Marico Limited (NSE: MARICO)

In the post I have tried to list down the reasons about how Marico has fallen into a mature phase, and what could be way forward for the company.

7 Likes

https://www.bseindia.com/stock-share-price/marico-ltd/MARICO/531642/disclosures-insider-trading-2015/

Promoter buying

4 Likes

Meanwhile while every company is coming out with Hand sanitizer, Marico goes ahead and launches this!

Innovation at its best!

Veggie Clean Fruits & Vegetables Washing Liquid

2 Likes
2 Likes

ITC too has launched a similar product

https://amateur.finance.blog/ good analysis of marico business and prospects

3 Likes

Latest update from company

Overall current run rate @ 90% of FY20 avg monthly run rate already…one of the quickest recovery

1. Edible oil doing very well, parachute resilient,
  2. Int biz is majorly doing fine( Bangladesh and Vietnam)
  3. New launches to add to performance
  4. A&P and other cost controls should help margin profile- steady if not improving

Overall a predictable performance and visibility in current environment. Fair valuations.

Invested

3 Likes

Veggie wash is getting good attraction. 3400+ ratings on flipkart already in 50 days.

3 Likes

Good to know and see this! I had checked in Amazon but there are so many junk products there with similar name that this genuine product seems to get lost. Have you checked Amazon?

Also, with Dabur and ITC also launching Veggie wash with similar name and quality - Confusing days ahead for consumers and platforms.

Anyone aware of which among these vegetable cleaning product is available with local kiranas more readily?

1 Like

This is probably more of a Tier 1 city / Ecomm related launch I feel rather than a General trade / Kirana one.

Also Marico had first mover advantage on Ecomm and the product had a one month headstart on Flipkart before the others.

With ITC now offering much better pricing than Marico, remains to see how Marico will respond

2 Likes

At Tata Star Bazaar, Hadapsar, Pune - Veggie clean is displayed prominently at 3 locations. At kitchen detergent section, near vegetable section and also at the top of cash counters. I picked one from near vegetable section as an impulse purchase and saw one customer picking it up from cash counter as impulse purchase again. However, didn’t see anyone going near the detergent shelf to pick it up (Near Vim, etc.). This signifies a lot of impulse purchase of it for now.

Hoping that once habit develops, it comes into the shopping lists as well (people going to shelf to buy it). Only then the volumes will sustain / grow.

3 Likes

I saw(online) that ITC product also comes with a sprayer, I think that will make it more handy… Plus pricing difference as you mentioned. More important to see how public will respond. :blush:

Brother, don’t get trapped into “Chemicals are bad” propaganda or “Chemophobia”. people get scared with dihydrogen monoxide but that is just water. chemicals are everywhere, it is important to know their function.

4 Likes

I never mentioned Dihydroden Monoxide. I do know the benefits of chemicals bro. I am not trapped by any propaganda. Its basic simple step that can be followed at home instead of washing them with these. Common man doesn’t bother to go check the pros and cons of chemical ingredients in such wash for veggies.

1 Like

I think it’s a trade off, like all things in life…which chemicals are more bad, is chemical more bad or microorganism etc. And its relevance during or post pandemic etc…

Yet another new very relevant Products from Marico in Health & Hygiene. This time its disinfectant sprays for surfaces

Disc: Invested

1 Like

Yes, just like the products of ITC, HUL, Cavinkare, Godrej, Dabur, Reckitt Benckiser and Piramal.

ITC & Cavinkare products are priced the lowest, followed by Piramal & Dabur. Then comes Godrej followed by Marico. Finally are the products of Reckitt Benckiser & HUL. So, Marico has opted for a slight premium pricing. :slight_smile:

I like the fact that they have named it Marico’s Travel Protect. So, they may finally come to understand that they need to brand their company name also. All domestic biggies have a good branded company name like Dabur, Godrej & ITC, which is what Marico wasn’t doing so far.

5 Likes

Very true, it’s the classic house of brands vs Branded house marketing dilemma. Good that Marico has come to its senses and followed the latter since it has only 2-3 brand names with strong pull and none of those make sense to extend for this range.

But from a consumer perspective , many including me might view this as an unnecessary expenditure of the times we live in and not something I would buy in a post corona world. In that sense , ITC being the cheapest product would be my no. 1 preference

1 Like

I was not aware its such a crowded market already! All MBAs/company employees think alike it seems…out of the box but inside a bigger box :slight_smile: Dettol is rightfully sold out. All companies have similar supply chain and ecommerce websites is at service to all. Who has right to win, cant say and if market is big enough for all, cant say…

2 Likes