Market Meltdown, the Virus, and our Actionables

Just finished a 2 hour wonderfully educative session from someone who has a great grip on Indian Economy.

Actionable 1:
They have been doing these what they call so eloquently KYC - Know Your Country sessions regularly with a few Higher Secondary Schools, Business Schools like IIMs & ISB, CFA Forums, GOI Bureaucrats, Company Managements. They are passionate evangelists for knowing your country. [Todays younger generation knows more about US economy than they know about Real India perhaps, was a wry comment]. They ask about 20 multiple choice questions. The usual highest top scorer is ~8/20. one ISBian had a score of 9. Even CFA Forums (supposed to be knowledgable Investors - not even 10-11 highest scorer. Average scores are much lower!

They will be happy to conduct a ZOOM session for VP members who login. Please watch this space/await details. Will share a typical KYC Video conducted by them soon. Our questions will be a different set :slight_smile:. Typically an 1 hour session. Maybe we should request for a 2 hour session - so there can be really interesting follow up questions session :slight_smile:

Ex Q: IMA has 11.2 lakh Doctor Members. 9.4 lakh Doctors do private practice. Rest do not (may be aged/otherwise restricted). How many Doctors in India file I/Tax Returns
a) 9 Lakh b) 6 Lakh c) 3.5 Lakh

Implications: Average Doctor earnings in India 37 lakhs/annum. So where does the unaccounted for Income go? And so on. You get the picture, right?

Actionable 2:
This was a really energising eye-opening Macro initiation session for a “baccha” in Macros. Couldn’t have asked for a more cogent, more lucid, more structured initiation into this important aspect of Investor Awareness (notwithstanding what some Skeptics may repeatedly argue against usefulness of). I have 16 pages of back-to-back Notes in Donald style, which I will transcribe (big, but energising task) and seek permission before sharing (commentary should be shareable - with caveats - need to appreciate that completely - so hold your horses, for couple of days?). Backed up by Structured slides ((will be sharing shortly)

Actionable 3:
We get down to some brass stacks work - ideas that I have been mulling over for some time - but not having a good grip to share for public consumption, yet. Taking some help from smarter folks experienced in this Art form. My own speed may be faster now, owing to above Actionables.

Requesting everyone again to keep an open mind to everything we come across from any passionate learner. We should certainly establish an opposing valid perspective, if we have one. But let’s NOT be dismissive to any different perspective (than ours). Repeatedly opinionating against, even after establishing a valid opposing point, NOT useful from a continuous learning perspective. The ONLY thing that achieves is …pour water over someone’s infectious enthusiasm!

Let’s build towards a VP Culture that is non-aggressive, especially accommodative of very diverse viewpoints, completely OPEN to new substantiated perspectives (not opinion pieces, that we should guard against). That applies to every debate/discussion on every thread. Wherever we see over-aggression {which is bound to happen sometimes (hopefully not often) in passionate folks like us}, lets take a step back / remind ourselves of Mr D’s homilies …be humble, be kind, be open…especially let’s be mindful/careful of pouring water over someone’s enthusiasm (unintentional).

I still remember the early debates in 2010 about Fundamental vs Technicals and high dismissiveness in those early days (extremely prevalent among so-called Value Investors). We chose a different path of exploring, and see where we are on that today. 6 of our Top20VPContributors are technically proficient, to very proficient!

25 Likes