-turn on public sector banks can only be explained if one links this to election jitters and outcomes.

Similarly they extolled their macro theory about mining and metal sectors early this year, again highlighting their large holdings in stocks such as Hindustan Copper. Lots of fundamental arguments about their promising long term prospects. As per June data they have completely exited or reduced holdings in these stocks within a few months.

And post election total psu concentration in their portfolio has reduced dramatically which doesn’t jive well with their thesis of them being decadal stories.

I can give numerous examples of inconsistency and contradictions in their talk and walk. They have been reluctant to admit to the word “momentum” as core to their investment strategy, attributing their calls to fundamental analyses of macros, micros, using words like “decadal stories”.

Why not be honest and be transparent with your investors?

Also since their portfolio churn rate is through the roof, highest across any fund category, they still haven’t addressed that in any constructive way in any discussions. High churn rates are not only counterproductive to returns of a portfolio they also show lack of conviction of fund managers in their ability to stay true to a thesis for any appreciable time period.

And since mutual funds holding are public, many investors invest in a fund based on the portfolio construction. So if the portfolio construction changes more than 50% in a year it may also lead to early redemptions.

Debate around whether this approach is sound or not, scalable or not, proven or not, will only be settled in due course of time. But I wanted to provide a bit of more fact based color to this thread hoping that we see more detailed analysis of fund style and performances and not just focus on just their returns.

1 Like